• Published 5th Dec 2012
  • 2,185 Views, 16 Comments

Shadow of the Heart - TuniPeace



Twilight does research on the Crystal pony Empire and comes across some hidden archives

  • ...
7
 16
 2,185

finale

The fair was fast approaching. Princess Quartzia was becoming more and more ill by the day. Sombra made his appearance known now. The Alicorn needed help getting around the Empire and the gray unicorn helped. Sombra was upset that she was doing these things for the ponies that once teased and feared them. Now she was near death and Quartzia still made it a need to get the fair underway.


Finally, it was the day of the fair. Early morning, Sombra helped the Princess put on some ceremonial red robes. She was pale and in a cold sweat. However, when Quartzia looked at her friend, for a moment she felt better. They both knew that their company together was the best medicine.

Quartzia made it a priority to show him to all of her close guards and trusted advisers. She put her front leg around Sombra and waved to subjects and visitors alike. The Alicorn Empress made him stick to her like glue. Quartzia wanted to show the gray unicorn joys, happiness, peace and love, the community coming together, the laughter and discovery of meeting new ponies and learning from each other.
They freely went to events, like the jousting, and the crafts section. They saw the different animals from the forest and the farms had gathered. They viewed rare animals that she specially sent for from south of the Empires border. The couple ate sweet foods and hearty meals. Sombra and Quartzia even found time to joke and talk within one of their free time sessions between events.


"Did I ever tell you that I'm an artist?" Quartzia Rose asked Sombra.

"No you did not." He replied. "I just believed that you were an overly outgoing mare that would love the shadow on a fly"

"Well, why not?"


Sombra sighed and rolled his eyes. The Princess reached for the unicorns hoof. She looked forward at him and gently shook her head, with a light smile.


"Sombra," Quartzia sighed. "As long as we are alive we must live with others. No, I do not appreciate the buzzing of a fly but it will always buzz. The world we live has always been this way, and it will always fly around us ponies. So why waste so much energy and time plotting and hating, when it is easier to love and forget the little flaws of others?"


Sombra stood at the table, slamming his hoofs down on its surface. He gritted his teeth and turned away from the compassionate Princess.


"You’re being false with yourself!" He snapped. "Do you not despise anything? Any pony!"

"I do." She answered. "I despise hatred of any kind. Prejudging of any kind and using my emotion or losing my emotions to some ponies will when they try to upset me. I shall not have another pony use my emotions to make me into something that I do not like. If I do not like the way they are acting, then I shalt stoop to their level! I will be better. Unfortunately, you cannot see that. I care for you Sombra. You were the first friend, besides my father, that I ever had, I will always care about you. And even though you shall never say it, I know that I have planted something within you."


The Princess leaves the table ahead of him. Sombra lowers his head and looks at her walking slowly away through the tops of his eyes. The gray unicorn’s eyes starting to shine red again within the irises.
The Princess gathered every pony within the Empire to the base of the Palace. She had a four-foot podium with what looked like a crystallized heart. It was small, only about 4 inches or so. Just small, enough to fit within a ponies hoof.


"Mares and gentle-colts, hear ye, hear ye! This is your Empress Quartzia Rose De Crystal speaking to you, my dear Empire ponies and visitors. Your Empress has constructed a commemorative Crystal Heart to mark this day. This heart is of special crystals that are similar to the Elements of Harmony. When you concentrate love and compassion into the crystal, it will send a wave of energy throughout a limited area, within about a 30-hoof radius or so. I have instructed all the Crystal Masons to construct one for every citizen and visitor alike, so that love can spread across the world."


The crowd of ponies looked at each other. They smiled and talked positively about this invention of the Princess. The Princess then demonstrated with the Crystal Heart she had. Quartzia placed her horn on the small heart, concentrating love and peace into it. The heart then slightly vibrated and shot a gentle wave of light-rainbow energy out from its self. The ponies closest to her felt the love and compassion of the wave. They laughed and smiled. Sombra was just behind those ponies. He got Dizzy and almost passed out.
The energy made him sick and uneasy. The energy stopped a little over a minute. Sombra was starting to make his way through the crowd when Quartzia fell. Her eyes rolled back and she slightly turned her head side to side.


"Quartzia, darn it! Out of my way, now!" He demanded. "It is that foolish love energy!"


Sombra made his way even past the guards. He got to his knees and raised her close to his chest. She was very limp and her eyes slightly opened. Quartzia remembered the feel of her friend. She wrapped her front legs around his neck and coughed.


"It is alright, my dearest and closest, most beloved friend." The Princess assured.


The red-horned unicorn shut his eyes tightly and shook his head, gritting his teeth.

"If you did not exhaust yourself on these ungrateful ponies-"

"So you do wish me around, you? Hmm?" Quartzia cooed at Sombra. She raised her head and looked at the Crystal Heart.


The nurses arrived to take her within the Palace but she refused. Instead, she raised The Crystal Heart with her magic. Concentrating all of her power, and will into it. The Crystal Heart grew to about two feet in diameter. She then enchanted the heart to stay in place at the base of the palace.

"My fellow ponies, I shalt be around very much longer. I'm about to pass."


The crowd gasped and cried in horror and shock. They looked around at each other with fright and nervousness.


"Hear me!" She demanded. "I leave you with this gift. It is my plan from before but on a larger scale. Instead of having one heart for every pony, all of you shall share your love with the Empire and the world. Just concentrate your love and hopes into the heart and a wave of pure peace and loving serenity shall pass over the lands of the world. Try it."


The ponies followed her direction. They bowed their heads and concentrated. Suddenly a strong wave rushed out of the heart. Sombra had an adverse effect to the wave. Blasted from Quartzia, Sombra caught a post mid-air and held on.


"Sombra, Sombra!" The Princess cried out to him. She turned on to her belly and reached for him within the blowing wave. His body was starting to crack and flake. The unicorn yelled in agony.
The wind of love and peace stopped after a few moments. The broken unicorn crawled over to the now sitting Princess. He fell to her lap and passed out. Quartzia looked down at him sad and disappointed. Tears dropped from her eyes as she pet his dark mane.


"We truly are different. Your body has turned to harden crystal with hate and distrust for any pony. Any love that I try to give you or show you, you hate."


The Princess sobbed, holding Sombra close to her. His wounds began to heal. He awoke and shot up out of Quartzia Rose's arms. The Alicorn looked at him with caution and concern. Raising a hoof to her mouth tears dropped from her widened eyes. She coughed and cried at the same time. Sombra held her close to him, putting her head on his shoulder. The Princess shut her eyes and sobbed.


"I was going to make you my king. However, I cannot. Not only because I am about to pass away, you would do wrong to our fellow ponies."


He took Quartzia by her shoulders and looked at her. Tears were dropping from her eyes. His mouth was slightly agape.


"You care of these ponies more than me?" Sombra asked with a gentle anger.

"I care about the ponies, yes. But you are the shadow of my heart." Answered Quartzia Rose. She rubbed her hoof on his cheek. "And I know that I'm the light within yours. Am I not?"


The gray unicorn looked away from her and took in a deep breath.

"You will not even answer your dying Princess?" She joked.

"You’re not going to pass. Especially not like this on the palace grounds in front of all these ponies." He snapped.

"Even though you will never say it, I will for the both of us."


The Princess, with the last bit of her strength pulled herself close to Sombra. She put her mouth to his ear.


"I love you." She said quietly. Sombra turned his face to hers. They faced each other. The Princess looked forward at him and then pressed her lips to his. She deeply and willingly kissed him for all the subjects to see. The red-horned unicorn was frozen and still. As if he had never been kissed before and did not expect it from his close companion. Quartzia released herself from him. Wiping his lips of her kiss and lightly smiling.


"I, I love, I love-" Said Princess Quartzia with her last breath. She collapsed in Sombra's arms, her body lifeless.

"Quartzia, Quartzia Rose, stop it! Quartzia if this is some type of silly joke for me to say those silly words, fine! Quartzia Rose, I, I care about you. If I did not I would not be with you, you know that!" Yelled Sombra.


He shook her lightly trying to wake her. The unicorn started to breathe heavily and looked at her up and down. The Nurse Ponies went down next to him and the lifeless Princess. They checked her, looked at one another, then at Sombra and the guards. They shook their heads and started to cry.


"I'm so very sorry. She's, she's gone. She has passed." Regretfully said one of the Nurses. Sombra shook his head. The guards and the people gasped and cried out in disbelief and sorrow.


"Quartzia, No! No, darn it, you are stronger than this! You’re stronger than death!" The gray unicorn pleaded.


Sombra tightly held Quartzia Rose close to him, raising her head to his shoulder. He started rocking with her back and forth. He then shut his eyes tightly. Purple energy flowed from his eyes. The unicorn’s teeth became sharp again. The nurse pony tapped him on the shoulder. Sombra's eyes popped open with red irises. Startled and sorry, The Nurse tried to talk reason with him.


"We, we need to take her away. Her body needs to-"

"You… All of you… That is all any of you ever wanted to do, take and take! Selfish!" Snapped Sombra.
The Nurse backed away and looked on at him. The red-horned unicorn darted his eyes around at the crowd. He then raised his head and looked around at them angrily. The ponies backed away and gazed at him. Suddenly a shadowy wave came from the emotional unicorn, blasting the guards away from him.

"All you ponies ever wanted to do was take and never give back! Abandon those that are different. Now you love her because she is dead! Love her when she gives you treats and fairs. Not when all she wanted was your love freely, she had to pay for it! I know that it is the work of this, this 'love Crystal Heart'. It is the last part of the Princess's love for this ungrateful empire. Henceforth, none of you shall ever see it again!

"Sombra Said. He soon kept his word, hiding the Crystal Heart in a place were no pony would ever find it again. Who so ever reads this, please help us. We are sorry for what we have done to these two children of the Empire. But the future generations should not suffer the same fate as we are now for our foolishness." Read Twilight. "That, that's it Princess. Sombra took over the Empire out of what he felt was revenge to the prejudging ponies. He did not see that Quartzia was going to make it a better place for every pony. "

"Neigh Twilight sparkle, he did see that." Princess Celestia corrected. "He knew that the ponies of the Empire were opening their hearts and minds to differences. Nevertheless, he felt that they did not deserve of such compassion after all the wrong that the ponies had caused to both him and Quartzia. As the Beloved Princess said, 'You should be better than those that treat you wrong'. Luckily Luna and I had heard news of this occurring, but not until many months later, after her death."


Twilight Sparkle looked around and lowered her head. She sighed and closed her eyes.


"There was something else that I noticed. Princess Celestia." She confessed.

"Oh? What may that be?" The Princess asked.

"The Crystal Heart is similar to the Elements of Harmony. She seemed to pour her soul into it, at least a part of it. All of her power went into that heart."

"Yes, and there is a part of Luna's and my spirit within the elements also." Answered The Princess. "Every pony that wields the Elements of Harmony puts in a piece of their hopes, dreams, love and soul. Luna and I did and now you and your friends so will the next generation after you. That is how we live on and how harmony becomes stronger. No matter in death or within life, harmony and love shall never die. The spirit of it lives on. But so does hate and chaos unfortunately." Answered Celestia.


Twilight nodded her head and then went over to Celestia. Celestia lowered a wing and embraced the little unicorn with it.


"Oh my, Equestria, That was boring." Snapped Discord. "You, purple little pony. You are not invited to the palace for a month! Bringing that mush fest around here and killing the mood of my awesome presence."


Discord crossed his arms and tapped his Lizard foot fast paced, looking at first Twilight Sparkle and then Celestia. Celestia and Twilight's mouths fell open.


Then Twilight said, "But that was ancient historical information."

Discord snapped "Yes 'ancient' history. Now you go and date a nice worm from the garden and see if he would be willing to read with you while my little 'rainbow sherbet' and I try to wash off that snooze fest with some jam filled hoof shoes."


The Alicorn and Unicorn looked at the Draconequus and made displeasing grunts. He looked at them and then cocked his head back.


"We were not going to eat them! We were going to catapult them into towns around Equestria!" He answered.

"That was you?" Snapped Twilight.

"oh, well, um, I think my cat is in the oven; got to see if it is still needs its litter changed." Said the mischievous being as he started to float away.

"That was you?" Celestia snapped.


Discord turned to Celestia and sighed. He lowered his eyelids and shoulders.


"Really Celestia, you don't know me by now?" He answered.


Twilight and Celestia gave chase to the flying, laughing and taunting Discord. The two of them also playfully laughing and taunting him back.


Thee End.

Author's Note:

Yes i put Discord around the end of this chapter to show that chaos and harmony can still work with one another. And it connects with my other fan fiction. You see Sombra could not balance his hatred for others and instead of living with the princesses example his loathing grew even more.

Comments ( 13 )

Very nice :twilightsmile:

This whole thing had a nice "fairytale-ish"-feel in it. Liked it a lot :twilightsmile:

that's the feel that i was looking for. Kind of something lost and flowing in time. a forbidden history

I honestly never thought I'd feel bad for King Sombra.

yes, very good, I am favoriteing this story

It was a nice idea and a great try so this gets a like, but you still have a long way to go. :heart:

Finally getting of my flank to read it and it's beautiful.
It's the tragic love story every true villain should have.

Magnificent och good work

Nice story- I like your depiction of Sombry~! :pinkiehappy:

Loved the story it's great

Login or register to comment