• Published 5th Dec 2012
  • 15,535 Views, 800 Comments

Apples and Wheat - TheAlmightySage



The Apple Family decides to plant wheat this year and end up with a surprise house guest.

  • ...
28
 800
 15,535

Wolf and Pink Surprises II

Archivist's Notation: Many thanks to Jamza, Titan, and Venom0861 for their editing and suggestions.

---Apples and Wheat---

Don't
Panic.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

---Wolf and Pink Surprises II---

------

"Y'all ain't got a lick of shame do ya?" Applejack asked the grinning wolfish mare while she put away the now empty display baskets.

"Are you implying that you would not have increased the price eventually? Remember this season shall be a small one for apple harvesting," Holo replied casually.

Applejack just grunted noncommittally. She couldn't exactly argue with Holo's point, but it still bothered her.

Holo was very much aware of Applejack's rather sour mood. Perception was one of her strongest points after all. Sensing this was most likely a moral issue, Holo decided it was best to clear the air between her and Applejack as best she could.

"Are you upset over the high price that I set or did my method upset you?" Holo asked with genuine concern.

Applejack paused and looked at Holo, her face was etched with inner conflict, before she closed her eyes for a moment and let out a sigh. "Ah don't approve of lying to anypony, especially in business, but ya are right, Ah was gonna have ta raise the price eventually."

"I was not dishonest when I told Morbucks the price, but you feel I should have told him of the price increase compared to the normal price, correct?" Holo asked while she placed the sales apron back under the booth's counter.

"More or less," AJ replied with a shrug as she slipped the day's profits into a pouch in her saddlebag.

"I shall take that into account," Holo said with a genuine smile.

"Thank ya, Holo," Applejack replied with a genuine smile of her own.

------

Scattered about Twilight's desk were various books on the northern provinces; included in the "finished reading" pile was Wolves and the Dangers thereof, An Equestrian's Guide to Predators, and the controversial Wolves, Reindeer, and Why They Hate Each Other. These books were quite old, but were traditionally considered mostly reliable by the majority of academic circles. However, all these books had one major flaw: they had a very biased view of the Wolf Tribes and tended to instill paranoia in the reader. Sadly, this was a fact unknown by Twilight Sparkle...

The lands of the northern provinces, which lie just beyond Neighagra Falls and between Equestria and the Crystal Empire, are oft' called the Wild Lands for good reason. Many are the dangers of the North, but much can be learned from the wolves, and occasional pony or griffin, who call the north their home..., Twilight read from A Scholar's Guide to the North, as her quill danced across a scroll at her side taking notes.

"Twilight?"a familiar voice called, but was ignored.

The Northern Lands are best known for the Wolf Tribes, who have called that land their home for time beyond memory and have defended their homeland from invaders for just as long. Not even the Griffin Kingdom's finest warriors could lay claim by force...

"Twilight," the voice called out louder this time, but was again ignored in favor of the prose before the young librarian's eyes.

Being the traditionalists that they are, the Wolf Tribes are still ruled and guided by the clan of Wise Wolves. According to legend, the greatest of these Wise wolves was named Holou the Wise Wolf, who dwelt in the forest called Yoitz long before Princess Luna's banishment. Her pack stood uncontested for winters beyond count. None could best Holou or her pack; no wolf, nor pony or griffin could contest the Wise Wolf. Holou's wisdom, strength, and cunning are often praised by the Wolf Tribes as the reason they were able to defend their homeland so well in the post-unification age of expansionism.

Twilight gulped nervously and her eyes widen even further as she read the next paragraph.

It is said that Holou stood a full twenty feet from paw to shoulder and over fifty feet from nose to the tip of her tail. Legends speak of Holou's fangs crushing boulders like ice and her claws tearing a full grown tree into kindling with a single strike. It is also said that Holou's thirst could empty an entire lake in one sitting and her hunger was so great that she could devour over a hundred head of sheep before feeling satisfied.(1)

Twilight's eye began to twitch as the creeping paranoia, caused by the previous books, grew to a mild panic at the thought of a wolf of such size and ferocity staying anywhere near Ponyville.

According the oldest lore of the wolves, the only spirit that was able nearly defeat Holou was the mountainous Moon-Hunting Bear, believed by modern scholars to be a reference to the fabled Mother of all Ursae. This great beast brought terror in its wake and nearly destroyed the forest of Yoitz, but was finally driven out of the north, when Holou led every wolf of the Wolf Tribes to battle against the Moon-Hunting Bear, though at a great cost.

"Twilight," the voice called again, but still went unheeded.

Then one day, many winters after the defeat of the Moon-Hunting Bear an envoy from the Princesses of Equestria came to visit the Wolf Tribes. After the envoy's visit, Holou became fascinated by the lands to the south and did indeed leave her home of Yoitz to...

"Twilight!" Spike nearly shouted, as he tried to pull his big sister/boss out of her book-induced trance.

"Ah!" Twilight jumped in startled panic from Spike's sudden outburst, landing on her back with a thud.

"Oh, um sorry, Twilight, but I've been calling you for like ten minutes," Spike explained apologetically.

"It's fine, Spike," Twilight said with a sigh, as she got back up on her hooves with a groan. "I just got a bit lost in my research."

"Is that what you're calling this?" Spike deadpanned, pointing to the various piles of books that were scattered around Twilight's desk.

"Guess I made a bit of a mess, huh?" Twilight said with a sheepish chuckle.

"Not the first time," Spike replied with a shrug before he started picking books up off the floor. "What were you looking for anyways?"

"I was trying to find more information about the legend that Applejack mentioned yesterday," Twilight explained as she tried to find her place in the chapter she had been reading. "It's about a wolf named Holo, that is said to dwell in wheat."

"A wolf named Holo?" Spiked asked looking at Twilight over the two books he as carrying.

Twilight nodded while flipping through a book. "Apparently it's an old name, very old," Twilight answered while she levitated her notes up, "And it's been difficult to find much of anything about her, but according to what little I have found: Holo is a very old 'wise wolf', has known the Princesses from before even Luna's banishment, can cause wheat growth to triple, once lived in a forest called Yoitz, then began wandering through various towns along the Equestrian border."

Spike blinked trying to take in all the information. "Sounds like a lot to me."

"True, but the problem is, the tales about this wolf are so old they are considered to be myths, even by the wolves, so there's not a great deal of detail in the records, just various bits of scattered folklore," Twilight explained with a twinge of panic in her creeping into her voice as she rubbed her forehead.

"Hmm, that name sounds kinda familiar though," Spike said scratching his chin thoughtfully.

"How so, Spike?" Twilight asked without looking up from her book.

Spike shrugged then started placing the books back on the shelves. "I think Rarity mentioned a pony with that name when I went by to see if she needed help with anything."

"Rarity met a pony named Holo?" Twilight asked looking up from her book with a twitching ear.

"Yeah, it was somepony Applejack had with her, I think," Spike replied casually before he turned around and ended up nose to nose with Twilight.

"Spike, tell me everything Rarity said," Twilight demanded sternly with her right eye twitching.

Spike gulped and nodded. "Su...sure thing, Twilight."

------

"Oh, oh check out this humdinger of a whizz banger!" Pinkie said excitedly as she held up a brightly colored hinged top box with a spring mounted boxing glove dangling out of it.

"Uh, Pinkie who are you showing that to?" A confused Rainbow Dash inquired from behind her.

"Nobody in particular," Pinkie answered cheerfully, before she trotted over to Rainbow Dash.

"Okay?" Rainbow Dash answered still slightly confused, but put off the oddness as Pinkie just being Pinkie.

Old Mister Wisecrack, the stallion that owned the Joke Shop, dipped his newspaper low enough to check up on his two best customers. Rainbow Dash had been one of his regulars for quite sometime, then almost immediately after Pinkie had moved to Ponyville she had made it know to Wisecrack that his shop was the "bestest best joke shop she'd ever seen". Wisecrack chuckled at the memory before calling out to his customers.

"You gals sure you don't need any help?"

"Nah, we're good." Rainbow answered casually from the goofy glasses aisle.

"Alright then girls, just holler when you're ready to check out," Wisecrack replied before returning to his newspaper's comic section.

"Anyway, are you sure I can't set up a prank or two at the party?" Rainbow Dash asked as she inspected a bottle of hot sauce disguised as liquid sweetener.

"Yeppers, no pranks this time, Dashie" Pinkie answered while trying on various goofy glasses. "I don't wanna give the new pony in Ponyvile the impression that I'm obsessed with parties and pranks."

"Seriously, Pinkie?" Rainbow asked incredulously.

Pinkie Pie slowly turned to face her friend and spoke in calm, even voice.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" Pinkie asked, still wearing the hot pink goofy glasses with one googly eye looking left while the other looked somewhere to the right.

Dash put a hoof to her mouth to hold back her snickering. "Um, are you sure you want me to answer that?"

------

"You're positive that's everything, Spike?" Twilight asked as she scribbled furiously on a scroll.

"Yeah, that's um, everything," Spike answered a bit concerned at Twilight's increasingly panicky behavior. "Um Twilight, are you sure this is a bad thing? I mean Rarity said Applejack and Holo were acting like friends."

"I know, Spike, but I'd rather be prepared just in case," Twilight explained as she rolled up the scroll then quickly sealed it and held it out to Spike "Here send this to the Princess, while I go find Applejack and her wolf."

"Um, Twilight are you completely sure this is, um something we need to let Princess Celestia know about?" Spike asked as he eyed Twilight's frazzled mane and twitching eye, nervously.

"Yes! Spike, this wolf could be..." Twilight started, but was interrupted by a sharp knock on the door.

Spike and Twilight stared at the door for a moment, before the series of knocks repeated.

"Do you um, want me to get that, Twilight?" Spike asked while he fidgeted with the scroll between his claws.

Twilight sighed. "No, I'll get it. I'm about to head out anyways."

"I'll just send this off, I guess," Spike muttered to himself looking down at the scroll warily.

The knocking at the door rang out again, in an inpatient way.

"One second!" Twilight called out in a slightly annoyed tone, before trotting over to the door.

Griping the handle with her magic Twilight practically flung the door open. Revealing Applejack at the door with her hoof held up in midair ready to knock once more and a tan mare wearing a white beret with a black vest, who was looking around at the tree house with keen interest.

"Applejack! Great timing, I was about to go look for you!" Twilight exclaimed a bit too loudly, before she grasped her friend by the shoulders. "I've found more information on that wolf you mentioned!"

"Um, that's good Twi', but Ah doubt Ah'll be, um needing that info now," Applejack answered, a bit taken aback by Twilight's slightly panicky tone and matching frazzled hair.

"Nonsense! This is extremely important!" Twilight declared firmly, before leaning in and whispering conspiratorially, "This Holou wolf could be dangerous. What if it's hungry? What if it likes the taste of ponies? What if it wants a sacrifice?"

"Um, Twi don'tcha think that's a bit much?" Applejack asked glancing between Twilight and Holo, nervously noting the growing frown on the wolfish mare's face.

Holo, meanwhile, was watching this little scene unfold with increasing annoyance.

This is the Sun Nag's personal student? Already panicking at the mere thought of a wolf and thinking I would eat a pony? I see this mare was taught well, indeed, Holo thought sourly, before an idea occurred to her and small smile graced Holo's face.

"If I maybe so bold?" Holo interjected, catching Applejack and panic mode Twilight's attention. "Perhaps, we should speak inside where no one can eavesdrop upon us?"

"Great idea!" Twilight declared before grabbing the other two mares by a shoulder and yanking them into the library, slamming the door shut behind them.

"Just let me find my books and notes!" Twilight announced in a panicky sing song.

"Um, Twi'? Ah think there's something Ah oughta tell ya," Applejack ventured as Twilight dug through her various books and notes at a manic pace.

"Aaand what might that be?" Twilight asked, looking up at Applejack with an overly stressed smile and a twitching right ear.

Oh fiddle sticks, Twi's done gone into a panic, Applejack thought to herself.

"Um, well about this wolf yer worried over, well it ain't a big a deal as ya seem ta think because of um..." Applejack slowly ventured, wracking her mind for the best way to explain things.

Applejack would've continued to fumble for words, had not the sound of the library door's bolt being thrown and locked shut startled her and Twilight.

"I do believe I can explain things the best, my dear Apple mare." Holo stated as she turned away from the securely locked door.

"If an' say so," Applejack agreed hesitantly.

"Explain what?" Twilight asked, her eyes nervously darting between AJ and the new tan mare, while Spike watched curiously from the stairs.

Holo slowly approached Twilight in an almost predatory gait, allowing herself a devious smile at the young unicorn's growing panic and nervous fidgeting. Holo caught glimpse of the young dragon, but decided he was not an immediate threat to her fun.

"This wolf you speak of is called 'Holou' in your books, correct?" Holo asked as she sat in front of Twilight, who was still twitching and fidgeting nervously.

Twilight nodded vigorously and answered. "Yes! They also say it's a very powerful wolf..."

"Well your books are wrong in that respect." Holo stated matter-of-factly, interrupting Twilight's wild eyed answer. "The proper name, translated into Common, would be 'Holo' and not 'Holou'. I imagine it is error from translating Old Equish into Common," Holo said as she idly flicked a hoof through her mane. "Holo had dealings with ponies in the old days and found no joy at the thought of eating a pony. There are in fact many tales of her traveling with and amongst all pony tribes. Furthermore, Holo is a female, not an 'it'."

She's talking about this as if she knows these things from firsthoof experience! Who is this mare?!, Twilight thought as she sat dumbfounded by this new mare and her authoritative tone that left no room for argument.

Holo noted the young unicorn's perplexed expression and continued her explanation and grinned inwardly. "Holo is often called the Wolf that Dwells in the Wheat or the Wise Wolf amongst the various pony tribes. And her wisdom and cunning is said to rival that of the Princesses."

"Bu...but ho..how?" Twilight found her voice in stutters after the shock of revelation, then her voice went back to panic. "How do you know all that?! These are some of the oldest legends on the continent!"

"Um, well Twi' ya see..." Applejack started, but was silenced by Holo with an upheld hoof.

"I know these things..." Holo said with a bit of a smirk, before she pulled off her white beret revealing her white tipped wolfish ears and swaying her tail in such a way to show its white tip to Twilight. "Because I am Holo the Wise Wolf of Yoitsu," Holo finished firmly with a smile that showed her fangs.

Twilight's eyes grew to the size of dinner plates as her mane sprang, with an audible twang, into various frazzled directions. Then, with an accusing hoof pointed at Holo, she promptly fainted, hitting the floor with a rather hard thud. (2)

"Hmm, I suppose that was a bit overly dramatic of me," Holo said wearing a self satisfied smile.

Applejack just facehoofed, while Spike ran off to get the first aid kit.

--Next Episode: Wolf and Pink Surprises III--(3)

Author's Note:

1. I'm figuring the size of Holo's wolf form off the anime series and scale is based off Holo's height compared a human's height. Then using the formula of 2.4 to determine the height from paw to shoulder and nose to tail proportions. I have no idea if it's correct. Derp.

2. As if panic mode Twilight wasn't expected.

3. Pinkie, stop that. Seriously.
Ugh, fine.