• Published 5th Dec 2012
  • 15,532 Views, 800 Comments

Apples and Wheat - TheAlmightySage



The Apple Family decides to plant wheat this year and end up with a surprise house guest.

  • ...
28
 800
 15,532

Interlude: Wolf and Winona

Archivist's Notation: Just a fun/silly chapter thing for you guys while I wait for more time off work, so I can resume the story proper.

-- Apples and Wheat --

“The dog is the god of frolic.”

—Henry Ward Beecher

-- Wolf and Winona --

Holo wore a small smile as she admired the land of the Apple family with its pastures, tilled soil, and the rolling hills upon which stood the vast apple orchards, the trees and ripening fruit shining with dew in the morning sunlight. From where Holo sat on the porch she could see the first acre of the tilled soiled, where the wheat seeds had been planted.

Maria must have gotten very good seeds if I can sense their strength already. I'll only need a small portion of my powers for the blessing, Holo smirked as she began to think on what she would do, once Applejack was ready to take her into Ponyville.

Holo's magnificent tail swayed idly while she thought of the food and fun that awaited her in Ponyville, when her ears suddenly perked up as she heard the sound of paws hitting grass and...a collar tinkling? Holo looked over towards the sound, her eyes widening in surprise as she saw a brown and white blur of shaggy fur barreling towards her at full speed.

"Ah! No, stop!" Holo cried out, her hooves clattering on the wooden porch as she scrambled to get up and out of the way.

Only to fail and be tackled off her hooves by Winona, Applejack's faithful border collie. Winona barked happily with her tail wagging rapidly, as she stood upon Holo's prone form.

"Get off of me," Holo growled out with an indignant glare, to which Winona answered with sloppy lick across her face. "Ah!"

Holo struggled as Winona continued to happily and zealously lick her face with the occasional groan of frustration from Holo as she tried to fend off her affectionate attacker.

"What's all this ruckus about now?" Granny Smith grumbled, as she looked out the screen door, "Oh I see ya done met Winona." Old Maria Smith said with a wry smile as she watched Holo try to get the energetic border collie off.

"Get off meEEEE!" Holo squealed as Winona gave her an affectionate and slobbery lick across her muzzle that ended with her ear being covered in drool.

"Aww she's just bein' friendly wit ya," Granny Smith said with a chuckle.

"Mariaaa," Holo pleaded with a whine, as she barely held off Winona's slobbery affection with both hooves.

Granny Smith chuckled, before opening the screen door and whistling causing Winona to look up at her. "Get inside Winona and Applejack will feed ya."

Winona barked happily then hopped off Holo's chest and walked into the farm house, with her tail wagging happily. Holo sat up wiping the slobber off her face with a disgruntled groan.

"Ugh I have little love for dogs that do not know their place."

"Winona's just bein' friendly wit ya," Granny Smith replied wearing a wry smile, trotting past Holo to her rocking chair.

"Too friendly, if you ask me." Holo commented flatly as she sat beside Maria, who was slowly rocking her chair.

"Heh ya said the same thing about old Enek," Granny Smith said looking over at Holo as she rocked in her chair.

Holo groaned rolling her eyes. "Ugh that dog had no respect for his betters, at all."

Granny Smith and Holo exchanged glances then started laughing.

Holo wiped a tear away as her laughter died down. "He was a very good dog, despite his rather rude method of waking me."

"Oh ya mean when he'd grab a hold of yer tail and give it a tug?" Granny Smith between chuckles.

"It was not that funny and besides it hurt quite a bit," Holo said in a rather annoyed tone.

"Oh pushah," Maria countered with a wave of a hoof. "The only thing Enek would hurt was yer pride an' ya know it."

"Humph! I will not even dignify that with an answer," Holo replied with her forehooves crossed and her head held up pridefully.

Granny Smith sat looking at Holo with her wry grin for several moments before Holo looked over to her, the two of them breaking out into wide grins before laughing again.

"Indeed, he was a very good dog," Holo said while Granny Smith nodded as she rocked her chair.

The two friends fell into an amiable silence as the morning sunlight warm them pleasantly while birds sang their praises of spring.

As Holo sat beside her dear friend, she came to realize she had missed these simple joys of conversation and company from her time with Maria the most. Sitting beside her friend, Holo resolved that she would never miss out on these precious moments again.

Author's Note:

Okay to give you an idea of how much writing time I've lost due to work being stupid busy. This piece, under a thousand words, took me a full month to write out. Chapter five is still being written, just at a painfully slow pace, so be patient.