• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 4,164 Views, 166 Comments

Overpinking It - PropMaster



Ponky likes Pinkie Pie, and she likes him. Maybe? It's hard to tell.

  • ...
11
 166
 4,164

Chapter 4: Snickerdoodles and Second Chances

- Chapter 4 -

Pinkie Pie woke up before sunrise, hopping out of bed with a smile on her face. She zipped downstairs, passing Mr. and Mrs. Cake as they blearily began getting the shop ready for customers. “Hello Missus Cake! Hey Mister Cake! You ready to get bakin’?”

Mrs. Cake chuckled, replying, “Good morning, Pinkie. We’ll join you in a minute!”

“I hope last night went well, Pinkie!” added Mr. Cake with a tired grin, rubbing at his eyes to clear the sleep from them.

Pinkie stiffened for a moment. “I-uh... I think it went well. I mean...”

Mr. Cake and Mrs. Cake glanced at each other, their faces falling slightly. Mrs. Cake spoke up, “What happened, Pinkie?”

Pinkie’s smile was replaced by a frown. “I... I think I messed up. Messed up big-time.”

Mr. Cake chuckled, stepping closer to Pinkie and patting her on the back. “I’m sure it’s not so bad.”

“I think I really hurt Ponky’s feelings,” said Pinkie Pie, scuffing a hoof on the floor. “After the play, we came back here to hang out, and he told me he wanted me to be his very special somepony. And I... I didn’t know what to do!”

Mr. Cake frowned, glancing at Mrs. Cake, who approached Pinkie and gave her a comforting hug. “It’s all right, Pinkie.”

Pinkie leaned into the hug, exhaling slowly. “I just got nervous, because nopony’s ever asked me that before! And I didn’t even know he liked me!”

Mrs. Cake chuckled. “Well, don’t you like him?”

“Oh, I like him! But I don’t know if I like him! I mean, I never really even thought about it. He’s so nice, and he has a great laugh, and I like being around him, but... well, I just don’t know! I’ve never had a coltfriend before, and I like it like that, because it’s so much easier. I see friends come into Sugarcube Corner all the time, and then sometimes those friends become more than friends, and then sometimes that doesn’t work and it messes everything up!” Pinkie gesticulated wildly as she spoke, before finally stopping to inhale.

Mrs. Cake put a hoof on Pinkie’s mouth, cutting off the diatribe before she could begin again. “Pinkie, I understand that being in a relationship can look scary. It is scary, sometimes. You have to really, really trust the other pony, and you put a lot of yourself on them, and they do the same. It’s give-and-take, and some ponies have trouble with that.”

“But how do I know if it will work out okay or not? Ponky is really great, and I don’t want to mess things up between the two of us!” Pinkie put her hooves over her eyes in frustration, flopping backwards onto the ground and wiggling around. “It’s so hard!”

“That’s the point, I suppose. You don’t know if it will work. The only way to know is to give it a shot,” replied Mrs. Cake comfortingly.

Pinkie uncovered her eyes, staring up at Mrs. Cake, “Thanks, Missus Cake. Mister Cake, what do you think I should do?”

Mrs. Cake and Mr. Cake smiled at each other, Mr. Cake stated confidently, “Go for it.”

Pinkie hopped up off the floor, her smile returning. “Okay so... oh, wait!” Her expression fell, her brow furrowing as she facehoofed. “I already hurt Ponky’s feelings last night. What do I do about that?”

“Apologize?” said Mr. Cake, chuckling lightly.

Pinkie waved her forelegs in the air. “That’ll never work! I messed up big-time, so I’ve gotta do something just as big to un-mess it up!”

Mrs. Cake shook her head, sighing. “Maybe you should ask your friends for help?”

Pinkie froze in place, before whirling and grabbing Mrs. Cake into a hug. “You’re a genius! Thanks, Missus Cake, Mister Cake!”

With that, Pinkie was gone in a blur out the front door. Mrs. Cake chuckled and held the door open, waiting patiently. Pinkie returned at a more subdued trot a few moments later, giggling with embarrassment. “I forgot how early it is. We should get some baking done, right?”

Mrs. Cake giggled, shaking her head. “That sounds good, Pinkie Pie.”


A few hours later, the Cakes opened Sugarcube Corner, and the early-morning customers arrived, picking up pastry orders for restaurants or getting breakfast on their way to work. Pinkie kept focused on the kitchen, working diligently to help fill orders.

The bell above the door jingled, announcing the arrival of another customer, and Mr. Cake glanced up from the counter, his eyes widening in surprise as Ponky stepped into the bakery. He looked like he hadn’t slept, and a unicorn stallion came in with him. Ponky smiled blearily at Mr. Cake. “Hey.”

Mr. Cake mustered his friendliest smile for the pegasus. “Hey, kiddo. How’re you doing?”

Ponky shrugged, not meeting Mr. Cake’s eyes. “I’m good.”

“He’s awful, actually, but that’s why I’m here. To keep him on track. We’ll just get two breakfast muffins,” stated the unicorn stallion, pointing to the freshly baked treats.

“Mister Cake, this is Props. He works with me at the theater,” Ponky introduced the unicorn.

“Nice to meet you,” said Mr. Cake, offering a hoof.

Props nodded brusquely and shook the offered appendage. “Nice to meet you too. I hope you’ll excuse me, but I’m trying to get Ponky out of here quickly before somepony notices.”

Mr. Cake chuckled. “Fair enough. I’ll wrap those muffins up to go.”

Smiling, Props replied, “That’d be great.”

Working quickly, Mr. Cake produced two fresh muffins and tucked them carefully into a bag, before hoofing it over to Props, who dropped four bits on the table with a smile. “Thanks for understanding. I don’t mean to seem harsh, but I don’t think Ponky could handle seeing Pinkie Pie at the moment. He had a rough night.”

Stepping around the counter, Mr. Cake put a hoof on Ponky’s shoulder and smiled gently. “I heard about what happened last night, Ponky.”

“Oh, good,” Ponky mumbled bitterly.

Mr. Cake’s smile faltered briefly. “Listen, son. I know you’re hurt, but I think you also know that Pinkie didn’t mean to do what she did.”

Ponky sighed, and managed a small smile. “I know she didn’t. It’s...”—Ponky cleared his throat, blinking back tears—”...it’s just hard.”

“I know. But things will get better.” Mr. Cake gave Ponky’s shoulder a small squeeze, then returned behind the counter.

“Thanks, Mister Cake. I appreciate it,” said Ponky, giving the older stallion a more genuine smile.

After waiting for a moment, Props grabbed the bag of muffins in a telekinetic field and declared, “Well, things to do. Ponky needs to get the piano warmed up for the performance tonight. Thanks for breakfast, Mister Cake.”

“Anytime, fellahs,” replied Mr. Cake.

Props and Ponky left, the bell jingling merrily. Mr. Cake watched their figures for a moment, before slowly walking to the door to the kitchen and opening it, glancing at the wall next to the door.

Pinkie Pie was pressed against the wall, just inside the door, her eyes wide and filled with tears, one hoof over her mouth. Mrs. Cake sat next to her, holding her other hoof. Pinkie slowly exhaled, glancing over at Mr. Cake. Mr. Cake and Mrs. Cake briefly shared a glance, sympathy in their eyes, before they pulled Pinkie into a group hug.

After a few minutes, Pinkie finally managed to speak. “Mister Cake? Missus Cake?...I think I need the day off.”

“Of course, Pinkie. You go and see your friends and do what you need to do,” replied Mrs. Cake with a smile, nuzzling Pinkie Pie. Pinkie offered a trembling smile, before pulling away from the warm embrace.

“Thank you,” she said, wiping her eyes. “I’ll go and I’ll fix this. You’ll see!”


Rarity hummed quietly to herself as she worked. The morning, so far, had gone wonderfully. Sweetie Belle was at the theater, the shop was closed for the day, and she had all the time in the world to simply create. And create she had! A dress was taking shape, a dress that she was certain would be a smash hit with the fashionable ponies of canterlot. She was applying sparkling gemstones to the collar, meticulously working to create perfection.

“Hi Rarity!”

Rarity glanced up from her work, taking in Pinkie Pie’s smiling face, before focusing once more on her work. “Oh, hello P-”

Rarity’s eyes widened and she looked up, jumping back in surprise. “Pinkie Pie?! How did you get in? The door was locked!”

“I used a window, but that doesn’t matter!” Pinkie grabbed Rarity by the shoulders. “I messed up big time, Rarity! I hurt Ponky’s feelings and told him we should just be friends, but I don’t know if we should just be friends, because I like him and he really likes me, and maybe it would work out okay but it’s scary and I don’t know what to do! It’s the worst possible thing!”

With that, Pinkie collapsed backwards onto Rarity’s couch, which was conveniently placed just within reach for necessary dramatic collapses and hysterics. Rarity paused, frowning and trying to sort out what Pinkie Pie had said. “I don’t understand, Pinkie. What happened with you and Ponky?”

“After the play we went back to Sugarcube Corner and ate some cake, and Ponky was acting funny, and then he asked me to be his very special somepony! I didn’t know what to do or what to say! I panicked and told him I didn’t know what was happening! Then he said it was all a mistake, and everypony had just misunderstood me! And today, he came in to Sugarcube Corner and he was really sad, and it’s all my fault!”

Rarity’s mouth dropped open for a moment, before she regained her composure. “Pinkie Pie, you mean to tell me you had no idea Ponky was interested in you?”

“No! That’s why I panicked when he asked me to be his special somepony!” Pinkie wailed, before slumping back onto the couch once more.

“But... what about going on the date?” Rarity asked, still in shock.

“I didn’t realize it was a date! I thought we were just having fun together! I’ve never been on a date before, Rarity! I didn’t know!” Pinkie covered her eyes with both hooves.

Rarity shook her head. “Well, it’s not just your fault. We all thought you were interested in Ponky as well, and we told Ponky so.”

“You guys did what?” Pinkie hopped off the couch, eyes wide.

“We assumed that you were interested in poor Ponky as more than a friend! After all, whenever you talked about him, you seemed very interested in him, and when we met him you two seemed to be flirting!”

“I don’t mean to! I just... I like making ponies smile, and Ponky makes me happy, and so I thought we could joke about things and not have ponies think we’re serious!” Pinkie sighed. “I messed up.”

“No, Pinkie, this has all just been a big misunderstanding. We all overthought things!” Rarity grabbed her friend into a hug, and Pinkie accepted it gratefully.

“So, what should I do?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“Well, that depends on how you feel about Ponky. Do you want to stay friends, or do you want him to be your very special somepony?”

Pinkie Pie bit her lip, considering. “That’s the scary part. Ponky and I are really good friends, and I don’t want to lose that... but Mrs. Cake said that sometimes the only way to know if a relationship would work as more than friends is to give it a shot, even if it is scary.”

Smiling gently, Rarity stepped away from Pinkie Pie. “Well, then you have a choice to make.”

“But it’s haaarddd!” cried Pinkie, sitting down and pouting.

“The most important decisions in life often are,” replied Rarity.

Pinkie scuffed a hoof on the carpet, uncharacteristically quiet. Rarity simply sat beside her friend, waiting. Finally, Pinkie Pie stood up, her face growing determined. “Okay.”

Leaning forward, Rarity smiled, “Okay what?”

“I’ll do it. It might be scary, and it might be hard, but... I’ll never know if I don’t give it a shot!”

Rarity leapt up, giggling and dancing in place. “Oh, I’m so excited for you! Pinkie, you’re going to have the best time, and I’ll do whatever I can to help you be successful!”

Pinkie beamed at her friend, “Thanks Rarity! You’re the best!” Pinkie Pie hugged Rarity, before bouncing away, her eyes bright. “Oh! We should ask ALL the girls for help!”


An hour later, all the girls had assembled at the Library. Pinkie had brought cupcakes from Sugarcube Corner, and Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Twilight Sparkle, Spike, and Applejack ate and talked, trying to help Pinkie Pie with her problem. Everypony was talking all at once, trying to give Pinkie advice, and she sat in the middle of her friends, trying her best to listen. Her eyes slowly crossed, and she finally held up her hooves.

“Stop!”

Everypony quieted down, giggling slightly. Pinkie sighed. “Okay. How about we do this one at a time? I was trying to listen to everypony, but it got hard. I’ve got to get this right, girls! I’ve gotta make Ponky see that I’m serious about him! No more mix-ups!”

“Well, how should we do this, then?” asked Twilight, pointedly gesturing to a massive checklist she’d created based on several books of relationship advice.

“No lists! How about... um... oh! I’ll go into the kitchen and bake something, and everypony comes in one at a time and gives me advice? I listen best while I’m cooking snickerdoodles.”

“Er, I’m not sure if the library is equipped to bake snickerdoodles, Pinkie Pie,” chimed in Spike.

“Don’t be silly, spikey-wikey! Every kitchen has the stuff to bake snickerdoodles! Any kitchen that can’t, well... it’s hardly a kitchen at all!” declared Pinkie with a grin, as she bounced into the kitchen. “C’mon, you can help me.”

Spike smiled with delight, “Oh, can we make a few with gemstones in them?”

“Sure!”

Spike pumped his fist into the air, and followed Pinkie Pie into the kitchen.

Pinkie got to work, grabbing ingredients out of cupboards and off shelves, getting everything she needed to make snickerdoodles assembled within moments. Spike hopped up onto a stool, put on his apron, and announced, “Ready to work, Pinkie! What do you need me to do?”

“Turn on the oven, Spike, and I’ll get mixing,” replied Pinkie with a grin, as she began combining ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Rarity walked into the kitchen, glancing around at the activity. Pinkie looked up from her work and giggled. “Rarity! I was hoping you’d be first. You seem to know more about all this romantic dating stuff than anypony.”

“Well, I certainly have accrued a fair amount of knowledge. I’ve gone on a few dates in my time, after all!” Rarity sighed, leaning up against the counter next to Pinkie Pie. “I envy you, Pinkie. Ponky seems like a true gentlecolt. He’ll be wonderful, I’m certain. As for you, though, you must act like a lady in return, to show that you are serious.”

“Act like a lady. Okay.” Pinkie added sugar into the dough, and combined it together.

“First, you musn’t bounce around so much. A lady is graceful, and moves with poise. Second, allow your gentlecolt to do things for you, like hold open a door, or slide out your chair for you. It will show that you respect him as a male. Also, if you go to a restaurant, have him order your meal for you! It’s a good way to let him know that you trust him, and that you feel that he knows what you would like, without even asking.”

“Hmm... okie-dokie-lokie!” Pinkie smiled at Rarity. “What else?”

Behind Rarity, Spike was listening intently, and scribbling down notes on a notepad. Pinkie gave Spike a knowing wink, but Rarity didn’t notice. Her eyes were closed, and she had a rapt smile on her face. “If he invites you to dance, allow him to lead you, and do your best to follow. Oh! And, at the end of the night, if he has been the perfect gentlecolt, you should give him a kiss on the cheek. A lady never kisses on the lips on the first date.”

“No kissing on the lips. Got it.” Pinkie finished mixing the dough and grabbed a baking sheet. “Any other tips?”

“Hm. Not particularly, no. Your first date should be romantic, and subdued, and should be more about getting to know one another.” Rarity opened her eyes, the smile on her face returning to a more neutural expression. “Oh, and wear something nice. The dress from the other night should do, but if you need something else, ask me, and I’ll figure something out.”

“Okie-dokie-lokie!” Pinkie giggled and gave Rarity a hug. “Thanks Rarity, you’re the best.”

Rarity returned the hug, laughing happily. “Think nothing of it, darling. I’ll let somepony else have their say, now.”

Rarity trotted out of the kitchen. Pinkie glanced at Spike, who was watching the white unicorn mare leave with a smitten smile. “Hey, Spike? Think you could do me a favor and keep taking notes? I could use all the help I can get.”

Spike snapped out of his daydream and nodded, “Oh! Uh, sure thing, Pinkie.”

Pinkie smiled at the dragon, and got to work on rolling out the dough and cutting cookies out of it. Applejack entered the kitchen next, striding up to Pinkie Pie with purpose. “Ah don’t know what kinda fru-fru nonsense that Rarity’s told ya, but I’ll let ya know now: it ain’t gonna work.”

Glancing up from her work, Pinkie blinked and frowned. “Er, really?”

“Really. This ain’t no fairy-tale, Pinkie. Y’ gotta be strong an’ show your boy you’re willin’ to work hard for what ya want,” Applejack said emphatically, stamping a hoof on the counter.

“Show him I’m willing to work hard... okay!” Pinkie nodded, looking determined.

“Don’t just let him lead ya around. Show some initiative! You want him to know that you’re a strong mare, an’ you can be depended on. Don’t wait for him t’ open doors for ya.”

“Wait, don’t wait? But, Rarity said—”

“It don’t matter what Rarity said. Nopony wants to date somepony that has t’ be waited on hoof and hock. Y’ gotta present yourself as somepony that knows what they want.”

“... All right,” Pinkie responded uncertainly.

“So, what are y’ gonna do?”

“Be strong!” said Pinkie with a determined grin.

“Good!”

“Take initiative!”

“Better!”

“Be a mare that knows what she wants!” finished Pinkie, thrusting a hoof into the air.

“Attagirl. Y’ remember what I told ya, and Ponky ain’t gonna know what hit him.” Applejack gave Pinkie’s shoulder a friendly squeeze, and then trotted out, looking pleased.

Pinkie glanced desperately at Spike. “...I think I see where this is going.”

Spike chuckled, “Just wait. I’ll bet Twilight has some good information.”

Wiping a hoof across her brow, Pinkie gave Spike an uncertain smile, “I sure hope you’re right.”

Rainbow Dash strutted into the kitchen, grinning devilishly at Pinkie. “Pinkie, buddy-ol-pal, have I got some good advice for you.”

“I sure hope so, Dashie, because all I’ve gotten so far is conflicting information!” replied Pinkie, a bit wearily.

“Figures. Well, whatever, because I know what I’m doing. You’ve gotta be aggressive!”

Pinkie brightened up. “Oh, good, that doesn’t sound too different from what Applejack said!”

Chuckling, Rainbow Dash blew an errant strand of chromatic hair out of her eyes. “Well, Applejack’s got a good head on her shoulders. You wanna really impress your date? You gotta show him your stuff. Give him the moves. Guys don’t want a girly-mare. They want somepony they can relate to!”

“Oh?” Pinkie listened intently as she put the cut-out cookies onto the baking sheet, placed a few gemstones onto some of the cookies, and handed them off to Spike, who deposited them in the waiting oven.

“Yeah! You gotta give ‘em a little shove. Be frisky! Let ‘em chase you around a little, maybe. Take them out somewhere and race, or do something fun. Don’t go easy on ‘em, but don’t beat ‘em outright either. Make ‘em sweat!” Rainbow’s eyes were elsewhere, and she grinned fiercely.

Pinkie giggled. “Well, maybe if we go on a picnic, we can run around a little bit!”

“Yeah. Yeah! Take ‘em on a picnic, and then play some hoofball or run around, get their heart racing!” Rainbow Dash reared up on her hind legs and threw a few jabs and punches at the air. “And when they’re finally all worn out, you lay in the grass under a big tree, and chill out... and then grab ‘em, and look into their pretty green eyes, and give ‘em the best kiss they’ve ever had!”

Pinkie giggled. “You seem really into this, Dashie.”

Rainbow Dash didn’t hear Pinkie Pie, as she grinned at the air. “And then, after that, you take ‘em home to the farm, and you—”

“Uh, Rainbow Dash? Ponky works at the theater, not a farm,” said Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow Dash stared at Pinkie Pie for a moment before glancing around uncertainly, focusing. “Uh, yeah! Theater. T-that’s what I meant.”

“And he doesn’t live at the theater, he has a house on the east end of Ponyville.”

“W-well, then you take him there, or back here, and invite him in for some coffee or cake or something,” stammered Rainbow Dash.

Shaking her head, Pinkie replied, “I don’t think that’s a good idea. Last time I invited him in for cake, things went poorly.”

Rainbow shrugged. “All right, so no cake afterwords. Just remember; have fun, be aggressive, make ‘em sweat.”

Pinkie grinned, “Sounds like a plan!”

“All right, go get ‘em, Pinkie!” Rainbow Dash made a hasty exit.

Giggling, Pinkie sat down on a stool and shook her head. “Whew. Well, that was some good advice, anyway.”

Spike squinted out the kitchen door. “Rainbow Dash seemed a little distracted, though.”

“I guess. She must have had something on her mind.” Pinkie winked at Spike.

Fluttershy timidly entered the Kitchen. “Um... hello.”

“Heya Flutters! Got some advice for me?” asked Pinkie Pie.

Fluttershy walked over to Pinkie Pie and plopped down next to her, glancing around and scuffing her hoof on the ground. Pinkie leaned a little closer to her friend. “C’mon, Fluttershy, spill! I could use more good advice!”

“Uh, well... I couldn’t help but overhear Rainbow Dash, and... I mean, not to discount her advice or anything, I’m sure she means well, but...” Fluttershy trailed off hesitantly.

“Say it!” said Pinkie, bouncing up and down.

“Well, I think that you shouldn’t do what she said. A picnic is a good idea, but all that running and chasing sounds awfully like a lot of work. You should spend your time quietly, instead. Look at the clouds and talk about important things, or simply enjoy each other’s company. Getting to know the other pony is important. A restaurant is actually a good place for that, because the setting is more intimate... Oh, I’m sorry, I’m blabbering, I’ll stop.”

Giggling, Pinkie Pie hugged Fluttershy. “No! You were doing good! Thanks Fluttershy.”

“Oh, thank you... you’re too kind. I think I’ll let Twilight come in, now. She’s very anxious to talk to you.” Fluttershy stood up and smiled at Pinkie Pie. “I’m sure things will go well, Pinkie. You’re a lot of fun, so don’t forget to be yourself!”

Pinkie rolled her eyes. “Being myself is what got me in this mess, and I don’t want to hurt Ponky again.”

Fluttershy blanched a little. “Oh, um, okay. If you say so.”

With that, Fluttershy left. Pinkie held her grin for an extra second, and then dropped it, her expression falling as she face planted into the floor. “Oh no. More conflicting information!”

Spike chuckled. “I’ve gotten everything written down, so you’ll be okay. Maybe you can just pick and choose what you think will work.”

Sighing, Pinkie looked up at the purple dragon with a forlorn expression. “If you say so. Hopefully Twilight will be better.”

Twilight entered, her mane a frazzled mess. A dozen notecards, a few scrolls, and an entire shelf’s worth of books floated around her, and two quills scribbled frantically on parchment paper. Twilight grinned at Pinkie. “Okay, I did some research, and we’ve got a lot to go over! Spike, take notes!”

Pinkie stared at Twilight with a deadpan expression. “Great.”


Pinkie Pie sat outside of Ponky’s house. It was late, and the town was mostly quiet, but Pinkie waited patiently. She hummed quietly to herself, going over what to say in her head. A few voices carried down the street, and Pinkie glanced up. Ponky, Razzberry, Forceful Will, Props, Lame Duck, and Purple Prose approached Ponky’s house, chatting animatedly. They all looked tired, but there was a bounce in their step that was a by-product of a successful night’s performance.

Smiling uncertainly, she whispered to herself, “Okay, girl, you’ve got this.”

Purple Prose spotted Pinkie Pie first and nudged Props, halting the larger unicorn mid-step. “Props. Look.”

Props looked surprised, an eyebrow raising quizzically. “Well, look at that.”

Ponky, Razzberry, Forceful Will, and Lame Duck halted, their banter cutting off as they stared at Pinkie Pie. Pinkie mustered a grin. “Hey guys.”

“Hey yourself, lady,” said Razzberry, scowling. “Haven’t you caused enough damage?”

“I’m not so sure our friend wants to talk to you,” added Forceful Will protectively.

Her ears flattening, Pinkie winced. Props glanced at Ponky, who wore a neutral expression. “How about we let the lady say her piece, boys.”

Lame Duck looked at Ponky, “If you don’t want to talk to her, you don’t have to.”

Ponky exhaled, the neutral expression becoming one of resignation. “No, it’s fine. You guys head inside, make yourselves at home.”

“You don’t have to talk to her alone, Ponky,” said Purple Prose.

Ponky glanced at Pinkie Pie, and Pinkie smiled hesitantly. He asked her, “What would make you comfortable, Pinkie?”

Pinkie shook her head. “I don’t mind talking in front of your friends, if that’s what you want. In fact, it might be better.”

“That doesn’t sound good,” murmured Lame Duck.

Props gestured to Ponky, “All right, then. Talk to the lady. We’re all here for you.”

Ponky smiled at his friends. “Thanks guys.” He stepped forward, out of the group, and faced Pinkie Pie with a thin smile. “Hey.”

Pinkie bit her lip, inhaling slowly. “Listen, Ponky... last night... you caught me off guard, and I didn’t have time to think. I panicked. Nopony’s ever asked me to be their very special somepony before, and I didn’t know what to do or say. I got scared, and I hurt you, and I’m really, really sorry.”

“It’s okay, Pinkie, I—”

“No. It’s not okay,” Pinkie interrupted. “Listen, I messed up. I’m still scared, and I still don’t really know what I’m doing, but I got a lot of good advice from my friends today... and, if you want to, I want to take you on a date. A real date, not me mixing up things in my crazy brain.”

Ponky’s eyes widened in surprise, and he glanced back towards his friends uncertainly. They all looked at each other, and Purple Prose gestured to Pinkie. “Go on. We’re listening.”

Pinkie blushed, scuffing a hoof on the ground self-consciously. “I want to do things right, and I want to give us a chance. I like you, Ponky. I really, really do.”

Ponky blushed. “I really like you too, Pinkie Pie.”

“I know you do, but it’s my turn to show you.” Pinkie grinned at Ponky, and stuck out a hoof. “Whaddya say?”

Ponky chuckled, and glanced at his friends. Pinkie looked at them and turned on the puppy-dog eyes, sticking out her lower lip in an adorable pout. Purple Prose rolled his eyes, but the rest of them grinned stupidly, dazed. Forceful Will was the first to recover from the full brunt of Pinkie’s cute onslaught. “Whaddya say, Ponky?”

Ponky considered for a moment, before sighing, and shaking Pinkie’s hoof. “Okay. We’ll give it a shot. A real shot. When do we start?”

“The day after the last performance,” replied Pinkie confidently.

Ponky nodded, chuckling. “Sounds good.”

Pinkie Pie winked at Ponky. “It’s a date.”


- End of Chapter 4 -