• ...
6
 535
 4,049

Act I - 01 - I Ain't No Millionaire's Son

Act I:
“Smoke On the Horizon”

Chapter One:
"I Ain't No Millionaire's Son"

May, 1941

As the morning mist slowly started to evaporate in the light of the rising sun, Applejack quietly hummed an upbeat tune to herself. She made her way towards the barn, ready to pick up this morning's fresh crate of milk. On her head was the same hat she always wore, her father's worn out, well used Stetson. She trotted up to the barn.

“Howdie Bessie, how ya doin’ this mornin’?” Applejack asked, stepping inside and tipping her hat. She pulled up a stool, reaching out to start milking in ernest. Bessie smiled, tipping her head slightly.

"Oh ya know, just fine. How goes 'round here?"

Applejack shrugged. "Good, good. Gettin' by ya know? You?" By this point, the bucket had been filled, and Applejack took it in mouth, grunting in effort as she did so.

"I'm fine." Bessie replied, glancing at Applejack. "Ya need help?"

Applejack shook her head. "Nah."

Bessie shrugged. "Okay then. Say hi to Apple Bloom for me, will ya?"

Applejack nodded. "I will." she replied through her teeth. Before turning back towards the house carrying the heavy bucket of milk, closing the gate behind her with her hind leg.

Starting towards the house, Applejack mentally ran through the morning’s checklist. She had already fed the pigs and the cows, gotten the milk, and was now hoping that Apple Bloom would be up and ready for school. She caught sight of Purity, who was busy bucking the apples, and gave her a quick wave as she passed.

“Mornin’ Purity!” she called out, once more setting the milk bucket down so she could more properly call out.

Purity turned towards her and waved half-heartedly, before turning back to her work. Applejack once more picked up the bucket and once more started trotting towards the house. Of course, given the large amount of milk that was being held inside the bucket, and her own skinny frame, Applejack had to stop more than once to give her jaw a brief respite, flexing it every so often to keep it from cramping.

As she walked, her mind once more started to wander, as it was often warrant to do so during the mundane farm work. Her thoughts focused mostly on what went on outside the gates of the farm, and in the rest of Equestria. Despite the beautiful morning sun, and singing birds, outside of Ponyville, Applejack knew that things were probably not so idyllic. For the past three months or so, there had been an active declaration of war on the Griffin Empire to the southeast, with the Griffin’s apparently being aided by a long active group of Earth Pony rabble rousers by the name of HYDRA.

Of course, politics and the art of warfare were subjects Applejack preferred not to think about, but for some reason, her mind had decided to dwell on the topic. Whenever the radio would report on it, Purity was most often liable to ask to switch to another station. Whenever asked about it, Purity would more often than not, respond with: “That’s the business of the ponies involved, an’ not us. Don’t stick yer nose where it don’t belong AJ, it’ll only get ya inta a whole mess of trouble.”

That was often enough to satisfy Applejack, but she still, deep down, wondered what it was all about. Something in her gut told her that, despite the news from Canterlot boasting that HYDRA would be stomped out and taken care of quickly, the rebellion would probably not be so swiftly stopped. She still wondered what had compelled these ‘HYDRA’ fellows to be so violent. She had always had her own fair share of derision from unicorns and pegasi, but her own family was rather respected in town (amongst Earth Ponies at least) and made an honest, good living, so it still felt rather odd that things were supposedly so bad that it would cause a war.

Of course, whenever Applejack would bring it up in conversation, Purity would be quick to respond with their father’s lifelong motto: “Applejack, yer not one ta judge others. Ya’ll don’t know iffin’ they had the same opportunities as ya might had. Just keep that in mind.”

Her train of thought, however, ended when she finally made it to the front porch, stepping up and knocking on the door. Her ears however, immediately caught the sound of water running and she raised an eyebrow as she carefully set the milk down.

Now what sorta trouble did that little filly get into now? she thought, reaching towards the door knob. She tried to turn it, but was instead greeted by it being seemingly locked in place. She let out a frustrated huff, reminded of the front door’s recent habit of locking shut. She could have sworn she heard splashing and scampering hooves along with the sounds of running water, which only made her more curious.

Come on now ya stupid door, open! she thought irritably, now fighting with the doorknob with all her might. The door knob finally gave way and the door swung open. Applejack was greeted by a flood of water washing up to her knees, causing her to stumble back slightly and the bucket of milk to topple over.

“What in tarnation!?” she shouted, steadying her slender frame against the doorway as she scanned the kitchen. Her eyes narrowed when she saw the small yellow filly standing on the tabletop, a guilty smile on her face.

“Um...howdy Applejack,” the filly said, waving slightly.

“Apple Bloom what didja do?!” Applejack shouted, stomping through the water and to the table. Apple Bloom shrugged slightly, the guilty blush on her face growing.

“Wouldja believe I was tryin’ ta get mah cutie mark?”

Applejack huffed, steadying the hat on her head. “And kinda cutie mark didja think you were gonna get? Floodin’ the house?”

Apple Bloom simply looked down at the ground, her face red with embarrassment. Applejack let out a deep breath, calming herself down. Apple Bloom always managed to get herself into all kinds of trouble, that was true, but, deep down, Applejack couldn’t really muster any real, true blue anger towards her sister. After all, all she said she was trying to do was find her cutie mark. What was so bad about finding one’s purpose in life? A loud metallic ding, followed by a torrent of water to the back of her neck though reminded her that, crusade for purpose aside, she couldn’t just let the young filly get away with flooding the entire house. Narrowing her eyes at the filly and saying nothing, she turned around and stalked towards the source of the flood coming from under the sink, as what seemed to be gallons of water erupted from below. Bracing herself, she reached underneath, feeling for the wrench she knew would probably still there. She smiled as she gripped the wrench, lifting from the water and placing it in her mouth, and doing her best to stop the waterspout to her face.

Several angry, muffled expletives and jaw-aching turns of a wrench later, Applejack let out a huff of relief as she put the wrench on the wooden counter top, the endless stream of water finally contained. Stepping back, she turned back towards Apple Bloom, who still sat on the table top, looking as guilty as ever.

“Now,” Applejack said, trudging through the water and reaching for a mop. “Yer gonna mop all this up, got it?”

Apple Bloom nodded, “Yes Applejack...” with that, she took the mop in hoof and clambered down off the table top. Applejack smiled, giving Apple Bloom a gentle pat on the head.

“Good girl. Now, lemme help ya so we can get this here floor dry before Purity comes back from bucking the apples.” she said as she trotted back outside, picking up the empty bucket with an explosive sigh and placing it back in its proper resting place after rinsing it out. She could hear Apple Bloom muttering and grumbling under her breath as she pushed the mop about, causing small waves to form in the water as the mop did it’s best to soak up all the water. Applejack trotted over to the kitchen closet and pulled out an empty bucket another mop, setting about helping Apple Bloom with the mess.

////////////////////////

It took about an hour, but finally, after going through three mops, the two ponies had managed to finally dry off the floor. As Applejack put the mops and bucket away, she called out towards Apple Bloom.

“Now ‘Bloom, y’all gotta get ready fer school okay?”

“Awe but why?” Apple Bloom protested, stomping her hoof on the ground. “All they do is poke fun at me and call me names.”

Applejack turned, a concerned expression on her face. “Wadja mean ‘call ya names’?” she asked, walking up to Apple Bloom. Apple Bloom looked down at the ground, nodding glumly.

“They call me stuff like ‘digger’ an’ ‘blank flank’.” She answered sullenly. She felt a hoof on her shoulder and saw Applejack leaning down so she could be at eye level. Applejack’s gaze was serious.

“Apple Bloom, lemmie tell ya, don’t you ever let anypony bully ya like that okay?”

Apple Bloom sighed. “But AJ, they’re all so mean...”

“So? Daddy always used ta say ta me ‘sticks an’ stones may break yer bones, but don’t ever let them nasty words get to ya or keep ya down.’”

Apple Bloom looked up from the floor, her eyebrows raising slightly. “Daddy really said that?”

Applejack nodded. “Sure did. Didn’t he Purity?” she said, looking towards the door. Apple Bloom looked over her shoulder to see a tired and lather covered Purity nodded mutely as she gulped down water. After finishing her refreshment she took a breath.

“AJ’s right ‘Bloom. Don’t let that keep ya down.” Purity said as she looked out the window. Her expression however, changed from the content look from before to one of concern.

“Damn it,” she grumbled.

Both Apple Bloom and Applejack raised their eyebrows.

“What’s wrong, Purity?” Applejack asked as she trotted up to the kitchen window facing towards the gate, scowling when she spots the last pony she ever wanted to see approaching their abode. “Now what does she up an’ want?”

Purity shrugged, starting towards the door.

“No idea. Probably just ta haggle us fer money,” grumbled Purity, heading towards the door.

Applejack shook her head and trotted after her older sister.

“Oh come on Purity, don’t up and be unneighborly,” she said as she made her way to the door, stopping in the doorway and glancing back at Apple Bloom. “‘Bloom go an’ start gettin’ ready fer school, ‘kay?”

Apple Bloom nodded, turning to trot up the stairs. Applejack refocused her attention out the front door and to the open air carriage driving up. Inside it sat a very familiar powder blue unicorn mare in an incredibly elegant dark red dress with a flowing, billowy skirt. Her blue and purple mane was done up in a neatly manicured bang and curl combination which peaked out from underneath her sunhat. In her magic was levitated her always present ornate umbrella that she would always use to keep the sun off of her. The look on her face was one of incredible, intolerable smugness, as if everything she saw was beneath her and not worthy of her interest. Applejack joined Purity at the gate, each of them watching the carriage, which was pulled by two strapping earth pony stallions, drive up, kicking up a trail of dark brown dust behind it.

Both Purity and Applejack knew the unicorn very well. It was Mr. Belle’s daughter, Glory Belle, who had taken over from her father after his death about five years back. Now, in Mr. Belle’s case, he had been an understanding landlord, and, while having the obligatory offhand way with dealing with earth ponies like the Apple’s, still seemed to actively care what went on in their personal lives. However, Glory Belle was the exact opposite. She hated the Apple’s with a passion, and would constantly belittle them every time she saw them. Now that Applejack thought about it, it was obvious that the unicorn would be visiting today, as it was a Wednesday, and, like clockwork, Glory Belle would always come for ‘inspections’. Applejack personally thought it was just an excuse for her to find more opportunities to mock and belittle them. Her most frequent target for the belittling was Applejack herself, with Glory always making a point to point out her smaller than average build.

Of course, Applejack didn’t have time for her own griping as the carriage neared and Glory Belle ordered the stallions to halt in an authoritative voice, levitating a long, thin whip and cracking it in the air, and the two stallions ground to a halt almost instantly. The amount of dust kicked up however, caused the unicorn to start coughing, and she quickly waved her small fan in front of her face.

“Stupid, damn dust, always giving me this wretched cough,” she grumbled, shifting in her seat slightly to look at Applejack and Purity.

“Mornin’ Miss Belle,” Purity said, tipping her head slightly, but being sure to not seem totally subservient. Applejack at first said nothing, instead deciding to look stoic. However, a quick, sharp nudge from Purity caught her attention and she gave a curt bow.

“Miss Belle,” she muttered, not really putting her heart in it.

Glory Belle let out a vaguely disgusted sound, making Applejack roll her eyes carelessly. A part of her hoped that Glory Belle had seen it, though, just so she can see how mutual their disgust for each other was.

“Ugh, your accent is like sand paper to my ears,” Glory Belle complained, reaching into her purse to pull out a small box of snuff, and taking a quick snort. After scrunching her nose for a moment, she then pulled a small cigarette and, with a flicker of her horn, set it alight, taking a quick draw from it. She released the smoke in an elegant cloud, seemingly completely oblivious to the other two ponies.

“Miss Belle, might I ask why yer here?” Purity asked, obviously not wanting to be standing there herself.

“Ah yes, I’ve come to inspect my properties,” she replied, her voice dripping with haughtiness. With that, the door to her carriage swung open, glowing softly with the blue glow of her magic as she stepped down from the carriage, her hooves covered with what looked like small leather booties. She visibly grimaced as her hooves touched the dirt, muttering something about her hooves. Both Applejack and Purity cast each other a quick glance, each rolling their eyes slightly at the unicorn’s actions. As she found her footing, Glory Belle levitated the bottom of her skirt slightly, her head held high as she walked past them, looking at everything around her with the same haughty gaze as before.

“Well Miss Belle, which part of tha farm wouldja like ta see first?” Applejack asked, attempting to be courteous and stepping up next to her. Glory Belle eyed her hatefully out of the corner of her eye.

“Step away from me, digger,” Glory Belle practically hissed. “I’ll very well inspect what I please. I must be sure my money is being spent in the proper manner and not being wasted by your filthy hooves.”

Applejack’s expression hardened at the insult, but Glory Belle was too busy with her unenthusiastic inspection. Not that she cared if she insulted Applejack anyway. Glory Belle silently scanned the heavenly landscape with a disgusted scowl for a near minute before she pointed a hoof towards the apple orchards.

“Take me there. I wish to inspect the crop,” ordered Glory Belle, giving Purity and Applejack an accusatory look.

Both Purity and Applejack nodded, with Purity putting an a thin smile.

“Sure thing Miss Belle,” grumbled Purity, starting to trot towards the orchard, opening the gate that lead towards the endless rows of trees.

As they walked however, both Applejack and Purity could hear Glory Belle’s seemingly endless nitpicking, ranging from complaints about the temperature or humidity of the air, to the small gnats that flew about, to the smell of the grass and how much she’d rather be back at her mansion, entertaining guests at some sort of party or the like.

Applejack wanted to say something, to make the fussy mare stop complaining, but quick wary glance from Purity made her decide not to. The look reminded Applejack that any word towards Glory Belle would land her, and possibly Purity, in trouble. When they finally reached an apple tree, Glory Belle trotted forward for a closer look, her voice still an endless stream of muttered complaints. Her horn glowed blue again and she plucked an apple off the tree, intensely inspecting it. After several moments, she nonchalantly tossed the apple aside with a scoff.

“I’ve seen better done by unicorns in Canterlot. This was certainly unimpressive,” she turned towards the two earth ponies. “I mean seriously, I wait three months for a crop and all I’ve got is this?” she levitated another apple off the tree and waved it in front of them. “This isn’t even half as large as the ones I’ve seen in Canterlot! Pathetic digger work is what it is.”

“Well, iffin ya like what tha unicorns are making, why don’t ya ask fer them to do the work?” Applejack muttered, finally fed up with Glory Belle’s constant complaints.

Glory Belle must have heard it however, as her ears perked up and she stared at Applejack, positively enraged. She approached Applejack, who kept her head down, and with a sneer the snobbish unicorn tilted her head down so she can look at Applejack’s emerald eyes.

What did you say to me?” growled Glory Belle.

Applejack lifted her head and glared daggers into Glory Belle, which only seemed to amuse their landlord rather than intimidate her.

“Ya’ll heard what I said,” Applejack said bluntly. “And I fer one am sick an’ tired of ya’ll constantly complainin’ everytime ya’ll come here. Yer father wasn’t like that.”

At those words, Glory Belle’s face turned a shade of red and she sputtered briefly.

“Well it’s obvious you diggers are all the same, you ungrateful whelp!” she spat back, turning and starting back towards her carriage, while Purity simply gave Applejack a angry look before running after Glory Belle, calling after her a long string of apologies.

Applejack simply stood in place, angrily looking at the apple on the ground. She could hear the sound of Glory Belle and Purity’s voices discussing something, Glory still sounding beside herself with anger and Purity sounding apologetic. Then Glory’s whip cracking through the air and the carriage starting down the dirt path, with Purity continuing her apologies. Letting out a long, frustrated sigh, Applejack started back towards the house. She had to get Apple Bloom to school on time anyways, and she wasn’t getting any work done by griping in an apple orchard.

Author's Note:

Chapter title taken from the song "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Wow would you look at that? A song quote that ISN'T Pink Floyd!

WHAT NEW BRAND OF SORCERY IS THIS?!

Anyways, this is kind of a stop-gap chapter, since in this act, we have to first show Applejack's current life and all.

And to answer any questions, yes Glory Belle is the direct ancestor of Rarity. She's her grandmother to be exact. Ain't that just charming?

And yay for Apple Bloom being Apple Bloom!

Also, I know about the cows. I'll probably address it somewhere down the line. It's the 40's though, so really, I can get away with it...kinda...