• ...
6
 535
 4,042

Act III - 11 - Time Was Running Wild

Act III:
“Changes”

Chapter Eleven:
“Time Was Running Wild”

Apple Bloom was sitting on a bench, frustratingly tearing a napkin she had found. She still felt guilty and torn over her actions. Applejack’s going to fight. Applejack, who can barely do one pushup, who gets winded when she kicks one apple tree, she’s still getting up and going out to fight.

And you, who can run a good mile without breaking a sweat, who can buck fifty apple trees without tiring, what are you gonna do back at home? Sit in a musty old school house and get teased because you’re a digger? Go back home and get walked all over by some hoity toity primadonna? Sit on your flank, bucking apples, while your skinny, sickly sister goes out again to take care of you when you’re better suited to be taking care of her?

Apple Bloom tossed the remains of the napkin aside. She knew she couldn't keep all this bottled up inside her. She needed someone to vent to. Or else it would simply fester and boil, becoming worse and worse.

...Well, I could always talk to Applejack about it. Maybe she’s got some ideas. Apple Bloom stood up and walked off, wandering through the camp in search of her sister.

/////////////////////////////

Applejack let out a cleansing, long breath as she flexed her sore body. It had been a very long day’s worth of workouts and training, with her running up, down, around, over, under and through the obstacle course at least seven times over.

Wonder what that whole weird bit with that grenade was fer… she mused, reaching into the small nightstand to open the box of medical cigarettes, pulling one out and lighting it up rather mechanically. It was a motion she’d repeated hundreds of times in the past. She never would have taken herself for a smoker, since it was always considered ‘unladylike’, but she wasn’t exactly keen on having to deal with her asthma every three seconds, and she wasn’t exactly interested in being ‘lady like’ anyways, so, smoking it was.

The small cloud billowed in front of her, and she sat down at the small nightstand. She reached over to her cot, were several large textbooks on military tactics stacked neatly on top of each other. She opened the book up, moving to the dog eared page and restarting where she’d left off.

Figure I can get ready fer the next written test an’ ace that. Not like I’mma gonna ace a physical any time soon, she thought as she mentally stored away the tactics Gaius had used against the Gauls at least two thousand years before. She’d found the reading rather easy, surprisingly, with tons of interesting anecdotes and stories buried in the account.

A knock at the door, however, caught her attention. At first, she simply scrunched her eyebrows, and hunkered down a little. She needed to get this reading done. The knocking continued however and Applejack let out a sigh as she stood up and walked over.

“Hold yerself, I’mma commin’,” she muttered towards the door, turning the knob and opening it to reveal two burly stallions dressed in military police uniforms.

"Oh, um, howdy officers whatcha doin' here?" Applejack said, rubbing the back of her neck. "Apple Bloom didn't do nuthin', did she?"

One of the two officers shook his head. "No, ma'am, she's done nothing wrong. We've been ordered to give you this."

The second stallion thrust his hoof forward mechanically, handing Applejack a plain white envelope with the Equestrian Military Seal stamped on it.

Applejack took the letter silently, looking down at with eyebrows raised. "Um… what is this? A letter?"

The two MPs nodded.

"Yes ma'am," replied the one that gave her the envelope.

Applejack furrowed her brow slightly, opening the letter. Her eyes widened as she took in the text.

“I… um… well…” Applejack stammered, putting a hoof to her forehead.

The letter read as such, in rather plain and simple typewriter text, with her name quickly scrawled in sloppy cursive in several blank slots:

“Congratulations Applejack Apple, Equestria has chosen you, Applejack Apple, to be the first in a new line of SUPER SOLDIERS that will help defeat the demonic evil devil spawn that is the HYDRA MENACE. You will have an all-expense paid trip to Canterlot to be administered Professor Hans Wolfgang Christoph Ludwig von Schultz’s groundbreaking Super Soldier Serum! And then you will help fight for Truth, Justice and the Equestrian Way!”

“Uh...” Applejack looked up at the MPs. "What the hay is this?"

"Congratulations, ma'am. You're going to be the first Super Soldier," said the first MP.

The second MP grabbed Applejack's hoof and shook it like a water pump, nearly causing Applejack to fall over. Before she even had a chance to react to that, the stallion's hoof retracted, and he snapped to attention.

"You have to pack your bag, then we are to escort you to the train station where you will be taken to Canterlot."

Applejack meanwhile, blinked, not quite sure what to make of what she just heard. She looked down at the letter, which she still held in her hoof, letting the full scope of its words sift into her mind.

I passed?! How in Celestia’s name did that happen? she thought, once more rubbing her forehead pensively.

She turned inside, closing the door of the bunkhouse as she did so. She walked over to her cot, sitting down, her brain still working over the words of the letter. They’d chosen her, a scrawny, asthma afflicted mare who could barely lift a gun, much less lead an army. She was going to be subjected to a test that, when tried before, had turned its subject into a monster. She lay back against the bed staring at the ceiling. She couldn't deny a part of her felt excited. Who wouldn't be? This was an opportunity to achieve great things. To be first in something.

Applejack had never been first in something. Why, she'd always been a loser. Here was her chance to be a real winner.

Wait, hold on. Applejack thought, sitting up and shaking her head. That ain't what's important. What good is it iffin I get a prize an' then act like a jerk? Yer bein' given a gift. An' when ya have a gift, ya hafta use it properly.

She stood up, closing her books and reaching under her cot to pull out the old steamer trunk, which, now that it didn't have a filly stuffed inside, weighed considerably less. She flopped it onto her bed, popping it open and beginning to stuff her clothes and books inside. Her battered old stetson, which had been sitting on the bedpost ever since she arrived, was placed snugly on her head. It felt comforting to have it back on her head, and she began to muse about what it meant to her. It held memories of home and of her parents, of a time before all the war and strife that seemed to dominate the world. It reminded her of who she was. She was Applejack, a simple mare with simple needs, who, by some twist of fate, wouldn't be so simple anymore.

“Ma’am, two minutes,” came the voice of the MP, and Applejack nodded.

“Thank ya. I’m comin’.” She let out an uneasy laugh, grunting in effort in an attempt to lift her trunk, which only shifted on the bed slightly. The MPs both shared an unimpressed glance, one tersely marching over to grab the trunk, hefting it up and walking out to the door to the sound of a muttered thank you from Applejack.

Applejack meanwhile, shyly turned to follow. She paused in the doorway, giving the bunkhouse one last look over. The sound of the MPs calling out to her forced her to turn away however, and with one last sigh, she set out after the MPs, jogging as fast as her legs (and lungs) would allow, to catch up.

"Uh, gents, iffin ya don't mind me askin'," began Applejack, coming to walk between the two soldiers, looking between them tentatively, "Have any of ya seen a rather tall lookin' filly with a red mane? Yellow coat? Most likely wearin' overalls?"

As if on cue, Apple Bloom’s voice rung out.

“Hey! AJ!”

Applejack looked over her shoulder to see Apple Bloom, jogging over briskly, waving a hoof in the air. Applejack waved back, beckoning for Apple Bloom to come over.

“Hey, ‘Bloom! Where were ya?” Applejack asked, arching an eyebrow as she tried to keep up with the MPs. Apple Bloom motioned around the camp.

“I was lookin’ fer ya, but I couldn’t find ya.” She then grew visibly more subdued. “Uh, sis, can I ask ya somethin’?”

“What is it?”

“Well, I wanted ta try ta make sure that yer okay with me tryin’ ta get a job with my cutie mark.”

Applejack raised an eyebrow. “Really? That’s it? I’m fine with that! I think it’s great!”

Apple Bloom scrunched up her face. “Ya do?”

“Oh, yeah! Usin’ yer cutie mark ta help somepony is always great!” she let out a pant, feeling her airways starting to constrict. Apple Bloom’s face grew concerned.

“AJ, ya okay? Why are ya runnin’ anyways?”

Applejack smiled. “Well, I got chosen ta go ta Canterlot! Ain’t that somethin’?”

Apple Bloom’s eyes widened. “Canterlot?! Why are ya goin’ ta Canterlot?”

Applejack was about to speak when an MP gave her an accusatory glance. Applejack gave him a coy smile before turning back to Apple Bloom. “I kinda can’t tell ya. It’s kinda a secret. But don’t worry, I’ll be back. No worries. Now, why dontcha catch tha first train home. I bet Purity’s worried sick fer ya.”

“Yeah but--”

“Look, Apple Bloom, it’ll be fine! It’s my job ta worry ‘bout ya, not tha other way ‘round. Now, as yer older sister, I want ya ta go home. Remember, I won’t be here ta keep an’ eye on ya.”

The MPs then nudged Applejack forward rather tersely towards the entrance of the train station, which they’d reached during the sibling’s conversation.

“Just send me a wire when ya get there!” Applejack called out, being practically shoved into the train station, leaving a very confused looking Apple Bloom behind.

/////////////////////////////

Apple Bloom blinked in confusion. Applejack? In Canterlot? To her knowledge, Canterlot was just a place filled to bursting with stuffed up unicorns, noses constantly turned up and dressed in hopelessly impractical clothing.

Then why is AJ goin’ there? she thought, moving to rub her forehead.

The confused filly walked over to a nearby chair and removed the manila envelope with all of her documents before taking a seat. She gently pulled out her papers and looked them over, not thinking about the contents, but more of her quick conversation with Applejack. From the quick moment Apple Bloom had had with her, it seemed that her sister was at least open to the idea of her being proactive. That served to calm at least some of Apple Bloom’s unease, but she knew deep down that, once Applejack found out about what Apple Bloom meant by ‘job’, there’d be less smiles, and more wild panic.

Apple Bloom let out a sigh, rubbing her face slightly as she put her papers back. “Ain’t no use cryin’ over spilled milk I guess. Just gotta get up an’ keep goin’. Like AJ said.”

She then stood up and started walking in a random direction to look for Gilda.

Figure ya stick with who ya know, ‘suppose, she thought, walking along, carefully scanning the now scattered clutches of soldiers.

In the background, the high pitched whistle of the train Applejack had been practically forced aboard cut through the air, followed by the heavy, mechanical chugging and coughing of the engine roaring to life. Apple Bloom glanced over her shoulder, catching the train moving away from the station, a billowing cloud of steam and smoke erupting around it.

Hope ya have fun, sis, Apple Bloom thought, giving a slight smile.

/////////////////////////////

The train steadily rolled into the station, and Applejack peered out the window. Through the steam and smoke, she could make out the forms of dozens upon dozens of ponies, all milling about. Most seemed to be carrying luggage or bags, and by the wild mix of pristine and bedraggled clothing, Applejack ventured that most hadn’t exactly had a nice trip.

She glanced down the interior of the train, motioning towards the stallion who she assumed was the conductor, if his uniform was any indication. He walked over, looking down at her with slightly raised eyebrows.

“Uh, do ya happen ta know where those folks came from?” she asked tentatively, pointing out the window at a group of tired and downtrodden looking ponies. The conductor glanced outside for a moment, before looking back down at Applejack.

“Refugees, most likely, ma’am.”

“Refugees? From where?”

The conductor raised his eyebrows. “Haven’t you heard? Stalliongrad has fallen. As such, most civilians are sending their families to the countryside for safe keeping.” He then walked away without another word, leaving Applejack to look out the window. The train had since slowed significantly, and her eyes met those of a very young looking filly, who waived tentatively towards her as the train came to a halt. Applejack silently waved back, glancing down to notice the small stuffed toy that the obviously scared filly clutched tightly.

The sight of the young filly only managed to make Applejack think of Apple Bloom, and if she was safe. Applejack bit her lip slightly, the loud clang of the trains breaks fading into the background.

Damnit AJ, ya’ll should’ve taken Apple Bloom wit’ ya. Now’s she’s all alone there… Applejack thought bitterly.

She slapped her forehead into her face, and released a frustrated groan. She let her hoof slide down her face, before moving to pick up her bags from the overhead compartment. She nearly fell over in doing so however, the heavy steamer trunk quickly overwhelming her less than stellar strength.

She muttered a swear as she dragged the trunk behind her, heading towards the exit. She hauled the heavy trunk off the train and practically stumbled onto the platform, looking for anything resembling a familiar face. It only made sense that somepony would be there to meet her, what with her being part of a secret government program and all.

“Applejack! Applejack Apple!” came a voice, shouting at the top of his lungs, and Applejack looked in the direction of the voice to see, of all ponies, Shining Armor, who was dressed in a neatly pressed uniform.

Applejack smiled awkwardly, waving towards him, pausing to adjust her mane self-consciously. It was probably now horrifically frizzy due to all the steam and smoke surrounding her. She knew well enough that they hadn’t even spoken to each other since Apple Bloom’s cutie mark had appeared, so she wanted to make a good reintroduction. She muttered to herself, chiding how she’d suddenly become so weak kneed and flimsy.

Come on AJ. Ya know him. Stop actin’ like some sorta school filly with a crush. Yer an adult. Act like one.

She smoothed her mane, standing up straight and motioning towards Shining. “Hey, Shinin’! Over here!”

“Oi! Watch yourself!” a random passerby snapped as he bumped into her. She tried to turn and give an apology, but the wave of disembarking ponies started to close in around her, bumping her to and fro.

“Sorry! ‘Cuse me! Pardon me. Sorry ‘bout yer toe…” Applejack continued to apologize, still waving her arms in an attempt to catch the tall stallion’s attention. Fortunately, it didn’t take long, and Shining smiled and waved back, trudging his way through the crowd towards Applejack.

“Applejack! How you doing?” he asked, nudging some random passersby out of the way and grabbing her hoof and bag. He motioned for a more open area of the station. “Come on, this way.”

The two of them carefully made their way through the crowd, with Shining taking the lead, using his larger build to his advantage, and pushing his way through the crowd.

“Sorry for not staying at the camp, but mom came down with the flu.” He gave her a quick smile. “She’s better now though. Was one of those twenty-four hour flu things. I didn’t miss anything back at the camp, did I?”

Applejack shrugged. “Nah, ya didn’t miss nuthin’,” she answered rather nonchalantly. “I mean, I got picked fer tha program, but ya probably guessed that already.”

Shining nodded. “Oh, yeah. Professor must really see something in you.”

Applejack nodded silently, trying to keep her own insecurity of whether she deserved the honor or not hidden. “So… uh… how thing’s goin’ fer ya? I mean, besides yer mom’s bit of flu.”

Shining stopped, holding out an arm to allow a small family to pass by, their bags packed to bursting. He nodded towards them, and they nodded back, appreciative smiles on their faces. Once they passed, he and Applejack started walking again, the crowd steadily thinning.

“It’s been pretty quiet around here,” Shining began, shifting his shoulders slightly. “Twilight’s been studying for her Field Agent’s exam, so I suppose that’s a good thing.”

“Twilight’s a Field Agent?” Applejack asked, tilting her head. “I thought she was already a part of tha army?”

Shining shook his head. “Well, no, it’s not a position in the army persay. It’s a position in the ESS, Equestrian Spy Service.” He then frowned slightly. “She’s been really worried about it. She’s always freaking out over her tests and stuff.”

Applejack scrunched her face slightly. “Really? She kinda seemed pretty normal ta me.”

Shining gave a light scoff. “That’s only because you don’t live with her. Trust me. She’s nice when calm, but when she’s stressed…” he made a corkscrew motion at his head. “She can get a bit wonky. And don’t get me started on how she gets when she skips a couple of day’s rest.”

By now, the pair were making their way out the doors and down the steps, Applejack heartily thankful that the crowd had now thinned to something less daunting. They ended up on the sidewalk, where Shining waved down a taxicab.

Applejack looked at the taxi, and back at Shining. “Uh, where am I stayin’?”

Shining opened and closed his mouth, shifting on his hooves slightly. “Oh well, things are kind of hectic, and all the earth pony hotels are downtown,” he grimaced. “Trust me, you don’t want to go downtown. Especially this late at night.” He then rubbed the back of his neck. “So, we’re just going to bunk at my family’s house. The Professor’s going to be there too, so it’s not like you’re going to be alone or anything.”

Applejack bit her lip. “Ya sure? I kinda don’t wanna be a burden--”

“No, no, it’s fine with everypony. We’re just a few blocks uptown from here anyways, so it’s not a long drive.” He then smiled, opening the door to the cab. “After you.”

Applejack gave him a shy smile, a blush spreading across her face. It wasn’t often that a stallion did something like that for her, much less a unicorn. She muttered a thank you, settling inside the cab as Shining quietly sat across from her, and with a putter, the vehicle set off in the direction that Shining indicated.

/////////////////////////////

The first thing Applejack had noticed about the Sparkle residence was that it was a fairly stately looking brick house, just down the road from the truly magnificent Canterlot Castle, which loomed overhead, it’s tremendous spires spiraling skyward. This was as close to the castle as Applejack had ever been in her life, and her eyes were the size of dinner plates as she gazed at it.

They’d made their way up the steps to the front door, Applejack pulling her eyes away from the castle to better study the house itself. It’s walls looked rather weathered, as if the home were quite old, but other then that, it looked well taken care of. A sharp contrast to the almost comically over the top manner that Glory Belle’s house existed in. Applejack had only been to Mrs. Belle’s home once or twice, but each time, it struck her as something very garish and extreme. This place on the other hand, was understated and calm.

Shining opened the door, giving Applejack the opportunity to step inside first. She took it, walking inside and taking a moment to take in the interior of the house. Again, it was obviously something that only a wealthy pony could afford, but it didn’t seem overly luxurious. Rather, it just seemed… homely.

“So, this is it,” Shining said, making a vague gesture at the hallway. “Casa del Sparkle.”

“Real nice,” Applejack replied simply, noticing how the whole home seemed to smell of books, ink and parchment, mixed in with the scent of old cigarettes and cigars.

Applejack looked up at a large framed painting, in which stood a rather noble looking family.

“This yer family?” she asked, and Shining looked up at the painting and nodded.

“Yeah. But that was like, eighty years ago,” he pointed to another framed image, this time a large painting of a tree. “That’s the family tree. Mom insists on keeping it in the hallway.”

Applejack looked at the painting, carefully tracing the lines and branches from the top down. She arched an eyebrow when she caught sight of a seemingly out of place name.

“Why is Celestia in your family tree?” she asked, giving Shining a confused look.

Shining shrugged. “That’s a question for Mom really, she’s the usually the one who keeps track of stuff like this. But I think it’s more family legend then anything else.”

“Shiny?! Is that you?” came a voice from just out of sight. Both Shining and Applejack turned to see a rather short unicorn mare with a kind face step out from a doorway. A warm smile spread across her face as her eyes focused on Shining. “Oh darling! You’re back from the train station!”

She walked over, spreading her arms and enveloping Shining in a tight hug, giving him a big kiss on the cheek. Shining started to squirm, trying to push the grey mare away as gently as possible.

“Mom! Not now! It’s embarrassing!”

Shining’s mother let him out of the hug,and had to stand on her toes to give his mane a playful ruffle. “There’s my brave little colt, always being so self-aware. I swear you and Twilight are almost identical.”

She then spun on her heels, her tale billowing elegantly, and gave Applejack a hug.

“You must be Applejack Apple,” she said kindly, extending her hoof in greeting. “I’m Twilight Velvet, and I’m Shining’s mother.”

Applejack tipped her head slightly, giving Velvet a hoofshake. “Thank ya kindly, ma’am.

“Oh, please, call me Velvet. No need to be so formal, honey. Why Shiny here hasn’t had a mare over since--”

“Mom, please,” Shining interjected, giving her a pleading look.

Velvet glanced towards him, clicking her tongue slightly. “Oh Shiny, it’s no big deal. Not your fault she couldn’t appreciate your flugelhorn skills. Now, pick up those bags, no need to leave them just sitting in the hallway.” She then beckoned for Applejack to follow after her, already walking away. “Now, come on Applejack, me and the Professor have prepared a nice wonderful dinner.”

“That sounds awfully wonderful Miss Spar-I mean, Velvet. But I really don’t wanna be a burden.” Applejack answered.

Velvet simply waved her hoof dismissively. “Oh nonsense, Applejack. It’s the least I could do for you. You’re our guest, and we are your hosts. Anyways, I had a good bit of help from Professor Schultz. He has a truly amazing casserole recipe.”

At the mention of dinner, Applejack’s stomach made a quiet growl, and she started after Velvet almost immediately, leaving Shining behind, still struggling with the bags.

Maybe this trip won’t be so bad after all, Applejack thought to herself.

Author's Note:

Geez louise this took a damn long time didn't it?

But huzzah we got AJ into Canterlot!

Hopefully the whole "get Apple Bloom to the front" bit wasn't too contrived (I mean, duh, it's a bit of a cheat, but at least I'm honest about it right?)

But yeah, hopefully next chapter will focus on the actual Serum itself, or at least the baddies sending their spy/agent/killer/assassin man person to handle the issue of the Professor. I mean, no real spoiler there.

So yeah, things are finally moving forward, and hopefully the pace will quicken somewhat once we got AJ all injected and on Serum and all.

Also, ya for starting a friendship between Apple Bloom and Gilda! Woot!

No fun gifs this time because I can't think of any :P