• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 4,920 Views, 615 Comments

Harmony's Warriors: Flutterhulk - Avenging-Hobbits

  • ...
8
 615
 4,920

Act I - 01 - And If I Go Insane

Act One
"Places I Remember"

Chapter One
"And If I Go Insane"

Twenty-Three Years Earlier:

*knock* *knock* *knock* *knock*

“Time to go!”

*knock* *knock* *knock* *knock*

“Fluttershy, dear, time to wake up!” The earth pony knocking on the door said. She had a dark red mane and reddish pink coat. On her flank was a peace symbol.

A squeak came from behind the door.

“Fluttershy, dear, if you don’t get up now you’ll be late for the first day of school.” Tree Flower said her voice kind and motherly as she gently opened the door.

The door opened to reveal a small room with various toy stuffed animals and dolls scattered around the floor. There was a small bookcase with a lamp that was overflowing with various books standing next to a small bed. On the bed was a pile of sheets and covers with a small lump in the center.

“I don’t wanna go to school.” A barely audible voice said from underneath the covers.

Tree Flower sighed. “Fluttershy, I know that school can be scary, but you want to learn right? Don’t you want to make friends?” She walked over and gently sat on the bed.

“Yes…” the voice replied.

“Well if you never come out from under those covers, how are you going to be able to make friends?”

There was a pause as the lump moved and suddenly a small filly popped up, her bright blue eyes peaking out from underneath a light pink mane that was rustled and messy.

“But Momma, I don’t like school. What if the teacher doesn’t like me?” The filly said, sniffing slightly.

Tree Flower sighed. When they had first moved to Ponyville from Manehattan, Fluttershy had frequently been the target of the school bully. However, someone found out and, thank Celestia, the pony was expelled.

But the damage had been done. It had taken several months for Fluttershy to feel confident again, but she had finally gotten back into the swing of things, earned her cutie mark, even made some friends.

However, now it was a new school year and Fluttershy was moving up a grade, and that meant a new teacher, and new students.

And Fluttershy didn’t really like new things.

“Well, Flutters, let’s hope that doesn’t happen. And don’t forget, you do have your friends, like Firefly for instance.”

Fluttershy stopped sniffing and looked up. “Oh…I totally forgot about her.”

Tree Flower brought Fluttershy in for a hug. “Oh that’s okay. It’s okay to be a little worried. It’s a new year, and that means new things. But you know what?”

“What?” Fluttershy asked.

“Sometimes, new things are the best things. Think of this new school as one big Hearth’s Warming Eve present waiting to be opened. Doesn’t that sound fun?”

Fluttershy smiled. “Yeah, yeah it does.” She gently nuzzled her mother. “I guess it’s okay then.”

Tree Flower nuzzled her back. “Good. Now, let’s go have some breakfast okay?” and with that, Tree Flower got up and gently helped Fluttershy out of the slightly oversized bed. They turned and walked out of the room together.

/////////////////////

Dr. Banner Wing, a yellow pegasus with a brown mane sat in the waiting room of Ponyville Mental Hospital. He had organized the magazines by date and publisher at least seven different ways to pass the time. He was now currently reading an issue of Ponyville Gazette, making sure that none of the pages got caught or ripped.

Suddenly a small bell rung. He looked up from his newspaper and over to the reception desk.

“Dr. Wing? You may go in now.” The orderly said, as she sat down and went back to her desk and back to work.

“Thank you.” Dr. Banner Wing said as he got up, and, as neatly as possible, used his wings to fold up the newspaper, which he placed on the table where the magazines sat.

He walked over to the door and it opened to reveal the hospital visiting room. Inside were various ponies, some actual patients and some family members also visiting.

His eyes scanned the room, taking in the dozen or so patients that were scattered around the room. His eyes eventually landed on a bald, thin yellow pegasus, who sat studying the table top intently, muttering various things under his breath.

Banner Wing sighed and motioned towards a familiar minty green earth pony nurse. The nurse smiled and trotted up.

“Hello Dr. Wing.” She said quietly.

“Hello Nurse Kindheart.” Banner Wing replied. “How’s he doing?”

Nurse Kindheart looked over at the pegasus. “Well, honestly we thought he was doing better, since he hadn’t mentioned any voices in awhile.”

“But?”

“That’s when we found him this morning.” Nurse Kindheart let out a heavy sigh. “He had somehow managed to shave off his mane, tail and eyebrows. How he was able to find a blade is beyond any of us. He asked specifically to see you.”

Banner Wing himself let out a long heavy sigh. “I know. May I?”

Nurse Kindheart nodded. “Of course you may, just remember, we’ve got him on several medications, okay?”

Banner Wing nodded and quietly walked up to the pony, who seemingly didn’t notice him, instead he continued to stare at the table top, muttering.

Banner Wing sat down directly in front of him. “Hello Cocktail.”

The pony looked up. His pale, sunken in grey eyes staring back. “Oh hey brother.” He looked back down at the table top. “What brings you back?”

Banner Wing simply looked at Cocktail. Why didn’t we spot this sooner? Was all Banner Wing could think. He thought back to his father, Sky Cloud, and how the signs had always been there.

Sky Cloud, although he was an excellent weather pony, would always make sure there were exactly twelve clouds of the same size in every storm. If there were thirteen, he would obsessively clump the clouds together until there were twelve again. If there were eleven, he would frequently request an extra cloud from another team, until once again, there were twelve.

Cocktail himself had shown no signs of obsessive behavior though, instead he was always found talking to his imaginary friends. At first, that’s what everyone thought it was, a simple imaginary friend, a simple fillyhood game that would eventually wear off.

But it didn’t wear off. And now here he was, sitting in a mental hospital, prattling on and on about aliens and a pony only he could see that he insisted was named Jack.

“Well, I see you shaved your mane and eyebrows…” Banner Wing finally said, looking at his brother’s bald head. “Really scared everypony.”

“Jack said it was a good idea…” Cocktail muttered.

“Jack told you so?” Banner Wing said. “And where’s Jack now?”

Cocktail looked back up from the table and paused, his grey eyes darting around. He motioned for Banner Wing to come closer. Banner Wing sighed and leaned in, wary that at any moment his brother might try something crazy.

“Don’t tell anyone, after I shaved my mane, Jack said he had to go and talk to the Sky Lords. They say that if I help, they’ll make sure the Night Breathers can’t attack us. That way the Night Breathers can’t hear my thoughts. You remember Night Breathers, right?”

Banner Wing let out another heavy sigh. “No, Cocktail I don’t.” he replied, rubbing the bridge of his muzzle slightly. Cocktail looked at him if he had just spoken in Griffin.

“What do you mean you don’t remember?” he asked, sounding totally baffled. “They’re the Night Breathers, ponies made of pure darkness with ears and wings like bats, remember? They have those fangs I told you about.”

Banner Wing simply looked at his brother sadly. These ‘Night Breathers’ were a recurring hallucination of his, and he had always insisted that the supposedly supernatural creatures were ruled by a dark unicorn in a red cape, who he described as being made of smoke. Apparently however, this unicorn, or ‘Sombra’ as he insisted it was named, was ruled by the goddess of death from old Equestrian myths, Nightmare Moon. His brother’s somewhat broken voice snapped Banner Wing out his thoughts. “What do you mean you don’t remember? That’s why I shaved.” He paused. “You should shave too Banner Wing, and Tree Flower, and Flutters.”

“Cocktail you know I can’t do that.”

Cocktail looked visibly shocked. “But why? Don’t you want to protect them from the Night Breathers? I mean they’re your wife and daughter.”

Banner Wing sighed. He really loved his brother, and knew he had a problem, but sometimes, he felt that he had to put his hoof down.

“Cocktail, you know for a fact that there are no ‘Night Breathers’, okay. And there are no ‘Sky Lords’ either. You know this.”
Cocktail’s expression changed from that of confusion to anger. “They got to you, didn’t they?”

Banner Wing raised an eyebrow. “Who?”

“The Night Breathers. They got to you with their Hell Sprites. They got to your mind. You’ve been brainwashed.” He waved towards Nurse Kindheart. “Hey! Nurse!” he shouted.

Nurse Kindheart looked up from her paperwork. “Yes Cocktail?”

“My brother has been brainwashed by the Night Breathers. I don’t want to talk to him anymore.” Cocktail said, eyeing Banner Wing with visible disdain.

Nurse Kindheart got up and walked over quietly. “Okay then Cocktail. Do you want to go back to your room?” she asked.

Cocktail nodded. “Yes.”

“Okay then.” She motioned towards two earth pony orderlies who walked up.

Cocktail stood up. “Goodbye Banner Wing. I hope Tree Flower and Fluttershy don’t get brainwashed too.” And with that he nodded towards the orderlies and they lead him out of the room.

Banner Wing simply watched as his brother was escorted away. Once they had left, he let out a heavy sigh.

“I’m sorry.” Nurse Kindheart said. “He was doing so well lately.” She put a reassuring hoof on his shoulder.

Banner Wing nodded. “I know, I know.” He stood up. “Well, at least he’s here, where he’s relatively safe.” he started to walk towards the door.

“Goodbye Dr. Wing.” Nurse Kindheart said as he made his way towards the door.

“Goodbye Nurse Kindheart, hope you have a good day.”

Author's Note:

Chapter title from the song "If" by Pink Floyd

Okay, here you go. Chapter One.

Cocktail is meant to show that Fluttershy's family has a history of mental problems. Hope I was able to get this across...and I can always mention stuff later.

The shaving the hair and eyebrows is a reference to Syd Barrett.

Gosh, doesn't this story look like a fun romp?