• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 6,742 Views, 591 Comments

Harmony's Warriors: Soar - Avenging-Hobbits

  • ...
9
 591
 6,742

Act II - 07 - Let 'Em In

Act II:
All Equal in the End

Chapter Seven:
"Let 'Em In"

Scootaloo quietly cried to herself while she sat bundled up in the comforters of Daring Do’s bed. One minute everything had been fine, with Scootaloo relaxing with the absolute most awesome and coolest pony she’d ever met, Rainbow Dash. She had finally met a pony who treated her normal again; for six months every pony, including her aunt, treated her like she was carrying the plague and being near meant they would catch her troubles.

Rainbow Dash was also the only pony who was willing to actually sit and listen to the old records Scootaloo had found in her aunt’s attic. Most fillies her age couldn’t sit for a two-minute song, much less a ten-minute one. But Rainbow Dash had sat down besides her, gulping down her hot cocoa, and saying how where she came from people sat for whole evenings “basking in the majestic songs of a young bard.” That sounded like heaven to Scootaloo.

Of course, all that had been forgotten when her Aunt Daring exploded into the room, and started yelling at Rainbow. The way her aunt had looked at Rainbow Dash scared Scootaloo; she had never seen her aunt so angry before. Heck, she had never seen anypony so angry in her life. Scootaloo had tried to explain, but her aunt would have none of it, and banished her to the room until further notice. The next thing she had heard was muffled shouting and the sound of something breaking, followed by more angry shouting and then the front door slamming.

So now here she was, bundled in the covers, trying to muffle her sobs against the fabric. She was afraid if her aunt heard her she might come in and yell at her again.

As her sobs began to lessen her thoughts wandered, focusing mostly on Rainbow Dash, or rather the pony that Scootaloo saw every time she looked at her.

Her mother.

Mommy… she thought. She felt fresh tears starting to build in her eyes and she rubbed them out. Mommy would have thanked Rainbow, not start yelling and screaming at her. She saved my life doesn’t Daring-

*knock*knock*knock*

The gentle knocking at the bedroom door snapped Scootaloo out of her thoughts.

“Scootaloo…” the voice said. It was Aunt Daring. Scootaloo burrowed herself deeper into the covers.

“Go away,” She said, her voice muffled by the thick comforters.

She could hear her aunt let out a heavy sigh from the other side of the door.

“Look, Scootaloo. Please… let me in, okay?” Daring asked, her voice sounding somewhat hoarse, almost as if she had been crying. There was a long pause. Usually if Scootaloo didn’t make any more noise Daring would walk away and leave her alone. She heard Daring sigh.

“Please, Scootaloo, let me in. I want to talk with you,” the older pony’s voice sounded almost as if she was about to cry.

Scootaloo hesitated. She’d never heard her aunt sound… emotional before. Even at the funeral the most Daring had done was become slightly teary eyes. The mental image of her aunt crying just outside the door sent a pang of guilt through Scootaloo and she nodded her head.

“Yeah... you can come in...” she replied in a low voice.

There was the sound of a fumbling lock and what sounded like a sigh of relief before the sound of the door opened. Scootaloo peeked from under the covers and watched her aunt step inside. She could have sworn she saw Daring wiping away a tear. Her aunt’s eyes were pink and puffy and she trotted towards the bed very slowly.

“Thank you,” Daring said. She sat tentatively on the edge of the bed. The older mare ran a hoof through her monochrome mane and let out another heavy sigh.

“I’m sorry,” Daring said softly. “I’m sorry for yelling at you. I shouldn’t have done that, I handled the situation very badly.” She paused again, rubbing her eyes. “These past months since—the accident have been stressful for both of us, and I know I’m not the best guardian in the world, but I am trying. I know it might not seem like it but I am, very hard.”

Tears started dropping down Daring’s cheeks and she seemed to give up trying to stop them, and just let her head hang down helplessly. That somehow made Scootaloo feel even worse.

“Back in town I thought I’d lost you, Scootaloo,” she said and now her voice was wavering with tears. “You’re all I have. Firefly was all I had left after our parents passed… I have no husband and no children of my own. If I lost you, there would be no one left for me in this world.”

Daring Do suddenly wrapped her arms around Scootaloo and pulled her in a tight hug.

Scootaloo tensed up for a moment but when she felt her begin she shudder with sobs she went limp and burst into tears.

“I’m sorry too, Auntie. I’m sorry for running away, I didn’t mean to scare you, I swear…” Her sobs finally swallowed her voice.

Daring Do began to rock her back and forth, just like Mommy used to do. Scootaloo hadn’t realized how much she missed being hugged; she remembered how she used to push Mommy away and say something stupid like, “Moooooom, that’s embarrassing” or “I’m too old for this, Mom”. How could she have been so dumb? She’d give anything for another one of Mommy’s hugs.

Daring Do and Scootaloo both abruptly stopped crying as they caught the sound of galloping hoofsteps coming towards the door. The two pegasi turned to the door to see Comet Tail burst through the door.

“Hey, *pant* guys… I think that crazy *pant* rainbow pony got into a *pant* bar fight!” he gasped.

At first, Daring and Scootaloo simply gaped at him. Then Daring sprung to her hooves and darted out the door, leaving Scootaloo and Comet Tail staring after her.

“So… what did I miss exactly?” the stallion asked confusedly.

////////////////////

Daring hung her head. She had been searching for the cyan mare for hours. She’d been to every bar, asked every bartender and patron, and still couldn’t find her. The strangest thing was that nopony even seemed to know who she was talking about, taking into account the rather overt nature of Rainbow Dash’s personality and looks. She berated herself for not first asking Comet Tail which bar the fight had been but she decided the wasted hours were a just penance for her earlier actions.

She had driven this pony, clearly disoriented and alone, out into a strange and closely-knit community where she was bound to stir up trouble for herself. She could have at least notified the police, asked around, make sure she wasn’t visiting family; anything really truly friendly and neighborly. The pony hadn’t acted hostile or dangerous and Daring had treated her criminally and unjustly.

She had left the last bar about fifteen minutes ago, her head low, when she heard a commotion just ahead and looked up.

“HEY! Get outta the street, you crazy mare!” a middle-aged stallion yelled as he brought the cart he was pulling to a stop.

“I walk where I please, mortal!” a familiar and commanding voice retorted. It was Rainbow Dash, striding through the middle of the street like she owned it.

Daring paused, caught between shock and relief. The first thing that came to her mind was how very similar she was to Firefly. They were both like the thunderheads that the Weather Teams would sculpt in order to bring the next rainstorm. They were a sounding fury that blasted into the room and like a tornado drew in every pony in presence.

Of course, the one thing that prevented Rainbow from being a perfect copy of Firefly was one very important detail.

As much as Firefly might have gotten on Daring’s nerves at times—and that had been most of the time—she had always been tenderhearted, even when playing one of her many pranks. She always careful that her tricks so she could laugh with the pony and not at them. She was always conscious not to let her own deafening manner smother another pony’s softer one; she was never so wrapped up in her own music not to hear another’s quieter tune.

This pony, on the other hand, seemed to hear nothing but the thundering of her own drum. She danced through the world and didn’t mind whose toes she stepped on as long as she kept time with her own inaudible music. With a force of character like that she was either going to level everypony around her or waste herself away in a wink.

Daring’s thoughts were interrupted as she realized that Rainbow Dash was walking with a limp. She squinted and in the dimming light she also saw that the blue mare’s body was splotched with massive bruises and with one eye so injured she seemed barely able to open it.

Dear Celestia, she wasn’t in a fight, she’s been in a beatdown, Daring thought, finding herself quickly approaching the mare. Merciful Celestia, last time I saw this poor thing I threw her out of my house. What am I going to say?

She decided with this pony the direct manner would work as well as any. “Hey Rainbow Dash!” she called.

Rainbow Dash swung around as if to defend against another strike but nearly stumbled over her own hooves. “You again,” she said darkly. “Have you come to assault me again? Was casting me into the street not enough?”

“No, I’m not here to fight you,” Daring said, her voice low with embarrassment. “I’m actually here to apologize for earlier.”

Rainbow eyed her doubtfully and Daring sighed. “My niece—Scootaloo—and I have been through a lot recently and when I thought I’d lost her… I acted very incorrectly out of that emotion. I’m sorry I didn’t give you the appreciation for protecting her, so as an apology I’d like to offer you assistance in any way I can. Help contact your family or the police, find you a place to stay.”

Rainbow Dash seemed to mulling the offer over, her brow drawn tightly over her red eyes. Finally, she looked down. “I too know what it is to lash out in a moment of emotion. I accept your apology and your assistance. So long—” she added swiftly, now looking up at Daring. “—As you give me your word not to throw anything at me again.”

Daring smiled. “It’s a deal.”

Rainbow smiled and Daring saw her teeth were coated in blood. “Very well, then. Where do you suggest we go, Lady Daring?”

“The hospital is—”

Rainbow Dash’s face paled. “No.”

“I think—”

“If you insist on taking me to that dread place, we must part ways. I shall not return to that lair of torment.”

Daring was going to protest, but decided against it. Considering Rainbow Dash was an adult and obviously still lucid—in her own way at least—she couldn’t be severely injured and Daring had enough experience with minor wounds to be confident she could patch the pony up.

And it was getting very late, the sun had fallen behind the horizon and the last glow was fading into the hillsides. Too late to find Rainbow another place to stay and she didn’t think leaving this pony alone was wise—for Rainbow Dash or any other pony in her vicinity for that matter.

“Well then, what do you say to spending the night at my house? I can promise a warm bed, warm food and no flying mugs,” Daring said.

Rainbow Dash smiled. “I would be most honored, my Lady. Lead the way.”

////////////////////

Daring poured herself a second cup of coffee. It had been late by the time she and Rainbow Dash had finally reached the house, Rainbow Dash’s injuries increased their travel time by a whole hour. When they had finally reached home, Daring had to call Comet Tail outside to help her carry Rainbow into the house and seat her on a kitchen stool, despite the blue pony’s slurred objections that she “was very well and needed no assistance.”

Scootaloo had stood in the kitchen door gaping and Daring had to ask her twice to fetch the first aid kit. After bring it to her aunt, Scootaloo sat at the table with Comet Tail and stared at Rainbow Dash who offered no protest as Daring tended to her wounds. Daring had been correct; none of them were truly hospital worthy and needed only a bandage here and some disinfectant there. The blood in Rainbow's mouth had merely been a simple case of her accidentally biting her tongue in whatever fight she had been in.

Rainbow Dash couldn’t stand at all for the trip up the stairs so Daring and Comet Tail hauled her limp body up the stairs and to the guest bedroom, where they deposited her on the bed. She made a slurred sound that Daring assumed was a failed expression of gratitude and then passed out.

Daring Do then went off to bed, promising the frenzied Comet Tail and Scootaloo answers in the morning.

So here she was, filling her mug a second time to the brim with simmering coffee, after having explain yesterday’s events to her niece and friend, who now sat silently at the kitchen table.

Finally, Scootaloo said, “So she’s staying here?”

“Until I can find better placement, yes,” Daring Do said, sipping her coffee. “I’m going to call the police as soon as I’m lucid and ask if they have any missing ponies under her description.”

Scootaloo looked disappointed but didn’t say anything. Comet Tail looked kind of relieved. There was a pause between them as the clock on the wall struck nine. Daring let out a long sigh.

“Well… I think today is shaping up to be a rather long one. Let’s just get it overwith huh?"

Comet Tail nodded in agreement and started up the stairs. Daring was about to follow him when she noticed that Scootaloo was still sitting in her chair, the same disappointed expression on her face.

“Scootaloo,” Daring said, causing Scootaloo look at her. “Come on, lets get this day moving.”

Scootaloo’s shoulders sagged and she nodded glumly, and with that, the two pegasi made their way upstairs.

////////////////////

Rainbow Dash’s eyes opened slowly. She could still feel the various dull aches and pains from the day before, and her left eye was just as swollen as before. From where she was laying, she could see millions of flecks of dust serving as ambassadors to the bright morning light. She dragged herself up, rubbing her head gently. Her memories from the day before came streaming back to her. Groaning, she staggered to her hooves, wincing as a stab of pain shot up her leg. Her eyes landed on a door across from the bed and she opened it to find what she assumed was the bathroom, as it was covered in white tiles and had a large mirror in the wall. Noticing her reflection, Rainbow turned to stare directly in the mirror.

For the first time, she was able to see exactly how bad her injuries were. Her left eye was completely black now and swollen so that she could barely open it, much less see. Her good eye drifted down to look at her abdomen. It had a series of massive purple and blue bruises and constant dull pain emanated from them every time Rainbow Dash attempted to make the slightest movement.

But even more worrisome was the distinct lack of her wings. Yes, she had noted their absence in the hospital, but now she really had a chance to observe her back without them. She tried to reach her shoulder blade with a hoof, to feel if there was at least a nub indicating bone growth or something, but winced as she felt her arm muscles spasm; she could barely lift the leg, much less reach.

By now her anger had faded and in its place settled the cold grip of fear. How was it that she had none of the godlike power she once had exhibited on previous trips to Equestria? The last time she had visited here she had called down a bolt of lightning so massive it set half a town aflame and the residence had attempted to sacrifice a cow to her; Aunt Cadance had put a stop to both.

Rainbow Dash shut her eyes and concentrated on her body, trying to see if she could identify any gap or hollow within herself where her powers used to be.

Yes, now she could feel the faintest but distinct tingle of magic covering her body. It was so very vague someone unfamiliar with magic would have overlooked it, but to her it was a familiar sensation she had experienced many times before. Be it from unicorn healers helping her after a battle or from other magically enabled warriors or from hanging around Trixie in her lab.

What sort of enchantment am I under? Is this another one of Trixie’s tricks? Was Mother banishing me not enough for her—

Mother. Rainbow Dash felt suddenly cold.

Has Mother seen fit to make me… mortal?

She tried to recall her last moments in Asgard, everything had been such a muddle since her landing she’d had no time to think on the events that had deposited her here. She remembered what her mother had called her, moments before everything was a blur.

Unworthy.

And then everything had exploded into a shower of colors and sparks and she was flung out of the Chamber. She opened her eyes once more, and stared determinedly into the mirror.

So that’s it, she thought. Mother, I am not unworthy. I shall prove myself once more in your eyes. Watch me.

////////////////////

The flying chariot banked hard over the Equestrian desert, causing the passengers inside to lean slightly to the right. Among the passengers was a bright pink pony with a poofy mane. She was currently singing quite loudly to whatever song was in her head, even though no headphones or music player could be seen. “I’m walkin’ on sunshine, wooah! I’m walkin’ on sunshine, wooah! And don’t it feel gooooooood!” she held the last note for quite awhile, causing the young dragon sitting across from her to hold up a claw.

“Pinkie… please,” the dragon asked, gently rubbing his temple. He by no means hated the pony sitting across from him. She was, surprisingly, one of NEIGHS’ top agents, with a wide array of skills that made her invaluable in spite of her somewhat absent-minded persona. But at times, she could get a little on his nerves. This was one of those times.

The pink pony paused, giving the dragon a quizzical look. “What did you say? Didn’t hear ya, Spike,” she said, reaching to her ear to pull out a very small device that looked like a hearing aid. The dragon simply sighed and looked out the window, eyeing the desert terrain below.

“Nothing, Pinkie… nothing at all,” Spike sighed once more, making due to study the random patterns that appeared in the sand. His mind began to wander, which often happened on the rather long flights involved with his job. Once more, he had been tasked with setting out to investigate strange happenings in some corner of Equestria. In most cases, the mission would usually end with him contentedly writing a detailed report of what happened, and how NEIGHS might deal with whatever the problem entailed. Some, like the Iron Mare mission, ended very well, with everything working out nicely and Shining Armor giving him a pat on the back.

This time, the mission had something to do with strange and unnatural weather phenomena in the Appleloosian desert. At first, Spike proposed it might just be a new weather team recruit or the like, but the news of an apparent meteor strike in the area close to the aforementioned freakish weather quickly ruled out that option. Whenever the words “meteor strike” and “strange weather phenomena” came together in a sentence, it was almost always a red flag. Spike had seen his fair share of strange, aberrant and occasionally downright disturbing things during his time with NEIGHS, so he was quite prepared for the worst.

Pinkie Pie all of a sudden spoke up, “Whatcha looking at, Spike?” Spike nearly leapt out of his scales at her unexpected appearance, with her somehow appearing in the seat next to him, looking out the window as well. Taking a deep breath to return himself to his normally calm demeanor, Spike ironed out his now slightly ruffled suit and turned to face the pink pony.

“Nothing really… just the desert.”

Pinkie Pie shrugged. “Oh okay. I personally prefer looking at dessert than deserts. Desserts just have more flavor and color.” Pinkie rambled on as the chariot continued to speed along towards its destination. They passed through a cloud bank which cleared to reveal their destination.

Over a small line of hills was a large crater. Spike’s eye ridges lowered slightly at the sight below. Surrounding the crater was a small crowd of dots that moved in and out, apparently all attracted to whatever it was that sat on top of the small mound in the center of the crater. Pinkie Pie peered out the window and smiled.

“Wow! Looks like a big party down there! Spike! Can we join the party? I wanna show ‘em my moves!” she giggled, as she started to swing her arms around as if she was performing karatei. Spike simply rolled his eyes.

Just Pinkie being Pinkie, he thought. The chariot banked once more, and pulled in for a landing, impacting the ground gently and coming to a stop. At that, the two passengers disembarked, stepping out onto the desert sand. Spike reflexively whipped out his sunglasses in order to shield his eyes from the bright sunlight. The windows of the chariot had been tinted, so the adjustment from the lighting inside the chariot to the bright sunlight was a large one.

Pinkie Pie had also whipped out a pair of sunglasses, and was now following Spike to look at the crater. The chariot had landed them on the top of a ledge that enabled them to overlook the entire crater and all the ponies surrounding it. A smile crossed Spike’s face.

This is certainly interesting… he thought when he caught sight of the object jutting out of the center of the crater.

“So, ya wanna call Shining?” Pinkie chirped. Spike simply grinned a little more, a look of satisfaction on his face. He reached into his jacket pocket and fished out a small cell phone, dialing a number. He put the phone to his ear.

“Yeah this is Agent Spike… we found it.”

Author's Note:

Chapter title from the song "Let 'Em In" by Wings

Yeah the title's a bit of a cop out. But I always liked that song, and I figured it captured the spirit of the chapter. Letting RD into their lives.

Also IRON MARE JUST GOT FEATURED.

Hopefully, we'll be able to get you the next chapter (which is a Trixie chapter) to you guys soon. THINGS ARE MOVING FORWARD.