• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 6,754 Views, 591 Comments

Harmony's Warriors: Soar - Avenging-Hobbits

  • ...
9
 591
 6,754

Act II - 13 - Engulfed in a Fever of Spite

Act II:
All Equal in the End

Chapter Thirteen:
“Engulfed in a Fever of Spite”

Trixie sat upon the oversized throne, eagerly watching the entrance way. She had expected them to be brought to her rather quickly, but it had been at least two hours since her summons. She would not allow herself to become anxious, though. Not now — this was to be her perfect moment and she would not let it be robbed from her.

She wondered what might have been keeping them. She had been planning this meeting ever since her return from Hekkerheim that morning, even going as far to dig up an old tome of ancient divination spells to discern how this meeting’s outcome might be. Of course, the spells had been ancient, from a time even before Leif the Upright. As such, their aftereffects had left much to be desired; Trixie felt as if a fog hung over her and she had the slightest of headaches. It also didn’t help that she hadn’t had a moment’s rest since her night terror the night before, and she felt drained.

Curse whichever sorcerer crafted that accursed spell… she thought, rubbing her forehead gingerly. Didn’t even provide the vaguest of answers.

She nearly shot out of her seat when the door creaked open and Commander Bulwark stepped into the great hall.

“Are they here?” she asked, barely able to keep the anticipation from smothering her voice.

Bulwark nodded. “Yes, All-Mother. Do you wish to see them now?”

“Yes, Commander,” Trixie said, and with a curt nod Commander Bulwark stepped out of the door again. There short pause and Trixie held her breath, letting it out in a sudden gasp as the sight of the two ponies that stepped inside the throne room. To the left, constantly shifting on his eight hooves, was a powdery, light grey earth pony stallion. Beside him stood a tremendously tall unicorn with a coat that was an almost deathly white, contrasting sharply against her flowing black mane. But the contrast between the stallion at her side was even greater; while he glanced about apprehensively as if he somehow expected the walls to collapse around him, she stood so upright that she seemed carved of stone.

Trixie grinned and clapped her hooves together. “My children!” she said, beckoning for them. “It is so marvelous to see you!”

The stallion and the mare traded a quick glance before looking back towards her. “Come, come!” Trixie beckoned frantically. The pair of ponies started towards her, the unicorn carrying herself with dark imperialism, while the stallion shuffled along, looking extremely meek.

After what seemed like an eternity of crossing the throne room the two ponies ended up standing before the steps of the throne. “Hello, my beloveds,” Trixie said, hurriedly stepping down so that she could be at their level. She spread her forelegs wide and pulled the grey stallion into a constricting hug. “My precious Sleipnir! Are you well?” She asked, pulling back to look her son in the face.

Sleipnir shrugged slightly and mumbled, “I’m doing well, Mother.”

“Oh that’s wonderful!” Trixie beamed and, after giving him another tight hug, released Sleipnir and turned towards the unicorn mare. “My dearest Hela,” she said, looking up at the taller mare, taking one of her hooves in her own. “You are as lovely as ever.”

Hela looked down towards her and smiled thinly. “Greetings, and thank you, Mother. I trust that you have called us here today for something more than simple reunion?”

Trixie nodded. “Yes, of course, my dear,” she patted her daughter’s hoof comfortingly before abruptly dropping it to jump back up the stairs and return to her seat on the throne.

Hela’s eyes narrowed. “Mother… what is going on?” she said in her standard deliberate manner.

Sleipnir glanced at his sister then back at his mother, nodding. “Yes, Mother… why are you on the throne? I thought Celestia was All-Mother.”

Trixie nodded, putting on a soothing smile. “Worry not, my lovelies. Your great Aunt Cadence simply decided that I should finally be allowed to fully ascend to my proper position. Until Celestia is well, of course,” she added smoothly, but she could already perceive that Hela was doubtful, while Sleipnir raised his eyebrows. “Your Aunt Rainbow’s actions in Hekkerheim put great stress upon Celestia so as of now she is in the depths of the Slumber.”

Both her children said nothing, seeming stunned into silence by the news. Sleipnir found his voice first. “Was grandmother’s sleep planned?” he asked slowly.

“No,” Trixie said evenly.

Again it appeared the pair was too shocked to say more. It seemed that Sleipnir, as sharp and quick-minded as Trixie knew him to be, was having trouble wrapping his mind around these ramifications. Hela meanwhile, looked like she understood perfectly well and Trixie could sense worry coming off her in waves.

“Don’t fret my children,” Trixie said, breaking the silence. “I already have a plan in action to keep the balance in place, but that is not why I called for you two.”

“Then why did you call us?” they asked in perfect unison.

Trixie leaned forward and her voice became soft. “I called you because I want us to be a family, like we were always meant to be. But not just us three — also your brothers Fenrir and Jormungandr, we can all live here, together, in the palace, which should have always been your home. My dear children, I will be your mother again.” Trixie stopped as the tears filled her throat.

Hela was as still and solemn as death but her brother’s face had broken into a grin and he began bouncing up and down.

“I can’t believe it, Mother! Not in all my wildest dreams! You now can break Fenrir’s curse and cure Jormungandr of his madness?!?!” he all but shrieked.

Trixie shook her head slightly and idly rubbed her arm. “Well, not as of yet, but I am sure once we are all here the answer will come.”

Sleipnir stopped mid-bounce, staring mouth agape at his mother. There was a pregnant pause and this time, Hela broke the silence. “Mother. If you cannot help them, then why would you release them?” she asked, looking directly in Trixie’s eyes. “Have you forgotten how Fenrir nearly killed Uncle Thunderlane or how Jörmungandr is so set on proving the Norn Stones wrong that he nearly caused the palace to fall and kill all inside? Their bindings are acts of mercy and you know it, Mother.”

Trixie closed her eyes tightly as the painful memories played out in her mind. Taking a breath to steady herself, she shook her head slightly before opening her eyes again. “Maybe at the time for them it was, but what about the two of you? Was it right for them to take you from me? Force one to live among the dead while the other lives and toils in the halls of the thestrals? You both could have lived in comfort and luxury with no cares or obligations, with the deference and honors of princes and princesses. You could have lived with me." She stopped suddenly, her brows falling over her eyes. “Why do you question me? I thought you would be pleased by the news of our inevitable reunion. Aren’t you happy about it? Do you not love me anymore…?” Her voice cracked and trailed off.

There was another aching silence before Sleipnir spoke again, this time in a much more solemn tone. “Mother, you know full well that we love you best of anypony in our lives. But you also know we each have our duties. Hela must guard the dead from those perverters of magic who would wish to torment and exploit them and I am soon to marry Lord Dredzin’s daughter to link our cultures.”

Trixie waved dismissively. “Yes, yes, yes I know all of that, I am fully aware, but don’t you see as All-Mother I can free you of such burdens? You will not have to go away to marry some petty lord’s daughter and Hela will not have to endure the wasting presence of the disgraced dead.”

“But Mother, I want to marry Lord Dredzin’s daughter.”

At Sleipnir’s words Trixie felt like a claw had gripped her heart. “You…want to?”

“Yes,” Sleipnir said sincerely. “I’ve met Lady Erya and she is an intelligent, agreeable and honorable mare. I am honored to marry her.”

She stared at her son for a long moment, her expression seemingly frozen in a state of stony impassiveness, before she slowly turned to face her daughter. “And what of you Hela?” she asked, but her voice noticeably colder. Hela simply let out a heavy, weary sigh.

“What Sleipnir say is true Mother,” she stated plainly. “We have our responsibilities and I cannot protect my subjects from here. Even this brief absence causes me to worry what horrid things may have attempted to use my helpless subjects for their own ends.”

Trixie simply blinked in abject astonishment. “Subjects?” she literally spat and her eyes flashed, Sleipnir later told Hela they seemed to almost change color for an instant. “Is that what you think of them?”

Hela frowned, an expression that provoked terror in greater hearts. “Yes, it is, Mother. They are my subjects and I am their sovereign. It is my duty and my honor to protect them. Now if you will please excuse me, I must return to them before any harm befalls them and overflows into your kingdom.” With that Hela turned slowly, her mane streaming like a cape behind her as she strode towards the door of the throne room.

Trixie watched as her daughter, the filly she had borne of her own blood and labor, turned her back on her and all but slapped away Trixie’s open arms. She could feel her heart tighten with every step Hela took until she exited the throne room, the door booming shut behind her. Trixie felt as if her heart was pulled so taunt it stopped beating. She turned to Sleipnir, her face dark.

“Well. What of you? Will you be leaving as well?” she asked sharply. Sleipnir shifted on his hooves, and bowed his head.

“Mother, as much as it pains me, I-I must go. Lady Erya desires to go over runes today, I did not quite inherit your knack for magic.”

Trixie set her jaw and turned her face away from her son. “I see. My son, the one whom I nurtured and protected sees fit to leave me for a creature of darkness…”

“Mother-” Sleipnir began but Trixie whirled about, her face lunging into his, her eyes flaming with a raw anger, causing the words to die on his tongue.

“Tell me Sleipnir, have you informed this Lady Erya of how you used to run rampant on Midgard and how many mares you’ve bedded? Does she know of the bastards you’ve fathered?” she asked, her voice positively dripping with vicious malice.

Sleipnir’s expression went from imploring to stricken. Trixie watched gloweringly as he opened his mouth as if to reply but instead closed it, swallowed, and his expression hardened.

“Yes, Mother. I have in fact informed her of my trespasses and she has forgiven me of them, not holding them against me…” He stopped and Trixie could tell he was now holding back tears. “Unlike, of all creatures, you. Good day, Mother.” He spoke the last word in something like a daze and then turned and walked away without another word.

Trixie watched as the door shut behind him and listened to the echo of its close until it faded away, faintly marveling that she felt nothing.

//////////////////////////////

Spitfire sat on the windowsill, staring out towards the Bifrost. From the position of her room, she could see the Rainbow Bridge, shimmering in the light of the setting sun. She could hear the thundering roar of the seemingly endless waterfall that poured off the edge of their world, and could even see the small, pearl shape of the Bifrost itself, reflecting the sun like a jewel.

But despite the breathtaking view Spitfire felt like there was a rotting knot in the center of her stomach. Her thoughts, no matter how much she tried to distract or occupy them, kept returning to the argument she’d had with Trixie the day before.

She had been, in the simplest of terms, a complete and total brute towards Trixie. Now that she thought about it, she had always acted that way towards her, constantly picking a fight or spitting a mean-spirited joke at her. Trixie had of course always been quick with a comeback that was five times as worse and more malicious than anything Spitfire would have been able to fathom.

And there wasn’t just their constant sparing that had built up this animosity between them. Trixie had, many times in the past, done much worse than hurl an insult Spitfire’s way, Spitfire knew she was made of tougher stuff than to be offended by a random insult. It was the pranks, and not just any pranks but ones of the most vicious and cruel nature, designed to heap the greatest amount of humiliation on Spitfire. They ranged from simply changing the locks on her doors, to making it so that Spitfire’s sword burned her own hooves, and to shaving her mane in her sleep and giving it to a thestral.

But, even with that justification for all of Spitfire’s resentment towards Trixie, Spitfire knew that what she had said was inexcusable. To mock Trixie’s inability to prevent her violation and to her children monsters - it was beyond the pale. And also, who was to say that Spitfire wouldn’t have acted the same way given those circumstances.

She knew that Rainbow’s actions probably caused untold ripples and aftereffects that were spreading throughout the realms, who was to say that Trixie wasn’t undergoing similar stress? Even as much as Spitfire was loathe to admit it, she knew that Trixie and Rainbow Dash were close as sister’s could be and that in her own conniving and backhanded way Trixie had saved their lives many times in the past.

She let out a sigh and stepped off the windowsill, slowly walking through her room. She was one of the lucky few who got to live in the palace full-time, and therefore her room was one of utmost elegance and refinement. A far cry from the homely, pitiful shack she had grown up in. She idly ran a hoof across the sheets of her bed, where her own personal symbol: An ornate Z followed by two O’s interconnected through the letter S.

To have such an ornate symbol was to mean you were of noble blood. Spitfire was certainly not that; she was about as far from nobility as one could get. She was born in a shack in the middle of a poor village and had by the sweat of her own brow clawed her way out of that gutter. She had been lucky enough to catch the attention of Rainbow Dash and before she even knew it she was part of Rainbow’s own special team, following the Crown Princess of Asgard into the thick of a thousand battles. Few ponies could have even dream of achieving such a thing and yet here she was.

“I’ve been a fool,” she whispered aloud, and slowly started for the door. “Here goes nothing.” She paused, inhaling deeply before opening the door and stepping out into the hallway towards the throne room.

//////////////////////////////

Spitfire made her way down the halls of the castle, heading directly towards the throne room. As she walked, she busied herself with trying to figure out exactly what to say as an apology. She didn’t want it to seem like groveling, she still had some self-worth that was for sure. And yet she didn’t want to seem insincere either, as she truly did feel sorry, and wanted to find the best way to express it.

Of course, Spitfire was no politician, so here she was, muttering and mumbling, mentally going through what seemed like a thousand different apologies, all them being quickly exchanged for another one. She was so absorbed in drafting up an apology, that she barely noticed the lanky grey stallion ambling towards her. That is until she bumped right into him.

“Oh my deepest apologies!” The stallion said, taking several steps back. Spitfire dusted herself off and looked towards the stallion.

“No, no it’s alright, I really wasn’t paying attention…” she trailed off when she saw who it was. “Oh… hello, Sleipnir…” she said, her tone tepid. Sleipnir seemed to sense it, as he shifted on his hooves worryingly.

“Um… hello, Lady Spitfire…” he said, rubbing a foreleg slightly. Spitfire simply nodded.

“Indeed. Do you know where Trixie is? I wish to speak with her.” she asked rather matter-of-factly.

“Moth… Trixie is in the throne room,” he replied, shifting on his hooves again, obviously out of his depth. Spitfire raised an eyebrow.

“Throne room?” she asked, arching an eyebrow. Sleipnir nodded. Spitfire furrowed her brow. “Are you sure?”

He nodded again, not saying a word. Spitfire let out a huff.

“Alright then… thank you, Sleipnir.” And with that she started towards the throne room with renewed vigor. Something was up. Not only was Sleipnir within the palace walls, something that hadn’t been done in quite some time, but Trixie was apparently alone in the throne room. As much as Spitfire was willing to go and apologize for her own past actions, she wasn’t about to just let her guard down for the sake of politics.

She spotted Commander Bulwark, an old friend of hers and waved towards him. “Bulwark!”

“Lady Spitfire,” he replied, saluting her. Spitfire gave him a rather sloppy salute in response.

“May I enter the throne room? I wish to speak with Cadence.”

Commander Bulwark raised an eyebrow. “Lady Cadence? She’s not there.”

Spitfire blinked. “What do you mean she’s not there? Isn’t she the one tasked with All-Mothership until Celestia’s recovery?”

“No, Lady Spitfire, she is not. She’s been tasked to aid in her recovery. Lady Trixie is acting All-Mother.”

“Oh… Then, may I enter the throne room to speak with Lady Trixie?”

“You may.” And with that he moved aside to let Spitfire through. The door opened to reveal Trixie sitting on the throne across from Spitfire. Spitfire could tell that Trixie looked noticeably sullen, as her entire body seemed to sag over the throne. Almost instantly, all of Spitfire’s bravado seemed to evaporate. Maybe it was just the lighting of the hall or how she was sitting, but Trixie seemed to exude an almost demonic sense of domination in the room, as if she were some kind of dark mage.

“Lady Spitfire… welcome,” Trixie said, her voice magically amplified to carry across the hall and carrying an almost supernatural malevolence. Spitfire nodded.

“Have you come to spit yet more stabbing poniards towards me? Or have you satisfied your urge to see me demeaned?” Trixie asked, before Spitfire even had a chance to speak. Spitfire tightened her jaw and felt her temper flare.

“No, Trixie. I have not come for such a thing,” she said, being sure to choose her words carefully. Something was wrong with the way Trixie was acting. She knew Trixie tended to dabble in somewhat… occult arts, but never did those dabblings seem to affect her in such a way. She seemed to be almost completely covered in a dark, oppressive cloud. “Instead, I have come to implore for your…” she paused, her own ego protesting her attempts at meekness. “…apologies for my actions yesterday evening.”

“Oh? And what actions might those be? Acquainting my children to abominations or justifying the actions of the one who violated me?” Trixie asked, her voice venomous. Spitfire bit her lip, already feeling humiliated by the situation, but also by her previous actions. She had been wrong to say those things, and she most likely would have potentially received a much worse punishment than just having to apologize.

“Both, All-Mother,” she finally said, reminding herself to address Trixie as All-Mother. Anything to help try and smooth over the obviously rough ground between them. “I have been foolish, and I shouldn’t have spoken such things against you, and most assuredly not against your children.”

As she said this, Spitfire looked up and was surprised to see how Trixie was now sitting. She seemed to sit noticeably more upright, and the unsettling aura seemed to have dissipated from her.

“I see, Lady Spitfire,” Trixie said, standing up right. “And, since I feel generous this day, I shall absolve thee of your past missteps. Surely my sister’s banishment and Mother’s sudden retirement have been a heavy burden for everypony in the kingdom, and most likely you were simply suffering from some of that stress," as she spoke, she walked down from the throne and closer to Spitfire, and eventually ended up face to face with her. "All is forgiven, Lady Spitfire." she smiled, and Spitfire raised an eyebrow slightly.

"I am?" she asked, taken aback by Trixie's heel face turn and the news of Rainbow's banishment. She had honestly thought that Rainbow had been grounded or something along those lines. Trixie nodded.

"Of course, of course. I have much more burdensome things on my mind then holding a petty grudge against a mare who has proved herself by far the greatest and most noble of warriors," As she spoke, she turned and started back up the stairs, seemingly focused on driving the point of her authority home. "Now, Lady Spitfire, will that be all?”

Spitfire looked towards Trixie, doing her best to hide her suspiciousness. Something was most definitely wrong. First, she had found out only now that Rainbow Dash had been banished for her actions. In hindsight, that was mostly expected, since Spitfire knew full well from rumors abounding that the rather thinly constructed treaty with Hekkerheim only needed the smallest spark to start a fire. But even then, it still felt strange.

“Lady Spitfire?” Trixie asked again, this time more insistent. Spitfire looked up at Trixie again, only now realizing that it had been a good thirty seconds since Trixie had asked her what she needed.

“Oh, um, well might I implore you to somehow find a way to return Rainbow to her proper place? Surely she has learned her lesson and is ready for her return?” she asked, taking a shot in the dark for her friend.

Trixie seemed to take pause at this, and her expression grew somewhat terse. “Oh Spitfire, you know I can’t do such a thing. Even with the power vested in me, I must keep the entirety of the Nine Realms’ safety at the forefront of my mind. As much as I would wish to return my sister to her proper place, I have prior commitments.”

“What sort of prior commitments?” Spitfire asked incredulously.

Trixie’s eyes narrowed slightly. “Spitfire, you must watch your tone. I might have forgiven you of what you’ve said against me, but that does not mean I’ve forgotten them. And if you must know, I have crafted a truce with the Changelings. As long as Rainbow remains in Equestria, all will be well. But if I were to go behind their backs and return her to her full stature, it would only provoke war, death and destruction upon both us and the other realms. You wouldn’t want to cause the deaths of millions for such a selfish reason as recovering your friend, would you?”

Spitfire gave Trixie a brief, confused expression, furrowing her brow. “Why would you broker a deal with the Changelings? They’ve proven to be a deceitful and treacherous lot only capable of betrayal. Why sacrifice Rainbow for what will most likely be a false peace that will be extinguished with the slightest blunder?”

Trixie clicked her tongue, sounding almost like a mother admonishing a child. “Spitfire, Spitfire, Spitfire. You are too fixated on war. Rest assured that I have planned for the eventuality if my peace treaty were to fail. Now, will that be all? Or have you any other requests?”

Spitfire paused. She might not have been a politically-minded pony like Trixie, but she was most certainly not a fool. Something was most definitely wrong. She couldn’t quite tell exactly what was wrong, but it was.

“Um… no… no, I do not,” she finally said, being sure to bow low. “I must thank you for your kindness towards me and my foolishness.” And with that, she turned to leave. As she exited the throne room, she turned down the hall, heading towards the personal chambers.

She had to tell her friends what had happened. She could sense something was wrong in the realm, and the sooner she was able to get down to wherever Rainbow Dash was, the better.

//////////////////////////////

Soarin gently pulled the freshly baked pie out of the oven, eyeing the golden crust and letting his nose fill with the scents of cinnamon and nutmeg and of course the apple, truly it will be a test of his great warrior’s will to not dive in right away but wait for everything to set and cool. As he looked around his private kitchen, eyes scanning for the perfect place to cool this wonderful, precious pie of his own making. There he saw it, near the kitchen’s entrance, a grand cooling spot if he ever saw one. Just a few seconds’ trot and the pie will be safe, he thought with delight.

As he was nearing the chosen spot, his door suddenly burst open hitting him square in the side, causing him to yelp and sending the poor defenceless treat toppling to the floor. He could only watch in horror as the pie and its ceramic dish shattered into a thousand pieces, the contents of the pie smearing along the floor.

“Soarin, I must speak with you!” came the voice from the pony by his door. Soarin barely noticed it. All he could do was stare at the remains of what might have been the greatest thing he ever cooked, it took all the strength he could muster in order to not break down and weep like a child.

Spitfire meanwhile, was confused as to why Soarin was staring at the mess like it was a dead friend. “Um… Soarin, I apologize. I didn’t know you were busy, but I must speak with you, it’s of the utmost importance.” she said apologetically.

“And what could be more important then perfecting my art?” Soarin whimpered, now sitting on his knees and trying to scoop the remains of the pie into a pile.

“Art? Soarin, you treat that pie as if it were a painting.”

“I am a cook, Spitfire! Food is my art!” Soaring moaned. “So again I must ask you, what is so important?”

“It seems that Trixie has concocted some plan that has made her All-Mother in Celestia’s stead, and somehow also brokered a peace treaty of all things with the Changelings. On top of that, she says that everything is hinged on Celestia remaining in The Slumber and Rainbow remaining banished. It doesn’t sit right with me…” she said. Soarin raised an eyebrow.

“Why doesn’t it sit right with you?” he asked, his tone changing to one of concern. Spitfire shrugged.

“I can’t rightly tell. All I know is that it feels wrong. As if she somehow knew this would all happen and is using it as an opportunity to further her own goals.”

Soarin stood up, putting a hoof on her shoulder. “Spitfire, are you certain? Are you sure this isn’t just your own dislike for Trixie playing tricks on you?”

Spitfire nodded. “I know for certain something is amiss. Everything is just too coincidental to be left to chance, Soarin. I mean think about it. She told the guards about our mission to Hekkerheim, and then, as soon as Celestia conveniently falls into The Slumber, she seizes control. All in the space of two days. If I were to be banished, wouldn’t it seem strange to see Flitter or Cloudchaser trying to usurp my position without so much as a week’s pause?”

Soarin seemed to be in thought, carefully milling over Spitfire’s words. “Have you told Cloudchaser and Flitter about this?” he asked. Spitfire nodded. “And what did they say?”

“They agreed with me. And you know that Cloudchaser isn’t one to chase after flights of fancy. If she agrees, it’s usually because it makes perfect sense to her.”

Soarin sighed. “Alright, then, Spitfire. I really do hope that you are correct. Where are Flitter and Cloudchaser anyways?”

“On their way to the Bifrost, Flitter said she’d devise some reason for Luna to allow us passage to Equestria.” Spitfire answered.

Soarin nodded. “Then we have no time to lose. Let us fly.” And with that, the pair started towards the Bridge, leaving the shattered remains of Soarin’s pie behind.

//////////////////////////////

Soarin and Spitfire landed at the entrance of the Bifrost, where Flitter and Cloudchaser stood, with Flitter speaking with Luna.

“Flitter Stormwalker, as much as I would be normally willing to grant thee passage, you know full well that I am sworn to obey the All-Mother, whomever it might be.”

Flitter nodded. “Yes Sentinel, but you must grant me and my companions passage,” she insisted, while Cloudchaser stood behind her, looking noticeably dour. Spitfire was quick to walk up to Luna, while Soarin followed close behind.

“Allow me, Flitter,” she said, and Flitter sighed, stepping aside to allow Spitfire more room. Spitfire nodded and looked up towards Luna.

“Sentinel, please, listen to us. We know full well that this is a troubled time, but even you, all-seeing keeper of the Bifrost must see how strange things have been since the day before last. First Rainbow is banished, then your sister falls into The Slumber without informing anypony and lastly, Trixie instantly takes the throne. Does that not make you feel ill at ease?”

Luna looked down at Spitfire, her deep blue eyes staring directly into Spitfire’s golden ones.

“Lady Spitfire, I must ask you this. Is the true reason for your insistence based on distrust for my niece?” Spitfire shook her head.

“I swear no,” she said, her voice somber. “I swear that this has nothing to do with our distaste for each other.”

Luna tipped her head slightly. “Granted Lady Spitfire, even if you were to have the noblest of causes coming here today, you know full well that I cannot open the way. I am bound by my most sacred oath to the All-Mother.”

Spitfire felt her hope plummet at the sound of this. “Oh. I see.”

Luna nodded. “However…”

Spitfire looked up quizzically. “However what?” she asked, and she could have sworn that she caught the normally impassive Luna looked vaguely worried.

“I fear deeply for Trixie and her health. She has been behaving most erratically since your return from Hekkerheim, and I fear that the throne suits her ill,” Luna then leaned down, and looked Spitfire dead on. “As The Sentinel, I have sworn to protect the All-Mother, whomever it may be. And I feel it is in Trixie’s best interest to recover Rainbow Dash as soon as it is possible. And if this be the only method for that, then so be it.”

Spitfire blinked. “Are you allowing us passage?”

Luna nodded, and stood back up to her full height. “Verily so. But you must be quick, for I feel that the burden of leadership might soon crush her like a millstone around her neck.” as she spoke, she turned towards the Bifrost, beckoning for Spitfire, Soarin, Flitter and Cloudchaser to follow her into the observatory. Without saying a word, she plunged her sword into its socket and the Bifrost roared to life.

“Now, make haste for I fear both for Trixie and the realms.”

With those words, Spitfire and the trio stepped into the Bifrost, and disappeared in a flash of light.

Author's Note:

Chapter title from the song "Lost for Words" by Pink Floyd

And here we are finally!

Only took a millenia. I blame Skype :trollestia:

Also, give a big hand to thevampman24 for being willing to become the other co-writer for this wonderful little story! He helped quite a bit on this chapter since my brain had basically turned into jell-o due to my work load lately. So go give him a big hand.

Also, for those of you who wonder about stuff like this:

The symbol that is stitched into Spitfire's bedspread is meant to be the symbol used by Jimmy Page, lead guitarist for Led Zeppelin for their fourth album, which simply had four symbols for each of the band mates.

Also, thats like what? The fifth Second or third song by Pink Floyd I've used in a row?

Oh and if you're wondering what the hell a thestrial is, they're the batponies, who are the dwarfs of my universe. The reason they look like bats is because they live and work deep underground, so they've developed several abilties to enable to see and hear in pitch black darkness. Also the runes that Sleipnir mentioned are because thestrials use runes in order to work magic (since they're no unicorn thestrials...)