• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 4,101 Views, 29 Comments

Forgive and Forget - Mr. Grimm



In the aftermath of her defeat, Trixie reconciles with Snips and Snails.

  • ...
2
 29
 4,101

Forgive and Forget

Trixie did not feel at all great and powerful as she slowly slunk back from the middle of the square. Rather, the mare felt an overwhelming sense of vulnerability as she hid herself from the crowds of Ponyville, finding refuge from the public eye in a small alleyway. Once in the shadows, the magician sat down, staring out at Twilight and her friends as they were surrounded by cheering ponies. Watching the praise and affection they received from the townsfolk stirred no envy in her. Her mind was still in shock, her thoughts reeling around in her head like particles in a snow globe.

Trixie was still trying to figure out what had happened. The unicorn gazed fixedly out at the ponies that had helped Twilight thwart her takeover of Ponyville. She saw now what had happened. The age spell was simulated with several different ponies, all made to look like the same two. The duplication spell had been done in almost the same manner, two pegasai made up to look like each other. Trixie’s face fell into a frown as the last few embers of her pride went out.

They had beaten her with stage magic, the one thing she was supposed to have been good at.

Trixie turned away from the town square, open-mouthed and silent as the grave as the mass of ponies behind her talked to one another. The mare didn’t hear them. She pressed her back against the wall, staring blankly ahead. The events that had transpired only minutes earlier played over and over in her mind. More power hadn’t changed anything. She had still ended up humiliated. But not by Twilight Sparkle.

Trixie closed her eyes, grimacing as she put her head in her hooves. Stupid. Loud and stupid. That was the only way she could describe herself as she remembered her defeat. She’d blundered right into that trap, never bothering to give any thought to the situation. Trixie had been so sure of herself, so confident in her abilities, that it had made her stupid. She could have denied Twilight entrance to the newly dubbed ‘Trixieville’ and avoided the whole situation. But she hadn’t.

Trixie looked back out to Twilight and her friends, all now latched together in a group hug. Watching the display of affection only made the magician compare her own behavior towards Twilight’s friends. She hadn’t been kind to them. At the time she had reasoned it was because they had aided in her humiliation with the Ursa incident. But now, upon retrospect, the unicorn remembered she hadn’t been kind to any of Ponyville’s citizens. As hard as she thought, Trixie couldn’t find a reason to justify her behavior.

A tear trickled down her face. Nothing. There was no reason for her to act like she did. Her lips parted to let a quiet sob out into the dark alley. She’d been cruel to everypony. She made them craft banners, statues, even a throne, when she could have easily made them with the power of the amulet. Trixie had flung ponies about, knocked pegasai out of the air, even taken away the power of speech. She remembered everything she had done that day, and with each thought she felt heavier and heavier.

The unicorn sniffled. She deserved the long, lonely years that would follow this defeat. News would spread of her deeds, just as last time. She wouldn’t be allowed anywhere near civilization. The Great and Powerful Trixie would never perform again.

“Trixie?…”

The magician looked up to see two unicorns standing just outside the alleyway; one tall and thin, the other short and stout. Trixie felt guilt take another stab at her heart as she looked at them. She had made them pull her about town in a wagon without wheels. The mare was amazed they were even speaking to her after all she’d put them through.

“Hey Trixie, what’re you doing back there?” said Snips. Trixie turned away from them.

“Hiding…” came the low, miserable voice from the shadows. A minute passed, and the two colts still remained. Snails tilted his head slightly.

“Why?”

“Because…I’m a bad pony.” The mare retreated farther into the alley, wishing that they would go away. But they didn’t. Instead they entered the alley and sat down across from her. The magician was again surprised when she didn’t see any hatred in their eyes. They only held the same enthusiastic respect they had always held when they looked upon her.

“Aw, don’t worry Trixie,” said Snails, “It’ll be alright.”

“This whole thing will blow over by tomorrow,” added Snips. Trixie stared at the two. She knew they weren’t very bright, but the unicorn had assumed they were at least smart enough to understand the magnitude of what she had done.

“I…don’t think it will,” she replied hoarsely.

“Of course it will,” said Snips, “It’ll be fine.”

“Like last time when we brought the Ursa to the town,” said Snails.

“Yeah,” continued Snips, “They were mad at us for a while, but they got over it.” The colts’ naïve smiles did little to comfort the magician. She had taken over and enslaved an entire town. Trixie doubted they would ever ‘get over it’.

“Snips, Snails,” she sighed, “You don’t understand. I’ve been horrible to everypony, and I…” Trixie could find no way to fully describe how rotten she’d been. It hurt to think about what she had done.

“It wasn’t all your fault,” said Snips, “Twilight said that amulet messed with your head.” Trixie’s ears perked up, and she stared wide-eyed at the pale blue colt.

“What?”

“She said it was corrupting you or something,” said Snails. Trixie’s face went blank as she considered this new aspect. If the amulet was corruptive, it might explain her horrid behavior towards the denizens of Ponyville. But rather than feeling relief that her cruelty might not have been all her fault, Trixie began to feel horror. How far would she have gone before she was stopped? How twisted would she have become?

“And you’re sorry, right?” Trixie blinked as she was snapped out of her trance, and looked back to the two colts.

“Of course I am,” she murmured, her expression pained, “I feel terrible.”

“Okay,” said Snails, “I forgive you.”

“So do I,” said Snips.

Trixie gawked at the two. She had figured that they harbored no ill feelings toward her the moment they’d began talking to her, but to hear them actually say that they forgave her…Trixie didn’t think it possible. She searched their faces for some trace of sarcasm, but could find none.

“Just like that?” she muttered once she found her voice again, “You…forgave me?”

“Yup,” said Snails.

“Yeah,” nodded Snips.

The cold, cloudy shame that filled Trixie gave way slightly to a peculiar warmness, one that seemed to emanate from her core. Her frown turned into a faint smile.

“Thank you…” Before she knew what she was doing, she had both of them in a hug. “Thank you both.” They staggered back as the mare released them, both looking stupidly dazed, but at the same time extremely happy. Snails muttered something about liking pudding. After a minute Snips cleared his throat and gave the magician a sheepish grin.

“Um…You’re, uh, welcome,” he said, “No problem. Um, say, do you wanna go with us to the celebration tonight?”

Trixie glanced out hesitantly at all the ponies in the square. She didn’t know if they were as forgiving as Snips and Snails.

But she wouldn’t know if she didn’t try. She looked back to Snips and smiled weakly.

“I…suppose so.”

Comments ( 29 )

Hmm... will read...

EDIT: I love a good Trixie story. I hope Trixie will come back sometime in future episodes, apologetically or otherwise... :pinkiehappy: Liked!

I came.

1733123 Achievement unlocked: Beat Regidar :rainbowdetermined2:

YAAAY! Well that was a nice break...

See, I really wish they had extended the apology scene a little bit. Maybe have Trixie write a letter to the Princess (she was right there, go up to her!) , something beyond five seconds with Twilight and running away.

That's kind of a problem with the show having only a limited time to cram everything in.

I love this. I'm going to watch it.
Great job! :D

1733303
This! I totally agree that it was rushed. What good is redemption if it all boils down to "Sure, we're cool now kthnxbai"?

This fits nicely.

It does stand to reason that she wouldn't leave town immediately

And 1733142?
...I saw! I kicked some ass! Today was a good day.

Nice. This would explain why she came back to apologize to Twilight. Though it wasn't the same night as this story. Liked and Fav'ed.

I normally feel obligated to post on any new "Trixie Redemption" story I see, considering what I'm known for.

*ahem*
Please, we all know that Trixie's still a self-centered jackass.

Let's see if Trixie can redeem herself. This is a topic I want to see more of. :twilightsmile:

She may be a self-centered jackass 1733434, but it looks like she wants to change..

Nice story. I wish the apology scene had gone on a little longer - having Trixie write the letter to Celestia would have been perfect.

1733434
Sure, that's why she apologized in the episode, right? :ajsmug:

It's a nice change to see things from this angle.
Most people thought she was punishing Snip and Snails for the Ursa thing throughout the whole episode, but the way she kept calling on them like Twilight did on her friends... I couldn't help but feel that Trixie had some sort of affection for them, twisted as though it was by her corruption. The transition between Trixie slinking away after her defeat and her apparently sincere apology is explained very well.

I liked the story. It fit in really wel as a side action to the story. My main issue I have with the episode is here Twilight finds out Trixie has a cursed magical item that, while yes only Trixie can remove, she can't think of any other way to do so other then poke at Trixie's pride and show her up. Not to mention how underhanded it is. How AJ would agree to it perplexes me. I thought she would have asked Celestia for some advice on how to stop the necklace. It would have taken what..less then a day? Sorry for the rant but it is just something that stuck out at me.

1733468 1733552

Uhh... a quick check in my story favorites tells me that neither of you know what I'm referencing. :twilightsheepish:

1734223
Uhhh... nope, haven't got a clue... but I see you wrote a story involving Trixie. So, if it is a reference to that... don't you think it's kinda lame to go to other people's stories and leave comments about how their interpretation of Trixie doesn't match up to yours? :rainbowderp:

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the situation and getting everything wrong, which I probably am :coolphoto:

dashie.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8695-1353937288429.gif

TRIXIE APPROVES!!!

1733303 I agree, That Episode should've been a two episode story. It had so much potential for it and more.

1733552 The last two Episodes were missing those Letters; Celestia and Luna would've loved to have read them.

Oooooooo trixie.....:twilightblush:
P.s. Maybe you can read my story called my day on ponyville

manly tears had shed

1734155
You raise an interesting question. Let's say they smuggled Spike through the forcefield instead of Fluttershy (assuming that was even possible) so he could send a letter to Celestia in Saddle Arabia, would that have changed anything? Personally, I doubt it.

Trixie was too drunk on her own power to listen to anything. If corruption'd been an issue she wouldn't have decided to wear the amulet in the first place. The only way to get her to take it off was to dangle more power in her face and let her ego get the best of her. I think Celestia (a big proponent of the power of friendship) would've told Twilight the same thing as Zecora; not to mention they were racing against the clock. Let's say they had waited for Celestia to answer, and Trixie decided to overthrow the princess while still wearing the amulet - I doubt anypony could've stopped her.

Yes it's underhanded, but what else could they do? Growing apples without peels doesn't exactly sound feasible either (which is what Trixie lastly demanded of AJ).

1738137

You bring up some good points but it is also hard to say what would have happened. I am in no way thinking that they smuggled out Spike. They got Fluttershy out and in. When i saw Twilight writitng out something I figured it was a letter to Tia not a let's use subterfuge to get the amulet. That being said I agree that Trixie was on a masive power high but to suggest she would go after the throne seems a bit out there at this point in time.

All in all we can speculate about coulds and shoulds all we want. The episode was good as was this story. Trixie has an ego but did learn enough that she was a bit more humble. I don't think we needed her falling at the end. Seriously she never seemed like a klutz at all. Oh well.

I love it! Trixie is a pony with feelings, which is only natural to have in a wreck after mental corruption. I like how these types of stories depict characters in their usual way, but still manage to give a different perspective. It's these acts of forgiveness, even if they come from the "least important characters", that can mark a life in a good way.

I salute you, my friend, and may friendship make of this world a better place.

That was so sweet! Great job on this man!:pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment