• Published 12th Jan 2012
  • 1,476 Views, 35 Comments

A Son Redeemed - FirstClassBroconut



An exiled son returns to find a burning Ponyville, and a thirst for vengence.

  • ...
3
 35
 1,476

A Foal And Its Mother

Snow Flake slowly opened her eyes and lifted her head. A small streak of light trespassed into the dark tent through its flaps, gently lighting the space. Her brain finally registered an oddity: Moonless Night was gone, but his cloak was still folded in the corner on the ground.

The mare sat up and groaned, her body stiff from the extreme stress of the night last. She then stood and tried not to think of Blizzard. Before she could fall down and cry, a breeze blew open the tent flap and she caught a glimpse of Night sitting a little ways from the tent, looking over Ponyville, his head bowed and shoulders slumped.

She walked out of the tent and went up to him. When Night heard someone draw near, he raised his head high and straightened his shoulders. The stallion turned and saw Snow walking up, looking as tired as his heart was heavy.

"Good morning. How do you feel?"

Snow Flake sat beside him and quickly kissed his cheek, "Better...thanks for staying with me. I really needed it..." She smiled as Night nodded and turned back to Ponyville. All of the fires had been put out but Ponyville had already sustained too much damage, only one or two buildings still stood tall and even those would need a good amount of repair.

Tears welled up in her eyes again as she saw piles of dead ponies being carted out of town and over to a large field filled with-

"Graves," Night said.

She sniffed, "I wonder if she's already buried." She hung her head when the unicorn placed a hoof over hers.

"She was this morning...but I talked with the princesses this morning, and they said we could hold a short memorial for her. We will hold it right before we set off to find Zecora."

She looked at him and smiled, "Thank you, Night...That means a lot to me." She sniffed again and rubbed her stomach as it growled, she then remembered they hadn't eaten since the day before at noon.

Night smiled, "I'll take you to the Mess Tent. You won't believe what they've got for lunch."

Snow Flake turned to him, confused.

He chuckled, "Vine and Honey soup! Since we are next to the Everfree Forest, the chef was itching to try the recipe."

They laughed the rest of the way to the Mess Tent.

=================================================================================================

After a good and satisfying lunch, the two ponies set off to retrieve Night's cloak before they went to the funeral. They walked silently through the busy camp when Snow took notice of three long, white scars along the left side of Night's stomach. She tried to imagine what happened until at last she built up the courage to ask, "How did you get those scars?"

Night looked at the scars, and scowled.

"I'm sorry..if you'd rather not talk about it then don't."

He sighed, "No, no...I was visiting a small village after a long day of stress at a job i had just been fired from. I went into the local pub and got more drunk than i should've...Next thing i know I'm beating a mare."

The stallion lowered his head and kept walking, "I was out of control and the guards were called...but before they got there, a local farmer stepped in for the mare. He had a pitch for and threatened me with it. I was to drunk for reason so i didn't stop. He swung his fork and sliced open my side. At that moment the guards arrived and took me away to patch me up and throw me in prison for a couple of weeks. When i was released, I went and apologized to the mare and gave her my money pouch. Ever since then, I refuse to drink anything besides water."

He raised his head again as they reached the tent. Snow watched him silently as she found it hard to believe such a kind stallion could ever do such a thing, but he doesn't drink now and he paid her so he's made his mistakes and righted them.

"Where did that come from?" asked the mare as Night reemerged from the tent wearing a black cloak.

The stallion shrugged, "Princess Luna thought this would be more suiting for the funeral and our mission. And before you ask, there was a letter sitting on top of it from her...shall we be off?"

Snow nodded and walked with Night as he led her to the burial site. But instead of heading to the open field, they headed into the Royal Princesses tent.

The alicorns sat on their thrones as the two ponies entered. Snow bowed as Night stood and thanked Luna for the new cloak.

"I also added all the extra features exactly as they were in your old cloak."

"Thank you, princess. I believe it's time...Snow Flake?"

The silvery-blue mare nodded again and watched, confused, as the horns of the Royal Sisters lit up and surrounded them. Instantly, everything flashed white and instead of being inside the tent...they were at the clearing next to her and Blizzard's hut!

Snow looked around, yup this is it! But why are we here? She got her answer as she looked across the stream that she and Night had sat by and talked just hours before. Implanted into the sand, was a large, stone tablet, something white was on the ground in front of it. She stepped over the stream and went for a look.

The white substance was snow! White, fluffy snow covered a large part of the sand which was large enough for-...a grave.
Snow swallowed hard as she read an inscription on the tablet,

Luíonn anseo Blizzard,
grá deirfiúr agus cara,
faoi an sneachta is foirfe Equestria.

She read it again and again as Moonless Night and the princesses walked up. Night stood next to her and read, "Here rests Blizzard, beloved sister and friend, under the purest snow of Equestria."

Snow choked as Celestia placed a large, warm wing over her. She bent down to whisper in her ear, "That snow will always stay there, even past the end of time. That is our gift to you for not being there to save her."

Snow looked into her eyes as a tear ran down her cheek, she nodded and sniffed. The alicorns stepped back and Night sat down in front of the grave, "I have always been on the road and so never experienced death till now. I can not say i know how you feel, i can't say it'll be alright because i don't know for sure and i can't make all the pain go away...but i can be there for you whenever you need me, no matter the circumstance or inconvenience. I will always be here." With that he stood and head across the stream where the princesses were and sat beside them, watching Snow as she sat down and talked with her sister.

Suddenly, the sun was gone, Night looked up and saw a massive rain cloud blocking it out. Others followed and soon the sky was all dark and gray. Night turned to the royalty beside him. Luna shrugged, "There wasn't supposed to be rain today."

Celestia closed her eyes and smiled, "While you were gone, sissy...I made a discovery beyond others. That Equestria itself can act on it's own free will at times...many times i have seen strange things i like to call miracles. And often...it is the weather that acts on it's own accord..."

A rain drop fell and hit Night on the snout and Celestia continued, "Equestria is crying."

Snow Flake fell to her stomach as rain started to fall upon her and the trio. She cried for her sister and her parents. Wept for all the times they had together, and all the times they won't. She cried for the world, how it is filled with pain and sadness. She cried for all the pain that will come. She cried for everything, but herself.

As the rain increased, Night felt a tear roll down his wet face. More followed as he though of his dead...mother and friends. I will avenge you. If it the last thing my body does in this world. He let the tears flow as he stood strong in the rain, he tried to hide it, but he knew the princesses saw. He also noticed them crying.

The rain hit the sand with a light thud, sounded like the tap of a hoof to a slow song. The stallion closed his eyes and swayed to it. Eventually he opened his mouth and sang silently,

"An cuimhin leat an grá
Crá croí an ghrá
Níl anois ach ceol na h-oíche
Táim sioraí i ngrá
Leannáin le smál
Leannáin le smál
Lig leis agus beidh leat
Lig leis agus beidh grá

Cuimhne leat an t-am
Nuair a bhí tú sásta
An cuimhne leat an t-am
Nuair a bhí tú ag gáire"

He then heard the princesses join in with their singsong voices. The trio sang silently, once in a while being interrupted by chokes or sniffs.

"Tá an saol iontach
Má chreideann tú ann
Tug aghaidi ar an saol is
sonas sioraí inár measc

Céard a tharla do na laethanta sin
Céard a tharla do na h-oícheanta sin
An cuimhin leat an t-am
Nuair a bhí tú faol bhrón

An cuimhin leat an t-am
Go sioraí sileadh na ndeor
an ormsa nó orainne a bhí an locht"

As they reached the last verse, a new voice joined in, not Snow Flake who was quielty crying in front of Blizzard's grave, but a deep and rhythmic mare's voice. Moonless Night turned his head as another cloaked pony walked up and sat beside him, her hood was up, but he could see flashing green eyes in the dark of the hood. He turned his head back to the grave and continued singing.

"Ag mothú caiite s'ar fán
Cén fáth an t-achrann is sileadh na ndeor
Tá áilleacht sa saol Má chuardaíonn tú e
Tá gliondar sa saol
Creideann sé"

Once they the small choir finished singing, they stood and headed back to the hut, leaving Snow by her sister's grave. They slipped a little climbing the small hill from the mud, but eventually they reached the hut which they entered to get out of the rain.

Once inside, Night, Luna and Celestia turned on the stranger. Night being the first to speak, "Who are you?"

The pony lowered her hood, a mess of black and white striped mane fell out. Night stared at her, she was a young zebra with bright green eyes. She had golden rings around her neck and in her ears along with one in her eyebrow.

"My name is Hemshela, daughter of Zecora."

Hemshela bowed low to the royal princesses and smiled, "Hail great Luna and Celestia, queens of Equestria."

They bowed back, shook her head, "I was not aware that Zecora had any offspring. But it is glad news, indeed. We would very much like to know though, why have you come?"

Hemshela smiled again, "Simple requests are easier yet, when filled with welcome and not hate. I bring the news that Zecora was slain by a dragon, who's reasons i could not name. But before she died she told me this, find Moonless Night and and lead him to dawn's light. Though i do not rhyme like my mother, she gave to me her power; so that i may lead Night into his journey tonight."

The zebra turned her head to Night, who bowed his head, "I am sorry for your loss Hemshela. I also know that a zebra's power does not lie in rhythm but tradition, so do not be sorry for the lack of your mother's words."

The alicorns bowed as well, Luna let a tear fall, "After my release from Nightmare Moon, i spent many nights with your mother...she was a wonderful mare and an even more amazing alchemist and story teller."

The all smiled while Hemshela laughed, "Yes yes i know, but now is no time to morn. Where is the mare? She must be present before knowledge is shared..."

"I will go and retrieve her," with a flash, Celestia teleported to the bank to fetch Snow Flake.

A few silent moments went by when finally the missing pair walked in through the door. Snow was shivering from the cold and soaked to the bone. Moonless Night quickly threw his cloak over her as she smiled, her eyes red again.

Hemshela nodded, "Now we can begin. I won't try to rhyme so it is easier to understand. Vilis Malum is a dark unicorn indeed. And certainly you all know only another element will bring around his downfall."

The group nodded as they sat down and prepared for the zebra to continue.

"Lucent Dawn is the only New Bearer who truly remains, since Vilis fell to evil. He must be found and brought back to fight against Vilis."

Luna spoke up, "Where should they start their search?"

Hemshela smiled, "I haven't the slightest idea, your majesty. But I will get to that in a moment...Lucent Dawn is being held captive, by his own past. He is ashamed of his past sins. Only one pony can help him find forgiveness...himself. You two will help him, along with one other pony."

Night and Snow Flake were confused, who? But before they could ask, the zebra turned to the alicrons, "If you two could lend me your magic, it would make the spell a lot easier."

They looked at each other and finally nodded, their horns glowing.

Hemshela drew a book from under her cloak and opened it on the ground, Night noticed arcane symbols and letters belong to dead languages written within it's pages. Hemshela nodded to the sisters and they flowed their magic into her, making her glow as she started chanting in a language that hadn't been heard in centuries. She spoke faster as more magic was put into her and she lifted off the ground, her eyes glowing white.

Moonless Night stared at the scene unfolding, a million questions in his head, just like Snow Flake's mind.

Red arcane lines formed on the floor and a blood curdling scream burst from no where as the lines blazed into magic fire. The fire surrounded Night as he quickly stood and Snow dashed away, her eyes wide with fear.

The flames were warm and licked at his coat, but no harm came to him. It felt like his soul was being stolen as he stood in the flames. Like he was being drained of energy each time a flame touched his skin.

Finally, Hemshela screamed and fell to the ground, the flames faded and disappeared as quickly as they had appeared. The stallion was more confused then ever as he looked around the room.

Hemshela raised her head and gulped for air. She puked and whispered, "I...did it...mother.." Her head dropped into Luna's hoof who made sure she was a live.

Snow turned to Snow Flake who was wearing an extreme look of confusion and seemed to be on the verge of crying. He turned to the princesses who smiled and nodded, "The spell worked." Luna pointed a hoof behind Night.

He turned and before him stood a purple unicorn. Twilight Sparkle.