• Published 2nd Dec 2012
  • 19,631 Views, 726 Comments

Hybrids - Blarghalt



After an accident, Rarity and Twilight are thrown in a race against time to stop their transformation into changelings before they become part of Chrysalis' swarm forever.

  • ...
58
 726
 19,631

Stage 7: Manifestation

Gold Plum ran through the gambit of shock and anger with searing as half-formed words tumbled out of his mouth."What?" was all he managed to blurt out after a minute of garbled nonsense.

"Should I tell him, or should you?" Down Low said to the pegasus guard across from him.

"Well," Cross started, "it goes something like this: Princess didn't show up for court, I come to her room to investigate. She wasn't there, and neither was Luna."

"What about the guard at the door?"

"Didn't hear a thing. When he asked what was wrong I just told him that the Princess was ill and she did not want visitors.

"Then what?"

"He didn't believe me."

"So what'd you do?"

"I went and got Steel Sword and Down Low. Then Steel Sword blanked his memory and sent him off, and we got Mirror Mirror to guard the door."

"And why, WHY wasn't I told!?"

"Because you'd react like this. Look, we're not gonna erase your memory even though Mirror Mirror wanted us to. Just don't tell anypony else."

Gold Plum considered his words. When he entered service, he had sworn an oath to defend Equestria against every possible threat, and uphold the noble values of justice, honor, and loyalty; there was no mention of honesty. "Fine. What happened?"

"Best we can tell," Steel Sword said, "Their Majesties did not go quietly."

"Yeah, since it looks like there's been a tornado through here!"

"Actually, most of that is us. We've been tearing this place up and down looking for clues."

A thought dawned on Gold Plum. "Wait a minute! If Celestia and Luna are gone, why are the sun and moon still goin'?"

Cross sighed. "Show him the scroll?"

The muscle-strewn unicorn nodded. "Show him the scroll."

"Scroll? What scroll?"

Cross produced a large scroll with Celestia's wax seal. "Meant for the top three officers only. If we find Celestia, don't tell her we showed this to you."

He pressed the bottom right of the parchment with his hoof, and a haze poured out of it. It soon materialized into a vaguely green-colored mist with the unmistakable image of Celestia at her coffee table. She looked directly at the while she held a cup of hot tea; the fireplace roared in the background.

Gold Plum's questions had to wait as the recorded message of Celestia began to talk. "Greetings, commander. If you are watching this, then I have become injured, incapacitated, and generally unable to fill my obligations as the raiser of the sun and moon."

"Sun and moon?" Gold Plum asked Steel Sword.

"This scroll's over a hundred years old. Shining Armor gave it to me when he left for the Empire."

Celestia sipped her tea and continued. "In the event of my absence, both the sun and the moon will continue on their normal paths for a time I estimate to be about a week, barring intervention by magic. Commander, it is up to you to either find me or marshal enough ponies to raise the sun and moon by week's end."

Celestia saluted the viewer and the vision faded. The scroll had returned back to its normal, blank state.

"And that's all there is." Cross stated. "We opened it once before during the Nightmare Crisis, but the Elements sorted that out before we had to do anything."

"You gathered the Elements?" asked Gold Plum.

"Well, that's problem number two."

"Huh?"

"We can't get a hold of Twilight, her assistant, or Rarity. Far as we can figure, they disappeared around the same time as the princesses."

"Well, great. Now what?"

"Well, figuring out where the royals went would be a start."

Steel Sword stepped in. "Nobody outside this room besides Mirror Mirror knows about this, Gold Plum. We will not have a panic on our hooves."

"Wait, you didn't even tell the Elements?"

"Ugh. Don’t you read the security memos? The Elements are useless until we find Twilight and Rarity!"

"Wait. Twilight and Rarity are the ones missin'?"

"If you were listening, yes!" shouted Mirror Mirror on the other side of the door.

"They're the ones who caused that fire in the library."

"Wasn't that an accident?" Down Low asked.

"More or less. They left right after it happened."

"That don't help at all." Steel Sword grunted.

"Hey, just tellin' you what I know. Does this scroll say anything else?" Gold Plum said, and walked up to the levitated parchment and began to poke it.

Cross walked over to swat his foreleg away, "Don't mess with that! Besides, we've messed with it every which way and it hasn't even—"

Gold Plum hit a section of the scroll that made it glow in a golden light, and all the ponies in the room were sent to the floor as a blast of magic erupted from it. Mirror Mirror rushed into to check on them, only to find her comrades lying on the floor. The scroll itself still floated in the air, and displayed another record of Celestia. It even had a timestamp; a timestamp of the very same date the princesses were estimated to have disappeared.

In a rare moment, both Celestia and Luna were together in the room, talking and enjoying the company of one another. The balcony was visible in the recording as well, and it was well into the night.

"What's this?" Gold Plum asked.

Steel Sword scratched his head. "I...dunno. Shining Armor never mentioned it. Looks like some kind of scrying record."

All the guards and the room held their collective breath; a horrible and familiar form uncamouflaged itself from behind the princesses. Queen Chrysalis moved with an unnatural grace behind the two sisters, and if they were anyone else she would have surely been detected. While still behind them, her horn glowed as a strange glyph emerged out of her horn, and embedded itself on the wall behind the royals.

Steel Sword made a growling sound. His face was even craggier than usual when he spoke to the rest. “Sound-muffling spell.”

Chrysalis crept up behind the two princesses as she prepared to smash their heads together and send them to unconsciousness. Right before struck, Luna caught a glance of the queen in the smooth white porcelain of her cup. She grabbed her sister right as she had brought up her cup, and Chrysalis’ swipe caught nothing but air.

A silent brawl broke out as Chrysalis threw stealth to the wind and launched a green stream of magic at Luna. It her in the side and tossed her across the room. The moon princess quickly recovered as Celestia launched her own stream of power before Chrysalis could bring her own horn to bear. At the last second, Chrysalis managed to put up a barrier and Luna joined her sister in an assault queen’s shield, their backs to the balcony with Chrysalis slowly being pushed towards the fireplace.

Things seemed grim for the foul queen, but as the very edge of her barrier was licked by the flames, she smirked. A pony of the night guard had flown in, brandishing a balcony chair. He wasted no time and brought it over the heads of both princesses, breaking their concentration. The magical streams ceased, and the queen blasted Celestia and Luna while they were stunned.

The changeling queen dropped her barrier and walked over to the two defeated princesses. She nodded approvingly at her work, and he pointed at her minion to take Luna while she grabbed Celestia. When the false bat-pony had his captor safely in his grasp a green sphere enveloped all four, shrinking in size before disappearing in a wink. And just like that, it was over. The glyph on the wall slowly faded, and sounds of the fireplace and winds on the balcony returned.

Steel Sword stomped a hoof. "This is bad."

"You think?" Mirror Mirror venomously replied.

Down Low would have told Mirror Mirror to shut up at this point, but he was busy with the realization that his own night watch had been infiltrated.

"Belay that, soldier. Now that we know that time is really against us. Down Low, shape up and take twenty of your best soldiers tonight to find Celestia. Cross, you do the same in an hour."

"What about me and Mirror Mirror?"

"You two guard keep guarding this room. If anyone asks, Celestia and Luna are sick and under quarantine."

"Nopony's going to buy that." Mirror Mirror objected.

"Shut it. I'll brief Cross and Down Low's soldiers on the situation in a bit. If this gets out, Canterlot'll catch on fire, so keep it quiet!"

This wasn't enough for Mirror Mirror, though. She walked up to the scroll and poked it some more in hopes another recording would appear. "Plum! How did you get this thing to work?"

When she pressed it directly in the middle, the video of the empty room began to become scrambled and events of Celestia and Luna's kidnapping began to play in reverse, at high speed.

Cross chuckled. "Looks like Mirror Mirror found the ‘back’ on it. Hey, stop it before it goes back too far."

Mirror Mirror jammed the parchment several times with her forelimbs; by the time she pressed it in just a way to send it back into 'play', the video had already gone back several months. What came into view was Celestia in her room, looking down on its one other occupant: Gold Plum.

Celestia's gaze was a mix of disappointment and concern as she looked down on the guard. "And you had no idea the attack was coming?"

"None." the past Gold Plum replied. "I was just as surprised as you were when that barrier came crashin' down."

Gold Plum went pale as he realized what this was a recording of; it was just his luck that the Mirror Mirror would find a way to stop on this moment. His past self looked up at the princess. "I know I should have told you sooner. I'll leave Canterlot tomorrow." he said, his head held low as he began to turn around.

"That won't be necessary."

Past Gold Plum turned around. "Huh?"

"Gold Plum, you have served me faithfully for years. At any time during the attack you could have sided with the swarm and spelled certain doom for this country, but from all accounts you fought just as bravely as any other pony."

"So...?"

"You can stay, Gold Plum. With my blessing. I have only one request, though."

"Yes, your highness?"

"What do you truly look like?"

Present Gold Plum continued to fumble with the door to escape as he heard the telltale flash of a transforming changeling from the recording behind him. He flinched at the sound and glanced over his shoulder to see Celestia looking down on him in his true form. The other guards stared at the scene with dumbfounded gapes.

They stared it it for a while before they glanced back at the Gold Plum attempting to escape, and then back to the changeling Gold Plum that talked to Celestia. This went on for a few more times before Mirror Mirror pointed a hoof at Gold Plum and yelled.

"CAPSULE!"

Cross shook his head. "What?"

"You know, Capsule? The official military designation of changeling hostiles?"

"When did we start doing that?"

At last Gold Plum managed to pry the door open and slam it behind him as the guards bickered. He ran down the right side of the hall; the door he had just slammed was blasted straight off its hinges by Steel Sword's magic, and the guards that had just seconds ago been Gold Plum's brother-in-arms emerged from the smoke.

Steel Sword frowned as when he looked to his left and right and saw no sign of his target. "Cross, I want this whole city shut down. Nothing gets in or out. Down Low, get that search party ready like I asked you to. Mirror Mirror, you're with me; let's squish this traitor."

Mirror Mirror cracked her neck. "We're going to need bigger boots, sir."


The entire ground rumbled under Zecora and Applebloom. An explosion had ripped through one of the royal towers, and dark smoke billowed out of it as a gold streak plummeted down from the tower. Several other of the cityfolk gasped and pointed toward the smoke, and did not notice Gold Plum when he ran up to Zecora and Applebloom and threw them onto his back.

"Were you raised by a hound? Put me down!" Zecora demanded.

"In a second!"

The zebra looked up to see their problem consisted of about half the military force of Canterlot. She kicked Gold Plum in the sides. "Go faster!"

"Hey," Applebloom said, "That didn't rhyme!"

Zecora's annoyed reply was cut short as Mirror Mirror appeared from an alleyway in front of them and Gold Plum crashed into him, sending all three of them scattered down the street. They quickly regrouped but at almost every turn they found themselves blocked by either Mirror Mirror or the large frame of Steel Sword.

After they ran into another set of guards, Gold Plum realized some trickery was in order. He made a hard left into another alleyway, and a bright green flash engulfed him as he took the form of Mirror Mirror. The changeling sat down Zecora and Applebloom and instructed them to hide; the guards shuffled in a moment later.

"They went that-a way!" the fake Mirror Mirror exclaimed, and the guards followed the imposter's pointed hoof. When they were gone, Gold Plum told the filly and Zebra to grab onto his back once more, and he stealthily galloped towards the edge of the city. When they were at the edge, he glanced over the side of the mountain with demented purpose.

Applebloom quivered. "Wait a minute, you're not gonnaAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Gold Plum jumped off the side of the capital city. As he approached terminal velocity and the ground below rapidly grew in size, he reverted back to his changeling form and his insect-like wings beat with a loud hum, which slowed their descent enough to cushion their landing. Zecora was still clutched onto Gold for dear life when they slowly touched the dirt.

Applebloom had a different opinion of their fall. "That was awesome! Can we do it again?"

Gold looked up to see the skies of Canterlot were still swarmed with pegasi and night guards. From the looks of it, none of them had seen his little stunt. "I don't think I'll be going back to Canterlot anytime soon."

He tried to pry the zebra's hooves off his ribcage; Zecora got the hint. The zebra let go and hit the ground before she quickly regained her stoic and mysterious composure.

With his eyes still fixed on the mountain above them, Gold Plum talked. "I hate to say this, but I think that little adventure you asked me for will have to wait."

"Aw. Why?"

"The princesses, both of them, along with Twilight and Rarity are missing. Some...things happened back there, and now the whole city knows I'm a changeling, but I'm still loyal to Equestria! Until we find the royals or the missing Elements, well, I'm sorry about your friends."

Zecora smiled. "While you may curse this incidence, you must know this is a most fortunate coincidence."

"Speak Equestrian, lady!"

"The ponies we seek to cure are the very same ponies you seek to find, to be sure."

Appleblom butted in. "She's sayin' that Rarity and Twilight are the sick ponies."

"What."

"Turnin' into changelings and everything. Don't you remember?"

Gold Plum sat down and switched back his normal pony form. "Hmmm. This changes things. What I'm really curious about is how they're turning into changelings in the first place. And I don't want to hear the answer in rhyme!"

"Zecora's been saying that Rarity and Twilight somehow got all... transmogrified, and it's takin' them over."

Gold Plum considered her words. The last time he saw the two unicorns, they had...

"The wing!" he exclaimed.

"The wha?"

"Twilight and her annoyin' friend poked around where they shouldn't have and knocked down a wall. Turns out some room got sealed up and forgotten about during some reconstruction a real long time ago, and there was an old changeling wing in there."

"And?"

"I—and I'm just speculating here—but I think Twilight winked herself right next to that changeling wing. Maybe they combined with it somehow?"

Applebloom scratched her head. "That makes sense, I guess. So now what?"

"You two wanted me to help you find some ingredients to cure this, right? I can still take you to 'em, if you want."

Zecora nodded, and told him of the first ingredient they required: a rare flower. The changeling thought for a moment before his instinct kicked in to tell him where to go; he led his two new companions as they began searching for a cure.


Twilight woke to the sound of a large crack. She rubbed her eyes and blinked, thinking it was just the old cottage's planks against the wind and remains of the harsh storm. Another crack rang out, with the same dry sound and close proximity of the first; it was no cottage. She stirred herself to a more wakeful state and glanced over at Rarity, who was peacefully sleeping next to the fireplace, her wings peacefully—

Wait. Wings?

Twilight carefully lifted the covers of of herself, slowly walking over to her friend to get a better look. It appeared that Rarity's condition has accelerated during the night, as she had sprouted two wings like Twilight's and dark black cracks had appeared all around her fur. The unicorn froze as Rarity's eyes opened to reveal two orbs of grey, no longer the pure blue of a changeling's but with a fully-formed iris and pupil.

"What?" Rarity asked flatly, and stood up. "What do I look like?"

"Oh, it's...nothing!" Twilight assured her, and at that moment Spike chose to wake up.

He yawned and sat to scratch his rump. "Oh, morning Twilight. Morning RaaaAAAGH!"

"What's the matter with me!?" she screamed before she saw her cracked skin, then looked over her back to witness her newly-sprouted wings. "Ahhhh! We've gotta get to the place now!"

"The place?"

Rarity paused her panicking as she mulled over her choice of words. "I...I know we have to go somewhere to fix this. I just can't remember where."

Twilight sighed. "The Crystal Empire, Rarity? It's really really important we get there."

Rarity stood there for a moment. "...Why are we going to the Crystal Empire again?"

Spike frowned. "Rarity? Are you feeling okay?"

Rarity looked down upon the small dragon with bewilderment, and her eyes briefly lit up with clarity and she slapped herself and shook her head. "We're going to the Crystal Empire to fix our changelingification! Twilight! What happened to me?"

"You did sleep in front of the fire. Maybe heat speeds up the process?"

Peewee seemed to disagree as he cawed from the fireplace and flew out of it. His flight kicked up soot and dust from the previous night's fire, and one of the particles drifted past Rarity's nose. She began to breathe lightly; unable to hold it in, she sneezed so loudly that the entire cabin shook, and the cracks around her fur expanded and her fur evaporated.

She rubbed her nose gingerly, unaware that she now looked like a changeling in almost every way. The hair on her head and tail remained, but now was riddled with holes. Her chest likewise had taken on an insectoid appearance, and was just like the colored carapaces of other changelings. Hers, however, was a dull grey.

She recovered from her sneeze to notice Spike and Twilight's paralyzed looks. "What now?" she asked. Neither answered, but Peewee was kind enough to pull out an old mirror from a chest and grab onto it with his claws. He flapped with great gusto as he flew over to hold the heavy thing in front of her. She took one glance at her reflection, and gently pushed Peewee's mirror out of the way.

"Twilight? Spike? You might want to cover your ears."

Rarity began to take a huge gulp of air as Twilight plugged her ears with her hooves and Spike climbed up on the bed and began to rip cotton out of one of the pillows and stuff them against the side of his head. Peewee flew over and helped himself to some of the same stuffing, and they were only halfway done when Rarity let loose a scream from the pits of Tartarus. The windows shattered instantly, Twilight's teeth chattered, and Spike had to hold onto his vibrating tail.

After the scream had carried for miles, she finished. Twilight cautiously removed one hoof from her ear, only to find that Rarity's scream had cracked off the rest of her fur off as well. Like Rarity, her shell was black and shiny with a purple chitinous abdomen.

"Finished?" Twilight asked with a scowl.

Rarity seemed to consider her question. "Yes." she answered, and fainted to the floor with a clunk.

Spike removed the padding on his head as Twilight rushed over to aid her friend. "She's gotten good at that."


It took three buckets of water to wake Rarity back up. When she finally came to with a yelp, she saw Spike and a changeling standing over her, and prepared another scream before remembering her predicament.

"Twilight?" she asked fearfully.

"I know. We don't have much longer."

"I still think you look fine." Spike said with a dreamy gaze, which prompted a chagrined grimace from Rarity. Another heart appeared over his head, and he didn't even look away when he grabbed and chunked it behind him.

"Spike. We went over this."

"We better get going," Twilight said, and opnened the door to the cabin. "We may look like changelings, but we're still sane. For now."

"We can't just wander into the Crystal Empire looking like this! They'll lock us up and throw us in some filthy dungeon!"

Twilight paused. She hadn't even considered that. "Crystal Empire's a priority, Rarity! Besides, we can do this!"

The former unicorn's black horn glowed with a green aura as a flame enveloped her entire body. In an instant Twilight looked like her old self again. "It worked!"

Spike (and Peewee) seemed much less enthusiastic about Twilight's transformation. "You sure you should be doing that?"

"Oh, Spike, of course I do! We can get all the way to the Empire, and not cause widespread panic!"

"How did you do that?" Rarity asked.

"Just concentrate of a pony you've seen before, and the horn does the rest."

Rarity mumbled, closing her eyes and concentrating on her own fabulous self. Her horn glowed as well, and she felt a brief flash of heat. Like Twilight, she had transformed back to her old self, and she almost began to cry with joy and she looked down on her own normal—if fake—hooves. She lifted her head up to see Twilight already headed out the door, and called after her.

"Twilight! Wait a minute!"

Her friend ignored her call, the unicorn's eyes fixed firmly ahead.

"Twilight? Where are you going?"

"Out."

"Now wait just a minute! Spike! Tell Twilight to stop!"

Spike was way ahead of her; he had already grabbed her foreleg in an attempt to slow her down. "Twilight! You're acting weird!"

"I'm not weird." Twilight grumbled. "I'm...hungry."