• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 17,018 Views, 1,039 Comments

The Traveling Tutor and the Librarian - Georg



Twilight believes the new unicorn magic school teacher is a pretentious royal jerk. Green Grass thinks the town’s librarian is an interfering, arrogant brat. Can they teach each other differently before somepony gets killed, or worse, married

  • ...
38
 1,039
 17,018

PreviousChapters Next
Ch. 19 - Failed Experimentation

The Traveling Tutor and the Librarian
Failed Experimentation


Caught by surprise at the sudden intrusion into his tiny home, Green Grass blurted out, “I hope the two of you are very happy and have a very happy life?” His words tasted vaguely bitter for some reason, as if he had bitten into the side of a tin can and grated his teeth across the metal.

“Not that kind of proposal, silly.” Twilight waved a sheet of paper vigorously as if it were supposed to explain her thoughts, which to her, it probably did. “I believe I have a solution to the problem I created when I cleaned up your mess… thesis, that is. But first,” Twilight leaned forward and grinned maniacally, looking him straight in the eyes with a scorchingly intense expression. “Tell me more about my eyes.”

“They’re bloodshot,” blurted out Green Grass, wincing until he realized Twilight had started giggling uncontrollably. “They’re kind of a beautiful bloodshot though,” he stated tentatively as if she were going to explode any moment. “You’re delirious from overwork, aren’t you?”

“Yes!” She hopped around the room, giddy with joy and oblivious to the close quarters of the wagon that simply made it seem as if she were dancing the Watusi in a phone booth with the green stallion. “I wanna do it! I wanna do it tonight! I know it will work, I just know it. It’s a little messy, but I think you’ll just love the end results! Please?!”

“Well, I— “

“Please!”

“Wouldn’t it be better if— “

Please?!”

* * *

Outside the wagon, Mrs. Cake hesitated with one hoof raised to knock on the door. She had hoped to catch Twilight Sparkle tonight before she had slipped into that stallion’s clutches, but had been just a little slow. Now the noises coming from inside the shaking wagon illustrated the depths of his depravity; not only had he ‘experimented’ on sweet little Pinkie Pie this afternoon, but now he was going to do it all over again with one of Pinkie’s best friends. She turned on her heel in disgust before walking back to Sugarcube Corner at a brisk trot, picking up to a gallop when the last ‘Please?!’ drifted back to her ears. There would be other times to confront the dishonorable stallion and his lascivious ways while informing Twilight of his deceit. A shudder traveled up her flank at the unmuffled cry of feminine joy that emerged from the wagon, and she set her jaw in a determined fashion.

Taking advantage of that young impressionable mare, how dare he? And Pinkie Pie too, that took the cake!

* * *

“Okay, okay, okay. You’ve got this Twilight. Just keep it together, and it’ll be a snap. Can you stand over there, out of the way, please? I’m not sure how the reverse entropy from the spell will affect living tissue. It won’t turn you into a baby or anything, well, not all of you. Maybe parts. Or age them, I’m not certain. Yes, that’s far enough back. Are you sure you can see from there?”

“I’m pretty sure,” said Green Grass from the extreme far edge of the ramp, with the beginnings of his own euphoria-induced grin. “You may proceed, Frau Doktor Sparkle⁽*⁾.”
(*) The title actually belonged to Twilight’s great, great grandmother, the inventor of the self-igniting torch, a must for any group storming a castle owned by a mad inventor.

The unicorn lit her horn with an amazingly creepy evil cackle and purple light began to spill out of the wagon into the darkness under the library tree. “For Science!”

* * *

The two of them lay in the middle of the wagon amidst a chaotic mess of papers and toppled books, with an exhausted Twilight weeping piteously into Green Grass’ shoulder. Hours had passed since the first attempt at her un-sorting spell had failed, and repeated attempts only seemed to drive the chaos into more disorder. As Twilight descended down the steps of sanity, Green Grass stayed close for moral support, even to the point where he had quietly retrieved the fire bucket⁽¹⁾ and stood by her side, just in case.
(1) Scrubbed and refilled with clean water, not recycled beer.

There was something in his own gut that twitched each time Twilight sobbed and hiccupped into her green pillow. Even in defeat she was undefeated, scheming out her failures through the tears and planning her next assault on the problem between hiccups. In some way, he understood the reason Twilight Sparkle had been the focal point in the fight against Nightmare Moon, for if he had been an evil goddess bent on revenge, the cute purple unicorn would have been the last opponent he would ever have wanted to face. Or maybe Pinkie Pie. It would have been a difficult decision: death by magic or death by cake.

“You should get home.” It really needed to be said, but whenever the words began to rise in his throat, she would sniff, or bury her nose deeper into his neck. Tracks from wet tears streaked both her mane and his in long rivulets; even despite his best efforts he had some small contribution to the dampness. Her tears eventually dried and the sniffing ceased as her breathing steadied, one thin purple leg thrown over his body as if to prevent his escape. The feeling of her tense body relaxing against his should have encouraged a number of very stallion-like thoughts. Or perhaps they did, but were obscured by other thoughts more powerful.

What have I gotten myself into?

* * *

The morning bird choir gently fluttered to their designated positions on top of the tutor’s wagon, each taking their spot according to their tone and melodic line. The muffled chirps of tuning woke Green Grass from a fitful sleep, and he gently placed a hoof on either side of Twilight’s ears to guard against the opening notes, just in case.

A light melody began to swell outside as Twilight Sparkle shook her head, first looking up with her eyes still closed, then down, then waking up with a giant tremor that shook her entire body.

“Eeep! Oh, it’s you. Sorry, didn’t mean to wake you.” Twilight scratched at one ear frantically with her face all squinched up. “Tickles.”

“Sorry.” Green Grass gestured at the wagon roof. “Our morning opera has returned.”

“La Trotiata. Sempre Libera, I think. Did you... did we sleep out here all night?”

“Again. I must be comfortable, all soft and poofy like a big pillow.” He puffed out his cheeks and gave her a wide-eyed stare, earning a cute giggle from Twilight as well as a sharp poke in the ribs.

“Behave. I’m only here because I fell asleep. Besides, we fit well together. And yes, you are nice and fluffy.” She prodded him in the ribs a few times, eliciting a number of squeaks and futile protests. “Besides, I was drunk. Haven’t you done anything you regretted later while drunk?”

“Me doth believe the lady prevaricates poorly, having neither wine nor beer to betray her will, but only fatigue at the temporary failure of her endeavor. Besides, I’ve been drunk. I know drunk. I was drunk the night before last when one of your brother’s ‘friends’ took me out drinking at Berry’s bar. I vaguely remember climbing on a table and shouting, ‘A toast! To the female of whatever species. May they ever remain inscrutable.’ At least I think I said inscrutable. From the reaction of the rest of the bar it might have been something that sounded quite similar, but meant something completely different. And quite humorous. If you want me to go in reverse chronological order, this could take a while.”

Twilight cuddled back up, prodding Green Grass with a hoof as if she were fluffing a giggling pillow. “I’ve got time. Time?” She sat up abruptly and looked at the clock. “Oh, no! Spike has probably been up for—”

Green Grass bopped her gently on the nose. “He dropped by, peeked in the door and left. I only saw because I didn’t sleep too well.” The tutor dug around in the mattress and heaved a thick book out onto the floor. “That’s better. Didn’t want to wake you.”

The book lay on the floor, absorbing the glare of the frustrated unicorn uncaringly. “I know why the spell didn’t work, it doesn’t have anything to grab onto, like a crystal to solidify around or a key in a lock. When I de-chaos-ed your wagon, I ordered the whole thing, like a magnet. I’ll get it though, I know I can.” She punched his shoulder just a little too hard before laying her head down; it was obvious she was forcing the motion even as her magnificent mind chewed viciously on the problem like Spike on a ruby. There was a constant twitch that telegraphed up his neck while she thought, her head darting slightly from side to side as if she were reading with closed eyes. The faint rumbling from his own slightly overstuffed tummy was echoed by her own. Given what he had seen so far, it was unlikely that Twilight had even paused for food since early yesterday. Despite how comfortable he felt at the moment, there was a principle at stake here: A true gentlecolt buys breakfast.

“Twilight. Hey!” She jumped when he nudged her, giving him a distracted glare in return. “Your problem will wait until you get fed. I’m buying breakfast for the both of us, how do you like your eggs?”

“Unfertilized,” she responded quickly, shooting him a sideways glance as he spluttered for air. “Did I get that right? That’s what it said in 1001 Zingers and Put-Downs, but I never did quite understand it.”

Unable to respond, Green Grass was only able to pound one hoof against the mattress and gasp for breath. Fortunately for him, Twilight was distracted by the nearby sound of Spike answering the library door, just a few yards away from his wagon.

“Why, hello! What an unexpected surprise,” said Spike, sounding not just surprised, but a little panicked. “Twilight’s not here right now!”

Unfortunately for Green Grass, he recognized the next voice.

“Good morning to you too, Spike,” responded a polite alto voice with just a hint of aristocratic accent. “We were just on our way to Fillydelphia for a family visit and thought we would drop by to see our darling daughter for a few hours between trains.”

PreviousChapters Next