• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 45,703 Views, 516 Comments

Bitterness - PLCTheCd



Twilight Sparkle show resentment towards her friends and family at the wedding.

  • ...
69
 516
 45,703

A New Friend?

A New Friend?

Twilight stared in shock to see who the older mare from Canterlot again, the young mare rubbed her eyes with her one hoof to see if her mind was playing tricks on her. As Twilight opened her eyes again to see the old mare standing right in front of her.

“Something in your eye?” The Older Mare asked with a smile, “I too thought my mind is being addled from my old age.”

“H-how did you reach Ponyville on time?” Twilight sputtered out in confusion, “The long lines from the train station could’ve taken all day.”

“Princess Luna made things easier for us ponies to run things so smoothly,” The Canterlot mare replied, “I was most fortunate enough to reach the final seat to Ponyville.”

“Oh,” The younger unicorn mustered out, after some thinking, it makes sense to Twilight that the lines would go more smoothly with Princess Luna running the train station. But there is still another nagging question, well, two. The first question is that her visitor mentions to the librarian that old age is getting to her, but the mare from Canterlot is about the same age as her mother. The second question is her reason for visiting Ponyville. On what felt like over an hour of self-debating in Twilight’s mind, only seconds went by as she decided to ask the latter question with more tact. Anti-aging spells and ointments are all in a rage and considering how rude it is to ask a mare her age, Twilight believes this is a better choice.

“What brings you here to Ponyville?” Twilight asked, before adding, “If you don’t mind me asking that is.”

“Oh, not at all dear,” The older mare replied chucking, “My grandchildren are into Daring Do books, and I am looking for some new editions up for sale.”

“Oh, I believe I just got a new shipment but I’m afraid I only have one copy, and I don’t have any spares to sell.” Twilight said regretfully before another thought entered her mind, “Besides, this is only a library, not a bookstore. I'm fairly sure that Canterlot have many more bookstores than Ponyville.”

“They do, but they are sadly much out of my price range,” The mare from Canterlot explained, “I assumed a town like Ponyville would be more affordable.”

“That does seem reasonable to think that way.” Twilight nodded understandingly, “At first, I didn’t care about Ponyville first because I grew up in Canterlot myself, but the cheaper prices are one of the reasons that grew on to me.”

That sounds lovely dear, but I can’t just go back to Canterlot empty-hoofed,” The older mare said dejectedly, “Is there possibly a toy store nearby?”

“Hmmm,” The librarian thought aloud, “There is one nearby but if your grandfoal really wants the new edition, I can give it to you for about half the price the Canterlot bookstores are offering for you.”

The older mare’s ears perked up and her expression changed from disappointment to a pleasant surprise.

“For real?” The older mare asked excitedly, “I mean, I understand that this is a library, but what if the others wanted the book? Are you certain?”

Twilight shrugs before saying, “I can simply order a new shipment, saying that the package got damaged or something.”

“Thank you so much Miss” She pauses before asking, “I'm sorry my dear, but I never asked you your name,”

“My name is Twilight Sparkle,” Twilight introduced herself, “What about yours?”

“Oh, where are my manners?” The older mare said, before clearing her throat “You may call me Sagely Advice.”

“A pleasure to meet you Sagely Advice.” The young librarian said with a smile, a smile that she haven’t felt in a while. “Just how much are the books in Canterlot anyway to make a trip to Ponyville?”

“The last store I visited costed about twenty bits, plus the owner have the nerve to add fees.” Sagely Advice answered with a disgruntled snort. “Such greedy behavior nowadays.”

“Well, I hope only ten bits will be more of a fair price.” Twilight said empathetically, as she too thought to herself that twenty bits for a Daring Do book is exorbitant. A beginner’s spell book for school or a guidebook but certainly not for Daring Do.

“Ten bits is more than fair,” Sagely Advice said with a smile as she levitates ten coins out of her saddlebag and hands them to Twilight. “I now have enough money to rest before getting a trip back home. “

“Well, I wish you the safest trip home Sagely Advice,” Twilight said accepting the bits with her magic, “I hope that your grandfoal would love the new book, speaking of which, just wait for one minute.”

Twilight Sparkle went inside the library and gazed around her surroundings before finding the new Daring Do book that was just sitting on the table. The young unicorn set the coins down next to the book, picked up the said book with her magic and went out the door where she finds Sagely Advice still standing patiently.

“Here you go!” Twilight Sparkle said handing the book to her, “I hope this is the book your grandfoal is looking for.”

“Absolutely!” Sagely Advice cried out happily, accepting the book gratefully. “I appreciate this book and I hope my grandfoal would appreciate the same!”

The older mare turned around and waves Twilight Sparkle goodbye as she said, “I hope that everyone you know appreciates everything you do.”

Twilight’s smile nearly dropped but kept her composure, she almost forgot about her traumatic events back at Canterlot. How her brother, friends, and mentor left her, no doubt thanks to her own actions. The unicorn shook her thoughts out and hopes to see that Sagely Advice does not notice her change in attitude. Thankfully, not only is the older mare still there but she did not notice her sudden, albeit brief change in expression. She then waves back to Sagely Advice as she walks away from her sight into the crowd of ponies.

Twilight Sparkle closed the door with content and walked away to her table to count the bits which thankfully are still there. For it’s not unheard-of shady ponies who counterfeit coins with magic of illusion. But Twilight Sparkle doubts that a sweet unicorn like Sagely Advice could be devious, she has no reason to trick her nor want anything that valuable to steal. It is only a Daring Do book after all, and she got what she wanted for. Then again, nopony back at Canterlot has any reason to doubt the changeling queen when she masquerades as Princess Cadence. Shining Armor at least has an excuse to be mind controlled by her.

The unicorn shakes her head from side to side to escape the thoughts of doubt. She grabs the book about the dangers of grudges earlier then she hears the voice in her head.

Are you sure you can trust her?

“Yes, I am sure,” Twilight said, “I think I made a new friend.”

Author's Note:

Just what Twilight is been doing back at Ponyville. The reason why I took so long to update was because my original idea was simply Twilight to run away as everyone searches for her. However, when some readers criticized that I made Twilight too unlikable is when I discovered I messed up on that part. So, I literally have to start the story from scratch and I admit I made up as I go in some chapters. In the meantime, this year I will try to post more than one chapter by New Year's Eve. Better late than to cancel