• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 4,267 Views, 277 Comments

Once Upon a December - FlimFlamBros.



Rarity must save her love in the frozen wasteland that is Hellfire's underworld

  • ...
12
 277
 4,267

When Hell Froze Over

“So you picked the dragon? That’s hardly a surprise.”

The white mare turned around in shock. The flaming demon that had caused all of this was standing right behind her. Unlike Rarity, Hellfire hadn’t changed a bit. His mane was still a wildfire, his coat was still the devil’s red, and his eyes burned with a yellow inferno.

The unicorn did her best to be brave. “So I made my choice, you sick mule, now give me my Spiky back!”

“I thought I made this clear a year ago,” he hissed. “I am giving you the chance to save him. You have to play my game, remember?”

“Right, the game…” she groaned, looking back at the tombstone. “What do I have to do? Cut my eyes out? Take another life? Pleasure you?”

“All great ideas,” he muttered, “but not what I have in store for you, lovely.”

“Then what is it?” she asked, growing impatient. “All I want is for this nightmare to be over.”

“Then shut up and listen,” he shushed, as he brushed Rarity aside, and stood at the foot of the grave. “The game you will play is simple: find the dragon, and you can go home together.”

“That’s it?” she asked. “It can’t be that simple.”

“Nothing ever is,” he said. “Now, shall we begin?”

The mare nodded her head. Hellfire stepped on the rose, crushing the buds and petals into the snowy ground. The ground started to shake around them as Spike’s tombstone split in two. The rest of the ground tore apart as well, chunks of dirt falling down as the very earth was split in half. From the new hole formed a staircase that leads into nothing but darkness.

Rarity looked down into the abyss, unable to see the bottom. “You want me to go down there?”

“Indeed I do,” the fire stallion said. “When you go down these steps, you will enter a world very different from the one you know here. My world.”

“Your world?”

“Yes, my world. A world shaped after my own heart, a world of ice…”

“Ice?” the confused mare asked. “But, you seem to be a being that would prefer fire.”

“So would one have you believe,” he muttered. “Even I find it quite hellish.”

“It suits you well, I would think.”

“Like I care,” he muttered. “All I desire is for you to play the game. You are to enter my world. When you do, you will find the dragon with me in Isis, the city of ice. When you find the dragon, you two will be together again, and you can save him.”

“So, I enter your world, find Spike, and then we’re done with this filthy business?”

“That is correct.”

Rarity looked down the dark hole, letting out a deep breath. Harnessing the courage that was left in her heart, she took her first step into the darkness.

“Wait!” Hellfire barked, placing a hoof on the white mare’s shoulder her. “You’ll need this if you wish to survive down there.” He reached into the snow, pulling out a lone stick that was buried in the banks.

“A stick?” she groaned, “How will a stick help me?”

“Not just a stick,” he whispered, “rather a way to hold the one thing you will need down there.”

“I fear I don’t follow,” she admitted, scratching her mane.

Suddenly the tip of the stick burst into a light blue flame, making the mare jump a little in fright. He handed her the flaming stick. “This flame represents your hope, and as long as you have hope, you will be just fine down there. However, stray from the flame’s glow or let it be extinguished, and you will die.”

She took the stick, watching the sparks fly from it. “Why would you give me this?” she asked. “I would have thought you’d want me to lose.”

“I do,” he admitted. “Now, it’s time to stop stalling. You have a dragon to save.”

He vanished in a burst of fire, leaving nothing but a puddle of melted snow where he once stood.

“Such a murderous monster,” she grunted to herself. She looked down the dark abyss and the stairs that lead down them. The stench of misery and pain lingered in the air, as she took the first step down the stairs.

Step by step she descended, soon sinking into the darkness, the only light being from her blue flames of hope. It was difficult to see, and the staircase seemed to keep going. How long had she been walking down the steps, five minutes? Ten minutes? An hour? An eternity? This place had no concept of time and no way to keep it, yet the white mare continued down into the darkness.

“Oh, I forgot to mention something to you earlier,” a voice called from the darkness, echoing through the tunnel, “I have taken the liberty of making the game a little more, how can I put this…interesting.”

“What have you done?” asked Rarity, calling randomly into the shadows.

“I have alerted the dragon that you are coming to save him, he seems quite happy to see you again,” he said.“I have also alerted your friends, the pink, purple, blue, orange and yellow one that you have decided to forsaken them to my hell.”

“I didn’t forsake them! You’re only letting me save one! Did you tell them that?!”

“Must have slipped my mind… Regardless, they aren’t too happy to hear that, I would say that a few of them are quite angry of your choice. So I decided to make them an offer as well.”

“An offer? What offer?”

“I have given them a chance at salvation through the fires of morality. A quid pro quo as the saying goes…”

“An quid pro quo?”

“Indeed, little pony. Hellish creatures roam these plains; disfigured and tormented, but the worst of them all are the ones that you once knew. Now run along, some of your friends are dying to see you!”

The voice disappeared with a cackle.

“Cold hearted bastard,” she said. What did he mean by ‘quid pro quo’? It did not matter at the moment; she had a task at hoof and no time to solve riddles. She continued down the mind-numbing darkness.

When suddenly, there was a light. Or rather, not so much as a light but rather a glimpse of colour in the black. A faint glow of icy blue was being emitted from a statue, an icy statue of a dragon, sitting in the darkness. As Rarity approached the glowing statue, she noticed two things.

The first was that it wasn’t a statue of a dragon, it was a dragon! A dragon, frozen in place in a thin layer of ice, as if some cruel soul froze him on the spot. The second thing she noticed was a rusty brass gate behind the frozen drake. The ancient gate was similar to the barriers guarding a cemetery, or an old haunted manor. The thin metal bars were like a prison, either to keep the souls trapped within or unwanted guests out.

“And who would this pony be that approaches my presence?”

Rarity jumped at the sound of a new voice. It too came from nowhere, but it sounded closer, and unlike Hellfire’s voice, it sounded wise, old, and caring.

“Do not fear little one,” the voice echoed. “I wish you no harm.”

“Who said that?” called out Rarity, wielding her torch high, trying to find the speaker. “I’ve had enough of voices in the darkness. Show yourself!”

“Then you need to only look into my eyes,” he said softly. “Turn around, so I may see you, little one.”

Confused, she turned around. There was nopony or anything there, only the frozen dragon…

“Impossible,” she mumbled. “I must be going mad.”

“Not yet, but you must learn to accept the idea that very mad things exist,” the voice said. “And that a dragon can live in a frozen tomb for centuries.”

“Centuries?” the mare asked. “You poor thing, how did Hellfire trap you here?”

“It is because I have done no wrong, Mistress,” the frozen dragon said. “If anything, I have been punished for no other reason than to protect the one I love.”

“How so, frozen dragon?” she asked.

“Please, call me Frostbite, the Glacier dragon,” the drake said.

“Frostbite,” the unicorn corrected, “how did you meet this fate, and did the one you love survive?”

“They did,” Frostbite said, his tone becoming drearier. “There was a pony, a terrible demon that came to my settlement in the Southern Tundra of the Badlands. I’ll never forget him, coat of ebony, eye of red, teeth like a beast, and his laughter...” He gave a little sigh. “That terrible, terrible, laughter. I can still hear the evil and cruelty of his insane cackles.”

“That sounds awful,” consoled the white mare. “If it is too painful, you don’t have to continue.”

“If you wouldn’t mind,” he sighed. “So what brings you here? Have you been cursed, killed, or a fate much worse?”

“I fear it may be the latter,” she admitted. “Hellfire has given me the chance to save one of my friends, and I must enter his world to do so.”

“I see,” muttered the frozen dragon. “May I ask what that torch is that you carry? I find it most peculiar.”

“It is the flames of hope,” Rarity whispered. “It’s to keep me safe when I go down into his world.”

“The world of ice, I know it well.”

“You do?” she asked.

“Yes, and if I may be so bold to offer my assistance to you, milady?”

Rarity was baffled by the offer presented to her. “Umm, I fear that we have a problem. You are frozen solid, and I have neither the tools or the strength to free you.”

“That is okay, my body died long ago, only my spirit survives now. I am trapped in this icy prison, but if there were to be the smallest crack in the ice, I may be able to slip my soul through and offer you my assistance as your guide.”

The snow white mare thought about this offer. She did not know where she was going, or what she was to expect to face, and Frostbite seemed like a kind dragon, a lot like the one she loved. But she couldn’t shake the fact that something was up, something sinister. Still, she would have to take that chance, for Spike.

“Hold still,” she said, as she reared back with her torch, and took a swing at the dragon. The fires of hope clashed and chipped away at the ice as she took another swing, and another, and another…

“That’s enough!” he said, as the sweating and panting mare slumped down on her rump, physically exhausted.

“Can you get through?” Rarity panted.

“I already did.”

Turning around, the pony saw the ghost of a dragon, a spectre of pale blue. He had the same traits as Spikes but instead of spines and fins on his face, he had horns that stuck out at the back of his head. His face was also heavily aged, with deep inclines in the gaps of his scales.

“It is so good to be free, Mistress,” he said, stretching out in his new spirit body. “Even the form of a shade is bliss compared to that frozen corpse.”

“I am glad I could help. Now, for your part of the deal.”

“Of course,” he said as he floated right through her, giving Rarity chills. “I shall accompany you and give out my advice, but in this form, I will be less than useless should we find ourselves in a physical confrontation.”

“I hope that it won’t happen,” she said. “Now, shall we press on?”

“As you wish,” he said as he clapped his claws, his body starting to glow powerful with light. The gate was now more visible, visible enough to see that there was a message formed in the bars of the gate.

“Abandon hope, ye who enters here!” read Rarity, looking at her flame. “Never.”

The gates slowly opened, a draft blowing through and chilling the mare as the two unlikely companions walked through the gates and into the darkness.

“By the way, I never got your name, Mistress,” Frostbite said, looking down at the cloaked mare.

“It’s Rarity.”

“Well Miss Rarity” he said, as he started to light up the darkness around them. “Allow me to be the first to regrettably welcome you to Hell.”