• Published 30th Nov 2012
  • 10,103 Views, 239 Comments

Spike's Centennial - CinnamonFritter



Spike the Dragon receives a letter on his 100th birthday, a letter from his past, leading to more...

  • ...
11
 239
 10,103

Spike's Centennial

Sugarcube Corner had gone through its share of remodels, including a total reconstruction after one dragon birthday went wrong. The latest remodel had saw fit to expand the door, to allow the town’s resident dragon safer access to sweets. When Spike nudged the door open, the lights were off inside.

They turned on suddenly. “Surprise!” The party space was filled with ponies. A banner towards the back declared: “Happy Centennial!”

Spike smiled, looking around at all the ponies he recognized. There was Pumpkin Pie, who ran Sugarcube Corner with Pinkie’s help, after taking one of Pinkie’s cousins for a husband. Mud Pie stood alongside his wife, smiling up at the resident dragon. Their children, Blackberry and Raspberry, were fast becoming the life force behind the bakery, doing most of the work as the owners got older.

Then there was Lancer, the heir to a social and fashion empire. Now aging himself, he visited Ponyville only on special occasions. Spike last saw him at Sweetie’s interment. He had with him his own daughter, Sparkler, who reminded Spike of her grandmother.

Nurse Kindheart was there, along with her brother Butterscotch and her daughter Posey. Spike hadn’t had reason to see the Nurse since the passing.

Gravenstein stood nearby, a vision of his father’s strength even at his extended age. He named his daughter after his aunt, and she looked just like her namesake, except her eyes were blue. His cousins had moved away to work other Apple Family farms across Equestria, even found new ones. They were likely too busy to have made it to a birthday party.

Rainbow Dash had never had children, but Scootaloo had. Her daughter Firefly was getting on in years, but she still was one of the best flight coaches Cloudsdale had ever seen. Her son had passed a few years prior, but his sons were here, named for their grandfather and great uncle.

Spike sniffled softly. Just seeing ponies that were his friends brought back that dull ache of loss.

One by one, the ponies came over to Spike, and before he knew what was happening, he was all wrapped up in pony hugs, all over him. He curled his wings, and eased them around every pony. “Thank you all…”

Pinkie broke the hug first, smiling, “Time for cake, Spikey-wikey.”

Spike looked up, as a few other ponies slipped away, to reveal the largest cupcake he’d ever seen. He oohed, “Sapphire… so that recipe’s still around…”

Pinkie grinned, “Of course. And for everypony who can’t eat gemstones, we have another cake.” She gestured, and Raspberry wheeled in a sheet cake. Spike oohed at the decoration. Thousands of tiny dots of colored frosting formed a picture from a distance, of Spike standing in front of the library.

Spike carefully made his way to his special cake, and chuckled when PeeWee alighted atop it, holding a wooden dowel decorated like a candle. “Oh, so that’s where you’ve been today.”

PeeWee crooned and winked, standing atop the dowel like a candle’s flame.

“Yes, yes, we know you’re adorable.” Spike laughed, and then blew gently, causing PeeWee to lose balance and have to take off.

The ponies around the room clopped their hooves in applause, and cake began to be served out to the party guests. PeeWee settled down on one of Spike’s tail spines, preening himself now that his role had been played out.

“Hello, Spike.”

Spike turned his head. There, standing regally in a simple black dress, stood Princess Cadance. She had worn black ever since her consort, Prince Shining Armor, passed.

“Cadance? How can you be here? I thought your duties, in the Crystal Empire…” Spike started.

“Diplomatic missions are easily brought up, especially for an occasion you can see coming.” The Crystal Princess smiled. “I will be visiting my aunts before I head back to the Empire. But I wanted to see how my brother-in-law was doing.”

Spike looked to her, and over her, before asking, “How do you deal with it? Before the Empire, you aged like normal ponies, but now you’re like Celestia and Luna.”

Cadance sighed softly. “I love. I never stop loving. The world has so much to love in it, why would anyone choose not to?”

Spike nodded. “The sun glows, the moon shines, you love.”

“Isn’t that phrase ‘the sun shines, the moon glows’?” Cadance raised a brow.

“The sun doesn’t shine, it radiates light. Shine is albedo, or reflection—” Spike stopped himself. Cadance was grinning.

“Sorry… but I wanted to see that bit of Twilight left behind in you.” The Princess nodded, satisfied.

“I’m afraid it’s not the best bit of her.” Spike sighed.

“Cheer up. Have some cake.” Cadance gestured with a wing.

Spike looked at the sapphire cake, and held in a smirk, “Won’t get offended over me eating crystals?”

The Crystal Princess laughed. “Crystals are a bit a bundle. We can’t stop them from growing even if we wanted to. Feel free to chomp away.”

Spike picked up the oversized cupcake in his claws. It was proportioned the same as that first sapphire cupcake was, all those years ago. The main difference in his perception was that the sapphires were so much smaller now. Spike began to eat his cake, taking his time, savoring the mixture of flavors. The frosting was sweet, and in it hid the jagged edges of the cut gemstones, prodding at his tongue and cheeks until his powerful teeth ground them down.

He swallowed and sighed softly, taking his time. After all, he had all the time in the world.

Comments ( 169 )

Damnit, eyes watering, lump in my throat and finding hard to speak. Well done. It is truely a emotional story. Keep up the good work.

Oh god the feels. Poor Spike.
The curse of immortality; you defy death, death defies you.

How is it that even when I know what I'm getting into with these sorts of stories, the 'feels' manage to blindside me every time?

This was great. :twilightsmile:

Right in the feels! :raritydespair:

I can never get enough of these kind of stories, good stuff!

Great story. Excellent! :pinkiehappy:

There is no escape from the feels. I mean damn that just.... Right into them man.. How can people write this I would short out the keyboard before getting halfway done.:fluttercry:

1714898
I write with my keyboard at least one foot forward from under my eyes at all times.
Laying in bed with head on pillow, sniffling into the fabric while barely looking at my laptop screen to make sure my typing is remaining in the home row.

:raritydespair: Why do I keep reading these sad stories :raritycry:
It just makes me sad.... :fluttercry:
And Spike will have to deal with the passing of Pinkie Pie soon now :fluttershysad:

Captain's log
stardate 11/30/12
must escape from swarm of feels
lose feels by going through asteroid field
1713802 must force Regidar to
watch all of the episodes of
Honey Boo Boo
because in space
no one can hear you scream :pinkiecrazy:

Beautiful. I'm glad you decided to finish on a happy note.

1715128
I imagine Pinkie Pie will be one of those ponies that holds on for a long time, like Granny Smith did.
She'll get to give Spike plenty more birthday hugs before she has to report to Twilight.

Beautifully written.

1715317 Nope. Nice try, you get a mustache :moustache:

Too much :fluttercry: for one story.

So many tears!:raritycry:

You took all my feels:raritydespair:

I'm pissed.
I'm feeling something..
I really don't like this feeling....
Why won't it go away?

Holy cow... I haven't cried at a story since reading the first "Statistics". Immensely long life is truly accursed...

Epic is all I can say.

I'm at a loss for words now...

This is one of those stories that makes you think about life and the people in it. How much do they mean to you? How far will you go to be there for them? How will you go on if they pass on before you? Can you go on if you continue living long after they pass on? What about all those around them who were just as close?

Seriously deep stuff here. Now I gotta go sit on the edge of my bed deep in thought about all the little things in life...

1715946
Technically it's 6 bite sized text blocks.

Complete with indented paragraphs. Standard formatting is double spaced, too.

You know, it's funny how it's always the short stories that get you right in the feels. This and Statistics are the only two stories in the fandom that actually made me well up. Only one story has actually made me cry. http://www.fimfiction.net/story/10883/A-Rose-Reverie

Oh, also, great job here, author. :twilightsmile:

1716066
Technology will progress yes, but there no reason to believe it will develop at the rate you have shown. Nor in the areas that it has progressed. Arcades and floats are social things, so they make sense. But motobikes... and personal video games? Considering how social ponies are irl and in the show. I don't see them being developed for long, or being all that popular.

So... who is who? :rainbowhuh:

Did NOT manage to figure out the names and the connections of all the ponies. Well too vague.

Then there was the entire 'feels' that everyone is clamoring about...

Bull. Shit.

This chapter stimulated as much emotion as watching paint dry!

For a story like this to be feautered... urg... its sickening. Such a great concept, such a solid idea... utterly destroyed by its horrible, horrible writing. Why can't people see that?!

... Sorry to hate a bit instead of criticize, but honestly... its so dull I find it hard to criticize on anything

1715726 The feeling is boring its way into your brain! It wants to take over like those brain worm things from Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan!

USE A POWERDRILL AND GET IT OUT FAST BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!! :pinkiegasp:

1716149
You're free to your opinion.

Pumpkin Pie: Pumpkin Cake after her marriage to a member of the Pie family: Mud Pie.
Blackberry and Raspberry Pie: Twin children of Mud and Pumpkin. In Ponyville they're known as the Razzleberry Twins.
Lancer: Son of Rarity and an unspecified stallion.
Sparkler: Daughter of Lancer, named for a G1 Pony
Firefly: Daughter of Scootaloo, named for a G1 Pony
Gravenstein: Son of Big Macintosh, named for Gravenstein apples.
Nurse Kindheart: Daughter of Fluttershy.
Posey: Nurse Kindheart's daughter, named for a G1 Pony
Butterscotch: Son of Fluttershy, named for fandom r63 version of Fluttershy.

Any Questions?

1716331
Would of been nice to see this in the story itself so there is no confusion to take away from the emotion.

And a space between each paragraph, its a small thing but makes it a lot easier to read.

1716369
The identity of the ponies at the party are able to be inferred from the text if you don't find the story so boring you can't be bothered to pay attention.

You are the only one to complain about the formatting. Perhaps it is you who has the problem.

1716418
... I payed attention. When I read something, I pay attention to what I'm reading, even if it fails to engage my interest. The identity of most if not all of the ponies can be figured out, but their names very hard to figure out unless simply said so. Which several of them weren't. If someone offer's criticizem, don't insult them and tell them they are wrong.

I doubt it. Have a space/line between each paragraph is standard formatting online, and pretty standard elsewhere too. It takes almost no time to do, and it makes stories a lot easier to read. Also, you might notice that the greatest FiMfiction - My Little Dashie, Fallout: Equestira, Past Sins, hell, even Cupcakes all have that format. I mean, sure its a really simple thing. But I think its says a great deal about the format, don't you?

Oh and another word of advice. Try to SHOW what your trying to get across instead of simply TELLING us what your trying to get across. Show, not tell. Not all the time mind you, but needs to be done a lot more.

1713802 so you're saying that nebula there knows that feel? Amazing.

1716645
Intergalactic feels. They exist. :fluttercry:

reading this with Derpidity and Radiarc playing in the background. theres no way to stop the tears man. great work :fluttercry:

1713802 A universe of feels for this story.

meh

first atory to make me even start to tear up... and i read allot of these type of stories.. bravo:fluttershyouch:

And then Pinkie died of old age. :fluttercry:

That was a great story. I teared up. Wish we could have seen the rest of those scrolls but oh well. Still a great story.

I tried writing a sadfic and I found that as I was writing it I couldnt do it to them. I just couldnt weild my keys like an assassins dagger. My own charecters the things I call my children yes I can kill them and make them hurt but never could I do that to the Ponies. I just couldnt do that to them :applecry:

1717045
One of my favorite fics is It Takes a Villiage, so I've always liked stuff with Spike growing up.

Then my grandmother died. Writing this helped me work through that.

I am always filled with joy when a Spike fiction gets featured! Good job for supporting Spike! He definitely deserves all the recognition, my friend! :) I'll be sure to give this a read! :)

Login or register to comment