• Published 30th Nov 2012
  • 26,059 Views, 5,397 Comments

Into the Black: A Mare's Tale - shirotora



Twilight is flung into the farthest reaches of the galaxy

  • ...
117
 5,397
 26,059

PreviousChapters Next
Into the Black Magic: A Lich's Tale

Into the Black Magic: A Lich's Tale

Darkness...

Silence...

Cold...

These were the only things Twilight Sparkle was aware of. As she floated in the void, she was left with nothing but her thoughts.

What happened?

Where am I?

How did I get here?

As she pondered these thoughts, she recalled her last memories before she found herself in this place.

She remembered confronting Xander.

She remembered the scuffle, and the dark portal.

She remembered Xander losing his grip and hurtling through the air, falling into his own trap.

She remembered the tapestry she was clinging to ripping.

She remembered the portal destabilizing as she hurtled toward it.

She remembered the cold of the void as engulfed her head, then her neck... and then nothing.

She couldn't remember anything past that before waking up to this strange place.

Twisting around, Twilight tried to see anything at all. Up, down, left, right, forward, backward... there was nothing but darkness and silence. Even her own voice failed. She could feel her vocal cords vibrating, her throat straining, but no sound escaped. Was she just deaf, or...

A sound cut through the darkness. It was quiet, almost inaudible. Twilight's ears swiveled around, trying to get a bearing on its origin, but it seemed to be coming from everywhere at once. Slowly, but steadily, it began to get louder.

It was chanting.

Twilight listened, trying to decipher the strange language. It was unlike anything she had ever heard, and she had heard every language on Avol. Whatever it was, it made her uncomfortable. It felt... arcane.

Why would she be hearing arcane chanting? It made no sense. That kind of chanting is used in summoning, conjuring or binding rituals, usually. She wasn't an ethereal or planar being, so it couldn't be a summoning. Despite Rainbow Dash's jokes, she wasn't a force of nature, so it couldn't be a conjuring.

That left one option. Somepony was binding her. Was it Xander? Did he defeat her? As her panic began to rise, she almost failed to see a growing light spreading from the distance.

The chanting reached a crescendo and suddenly she felt as if she was falling. Simple panic was replaced by outright fear. This was no binding. She was being summoned, but there was only one kind of magic that can summon a pony. The only problem was in order for it to work, the pony had to be...

Twilight gasped for air as she sat upright. She rolled over and retched, expelling nothing but bile. The unicorn looked up, examining the five robed figures in blue and black robes standing in a circle around her.

One of them took a step forward, removing its hood to reveal a bronze reptilian face with a crest of green feathers along its head. It knelt down, bowing its head.

“On behalf of Holy Dratali Empire, we welcome you, Mistress, back to the realm of the living.”

Author's Note:

It's not a cross-over :pinkiegasp:?! No way!

Anyway, we're still working on the sequels. Progress is slow, but steady. Making sure four separate stories maintain continuity with each other is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I'm hoping (notice I said hoping) to start posting by Christmas.

PreviousChapters Next