• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 16,764 Views, 514 Comments

The Spell to Happiness - ScientistTrixie



When Twilight discovers an invisibility spell, she finds out some interesting news about Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
37
 514
 16,764

Chapter 3

Several days later...

Twilight growled, pushing another book away from her with her horn. Books were failing her, and her nerves were running ragged. It had been several days since Twilight had found out Rainbow liked her, and so far she had yet to leave her towering stacks of books. Her friends had come by several times to coax her out, but Twilight kept telling everyone that she was working on a very important project. She wasn't even sure what day it was by now, having only slept when her eyes grew heavy.

As she finished the last book in the library on love, she stood, her knee's creaking from being prone for so long. She walked downstairs, calling for Spike. When he didn't respond she sighed, knowing he was at Rarity's. She missed the little dragon, and missed her friends even more, but she was slightly hesitant to leave her home. If she called a group day for them Rainbow would be there and Twilight wasn't sure she could face her just yet.

Every time Twilight thought about Rainbow her feeling's jumbled more and more, until the poor mare couldn't make head nor tails of her emotions. On one hoof, she was terrified that they wouldn't work out, but the more Twilight used that as an excuse to stall the inevitable, the more holes she found in her reasoning. On the other, Twilight was almost sure she shared Rainbow's feeling. Whenever the unicorn thought about her, her knees would grow weak, and her heart would beat out of control.

She froze as a knock sounded on the front door. She tiptoed over and peeked through the blinds, revealing Pinkie pie bouncing in place. Twilight sighed and opened the door, giving her friend a smile. As the pink mare saw her, she pulled a trumpet from behind her back and blew it loudly, causing Twilight's ears to ring.

"God Pinkie! What was that for!" Twilight asked, a scowl on her face, which slowly turned to confusion as Pinkie pulled out a very official looking scroll.

Pinkie cleared her throat as she pulled the scroll open and began reading.

"Hear ye, Hear ye! Today marks the 7 day anniversary of the Cease-fire of the war between the Pie and Sparkle armies. There is a celebration for this momentous occasion tonight. I would be honored if you would join us, as co-honored guest to the festivities."

Pinkie rolled the scroll back up and shoved it into her mane, where it simply disappeared, looking at Twilight expectantly.

"What do you mean it's the seven day anniversary? It's only been two days since.." She trailed off as Pinkie just gave her a smile. "I'll be there Pinkie. I need to get out of the library anyways."

"YAY!" Pinkie screamed, shooting off into the sky like a firework. Amazingly, she even completed the impossible feat with a colorful explosion. As Twilight gazed at the shower of confetti, she noticed how low the sun already was.

"Oh my. I better get ready.." She thought to herself, turning tail and heading to her bedroom. Moments later, Twilight sighed as her mane sat smooth and silky upon her back once again, no longer bushy and frayed from lack of care. She grabbed her saddlebag, slid a book into the pocket and trotted out of the library, closing the door behind her.

As Twilight approached the Sugarcube, she could already hear the music echoing around the town square. The sound of all the people talking, and laughing created an indistinguishable buzz. As she entered the bakery, her eyes looked for the familiar colors of her friends.

"Twilight! Over here! Can you see me?" Twilight giggled as a certain pink pony waved her over frantically.

"Hey girls!" Twilight said as she walked over.

Only Pinkie and Rainbow Dash were present, and for a second Twilight wished she had stayed home. Pinkie handed her a cup full of Applejack's Cider, winking at her as she did so. Twilight smiled, knowing Pinkie was dipping into her almost year round stores of cider for this party. Twilight took a sip of the Cider, her eyes watering slightly as she corrected herself. Pinkie seemed to be dipping into her hard cider tonight.

"Where's everyone else?" She asked looking around the party.

"A-applejack's busy prepping for next cider season, Rarity's making her dress still, and Fluttershy is busy taking care of a new group of bunnies." Rainbow answered, stuttering slightly, her muzzle already a rosy red. Twilight cocked an ear at Rainbow and saw the ponies cheeks color ever so slightly.

"Well those old silly fillies will just have to miss out on the bestest party ever!" Pinkie screamed as dashed into the kitchen, no doubt to bring out the refreshments.

The two ponies laughed as Twilight's eyes drifted around the party, smiling and waving as different ponies caught her eye. Before long the pony was on her second glass of hard cider, enjoying the silence with her cyan friend more than she thought she would have.

Twilight glanced over as a low whine came from the blue pegasus next to her. Rainbow was shuffling her hoof on the ground, and was looking at the ground intently.
"You alright Rainbow?" Twilight asked, already knowing what the pony was probably thinking.

Rainbow's head snapped up, almost as if she had forgotten that her friend was standing before her.

"I-i..." She trailed off and took a deep breath. "I want.. actually I need to tell you something Twilight."

Twilight's ear flattened slightly, and her eyes narrowed slightly, a faint blush appearing on the pony's muzzle and for a moment Rainbow returned the blush.

"I'm listening." Twilight said, slightly shocked at her own confidence. Even though there was music playing, and ponies crowded all around them, for all they knew, they could have been the only ponies present.

"I've been trying to work up the courage to tell you this all week, but I could never get a hold of you." The mare said, making Twilight feel guilty.

"I.. that is I. Yo- um.." Rainbow said, stuttering slightly as she grew nervous. She lowered her muzzle, her mane covering her eyes for a moment. She looked so unsure of herself, and deep down Twilight felt guilty making Rainbow spell it out to her like this.

"Never mind." Rainbow said, a catch in her voice as she started to turn and leave the bakery. She made it just outside the bakery before Twilight caught up to her.

"Rainbow." Twilight said, moving in front of the pegasus, blocking her path. "Please talk to me. I can't help you if you won't talk to me."

Rainbow stood still for a moment, her wings tense, as if she was fighting the urge to run away.

"I love you." She spoke so quietly, at first Twilight wasn't sure she had spoken."But saying that doesn't do any justice to how I feel about you. When I see you my legs go weak, my wings turn to rubber, and my mind goes blank. No matter what I do, you're on my mind. I-"

Up until this moment, Twilight's mind had not been made up one way or the other. But in a heart beat, she knew what she had to do.

The pegasus grew silent as Twilight kissed her, her lips meeting the mares in a blissful silent act of love. Rainbow leaned into the kiss, melting into the unicorns embrace, her wings unfurling, nearly hitting several nearby ponies.

"You talk to much Dash." Twilight said a slight smile on her face. Rainbow stood frozen, a huge grin on her face. Her stance changed, growing happier before her very eyes.

"That.. was... AWESOME!" Rainbow screamed, shooting into the sky in exhilaration, a rainbow trail sparkling in her wake.

Twilight smiled as she watched the pegasus flying happily, feeling a heat in her heart unlike anything she'd ever felt before. And she had been worried. She wasn't sure where their relationship would take them, but she knew deep down it would be a hell of a ride.

Author's Note:

A/N: As of 8/12/2013 Chapter 3 has been edited, and will not change any further besides spelling and grammar.