• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 16,764 Views, 514 Comments

The Spell to Happiness - ScientistTrixie



When Twilight discovers an invisibility spell, she finds out some interesting news about Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
37
 514
 16,764

Chapter 17

Twilight’s ear twitched as sound slowly faded into her consciousness, the mostly silent room broken only by a light snoring. She sat quietly, a small grin on her face as she listened to the familiar sound. She opened her eyes, blinking in the dim light as she looked about the room lazily. She looked down, a weak smile growing on her face as her eyes fell on a messy rainbow mane.

Her grin grew larger as Dash softly snorted in her sleep, scratching at her nose with a hoof as she turned her head. Twilight's smile fell as Rainbow faced her, revealing puffy eyes and faded tear streaks. She appreciated Rainbow being there to make sure she was alright, but she wasn't stupid; she knew the moment she was released from the hospital, Rainbow would be out of here, and...out of her life.

She frowned, hesitating for just a brief moment before extending her hoof, slowly sliding it under Rainbow's, gripping at her hoof tightly, cherishing the moment. Dash's eyes opened slowly and closed again as she yawned loudly, scratching idly at her nose with her other hoof. Her eyes trailed down, slowly focusing on her hoof, before snapping up to Twilight's face. Her eyes flew wide, her mouth dropping open as fresh tears sprang to her eyes.

“You're awake! You're awake!” Rainbow screamed, leaping out of the chair beside the bed as she buried her head in Twilight's neck. Twilight wrapped a hoof around Rainbow, patting her on the back as she mumbled something incoherent into her neck. She frowned, wincing as the IV in her foreleg pulled at her skin. She opened her mouth, coughing roughly as her throat scraped together dryly.

Rainbow pulled away from her, quickly wiping her eyes dry before holding a glass of water to Twilight’s lips. Twilight drank greedily, sighing as Dash pulled the cup away from her.

“I'm fine... What happened?” Twilight mumbled, her eyes scrunched up as she probed her foggy memory. The last thing she could remember was arriving in the Everfree Forest.

“You don't remember?”

Twilight shook her head, drawing a cock-eyed look from Rainbow.

“You were in the Everfree Forest. You ran into changelings, and they... they hurt you... You were stabbed; there was so much blood, and…and…” Rainbow trailed off, her voice dying in her throat.

“I remember,” Twilight said, shivering slightly as she rested her head against her pillow. She sighed, wincing as a sharp pain shot through her body, hissing in pain between her teeth.

“Are you alright?” Dash asked, her wings flapping quickly behind her as she leaned over Twilight worriedly.

“I'm fine,” Twilight said, her eyes closed tightly.

“No you're not; you're in pain!” Rainbow said, her hoof pointed accusingly at Twilight. Before Twilight could respond, Rainbow had vanished through the doorway, the door slowly swinging open behind her. Twilight slumped back against her pillow, a light groan escaping her lips as her head hit the pillow.

A few moments passed in silence, before suddenly being broken as Rainbow zipped back into the room, the sound of hoofsteps echoing through the hallway behind her. A nurse stepped into the doorway, a smile on her face as she entered the room.

“Miss Sparkle, I am happy to see that you've finally woken. Miss Dash tells me you are in pain?” The nurse said, examining the clipboard at the end of the bed.

“Hello Nurse Redheart. Like I told Rainbow, I feel fin-” She sucked in a breath as another spasm of pain shot through her body, her hip on fire. She chuckled weakly, avoiding the narrowed eyes of Nurse Redheart.

“Yes, well, my hip seems to be hurting a fair bit.” Twilight sheepishly admitted. The nurse stepped forward, tugging at Twilight's blanket with her mouth. Once the cover was below her hips, Nurse Redheart examined the hip with a gentle hoof, pressing on the tender skin carefully. Redheart nodded as Twilight flinched slightly, a satisfied smile on her muzzle.

“Your hip is healing nicely, although the skin will be rather tender for a while. I need to check a few things, and then I can give you a pain killer and we'll get you feeling better, okay?” Redheart said, a smile on her muzzle as she examined the machines beside Twilight's bed.

Twilight silently shot a glare at Dash, who smiled innocently back at her.

“I told you I was fine...” Twilight huffed, glaring at Rainbow Dash. She smiled innocently back at her, a smug grin on her face.

“And I knew you weren't!” Dash said, glancing over at Nurse Redheart. “You were hurting Twi, I'm sorry if you're mad at me, but I didn't wanna leave you hurting.”

Twilight shook her head, smiling as she chuckled weakly. “I'm not mad Dashie.”

Twilight turned to face Nurse Redheart, a curious look on her face as she stared at the jumble of machines around her.

“Do you know when I will be able to leave?”

“Well...” The nurse said, twisting a few knobs on the heart monitor beside her. “You were severely injured, Miss Sparkle. You suffered severe blood loss, coupled with muscle damage. We were able to stop the bleeding, but your muscles will have to heal over time.” She turned, facing Twilight fully.

“I cannot say exactly when you will be allowed to leave, but at the current rate of your healing, I can safely say it will not be too long.”

Twilight nodded, her ears flat against her head. Dash placed a reassuring hoof on her shoulder, a gentle smile on her face.

“I will be right back with the painkiller, but it will put you to sleep, so take this time and talk if you need to.” The nurse said, a warm smile on her face as she left the room, her tail flicking behind her.

The room was silent for a moment, Twilight avoiding Dash's eyes by examining the room around her. Dash stared at her, her eyebrow raised as she shot Twilight a confused look.

“…Twi?” Dash said, her face falling as Twilight didn't respond, the unicorn stubbornly staring at the wall. “Are... are you mad at me?”

Twilight lowered her head, sighing heavily as she finally turned to face Rainbow Dash.
“I don't want you here,” She said, her voice lifeless and dull.

“Wha... why?” Dash said, her voice cracking as she stared at the bed-bound unicorn.

“I didn’t want to get my hopes raised... I know the minute I get out of the hospital you're gonna leave … You're only here because you feel like you owe it to me...” She met Rainbow’s eyes, her own narrowing as she took in Rainbow's confused expression.

“Why the hay would I leave?”

“We broke up... Even I know what happens now...” Twilight said, her voice a whisper. Her eyes went wide as Dash started laughing, her jaw falling open.

“We didn't break up, you egghead!” Dash chuckled. She wiped a tear away from her eye, giggling at the dumbfounded expression on Twilight's face.

“But we fough-”

“Yeah, we did fight, and we will probably fight a lot. But just because we fight doesn't mean I won’t still love you. You'll always be my egghead, egghead.” She said, leaning forward and nuzzling Twilight.

“I'm so sorry, Rainbow. I really didn't mean to hurt you; I just didn't know what to do. I love you so much, and I can’t imagine my life without you.” Twilight said, sniffling slightly as she tightly hugged the cyan pegasus.

“Ahem,” A voice called out, drawing the couple's attention to a blushing Nurse Redheart standing in the doorway. “I apologize for interrupting, but I have the pain reliever ready.”

She stepped forward, popped the needle into the IV tube, and quickly emptied the contents of the needle into it. Twilight thanked her, staring at her arm as the cool liquid entered her bloodstream. Rainbow squeezed her hoof reassuringly, giving Twilight a small grin.

Twilight blinked, her eyelids growing heavy as her vision swam. Slowly her eyelids closed, sleep claiming her once again.

~Ponyville Hospital~

Twilight stayed in the hospital for another two weeks, in which Rainbow Dash never once left her side. She was visited daily by the rest of her friends, and she was even visited by both of the princesses on two separate occasions.

Her hip healed nicely, leaving a very faint but, as Dash described it, sexy scar. She was allowed to walk short trips around the hospital, but had so far been unable to leave her hospital bed for any extended time. She was glad she was allowed to leave her room, even if it was just for a few minutes.

Twilight giggled as Dash waved her forelegs exaggeratedly, her wings flaring out behind her as she spoke.

“And than Daring Do leapt from the top of the cliff, her wings still wrapped tight against her sides by the rope Ahuizotl had snagged her wit-” Dash looked towards the door as somepony knocked lightly.

Twilight turned from Dash as Nurse Redheart entered her room, carrying a clipboard in her mouth.

“Hello, Nurse Redheart, do I get to go home today?” Twilight asked, giggling as Redheart shot her the same look she had given her the last thirteen times she had asked that question. However, to her surprise, Nurse Redheart nodded and laid the clipboard beside her.

Twilight smiled happily and picked it up. She glanced over the sheet, smiling as Nurse Redheart explained what was on the document.

“These are your discharge papers, along with activities you should stay away from until you are completely healed. Unfortunately, until you are healed, we must ask that you refrain from using magic. You will also be required to check in with the hospital every two weeks until we are happy with your progress.” Nurse Redheart said, a warm smile on her face as she passed Twilight a pen.

Twilight frowned, gripping the pen between her teeth as she pulled the board close to her mouth. She scrawled a signature across the paper, glaring at her messy writing.

“Sorry... I'm not really used to writing without my magic…” She said, blushing slightly as Redheart took the clipboard from her.

“That's quite alright, Miss Sparkle. Have a nice day, and remember; no magic!” She called over her shoulder as she trotted from the room, leaving Twilight to smile happily at Dash. Dash was dancing in place, an excited grin on her face.

Twilight pulled herself out of her bed, smiling as Dash took her place beside her. They walked through the hospital, waving at the few nurses they recognized as they made their way through the hospital hallways.

“It's good to be allowed to go back home now.” Twilight said, flipping her mane out behind her. They stepped through the hospital doors, a smile on her face as she took a deep breath.

“I bet. Spike will be glad to see that you're out!” Dash said, giggling as Twilight's eyes went wide at the thought of her assistant. Twilight sped up, trotting ahead of Rainbow. Her tail flicked behind her as Dash's eyes slowly slid down, her gaze lingering on her marefriend’s flank. She blushed as Twilight glanced at her, arching a brow at the pegasus.

Dash looked away, clearing her throat as she sped up to pull alongside Twilight. Twilight giggled at her, a smile on her muzzle as they passed through the town, their hooves kicking up small dust clouds as they made their way towards the library. As the large tree slowly came into view, Twilight shot a challenging look over at Rainbow, narrowing her eyes at the pegasus.

Rainbow grinned, her tail twitching behind her as she shot forward, her hooves digging into the ground as she galloped beside Twilight, the two giggling as they raced toward the large tree. Twilight pulled ahead, her eyes narrowed as she pulled ahead of her marefriend. Her horn flared briefly as she gripped the door's handle, wincing as her hip twinged slightly. She released her magic, her hooves scrambling to slow her as she barreled towards the door.

She slid to a stop an inch from the door, a hoof raised to her lips as Dash slammed head first into it. She bit back a laugh as Dash swayed dizzily, her mane flying in the air as she shook her head. She shot a glare at Twilight, before spinning around and slinging the door open, her head lowered as she sulked into the library.

Twilight followed her inside, giggling quietly as she stepped forward. She shrieked in surprise as a blur slammed into her foreleg, squeezing it tightly. She smiled down at Spike, nuzzling him as he looked up at her with happy tears in his eyes.

“I'm so glad you're okay, Twilight,” He said, his voice quivering lightly. He released her leg as he pulled at his tail, staring up at her as his face fell. “I thought you had…died…”

Twilight frowned, rubbing her muzzle against his cheek reassuringly. “Don't ever worry about me leaving you, Spike.” She glanced up at Rainbow, who was halfway between smiling and pouting.

“I'll never leave either of you like that again.”

She smiled at both of them, her eyes widening as she looked past the two, finally taking note of the streamers and party favors hanging on her walls, balloons were floating around, and party games were on the table. She tensed slightly, the hairs on the back of her neck standing on end as she scanned the room, her ears laid flat against her neck.

“Spike...” Twilight whispered, her eyes locked on the kitchen door.

“Yeah?”

“Where's Pinkie Pie?” She whispered, glancing toward the dragon at her side.

“Here I am!” Pinkie screamed, appearing from behind Spike's back, her frizzy mane bouncing atop her head as she jumped out from behind him. “Where'd Twilight go?” She asked, glancing at Dash, who was currently rolling on the ground howling with laughter.

Dash lifted a hoof, pointing at the ceiling above them before slamming said hoof against the ground, snorting in laughter. Pinkie Pie looked up, giggling at the purple unicorn flat against the ceiling, her hooves dug deep into the wood. Her mane was frazzled, her eyes wide and dilated.

“How will you enjoy your party from up there?” Pinkie asked, bouncing around the room as she stared at Twilight.

Twilight glared at her, slowly relaxing as Dash flew up and pulled her into her forelegs. Rainbow slowly lowered her to the ground, nuzzling Twilight's neck as she touched the ground. She blushed as Rainbow giggled, smoothing her mane down before stepping out of her grip.

“Why didn't you tell me there was a party planned?” Twilight asked, an eyebrow raised at the pegasus beside her.

Rainbow Dash shrugged, a smile on her face. “You never asked! I haven't had a chance to talk to Pinkie since she last visited you in the hospital. Anyways, I knew there would be one; I just didn't expect it to be so... soon.”

Twilight nodded, her gaze shifting to the pink pony bouncing around her living room.

“Well, if this is a party, where's everypony else?” She asked, her eyes narrowing suspiciously as she examined the room before her.

“About to knock!” Pinkie chirped, her tail bouncing beside her as she danced in place. Right on cue, somepony knocked on the library door, before waiting a moment and entering.

“Well Ah'll be! Pinkie was righ' on the money when she said you'd be outta the hospital today.” Applejack said, a happy grin on her muzzle as she entered the library, tipping her hat at Twilight and Rainbow. Rarity and Fluttershy entered behind her, the pair speaking quietly between themselves.

“Darling, that hospital bed did not do your mane any favors.” Rarity said, inspecting her hair with a critical eye. Her horn flared brightly she picked at strands of Twilight's mane, ignoring her protest.

“I think she looks just fine.” Fluttershy said, smiling happily at Twilight. Twilight grinned appreciatively at her, and then flinched as Rarity tugged on a split end in her mane. Rarity sighed and released her hold on Twilight's mane as Twilight playfully glared at her. Twilight yelped as a pair of hooves came down on her sides, effortlessly hoisting her into the air.

She shrieked, shooting a fierce glare at Pinkie Pie as she deposited her in a seat before a small pile of presents.

“You know you didn't have to buy me anything!” Twilight protested with a faint smile, glancing between her friends.

They all ignored her, so with a smile, she grabbed a small orange box from the top of the pile. Her hoof tore into the paper, revealing a small wooden chest. Her name was elegantly engraved in the top, spiral patterns adorned across the wood. She gasped as examined the box, flipping the small latch on it as she opened it. It was empty inside, but had a dark blue material lining the inside of the box.

“Oh my Celestia, Applejack I love it!” She said, smiling as she set the box to her side.

Applejack waved away her thanks, a smile on her lips as she nodded at Twilight.

Twilight looked at the presents for a moment, her tongue between her teeth before she picked a large pink present from the middle of the pile. She pulled the wrapping paper off, throwing it to the side as she lifted the box’s lid. She stared inside in confusion, before glancing over to Pinkie Pie.

“It's empty...” She trailed off as she realized Pinkie Pie was no longer beside her.

She shrugged, her eyes drifting to the box once again. She yelped in surprise as Pinkie's hoof suddenly appeared inside the box, holding a blue and purple cupcake atop a small plate. Twilight stared at the offered cupcake for a moment, before lifting the plate off of Pinkie’s hoof. The pink foreleg slid back into the box, and before Twilight could speak, Pinkie Pie was clapping excitedly from her previous spot beside her.

Twilight stared in shock for a moment, her eye twitching as Rarity slowly levitated the box and cupcake from her hooves, only to be replaced by a large yellow box. After Twilight failed to move, Rarity cleared her throat. Twilight remained still. Rarity huffed, her horn flaring baby blue as she slit the paper open, neatly removing the paper as she folded it into a small square.

Twilight shook her head, slowly pulling the box apart. Inside was a beautiful birdhouse, shaped exactly like her library, complete with a small Twilight and Spike inside, and a flying Owlicious.

“Oh, thank you Fluttershy! It's beautiful!” She said, her hoof prodding the small doorway, which opened and closed with ease. Fluttershy beamed, a smile on her face as she took the birdhouse from Twilight, gently placing it on the table beside her.

“Me next, darling!” Rarity said, eagerly pushing a small box into her face.

“Okay okay, calm down Rarity!” She said, giggling at the look on Rarity's face. She tore the paper from the box, revealing a beautiful dress, stylized around her cutie mark. The fabric was a brilliant purple, with pinkish red highlights across the dress.

“Wow, Rarity, this is beautiful!” She smiled, holding the dress in her hooves. “I'll have to find a nice occasion to wear this soon!” She ran a hoof across the fabric, completely missing the knowing look Rarity shot Rainbow.

Rarity pulled the dress away from Twilight, gently floating it to the table. “Go ahead and open Rainbow Dash's present dear.”

Rainbow held out a small blue box, her cheeks burning a dull crimson. Twilight gave her an odd look, before accepting the box from her. She eagerly tore the paper off, the box lid coming off moments later. She looked inside, her eyes widening as she glanced to Dash. Rainbow blushed brighter, avoiding Twilight's eye as Twilight reached into the box, cradling the small object in her hooves.

“Oh Dashie...” Twilight murmured as she looked back up at Rainbow. “Thank you...”

Author's Note:

A/n: As of 8/13/2013 Chapter 17 is now edited, and will no longer be changed beside spelling and grammar mistakes.