• Published 1st Dec 2012
  • 16,772 Views, 514 Comments

The Spell to Happiness - ScientistTrixie



When Twilight discovers an invisibility spell, she finds out some interesting news about Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
37
 514
 16,772

Chapter 14

Twilight limped forward, grinding her teeth together as she gingerly placed a hoof onto the rickety old bridge. She moved forward, grunting with each step as her hooves scraped against the ragged wood. She cast a glance behind her, her eyes searching every shadow and every tree. She stumbled, her hoof breaking through a rotten board with an ear splitting crack.

She grimaced, slowly lifting herself to her hooves as she carefully stepped over the space where the board used to be. She stepped lightly on each board, slowly putting weight on each one to make sure it wouldn't break underneath her weight. As she safely reached the other side, she sighed in relief. Before her were the long-forgotten remains of a tower, and as she examined it, her eyes went wide as a familiar voice called out to her.

“Well well well... If it isn't Twilight Sparkle, the famed Element of Magic!”

She froze, her breath catching in her chest as she slowly turned around. On the opposite side of the ravine sat a purple unicorn, a smile evident on her face even from here. Twilight closed her eyes, and slowly opened them, staring at the tree line in disbelief.

“What's wrong? Don't you recognize yourself?” The doppelganger said, turning her body to show off her six-point star cutie mark. “Does this help?” She asked, sarcasm dripping from every word.

Twilight narrowed her eyes, her horn flaring magenta as she lowered her head.

“Oh no... She's going to attack you!” A voice rang out, erupting into laughter as Twilight's jaw dropped, her horn dimming slightly. Several feet away, another doppelganger stepped out of the forest, a smirk on her muzzle as she stepped to stand beside the other.

Twilight's horn fizzled out as the forest behind them suddenly revealed Twilight after Twilight, all of them laughing and talking, every single one of them an exact match of Twilight Sparkle. Fear gripped her heart as they simultaneously grew silent, their eyes all focused on her.

“You hurt her so badly, Twilight. She can’t, and never will, forgive you for avoiding her like that.” The first Twilight double said, her eyes narrowed as she stepped forward, slowly crossing the rickety bridge.

“Stay back! I will defend myself!” The real Twilight yelled, her horn flaring once again as she took aim at the approaching creature.

“Oh, we know you will, Twilight. Always ready to defend yourself, without a thought about anyone else's feelings.” A double said, slowly moving across the bridge. Twilight flinched, hearing the unspoken accusation thrown in her face.

“Poor Rainbow Dash... You hurt her feelings so bad she pushed you off her cloud!” Another Twilight added, stepping forward to cross the bridge.

“No! It wasn't like that! It... It was an accident!” She said, uncertainty biting at her mind. She stepped back, shaking her head from side to side. She turned, only to shriek in surprise and fear as more of the creatures moved in behind her, slowly boxing her in.

“Face the facts, Twilight! She pushed you away! She rejected you! If she still loved you, she would have tried to save you!” A copy said, stepping forward menacingly.

“No...no! That's not true! Dash wouldn't ever try to hurt me... No matter what I did to her...” She said, pulling at her ears with her hooves.

“She's the fastest flier in all of Equestria! She singlehoofedly saved the Wonderbolts and Rarity... Makes me wonder...” A double said, tapping her chin with her hoof. “Where was your savior?”

Twilight shook her head, tears springing to her eyes as she fought to ignore the evil creatures.

“I'll tell you where she was... At a front row seat to watch you die!” The original copy said, her mellow voice changing to a snarl as she stepped forward. She reached out and roughly grabbed Twilight's chin in her hoof.

Twilight looked at the creature, tears streaming down her face as it examined her. It pulled its forearm back and smacked her across the cheek as it roared with laughter. Twilight cried out in pain, a hoof reaching to caress her cheek as she turned, glaring at the creature.

Her horn flared brightly and a blast of pure magic shot through the air, slamming into the creature's chest, rocketing the creature through the air. It slammed into the ground, a look of pain and bewilderment on its face.

Twilight turned from side to side, her horn aglow as her eyes darted from creature to creature.

“The worst part is? She'll miss watching you die!” One of the copies said as it lept forward suddenly, its body twisting in the air to slam into her. She cried out in surprise, her horn blinking out as she fell to the dirt.

She looked up, lifting her forearm as a hoof stomped down, slamming into her forearm roughly. The creature ground her forearm into the dirt, a sadistic grin on its muzzle as the rest of the creatures laughed. Several of the copies stepped forward, and began to kick and stomp on her as she cried out in pain.

“Enough... That's enough!” A voice called out, echoing across the suddenly silent clearing. Twilight coughed weakly, her sides aching as she slowly turned her head to the source of the voice.

The mare she had blasted stood before her, a burn splashed across her chest as she glared at the unicorn before her. She looked over Twilight, beckoning toward her with her head.

Twilight yelled, fighting against the creatures as they grabbed at her forearms, lifting her until only her back legs dragged against the ground.

The double stepped forward, staring at Twilight for a moment before turning. Her back legs slammed into Twilight's chest, a vicious snap ringing through the air as she crumpled to the ground.

Twilight gasped for breath, a tiny dribble of blood leaking from the corner of her mouth. Her horn flared suddenly, a ball of magenta light shooting off into the night sky. She rolled onto her back, her eyes glazing over as she stared at the ball of light above her. The light flew through the air, vanishing into the distance. A small smile appeared on her face as her mind drifted to the last few weeks that she had spent with Rainbow.

Just the thought of her lover sent a numbness throughout her entire body, chasing the pain away. She could see the prismatic mane waving in the air; the rainbow left behind the pegasus wherever she flew. She could almost feel Dash's feathers against her side. She leaned against the light embrace, her cheek rubbing against the cool feathers. As she realized what she was doing, she blinked in surprise and looked up to see a familiar pair of eyes staring into hers.

“Oh Twilight... What did they do to you?!” Rainbow asked, concern and anger evident in her eyes.

Twilight gasped, her eyes full of hope as she looked up at the mare standing above her.

“I'm sorry... Rainbow! I'm so... so sorry! I was.. so scared I... wouldn't get to tell you!” She whispered, wincing as each breath she took sent another jolt of pain through her chest. Rainbow shushed her, rubbing her cheek tenderly as she looked at her.

Twilight stared into her green eyes, swimming in her marefriend’s gaze as she visibly relaxed against Dash's embrace. Rainbow stood, her wings flaring as she glared at the creatures around them. She stepped over Twilight's bruised and battered body, shielding the unicorn with her own as she pawed at the ground, preparing for a fight.

Twilight gasped for breath, her chest screaming as she struggled to breath against her broken ribs. Her eyes went wide as a double stepped forward, throwing itself at Rainbow Dash. Dash was a blur of movement as she turned, slamming her back hooves into the creature's chest.

Twilight gasped, her horn flaring as a creature behind Dash stepped forward. She gripped the creature in her magic, slamming the creature into the ground roughly, before throwing it back into the crowd. Rainbow looked back at her, surprise and concern on her face.

“Take it easy, Twilight, I can handle these things myself!” She said, eying the crowd around her.

Twilight nodded absently, her head resting on the ground as she breathed deeply. Magic crept up her horn, casting a magenta glow across her face. Dash yelped in surprise and confusion as Twilight's magic grabbed her, lifting her helplessly into the air, her hooves flailing uselessly.

“What do you think you are doing!?” She asked in fear, her voice cracking as she looked at Twilight, her eyes wide in surprise.

“Defending myself... from an... imposter!” She said, her teeth clenching as she slammed the fake Rainbow into the ground, a small dust cloud rising into the air. She eyed the dust cautiously, her horn glowing dangerously.

A chilling laughter rang out across the ruins, echoing into the darkening night around them.

“How'd you know I wasn't her?” The creature asked.

“My Rainbow... doesn't have... green eyes..” She said, trailing off as the dust cleared, revealing Rainbow Dash smirking at her.

The imposter laughed, her voice changing as she eyed the unicorn before her.

“You still don't recognize me? I'm hurt, Twilight...” The creature said, laughing horribly as green flames exploded around her. Through the flame's, Twilight caught sight of Rainbow's wings peeling away, her fur melting away as the creature grew taller, bursting out of Rainbow's form.

“Chrysalis!” Twilight shook her head, her eyes wide as she stared in horror.

“Oh, how sweet! You do remember me!” She said, lifting herself into the air, the buzzing of her wings filling the air. “Don't worry, Twilight; I remember you as well!” She screamed, her horn flaring as she picked Twilight up in her magical grip, slowly squeezing the unicorn until Twilight screamed out in pain.

Chrysalis laughed, her horn flaring brighter as she gripped even tighter, Twilight gasping as pain filled her chest. Her eyes went wide as she fought for breath, her horn glowing weakly as she tried to overcome the spell crushing her. She could feel her body begging for air, her eyes watering as she gasped for air. Stars appeared before her eyes, her vision slowly fading into black as her head fell forward.

Suddenly she was falling freely, her body slamming into the ground painfully. She sucked in a deep breath, crying out in pain as her ribs burned in her chest. She looked up, tears clouding her vision as hope suddenly bloomed in her heart. Where Chrysalis stood just a moment ago, Rainbow Dash hovered, her face flushed with anger.

~Rainbow Dash, Ten minutes earlier~

Rainbow stood silently, her head hung low as she studied Ponyville from above. Below her, the town bustled here and there, and even in the dying sunlight, lanterns and street lamps threw a warm glow across the entire town. Her eyes widened as caught sight of Rarity waving toward her, beckoning for the pegasus to land.

She dove suddenly, wind whistling through her ears as her wings snapped to her side. She fell like a stone, her tail flicking through the wind before she ripped her wings open, a cushion of air slowing her enough for a comfortable landing.

“Have you found her?” Rainbow asked, her voice cracking as she looked around them.

“No, I’m afraid not, darling. Don't worry though; she'll turn up.” Rarity said, a reassuring smile on her face.

Rainbow's face fell, her teeth clenched as she nodded. “I know she will, Rarity. I'm just scared it'll be too late when she does turn up.”

Rarity opened her mouth to reply but gasped as a small ball of magenta light floated down onto the street, quickly moving toward the two of them.

Rainbow looked up, her wings flaring as her eyes fell on the small globe, a sudden calm filling her heart and mind. She stepped forward, her hoof outstretched toward the pulsating ball, only to be stopped by Rarity. She turned, giving the unicorn a strange look.

“Don't touch that! We don't know what it is!” Rarity said, vainly pulling on Dash's hoof.

Rainbow laughed, pulling her hoof free of Rarity's grasp. “I may not know what it is... But I know who sent it!” She said, eyeing the ball before her. She stepped forward, a hoof passing through the ball, a wisp of magenta energy zipping across her skin. She frowned and leaned forward as she examined the ball.

Her eyes went wide as the ball leaped forward, filling her view for a moment before slamming into her body, vanishing altogether. She stood still, looking around for a moment before turning to Rarity, her shoulders slumped and her tail hanging low.

“I thought that m...” She trailed off suddenly, her pupils shrinking as a magical force suddenly gripped her mind. Suddenly the pegasus was no longer in Ponyville, but in a dark forest. A familiar bridge stood before her, with the ruins of a forgotten castle across a foggy chasm.

She stood among the ruins, her eyes wide with panic as several unicorns began to step out of the forest, their mouths moving in phantom whispers. They marched across the bridge, circling her as she flared her horn in defense.

She was being held by two of the creatures, her body aching all over. A creature with a large black burn turned, its back leg's lashing out. She fell to the ground a few feet away, crying out in pain as her breathing became hard, a knife like pain in her chest.

She blinked in confusion as her body rolled of its own accord. She was looking at the night sky, her head refusing to turn as a bright light built just above her eyes. Suddenly the ball of light exploded from her horn, shooting into the sky, quickly vanishing into the distance.

Rainbow blinked, closing her eyes in confusion. Rarity was bent over her, a worried look on her face as she slowly sat up.

“Oh, what happened?” Rainbow asked, rubbing a hoof across her head. She stood suddenly, her entire body rigid as she turned toward the Everfree forest. She looked around, her eyes locking on Rarity.

“Find Spike. Tell him to send a letter to Celestia. Tell her Twilight is in the Everfree forest, at the old castle, and she's...” She trailed off for a moment, a tear leaking down her cheek. “She's hurt really badly.”

Rarity gasped, her hooves clattering over the road as she sprinted towards the library, quickly disappearing into the town proper. Rainbow crouched and threw herself into the air, a brilliant rainbow trailing along behind her. She pushed herself faster and faster, a faint white cone appearing around her body as she sped through the air.

She screamed through the air, a scream of pure anger and sorrow as the cone around her exploded, an ear-shattering boom shattering the night sky, accompanied by an explosion of color. She flew forward, her entire body painting a brilliant rainbow across the sky.

She prayed silently, her mind willing her wings to move faster and faster.

“I hope I'm not too late. Hang on, Twilight; I’m coming for you.”

Author's Note:

A/n: As of 8/13/2013 Chapter 14 is now edited, and will no longer be changed beside spelling and grammar mistakes.