• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 1,522 Views, 14 Comments

A Final Goodbye - Teal-Tome



Octavia's is shock when her something tragic happens to her. How will she more on?

  • ...
3
 14
 1,522

Memories

Octavia had been sleeping, she was exhausted from the rehearsal she had that day. She just wanted to relax. It’s was almost morning when she began to hear her phone ringing. Octavia stood up and went to pick up the phone. She answered; it was the Canterlot General Hospital. When hearing the bad news, she dropped the phone; she grabbed her coat and trotted as fast as she could towards the hospital. She was afraid of what would happen if she didn’t get there in time.

She finally arrived at the hospital, she asked a pony in the front desk where she could locate her friend. She trotted up the stairs until she got the floor where her friend was in. She asked around once more where she could find her. She finally was guided to the room. She entered the room to see her best friend and lover lying on the cold hospital bed. She trotted up to her, and she was crying. Her friend was connected to a bunch of machines that were helping her stay alive. She kissed her friends cheek; she ran her hoof through her friend’s blue mane. The nurses came in, they asked if Octavia needed anything, all she asked for was a blanket, and she was planning on sleeping next to her lover.

Morning came around, Octavia woke up, she looked over at her fiend, and she was sleeping. The nurses came in to check up on her and left. Octavia was planning on staying at the hospital until her friend was out. She still didn’t know what had happen to her; the doctors would refuse to tell her. She’d even asked the nurses how her friend was doing. They would just say she was fine, there was nothing wrong. The nurses lied to Octavia, they knew at any minute now; her friend would be in worse condition.

Days had past, and nothing, and it seemed to Octavia that her friend was getting worse and worse, but the doctors and nurses kept telling her that she was doing fine. At times she would crying for hours, pleading to her friend to keep fighting so they could be back together. Suddenly her heart rate was going down, she signaled the nurses, they told Octavia to get out of the room, and one of the nurses ran to get one of the doctors. Octavia was worried.

Was it something I said to her? Oh Celestia, please help my dear friend! She needs your help…

Minutes passed, but for Octavia it seem like hours had passed. She was uncontrollably crying, she didn’t want to lose her friend who’d she had grown feelings for. They had been together for a couple years now. She thought to herself that she wouldn’t be able to move on without her friend.

Finally, a doctor came up to Octavia, “I’m sorry Miss Octavia…your friend has passed away. We’ve tried everything we could to get her back. She has gone to a better place.”

Octavia was a mess, hearing the news of her late friend, it crushed her. She was alone now, she had nopony. She trotted with her head down all the way to her home. She just wanted to be by herself. She opened the door to her home, it was dark, she turned on the light, and her home was left as she left it, but something was missing. She trotted up to her room, and she locked herself in it. She lay on her bed, thinking of late friend and the time fun times they had together. She was remembering the time they first met.


Octavia was excited to go to college; she really wanted to become the best cellist in all of Equestria. Octavia was waiting for her roommate to arrive at their dorm; she had been waiting to meet her. Hours past and it seem she would never arrive. Finally, Octavia’s new roommate arrived, she entered the room. Octavia was in shock when she saw her roommate enter the room. She was Vinyl Scratch, one of the newest DJs to come out of Canterlot. She was carrying all of her equipment and was pushing a mysterious black box with a huge red button.

“Hey! How’s it going, my name is Vinyl Scratch aka DJ-PON3, I’m one of Canterlot’s best DJs.”

“Hello, my name is Octavia Philharmonica, and never heard of you.”

Vinyl took off her glasses, “You haven’t heard of me? Don’t you remember that big rave a couple months back? Weren’t you there?”

“Um…no. I don’t listen to your kind of music. I prefer classical music.”

“Oh, well. Do you want me to show you some of my work?”

“Sorry Vinyl, no.”

They were both quiet. They knew that there had to be some mistake when they assigned as roommates. Vinyl would wake up Octavia in the middle of the night; she had mini raves in their room. Octavia would try anything in order for her to sleep without Vinyl being random. As the next few months and years their relationship got better. They became the best of friends. They would do everything together.


She had cried herself to sleep. She really missed her. She woke up the next day. She didn’t feel like going to rehearsals. She just wanted to be by herself. She walked into the kitchen. She remembered the times her glass cup would break because of Vinyl’s dishwasher. Even though it annoyed her, she missed it now. She went to the refrigerator and poured some orange juice into a glass cup. She drank it quietly, with every sip she took; a tear would come out of her eyes. She wished her glass cup would shatter; she was too used to it by now. She finished her orange juice; she trotted up to her room and locked herself in it once more. She decided to play the cello.

This should cheer me up!

She played one of her favorite songs, midway through the song she realized, This was her favorite song, she loved it when I played it for her. Oh Vinyl…


After they graduated from the university, they went their separate ways. They never saw each other. Octavia had been working at a few gigs; she played at wedding, funerals, dances, auctions. She had been living back with her parents while she got on her feet. She had a very tough time find a group of musicians that would let her join.

While Octavia was struggling, Vinyl had it good, after she graduated she went on a tour around Equestria and played her jams at local nightclubs. She had been partying like there was no tomorrow. She loved the spotlight; she had been named one of the best DJs. While on the tour one of her gigs was in Canterlot. She had really missed the fun times she spent with Octavia. She was on mission to find her.

The night before Vinyl’s big gig in Canterlot, Octavia was playing at a local restaurant. She was playing a new song she had just learned. The ponies in the restaurant had loved it, Fancypants was in attendance, he walked up to Octavia and handed her his card. She had squee’d, she knew that this could mean for her. She had always dreamed of being part of Canterlot’s Orchestra and playing for the princesses.

She went back to playing the same song, the ponies kept requesting it. Then she glanced over at the entrence and saw a white mare with a blue mane. She realized it was her old roommate from her days at the university. She was even more surprised when she saw that Vinyl wasn’t wearing her iconic glasses. Vinyl sat at a table near Octavia, she had planned to get her attention. In that moment, Vinyl realized how good of a cellist Octavia was. She fell in love with the song she was playing.

After Octavia finished playing the song, she told everypony in the restaurant that she was done for the night, the ponies praised Octavia. She trotted down from the stage and walked up to Vinyl.

“Hey Vinyl, I’m surprised to see you here! May I please sit here?”

“Sure Tavy, I was hoping to talk to you. I’ve been busy lately. Since I was in Canterlot, I wanted to come and visit you.”

“Vinyl, you know how much I hate that nickname!”

“Oh come on, you know you love it! Anyway, I would have expected you to be playing for Canterlot’s Orchestra?”

“No, I’ve been having a tough time with finding a stable job. How about yourself? How’s the tour going?”

“Wait…how do you know that I’m on a tour?”

“Ever since we went our own ways, I’ve been keeping up to date with what you’ve been doing.”

“So you ‘wub’ my music?”

“Ugh, yes, but don’t tell anypony!“

“Oh Tavy, you know I won’t tell anypony about it.”

They ordered some food and had dinner together. They spoke about their music and had a discussion on music theory. They had taken that class together and really improved their music. After they finished, they left the restaurant. Vinyl wanted to be with Octavia forever. She completed her, she had feeling for her. She was in love with Octavia. She was going to wait to ask her. They walked and Octavia had to get home. They trotted to Octavia’s home.

“Well, it was nice seeing you Vinyl, I had fun tonight. I hope after your tour we could spend some more time together.”

“I did too Tavy, I missed you! I hope we get to see each other once more!”

“Me too! Well, night Vinyl!”

“Night Tavy!”


She smiled as she remembered that moment. She missed her now than before. Octavia put down her cello and lay on her bed. She just wanted to hold her once more. She wrapped herself in her blankets. She loved her so much, they did every together. From going to the store, to even going to the movies, their bond and love for each other was unbreakable. She cried for a couple minutes, she then got up from her bed and wiped her tears off her face. She decided to get to local bar, she wanted to drink her sadness away. As she trotted towards the local bar, she felt alone and vulnerable, Vinyl would protect Octavia in any situation, from being insulted to when she was scared from a movie they watched, Vinyl was always there to comfortable her. She really missed that. She entered the bar and walked up to the bartender.

“Sir, may I please get some of your highest quality scotch?”

“Yes madame.” The bartender poured scotch into a cup and placed it near Octavia. Octavia drank it, and asked for another. She had another flashback.


Vinyl’s tour had ended, she returned to Canterlot. She had been offered a job at a local nightclub. She gladly took it. She was on a mission, a different mission this time around. She wanted to proclaim her love to Octavia, but she was nervous.

What if she says no?

She was unsure of how Octavia was going to react. She didn’t want to lose her as a friend either. She decided to trot over to Octavia’s apartment, she had finally moved out of her parent’s home since she got famous, she was now a part of Canterlot’s Royal Orchestra. She finally realized her dream; she played for in front of the princesses. Princess Luna was a fan of Octavia when she made her debut.

Vinyl knocked on the door.

“Give me a sec!" Octavia shouted.

Vinyl had been quiet, she didn’t want to ruin the surprise. Octavia opened the door, she was in shock.

“Vinyl? Is that you? Am I dreaming?”

“No Tavy, you are not dreaming, it’s me! I just wanted to hang out with my best friend. “

Octavia blushed a bit, “Come on in Vinyl! We have much to talk about! I’ve missed you so much!”

Vinyl entered Octavia’s apartment. She sat down on her couch as Octavia was preparing some tea for her and Vinyl. Vinyl was getting nervous, she was sweating. Octavia had returned with the tea. Vinyl used her magic to put some honey into her cup and sipped it.

“Tavy, would you like some honey in your tea?”

“Why yes Vinyl, that’d be quite nice of you! So, how’s the night life? How was the rest of the tour?”

She poured honey into Octavia’s tea and handed it to her, “Well, I was offered a job at a local nightclub, so I’ll be able to visit you more often. The tour was okay, all I could of think of was you! I missed you so much.”

“D’awww, I’ve missed you too! I wish you had been there when I played for the Princesses! Ever since the last time we saw each other I've been thinking of you. I was also thinking of you while playing in front of the Princesses” She reached over to Vinyl and hugged her. Vinyl blushed. She loved Octavia, she wanted their relationship to be closer.

“Tavy, do you want to go watch a movie or something? I’ve been wanting to go to the movies, and I thought ‘Why not invite Tavy? She loves movies, and hanging out with my best friend from college.’”

Octavia giggles quietly.

“Sure Vinyl, let’s go to the movies! I haven’t watched any movies since we were in college.”

“Okay Tavy!”

“Just give me a sec, let me get my coat.” She trotted into her room, grabbed her coat and headed out with Vinyl.

The arrived at the movie theater, it was freezing.

“So what movie would you like to see? My treat!”

Octavia pondered, she looked at the movies that were showing, “Um, how about the new Daring Do film? I love the books!”

“Okay Tavy!” Vinyl trotted up to the ticket booth and asked for two tickets. She paid for them and Vinyl and Octavia headed into the lobby.

“Tavy, do you want some popcorn and a soft drink?”

“Sure Vinyl, I would love it!” Vinyl asked for the biggest popcorn size and for large soft drinks. By the time Vinyl paid for the snacks, it was time to head into the movie. They both trotted in, the theater had only a few people. They trotted up the stairs and chose a really good spot. The film began, Vinyl wanted to put her hoof around Octavia. After a couple minutes passed, she had the guts to put her hoof around Octavia. She blushed and handed some popcorn to Vinyl.

The film ended, they trotted out of the theater and began to head to Octavia’s home.

“Tavy, what did you think of the movie?”

“I enjoyed it very much. How about you?”

“I prefer the books better, but overall it was good!”

They smiled at each other and continued trotting.

They had finally arrived home. Octavia got her keys from her coat pocket and unlocked the door.

“Well we are here Tavy; I guess I’ll see you later!”

As Octavia opened the door, she looked back to her friend. Vinyl began to trot to her apartment when she heard a familiar voice yelling at her.

“Vinyl! Wait!”

Vinyl noticed Octavia running towards her. Octavia stopped to catch her breath.

“Vinyl, why don’t you stay at my house for the night? It’s getting cold and it’s very late at night for a mare like you to be wandering the streets.”

“Okay Tavy. I’ll take you up on that offer.”

They both trotted back to Octavia’s home. Vinyl took her coat off and placed it on the coat rack. She sat on Octavia’s couch. Meanwhile, Octavia was in the kitchen making some hot cocoa so they would warm up. She placed the hot cocoa on the coffee table, and went upstairs and grab the biggest blanket. She sat next to Vinyl and covered themselves with the blanket. Vinyl know this was a perfect time to let Octavia know.

“Um…Octavia?”

Octavia took a sip of the hot cocoa, “Yes, Vinyl?

“I’ve been hiding something from you all this time. Can you promise me we can still be friends?”

Octavia put her cup down, “Vinyl, I’ll always be your friend, now tell me.”

“Ever since the last time we met up, I grew feelings for you. I wasn’t too sure before tonight, but tonight, those feeling became true. Octavia, I love you, I want to be more than friends. I want us to be together forever.”

Octavia was speechless and overwhelmed, she thought back to all the moments she had with Vinyl. Vinyl made her get out of her comfort zone, and she made Vinyl a bit more sophisticated. She smiled, she looked at Vinyl.

”Vinyl, I’ve been thinking the same thing. You really complete, even though we are complete opposites. I love you Vinyl.”

Vinyl smiled and gave Octavia a nuzzle. Octavia put her head on Vinyl’s chest, and they spent the whole night together.


She spent about an hour at the bar, she eventually decided to stop drinking, and she paid the bartender and headed home. Drinking didn’t help her out, she just became more depressed. She entered her house and once again, silence. She trotted up to the couch and just sat there. She decided to go to bed, she trotted up to her room and went to sleep.

The following morning, she woke up and took some medicine so her headache would go away. She trotted downstairs and headed into the kitchen. She made herself a stack of Octavia’s infamous pancakes. Vinyl loved them; she would drown her pancakes with a lot of maple syrup. Octavia sat at the dining table. She was all alone. She then began seeing Vinyl across from her. Octavia rubbed her eyes and she saw no pony in front of her. She went back to finishing her pancakes; she put her plate and fork in the washing machine. She trotted back up to her room; she wanted to practice her cello. As she entered her room, the closet was calling her. She trotted toward the closet and opened the door. She began to tear up as she saw something that remembered her of Vinyl. It was an electric cello.


A couple months into their relationship Octavia and Vinyl moved in together. They were living in Octavia’s apartment. They shared the same bedroom. One day, Octavia had to perform at a private party hosted by Fancypants. Vinyl decided to stay home, she was bored. She went into their room. She saw Octavia’s prized Cello, which she practiced with. She wanted to see if she could play the cello. She grabbed the bow and started to play. All she heard was screeching noises, she was doing a horrible job at playing it. She decided play the cello faster, then she heard a huge crack. The cello broke into multiple pieces.

“What have I done! Octavia is going to murder me. I should try to put it back together.”

For the next couple of hours, she tried every method in Equestria to fix Octavia’s cello. She finally put it back together and hoped that it stayed together. Then she heard the door, Octavia finally arrived at her apartment.

“Vinyl, I’m home!”

Vinyl trotted into the living room, Octavia kissed Vinyl.

“Hey Tavy, how was the party?”

“It went well. Were you asleep?”

“Yes, I was so tired from last night. I think I pulled a muscle from partying too hard.”

“That sounds horrible, maybe I’ll give you a massage later. I think it’s just stress.”

“I guess…”

Octavia headed into their room, “Vinyl, I’ll be playing my cello, I know you love listening to me play!”

Vinyl was scared to enter the room, she knew Octavia was going to freak out when she finds out what she did to Octavia’s prized cello. She hears her playing their song, the song that Octavia played at the restaurant that one night. Vinyl then hears a hugs cracking sound coming from their room. The cello fell apart, Octavia was in tears, she grabbed every single piece she saw. Vinyl trotted into the room.

“I’m sorry Tavy, I thought I could be just like you and I ended up being a bit crazy. Tavy?”

“It’s okay…I’m going to fix you piece by piece. I just need to pick up every little piece.”

“Tavy? Do you forgive me?” She trotted up to Octavia and put her hoof around her.

“Vinyl, why didn’t you just tell me to teach you? Do you know how much this cello means to me? This was my very first cello that my parents bought me. It means the world to me and now you’ve destroyed it.”

“Tavy, I’m sorry…”

“Just leave me alone Vinyl…” She pushed Vinyl’s hoof off of her. Vinyl left the apartment in tears. She was hurt, she didn’t want to leave Octavia alone. She stopped and thought to herself.

There has to be a way for me to fix this.

Then an idea came into her head. She left the building and headed for the music store. She knew what would cheer her up. She pick the instrument, paid it, and was on her way back to the apartment. She entered the apartment and Octavia was sound asleep. Vinyl wanted to surprise her with what she just bought. She headed into their room and she quietly placed the instrument where Octavia’s prized cello was before and left the room. She slept on the couch knowing Octavia would just end up kicking her out.

The following morning, Octavia woke up, she trotted to the bathroom, she was getting ready to leave the house and search for a new cello. She trotted back into their room, she dropped her pink bowtie, she was amazed at what she saw. There was an electric cello placed where her old cello used to be. She always wanted an electric cello ever since she saw one of the others cellists playing it. She trotted downstairs; she went to the couch and hugged Vinyl. Vinyl woke up and saw the electric cello she had purchased for her.

“Vinyl, did you buy this for me? You know I’ve always wanted one of these.”

“I thought I should do something. I felt bad breaking your very first cello. I didn’t know you wanted an electric cello. I just bought it because I’ve never seen one.”

“I think I’m going to play it for you!”

“Before you start playing, do you forgive?”

“Of course Vinyl! That old cello meant a lot to me, but this new electric cello will have a special place in my heart. Thank you Vinyl. I love you!” Octavia kissed Vinyl one more time and she began to play her new cello.


She smiled; she loved the electric cello Vinyl had given her. It was one of the nicest gestures that Vinyl ever did in her life. She took it out from the closet and began to clean it. She hadn’t used it in months. After she finished cleaning she decided to switch it with her current cello. She grabbed her old cello and placed it in the closet. She hooked it up to an amp and began to play it. She loved the sound of it. She remembered all the times she would play for Vinyl. Vinyl loved the electric cello, she wanted to collaborate with Octavia, and she’d thought they made the greatest pair of musicians in Canterlot. She continued to play it throughout the night, some of the neighbors where annoyed by the cello, but she really didn’t care. She was playing for her friend, she hoped she had been listening to the beautiful music she was composing. She eventually stopped playing and went to sleep. She had been happy; she felt her friend was happy.

The following morning Octavia woke up, she was in a happier mood now than she had been the days before. She was getting ready to go back to rehearsing with her Orchestra. She packed up her electric cello and grabbed her coat. It had been a bit chilly that morning. She headed out to the rehearsals. She trotted into building; many of her colleagues were giving their condolences to Octavia. They knew how much Vinyl meant to Octavia. Octavia wept a bit, she was still grieving the death of her lover. She wiped her tears, and began to unpack her cello. Everypony was amazed at seeing Octavia’s electric cello. They couldn’t wait for Octavia to play it. Most of them haven’t heard of such an instrument. She plugged it into an amp and began to play. Her colleagues were speechless, they electric cello had a beautiful sound to it and they loved it. After she finished playing, the other cellists were jealous of her. They wanted an electric cello.

“So Octavia, did you buy this?” said one of the cellists.

“No, Vinyl gave it to me a long time ago. This cello means a lot to me.”

Octavia gave the other cellist a chance to play it, they’d loved the sound of it. She remembered the times Vinyl would use it, she was horrible at it but Octavia taught Vinyl everything she knew. As the other cellists continued to play her cello, she remembered a moment that she’d never forget.


Octavia had been sitting on the couch reading a book. Vinyl was out working for the night. She then received a phone call from Pinkie Pie. She hadn’t talk to her in years, ever since the party Fancypants had at the Canterlot gardens, they really hadn’t communicated.

“Hiya Octavia, is Vinyl there I have a huge favor for her. Well you as well.”

“Hey Pinkie, no, Vinyl’s out for the night, she had to perform tonight. What favor did you want from us?”

“I’m having this huge party in Ponyville, I was wondering if you and Vinyl would perform together. I bet you two sound amazing.”

“Well we have experimented before and it seemed okay. Are you sure you want us to play together?”

“Yes Octavia, I would love it if the two best musicians in Canterlot would collaborate together and make some awesome music.”

“Just because you’re my friend will do it, I’ll let Vinyl know when she gets here.”

“Okay dokie lokie! Well see ya at the party!”

“Bye Pinkie!” She hanged up the phone and went back to reading her book.

A few minutes passed, Vinyl opened the door, she hanged her coat and trotted over to Octavia and gave her a kissed. She laid on the couch and cuddled Octavia.

“Hey Vinyl! You’re in a good mood tonight! How was work?”

“It was good Tavy, people loved my music! How about yourself Tavy? How was your night?”

“Pretty good, I’ve been reading. Oh Vinyl, we have a party where we have to preform together.”

“Wait…WHAT!”

“You remember Pinkie Pie?”

“Yes I do, I haven’t talked to her in a while. What did she want?”

“She wanted us to perform at a party, together.”

“Wait, you mean we would …”

“Yes Vinyl, we have to perform together.”

“Awesome! I can’t wait. Are you going to use your electric cello?”

Octavia ran her hoof through Vinyl’s mane, “Well…I guess, I’ll use it since you’re going to be doing dubstep. They perfectly fit together.”

“Yes they do. So do you want to start practicing tomorrow? We’ve tried it in the past and failed epically.”

Octavia facehoofed, she recalled that moment. The neighbors hated it and yelled at them. Ever since then they hadn’t practiced. They only had a couple of weeks to make their music the best it could be.


By now it was time to head home. Octavia received a hug from everypony, they were really sorry for her loss. She packed up her electric cello and grabbed her coat and trotted home.

She arrived at her home; she placed her coat on the couch and dropped off her electric cello in her room. She headed into the kitchen, she made herself a sandwich. She ate it quietly, then she stopped, her flashback from earlier came back to her.


For the next few weeks Octavia and Vinyl practiced night and day. They were determined to play at the party. Since they majored in music, it was very easy to come up with ways for Octavia’s and Vinyl’s music to become into one single melody. At times they had arguments, but managed to sort them out.

The big day had arrived; Octavia and Vinyl packed up their equipment and headed to the Canterlot train station. They went on board, and were on their way to Ponyville. They were a bit nervous, they hadn’t played live ever. After a couple hours, they had arrived at Ponyville. They had both lived in Ponyville for a short time, so they knew everypony in town. At the station, they were greeted by the pink party pony.

“Hiya Vinyl and Octavia!” She hugged them both.

“Hi Pinkie Pie” said Octavia

“Hi Pinkie Pie!” Vinyl glomped Pinkie Pie, they hadn’t seen each other since the Royal Wedding between Princess Cadence and Shining Armor. Pinkie Pie hired Vinyl to DJ the reception.

“So let me show you where the party is going to be at.” Vinyl and Octavia followed Pinkie. They trotted for a while until they reached the Ponyville park. The stage was setup and it was ready for them to perform.

“So here we are, the party isn’t for a while so we could run a sound check. I’ll be back later.” Pinkie trotted off, she still had a ton of things to do before the party starts. Octavia and Vinyl stayed and setup their equipment. Octavia checked to make sure her cello was tuned right while Vinyl checked her turntable and made sure her bass cannon was working.
An hour had passed, and people started trotting into the park. Pinkie Pie had to invite the whole town as there were tons of ponies waiting for the two musicians to begin.

“Tavy, are you ready?”

“Yeah, you know I’m used to a crowd like this.”

“Well, here we go.”

Vinyl began with her regular intro, and she began to play dubstep. The crowd loved it, they danced to the music. Vinyl then gave Octavia the signal. She began to play her electric cello. The ponies were amazed at Octavia. Most of the ponies had never seen an electric cello, especially it being played live. They loved the mix of Vinyl’s signature song and Octavia’s electric cello. They kept playing; people wanted listen to more of their music. They had fallen in love with it.

They finished their performance, Octavia trotted over to where Vinyl had been DJing and she kissed her. The crowd loved it; they thought they were the cutest couple. Since they concert ended, everypony went back to enjoying the party. Pinkie Pie trotted over to Octavia and Vinyl.

“WOW, I’ve never been this speechless since Trixie removed my mouth. You gals did an amazing job. I didn’t think you were capable of doing such a thing.”

Octavia had been packing her cello, “We worked very hard on this. We’ve done this type of music in the past but we failed.”

“So are you gals going to stay for a bit? We would love it if you stayed!”

“Sorry Pinkie, but me and Tavy have to head home. We would love to stay, but our train ride is a couple of hours long. If we stay, we are going to be home tomorrow morning. We have a ton of things to do tomorrow.”

Octavia explained, “I’m sorry Pinkie, but we are some busy ponies. I was nice seeing you though. Maybe next time we are in town we could do something fun.”

“Okay…we then have a nice trip then!” Pinkie hugged Vinyl and then hugged Octavia next and went to party. Octavia and Vinyl had finished packing up and started heading towards the train station. They were satisfied with the duet they had just done. They wanted to do more of it. They loaded all of their equipment on the train and headed into their booth, They were on their way home, back to Canterlot.


It had been a great night for their relationship; they’d never been this close to each other than now. They lived happier than ever before. Octavia was crying, she was so happy, she realized that she was so happy being with Vinyl. Even though they were complete opposites, they were meant for each other. They had learned a lot about each other. From Vinyl teaching Octavia to learn how to DJ to Octavia teaching Vinyl how to play the cello. Octavia placed her plate in the sink and headed to Vinyl’s room. She hadn’t opened her room since she had passed. She pushed the door and saw Vinyl’s belongings. She sat on Vinyl’s bed; she would rarely use it since she would sleep in Octavia’s bed. She grabbed Vinyl’s glasses, she just stared at them, she remembered of the first time she saw Vinyl’s eyes for the first time. Octavia hated the glasses, she always asked Vinyl to take them off. She placed the glasses back on Vinyl’s night table where she would always place them. Octavia then trotted to Vinyl’s DJ setup, she placed her hoof on Vinyl’s turntable and spanned the controls. She loved messing with the controls; it would always piss off Vinyl. She finally stopped messing with the controls, after days of grieving her loss she finally realized something, she wanted Vinyl to be remembered but she just didn’t know how to do it. She decided to go to bed, and hoped for an idea to pop up. She walked into her room and lay on her bed and went to sleep.


A few weeks had passed, Octavia was back to normal. She had to adapt to a new life without Vinyl. It was very tough, she ate alone, and she had nopony to listen to her practice her cello. She started going back to rehearsals; she spent most of time practicing her cello. She wanted to continue being the best.

One day, Octavia arrived at rehearsals; everypony was formed in a circle around the conductor. He had some news for everybody.

“So it seems that we have been requested to play for the princesses once more. She has some special guest from Saddle Arabia. There is one small problem; we have an open slot for somepony to perform solo. So if any of you want to have that great honor please talk to me.” The conductor headed into his office. Octavia thought, This could be a way to remember Vinyl, I want the ponies to Equestria to remember Vinyl.

She trotted to the conductor’s office, she knocked on the door.

“Come in!” he yelled.

Octavia opened the door, “I wanted to ask you if I could do the solo for the upcoming concert.”

He asked Octavia, “Why do you want to do the solo?”

“I want to give my friend a proper goodbye; I want to do this for her. That’s all I ask for.”

“You really miss her don’t you? I’ll tell you what, if you play your electric cello for your solo, I’ll let you have the spotlight for her. Do we have a deal?”

Octavia thought about it, she really wanted to do this for Vinyl. She knew that wherever Vinyl would be, she would be listening. Then an idea came into her head, she wanted a vacant seat that would be reserved for Vinyl. She wanted for the crowd to know that Vinyl would be there in attendance.

“I’ll do it if you do something for me; I want a seat reserved for Vinyl. I want to know that this is for her..”

“Sure, so we have a deal?”

“Yes, we have a deal.” They shook hooves, and Octavia went back to practicing. She really wanted to make her solo memorable not only for herself but also for Vinyl. Octavia wanted to give Vinyl a proper final goodbye.


A few weeks had past and the big day had arrived. Everypony from Canterlot were in attendance. The Princesses and the delegates from Saddle Arabia were there as well. Octavia and the rest of the Orchestra played their sets and it was time for an intermission.

Octavia prepared her electric cello. She was making sure the cello was tuned right. The composer gave the signal to Octavia. She was ready to play her cello. She trotted onto the stage. She was ready, she wasn’t nervous. Before she began, she looked at the front row. There was an empty seat, it was for Vinyl. In Octavia’s mind, she saw her friend there. Octavia smiled, she saw her friend was sitting, Vinyl didn’t have her glasses on, Octavia smiled some more, she always loved looking at Vinyl’s beautiful magenta colored eyes. Everypony was amazed at the instrument she was holding. Ponies in Canterlot had never seen an electric cello. She began to play; she started off with some well-known pieces of classical music. The ponies in the crowd were amazed by Octavia’s skill. They loved the beautiful sound that was emitting from the instrument. She looked at Vinyl, she was smiling, she loved that Octavia was playing the cello she gave to her. She continued to play; the princesses and delegates were amazed. Then Octavia moved into a song she’d composed for this. She began to play the song that’d become Octavia’s and Vinyl’s song, the song was back from when Vinyl started to grow feelings for Octavia. Vinyl was cheering for Octavia, she was so proud of Octavia, she was in tears. Octavia smiled back at Vinyl and then a familiar song to Vinyl popped up. It was the song that Vinyl created for the party in Ponyville where Octavia and Vinyl collaborated and performed together. The crowd was confused but as they kept listening they enjoyed it. Octavia began to play her cello, she timed it perfectly. She was in perfect sync with Vinyl’s song. The crowd loved it; Octavia looked over at the empty seat and saw Vinyl was in tears. Vinyl was happy; she got to see her friend for a final time. She knew that Octavia did this for her, Octavia wanted to give her a proper goodbye.

The song ended and Octavia stopped playing, she bowed, the crowd stood up from their seats and clapped for Octavia. They crowd began to throw roses at the stage. Octavia was on top of the world at this point. Ponies would know of her, she would become a star. Octavia then saw Vinyl’s spirit, it started to head up into the night sky. Octavia waved at Vinyl, and she waved back. Octavia knew her mission was complete.

Everypony headed out and beagn to head to their homes. Octavia’s colleagues formed a circle around her. They wanted to know how she made such a great piece of music. She loved being appreciated. After answering their questions, she headed home.

She arrived at her home and opened her door. She turned on the light and headed into the kitchen. Octavia was in shock, she saw a vase full of roses in the middle of the dining table. There was a note in the roses. The note said, “To Octavia”. She grabbed it and opened it.

Octavia, I want to thank you for all that you’ve done for me. From helping me get through college, to even critiquing my music. I see you love the electric cello I gave you. You made me so proud of you. I hope you become the star you’ve always wanted to be. I love you Tavy. Hopefully one day you’ll join me so we could cuddle! Goodbye Tavy….

Octavia was crying, she was sad her friend wasn’t here with her. She was also happy; she knew how much she meant to Vinyl. She had made her proud; she smelled the roses and headed to bed. She knew she had a new life ahead of herself. She was so tired, before she was going to sleep, she whispered to Vinyl wherever she was.





I love you Vinyl…

Comments ( 14 )

:heart: so sad but cute

Masterfully done bravo!

Twas good. Sad and all. That letter...Kinda hurt it in my eyes though. The realism was just shot there. I can understand emotion induced hallucinations but that?

:applecry::applecry::raritycry::raritydespair::raritycry::raritydespair::fluttershysad::fluttershysad::fluttershysad::fluttershysad::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry: too freaking sad my fellow bronies

I love the story I was crying my eyes out

this is nothing but perfect , i enjoyed reading every word of it , i cried a bit at the end its just PERFECT!

oh god its such a good story but so sad :raritycry: why vinyl

Comment posted by SwallowtheWoodenToaster deleted Dec 10th, 2013

I could barely finish, I started crying......why Vinyl, why?! :raritycry::fluttercry:

Wow... i cryed and that is very rare 10/10

But really how did she die?

i have been reading fan fiction for over 15 years now and not once have i ever cried...till today. to top it off this is the first mlp fan fic i have ever read. congratulations on accomplishing something no one has ever done. :fluttercry::raritycry::pinkiesad2:

Hey, my feels!:raritycry:

I absolutely LOVED it!!! I was crying at the end because it was so well written and portrayed such vivid imagery about the events that were happening. Thank you for writing such a great story that I have had to immense pleasure to come across.

Login or register to comment