• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 6,068 Views, 209 Comments

An Unconventional Challenge - RaijingtheClockworkPony



Three friends make a bet. How badly could this go for them?

  • ...
17
 209
 6,068

The Bet

Another ordinary day in Ponyville, the autumn sun was shining down on the bustling streets, the ponies were busy with their day doing whatever it was they needed to do, and three stallions were sitting inside the local bakery, talking about their other three closest friends.

A stallion with a rainbow colored mane placed down his mug of cider. "I mean seriously when have we ever seen one of them with a stallion, or mare for that matter?"

The white stallion opposite of the rainbow stallion placed down his cup of tea. "Well... I can't say I have." He glanced over to the pink stallion that just joined them at the table. "Bubble! On your lunch break I assume?"

The pink pony sat down at the table. "Yup! What you two talking about?"

The white unicorn gave a small half shrug. "The same thing that Blitz has been going on about for the last week."

Bubble Berry gave a wide grin to Blitz. "AJ, Flutters, and Twilight? I was kinda thinking about them too, but my thoughts were about throwing an amazing party."

Blitz gave his wings a small flap. "Yeah. Seriously, why is it they haven't dated? I think it’s because they might think there's no stallion good enough." The unicorn gave a small chuckle. "What? Elusive, why are you chuckling like that?"

Elusive placed his cup back on the saucer. "Well I think the reason you are so bent out of shape over this is because you lack the ability to be that stallion, as it were."

The pegasus across from his rose in his seat slightly, his wings unfolding in indignation. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Elusive brushed a small portion of his mane out of his eyes. "Well, to be quite plain, I think you're mad because you think at least one of them should be heads over hooves for you and they're not. You lack the ability to 'charm the mares' as the phrase goes."

Blitz rose from his chair. "Oh really?" The fancy pony nodded with an amused smile. "And you think you have 'charm?'"

The unicorn picked the tea up once more. "My dear Blitz. I know I do."

The pegasus stood there for a moment fuming before he was struck by a brilliant idea. "Alright. Let's see you prove it."

The tea was almost to his lips when Elusive's eyebrows rose. "Pardon?"

The rainbow pegasus smiled mischievously. "I bet you that you can't get one of them to date you. I bet you they will shoot you down almost instantly."

Elusive placed the cup down with an annoyed look on his features. "If I must defend my honor then I will but I fail to see why I should be the only one participating in this bet actively. I say you should also have to woo one of the mares in question."

Bubble waved his hooves in the air. "Ooo! Ooo! Can I join in?"

Both of the stallions looked over at the pink pony and spoke the same question. "Why?"

He shrugged. "I dunno, sounds like fun."

Elusive and Blitz shared a confused look and shrugged. It was Bubble being Bubble. Elusive cleared his throat. "Very well, I think we should set up some ground rules then if we are going to do this." Blitz nodded as the mischievous smile returned. However Elusive sat there for a moment and a small frown came across his face. "No. We shouldn't do this. This is wrong and degrading to ourselves and our friends like this."

Blitz gave him a small sneer. "Knew it. You don't have any of that charm. You're scared that I'm right."

Elusive's ear twitched in anger. "Blitz this would be crossing a line. We can't do this sort of thing to our friends."

Blitz's voice gained a taunting tone. "Scared. S-C-A-R-E-D. You don't want to lose."

Elusive's hoof slammed on the table which drew attention form some of the nearby patrons. "I'll not be spoken to like that. I'll take this bet." He brushed his mane back and apologized to the other ponies nearby. "Very well. What exactly is it that this bet will entail?"

Blitz took a sip from his cider. "First one to get a date wins?"

Both Bubble and Elusive shook their heads. Elusive took a glance at Bubble wondering why he was shaking his head. Bubble gave him the answer. "That can't possibly work at all. I mean they are all different mares and that means that they might say no for different reasons. That would work if they were all the same mare but they’re not the same mare. Ooo we could take them to the mirror pool and make some clones... no wait, that didn't go to well when I did it."

Both of the other stallions at the table shared another look and a shrug. Elusive gave a small cough. "Bubble holds a point. Very blunt but it is a point. I think we should make the wager on who can have the longest lasting relationship. Last couple standing, if you will."

Both of the other stallions nodded. Elusive sighed. "I think if we are going to do this then we need some rules."

Blitz leaned back in his chair. "Rules?"

The unicorn nodded. "Yes. First: We won't interfere with each other. No trying to sabotage each other’s dates or attempt to make their relationship fail. Second: Well, I think it goes without saying that this stays between us."

Blitz nodded. "Alright. Now my favorite part of any wager." He rubbed his hooves together. "The winnings. If I win this then you two have to buy me a pair of VIP tickets to a Wonderbolt show. One for me and one for my date."

Elusive gave a small sigh. "Fair enough. If I win you two have to model for me for a week and the time table is to be set up by me and me alone." Blitz was about to protest but he lifted his hoof to silence the cyan flyer. "Either that or you have to babysit Sweetie Belle and her friends three times." The stallion across from him brought his hooves up in a passive gesture.

Blitz shook his head. "I think the modeling is just fine. Okay then." The flyer turned to the pink baker. "What about you?"

Bubble sat there for a moment. "Well... I want..." He tapped his hoof to his chin. "For you two to help me here for a whole day!" He made a grand gesture around the bakery. Again the unicorn and pegasus shared a confused look.

Blitz leaned forward in his seat a little. "Really? That's it?"

Bubble nodded, practically bouncing in place. "Just the three of us together for a whole day! Cooking and talking and hanging out all day. Won't that be fun?"

Both of the earth pony's friends gave him forced smiles and nodded. Blitz turned his attention from the now humming baker to the fashion minded unicorn. "So anyways how are we gonna split them? I mean we can't all try to date the same mare. Things could get awkward."

Elusive regained the annoyed look and glared at his friend. He did however see what the cyan pony meant. "Okay but I hate the term split. I think we should simply call it... random allocation." He noticed the blank looks on his friend’s faces. "Well, I think we should… ‘pick’ who dates who but I think we should make it random."

He opened a small saddle bag beside his seat and pulled out a drawing pad and a quill. He scribbled down the three names of his friends but as he did his mind drifted as he tore it into three even pieces. This isn't right. None of us should be even considering this. However a different portion of his mind defended the action they were taking. He infringed on my honor as a gentlecolt and I must defend myself. Besides what's the worst that could happen, we all fall madly in love and get married?

He gave a small chuckle as he laid the three pieces name-down on the table. He used his magic to shuffle them for roughly a minute. "Alright, in the name of fairness I'll let you two pick first. The name you pick is the mare you must attempt to woo. If this all goes south I hope all six of us will remain friends."

Blitz looked over to Bubble. "So how do you wanna decide this?"

Bubble shrugged and started eating a cupcake he produced from nowhere. "I dunno, you go first."

Blitz shrugged as well at the random nature of his friend. "Alright. Let's see." He studied the pieces of paper on the table for a moment. "That one."

He reached over and grabbed the piece of paper lying in the middle. He brought it up to is face so he could read it. He let out a small groan. "Twilight. It's gonna take a month for her to realize that I'm even hitting on her and another for her to decide if she will flirt back."

Elusive let out a amused chuckle and looked over to Berry. "Well, now it's your choice."

Bubble Berry looked between the papers with a look bordering on panic. He bit his lip and moved his hoof to hover over one piece than the other. "Oh, which one should I pick? What if I choose the wrong one and then they fall in love with me but I don't fall in love with them? Oooh, that means—"

Blitz let out an irritated groan. "Just choose one dude!"

Bubble closed his eyes and slapped his hoof down on one of the pieces. He lifted the paper to his eyes and a look of unbelievable relief and joy came across his face. "Fluttershy! We are gonna have such a great time together!"

Elusive picked up the last piece more for show than anything else as all three of them knew who was on the last piece. A small smirk took hold of his mouth. "And that leaves me with Applejack. Well gentlecolts the 'game' is afoot. Shall we say it begins first thing tomorrow or should we wait longer?"

Bubble shook his head. "Tomorrow is perfect for me. I have a day off." The white and pink stallions looked over to Blitz to see if he had any objection.

He sighed. "I'm gonna need as much time as I can get. Tomorrow it is. Let's seal this deal." He started to form a good spit wad in his mouth but felt his lips being forced shut by Elusive's magic.

He shook his head. "None of that. A good hoof shake is all that is needed. We are all stallions of our word." He held his hoofs out to each of his friends. Blitz took the hoof in his own grip and offered his free hoof to Bubble. Bubble was looking at the piece of paper he had grabbed like it was the single most amazing thing he had ever seen. He looked up and noticed their out stretched hooves, placed the paper on the end of his nose, and crossed his arms to grab his friend’s hooves. They all gave a single firm shake.

Bubble looked at each of them for a second with a knowing look. Blitz and Elusive sighed with a smile and spoke along with him.

"Cross my heart, hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye." With a small chorus of chuckle the group left the bakery, ready to begin the challenge that they had set up for themselves.