• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 2,352 Views, 58 Comments

Learning to Play the Lyra - Lynked



Lyra's a changeling, and poor Octavia is none the wiser.

  • ...
7
 58
 2,352

Chapter 1: Goodbye Sanity

Octavia enjoyed the rattle of the bench as it shook beneath her. Another train was passing by on the platform behind her, rumbling the ground with its locomotion. It was about time she had some time to herself, even if it was raining. And cold. And she was wet. And cold again. But despite it, she was alone in somewhat peace and quiet, if the rumble of the train could be ignored. At least there wasn’t a crowd.

She huffed, brushing a black lock of mane from her face and settling into the bench a bit more, thankful for the overhang that was deflecting the downpour. Celestia knew why the pegasi had scheduled it for today, but it had soaked her luggage, and that alone was enough to ruin her day.

Now her train was late. The clock on the station platform was ticking away steadily, its hands locked on eleven now. Lamps shone through the dark, illuminating the soaking tracks, the sparkling tile platform, and the ever obnoxious news vendor at the end of the station. Her pink eyes drifted to him, his dry stall, his little treats for the foals, and of course, his newspapers.

Her face was plastered on yet another one. Of course it was.

She breathed in and sighed heavily, standing up and giving her best attempt to wring the water from her mane, before trotting over to him. His stall was a bit warmer, thanks to the candles he had on either side, illuminating the glass casing in front which the newspapers were protected. Bending down, she inspected one, its large picture of her face, an expression of distaste and anger on it as she glared back at a peculiar mare, whose spiked mane and musical flank would tell any and all that she was none other than Vinyl Scratch.

In huge bold letters the paper advertised: Biggest breakup of the musical century: Octavia and Vinyl play their final crescendos.

Her lips curled into a snarl, but soon fell to a limp frown. She looked up to the salescolt, whose lips mocked hers with a smile. “How much for a paper?” she asked.

“Two bits, all things considered,” he said. Octavia eyed him over, frowning at his knowing smile. From her coin purse she pulled two shiny bits, tossed them on the table, and took the paper from him as he collected his money. She made her way to the bench, sitting down with a grunt and pulling the paper high. Might as well see what the paper has to say about it, she mused.

Octavia Philiharmonica and DJ Vinyl Scratch are possibly the most reknown couple in Canterlot. Their drinking sprees and music collabs, as well as their connection to their fans, have made them a favorite. But when Octavia’s drinking took a turn for the worse--

“I only had a few glasses of red wine,” she muttered, squinting to read the text. “With dinner.”

--it became clear that things would go south. She and Vinyl began arguing over music rights--Equestria Inquirer spoke to Pone-3 Records--and the music collaborations--

“Abominations.”

--ceased. According to Pone-3’s agent, Vinyl has kept all the rights to her songs, leaving Octavia reliant on her old works. But when, in a spree of anger, she crushed her cello, the pride instrument of the most famous musical mare of Canterlot, it crushed a lot more than a few strings and wood.

“Uncouth,” she growled. “I thought papers were meant to have some sort of moral standing...”

It crushed her career. Word has it nopony will hire the mare, and she’s fleeing to Ponyville to escape the bad press. Also, according to Vinyl, Octavia “smells like stale rosin.”

“That is a downright lie!” She slammed the paper down, then wadded it up and tossed it onto the tracks. As if by fate, the next train rumbled into the station, screeching along the tracks as it ground to a halt. The paper was now oblivion, as it should be. Octavia tilted her nose high and huffed, slinging her suitcase across her back in remembrance of her now non-existent cello.

A mustached stallion stepped out from one of the cars, looking to her, and the other few passengers who were also relocating to the middle of nowhere in the forsaken hour of the night. He smiled to them all a friendly smile and said, “Eleven o’clock to Ponyville. Tickets please.”

Octavia whipped out a ticket from her luggage, and the stallion took it in his magic. After making a small tear on its corner, he slid it back in her pocket, and stepped aside to let her aboard the train. She stepped on, a small smile creeping upon her face as a blast of warm air hit her through the doors. Even better, it was quieter aboard the train than it was the station. Every seat was empty, letting in unabated orange light. She took a deep breath, enjoying the warmth for a moment, before beginning down the rows to the midsection of the car. After slinging her luggage into an overhead compartment, she tucked herself into a seat and reclined.

It was, after all, a long night.

And tomorrow would be longer, she thought as she stared idly out the window. Ponyville was like hot against cold when compared to Canterlot, and it was certain a place that a pony such as herself would never go voluntarily.

The newspaper flashed in her mind again. She shuddered; voluntary was out of the question. If anything, this was her luck at its peak--not very high, of course-- and she’d be a fool to ignore it. Besides, getting out of Canterlot for a little while would be good for her complexion and health, right? Of course it would.

It was all thanks to her long time... friend. As the train jerked to life, the conductor shouting his final warning to absolutely nopony at all, Octavia’s mind wandered to her bag, where somewhere deep inside was a letter signed with a little hoof-drawn lyre.


Light. It was flittering in through the curtains, bouncing along the walls of the car and into Octavia’s head. She sat up and groaned, passing a quick, painful glance through the window; she’d slept all night. Sitting up, she arched her back and nearly yelped, easing up instantly. The ride left her sorer than she would’ve expected.

Wait. She turned to the window again, finding herself looking down upon a town from the cliffside. Ponyville, covered in the sun’s morning rays, sat quiet and quaint, waiting for her. Simple houses with simple gardens along simple streets simply watched her simply staring. This was her destination.

The light of day was sucked away as the train slipped through a tunnel, leaving her in momentary darkness, before blinding her again. She waved her hooves furiously in an attempt to shut the curtains, falling into the aisle as she did so. It took at least a good minute for her to blink out the whiteness and stand to her hooves again.

Soon enough, the train was grinding on its wheels. Octavia made quick work of her luggage, pulling it down and slinging it across her back, then looked to the doors. Through the window she saw the train ease into the station without strain. Many ponies were here waiting, possibly to get on, though perhaps one or two would meet the few ponies who’d taken the trip with Octavia.

She, however, didn’t see the mare she needed to meet. Amongst the sea of ponies there was no mint unicorn bouncing in place, as she’d expected. The doors slid apart with a hiss, letting the warm morning air flush into the cabin. Octavia breathed it in, treasuring the last bit of silence she’d have for a while. Then, she stepped out, into the sun, and through the ponies.

Quickly she went through the crowd, working her way between them as they all pushed against her to shuffle into the car. Eventually there was a staircase, and she soon found herself on solid, unshifting ground once more. Still no mint unicorn to steal the show. She sneered and huffed, and her belly rumbled in agreement.

This was no Canterlot, that was certain. No paved roads, they were all dirt. No sidewalks, because there were no carriages. The houses were all wood and thatch, and there was a faint smell of warm bread in the wind. That meant, of course, no audience, no parlours, no lounges, no restaurants, no nobles... nothing of importance. She swallowed and eyed the boring town over with an idle gaze.

Perhaps they banged sticks together for music, too.

“Well,” she muttered to herself as her eyes wandered around the town. “At least it’s quiet.”

And it was. Ponyville was... quiet. Simple and quiet, Octavia thought, with a root in rurality that made it almost innocent. The ponies here carried on with their days with smiles, chatting quietly to themselves, enjoying the quiet. Octavia let herself smile. Quiet would be good for her, especially since--

“Tavi!”

Her heart leapt and she scattered away, kicking up dirt with her hooves. Just behind her were a pair of sparkling amber eyes and a gleeful smile. Two firm hooves pressed against her cheeks and spun her around, bringing her face to face with Lyra, who then gave her a peck on the cheek and hugged her so tightly.

“Um, hello Lyra,” Octavia managed through the grasp.

“Tavi! By Celestia, I haven’t seen you in, what, a few years! It’s great that you took my invitation, we’ve so much to catch up on, and--” She paused to bury her nose deep into Octavia’s mane.

Octavia chuckled weakly. “Um, Lyra, what are you--”

“You smell strange.”

Octavia blinked. “W-what?”

“Like...” Lyra hummed. “Stale rosin.”

Octavia twitched. “Get off, if you please.”

“Okay!” Lyra released, backed up, and smiled wildy. “So, you must be hungry? I got some cake at home, and we can get some ice cream later if you want. Ooh, and you have to try the Apple Family cider. It’s top notch stuff.” She giggled.

Top notch. Visions of swirling red wine aged a century or so flashed in Octavia’s mind.

Cider: dirt in a cup.

“Right... can we please go... home?” The luggage on her back was beginning to weigh down on her sore spots, forcing her to shift on her hooves unsteadily.

Lyra gasped. “Of course! Let me take that from ya, looks heavy.” She gently lifted it from Octavia with her magic. “C’mon, my house is awesome. It’s tucked away in the niche over there. Well, you can’t see it from here, because of the station, but you know. Follow me.”

Without protest, but with a deep sigh, Octavia followed Lyra as they crossed the tracks. The train’s churning and huffing was soon left in the distance as they made their way down an empty street, then turned a corner. A peculiar building here caught Octavia’s eye; it looked like a cake. A big cake. Standing in the center of a large circular clearing was a cake.

“These ponies...”

“That’s Sugarcube Corner,” Lyra remarked. “Best cakes in Equestria. It’s where I got yours.”

Eloquent as she was, Octavia offered a smile to Lyra, who was scanning her face for approval. “That’s... sweet, but you didn’t have to go through the trouble.”

“Hah! Nonsense, when a good friend comes into town, it’s always my thing to do something for them. Besides, after what you’ve gone through, I thought you could use something sweet. Y’know, now that you’re single. And alone. And single.” Lyra turned away, presumably to smile to herself.

Octavia squinted, but strayed the conversation. “So then, your house. It’s... where?”

“Right off this road, down here.” They turned down a street. “See that one? That one right there? Yeah, that one’s mine. I know, she’s a beauty.”

It wasn’t much, Octavia noted. Just a straw thatch roof, two stories, a few windows and a balcony, but she’d never say anything to her hostess. Besides, it did look cozy, when she looked at it in a certain light. “It’s nice,” she said.

“Yeah, but wait ‘til you see the inside. Or don’t, actually, just come in.” Lyra pushed the door open, and ushered Octavia in with a quick slap to her haunch.

Struggling to keep her cheeks from flushing, she swallowed and stepped in. “Thank you. I admit, it’s rather homey here,” she said, looking over the room. In total, there was perhaps four pieces of furniture. A couch, two side tables, and a coffee table. A staircase cut up the back, and there was a doorway to what she presumed was the kitchen.

Which all meant this house was about as small as her Canterlot home’s dining room.

“So... have a seat, make yourself at home,” Lyra said with a wink, shutting the door behind her. Octavia was more than happy to oblige, drifting to and falling down on the soft, inviting couch. A thump from beside her was her luggage, she guessed, and she heard hoofsteps click into the kitchen as Lyra disappeared. Now, Octavia was alone. Finally.

With tenderness she rubbed her head, easing out an oncoming headache. The couch was softer than it seemed, parting for her aching back to sink deep into. Quiet was all around her. The house truly did have a nice, simplistic touch. A sigh slipped her lips as they eased into a smile. Eyes closed and breaths slow and steady, she enjoyed the warmth of the home she’d be staying in for her visit.

And Lyra was surely mature enough to not take things the wrong way, right? They were friends now, though perhaps Octavia could have stayed in contact more with her. It was rather uncouth of her to just leave. All in all, though, Lyra seemed happy to see her, and that was good.

For the first time in months, she felt truly relaxed.

Octavia~!

She jerked, snapping her head to the kitchen archway. The small hum of magic invaded her ears as a large, deliciously decorated cake floated out in a veil of green. Lyra followed in suite, a smile plastered on her face.

“Alright, so here’s the cake I said I got. See? Pink frosting, just like your bowtie, which is somewhere, right? I know you never leave it,” she rambled as she walked. “I bet it’s in your suitcase. So pink it was, and then I got this neat little topper for you that--”

Her eyes were focused intently on Octavia, who sank back a little. Of course, that could only mean one thing, and Octavia was well aware. “Lyra, perhaps you should--”

“Which is totally awesome,” she continued, stepping out of the kitchen. “I mean, when I found out that Sugarcube Corner actually had it, I almost flipped, I swear. And then that they could make this cake so soon, I mean--”

“Lyra, dear, eyes on your--”

“And I almost cried I was so excited. It’s been forever, and when you just left, I was so sad, so now that you’re here we can--”

Splat.

Her hooves fumbled over themselves and the cake hit the floor. Icing splashed into Lyra’s mane, and her eyes went wide. She seemed to be frozen, a statue of icing and cake.

It was quiet. A distant thrum echoed in Octavia’s ear to the beat of her heart. She watched, intently, waiting for Lyra to move. Nothing happened, not even the twitch of an eye. She simply sat there, frozen, mouth agape and eyes wide, staring at the pastry-caked floor.

Then, one, lone tear crept down Lyra’s cheek, in agony for the lost cake. It trickled down, hung on her chin, then dripped to the floor to morph with the late buttercream delicacy.

Octavia closed her eyes and conked her hoof to her face. “Oh dear Celestia.”