• Published 29th Nov 2012
  • 22,523 Views, 570 Comments

Maternal Instinct - Magic Man



Chrysalis has never been what most would call an 'ideal mother' to her only living daughter, the sickly Crown Princess Pupa. However, after a dreadful incident, the Changeling Queen is forced to confront her missteps as both a mother and a ruler.

  • ...
30
 570
 22,523

Chapter Six

Maternal Instinct

Chapter Six

King Cocoon Hospital was renowned as one of the finest, as well as oldest and expensive hospitals in the Changeling Kingdom. It was constructed two hundred years ago by the honourable intellectual King Cocoon II, one of many proud testaments to the wise King’s revival of the capital into a cleaner, wealthier and larger modern city, standing so tall it pierced the sky and became a permanent addition to the city skyline. It was originally built exclusively for the nobility and other “crème de la crème” (a phrase Princess Danauria often used) and as the centuries passed, it gained world recognition by its visit from world leaders including Diamond Dog presidents, Griffin Kaisers and even Princess Celestia, whom was said to have checked in years ago after picking up a stomach virus on a state visit, though it has never been officially confirmed. Nowadays, it found itself increasingly visited by the slow growing changeling middle class who could afford their fees.

Yet from the perspective of history students at home and abroad, the hospital’s true fame derived from its paying witness to numerous violent events from Changeling history. It was stormed and its supplies raided by frenzied citizens during violent riots triggered by the Great Famine. It was again stormed and occupied by Animalist rebels during the movement’s brief yet violent attempted revolution in the kingdom, who fought to the last changeling against the army, who in turn took the building back level-by-level in a matter of two days. When Prime Minister Mandible was being treated here for an eye infection, an unstable mental patient took a scalpel and fatally stabbed the stallion in the neck.

The staff and administration of this fine institution were trained to carry out their services and handle the worst case scenarios with the greatest integrity and professionalism possible. When they arrived to work that morning, they were expecting a relatively normal day ahead, them having to only deal with some arrogant, self-absorbed nouveaux riche at the very worst, silently tending to their needs while they prattled on about their five-star cruise around the Fillypines.

So you could just imagine the shock on their faces that night when the royal guards came barrelling through the entrance doors with so much force they sent them flying off their hinges.

Several nurses and patients gasped and screamed at the terrifying sight of dozens of armoured changelings storming into the hospital, all of them holding their spears up in an intimidating manner. It looked at first like they were being raided and some changelings dropped to the floor, their hooves flying over their heads and crying; a fear dispelled when a mare came flying through a clearing made by the guards, her kimono dripping green with blood and carrying a large, completely blood drenched bundle in her forelegs.

“Get a doctor! We need help!” Cerci cried, halting in front of a gathering crowd of nurses. “Please! Hurry!”

The nurses were at first stunned by the shocking scene developing all around them, but seeing the bloodied bundle in the mare’s legs, the size indicating straight away it was a child, their training kicked in and they surrounded Cerci, while others rushed to get a stretcher for the injured young one.

“Give us the child,” demanded one of the nurses, roughly snatching the bundle from Cerci’s shaking legs and setting it down on the stretcher. They hurriedly removed the bloodied cloths and when they finished, many of them gasped loudly, having to step back and make sure what they saw before them was real.

It was the Princess. Not just any one of the many princesses that made up half the royal family; this was the Princess, their future Queen, Pupa Roachanov. The nurses could make out her distinguishable features, however battered and bloody they were.

Few official photographs had been publicly released of the Crown Princess of the Changeling Kingdom, the ones that were mostly being from annual family photographs and the exceptionally rare public appearance. The Changeling royal family was never as public as their Equestrian counterparts, but even by their standards, Princess Pupa was a figure of mystery to the world outside the palace walls. To see her up-close and in person was already extremely rare, but to see her as she was now, then it did not matter how much training these nurses had; nothing could have prepared them for this.

Princess Pupa’s body was almost completely painted in green, save for the occasional grey patch that was quickly turning into a sickly white, like a bloated dead fish, the more blood she lost. The two gashes on her head were badly wrapped up to in an effort to stem the bleeding, but they were clearly not working. There were signs of life from the filly; her laboured breathing, movement behind her shut eyes and the occasional twitch of one of her legs.

“Stand aside! Let me through!” a middle-aged, sharply dressed doctor scuttled through the crowd of nurses, who were swarming around Pupa’s stretcher. He adjusted his glasses and looked her over carefully and like his co-workers, recognized her immediately. “My gods...” He snapped his head at Cerci. “What happened to her? Quickly, tell me!”

Cerci knew she was forbidden from telling them the truth and the consequences if she did. “There… there was an accident!” she stammered. “She’s got gashes on her head! She’s lost so much blood! P-Please, just help her!”

Although the doctor did not seem entirely satisfied with this answer, time was a serious factor. He glared at two orderlies in the crowd and barked, “Do not just stand around! Get the Princess into A&E! We must treat the wounds and prepare her for a blood transfusion! GO! GO!”

In an instant, the orderlies and nurses got around the stretcher and hauled it as fast they could, out through the double doors leading to A&E, the doctor following after them. Cerci watched as they disappeared behind the swinging doors, wanting earnestly to chase after them and be with her little one, but she was stopped by the remaining nurses.

“We’re sorry, but you must stay here."

“Please, I’m the Princess’ carer! She’s just a filly; I have to be with her!”

“I understand, but only members of staff are allowed past this point.”

The insectoid mare felt her veins pump with fury. “How dare you! I work directly for the royal family! Now let me through! She needs me!”

“Madame, please, calm down.”

“Calm?! You want me to be calm?!” Cerci was now screaming in the nurses’ faces, her horn glowing threateningly, looking ready to blast a hole right through one of them. “I’ll show you bucking calm!”

She felt a firm hoof over her shoulder and forcibly pulled her away from the frightened nurses, another hoof covering her mouth. It was a guard, his dark purple armour indicating a higher rank than the others.

“Cerci, enough!” he grunted as he took her kicking and squirming aside. “This won’t help anything!”

“No!”

Fresh hot tears were trickling out the corners of Cerci’s eyes, her composure collapsing like a fragile tower of cards. She kept kicking and screaming at him to let her go, but he only tightened his grip. When she finally stopped resisting, he released her and let her drop to the floor in a sobbing wreck.

The guard rolled his eyes in disgust and gave one of the nurses a look telling her to tend to her. The nurse reluctantly broke away from the group, went over to help Cerci up to her hooves and led the distraught mare away in the direction of the canteen.

‘Damn mares.’

“Lieutenant.”

That harsh, baritone voice caused the guard to turn around and saw a much taller, huskier guard marching through the destroyed entrance and, the guards’ clearing while every guard in the room stood at attention upon his arrival. He was covered head to tail in large, yet not clunking purple armour emblazoned with intricate golden patterns. Over one eye he wore a black patch and down the other side of his face from the brow to across the cheek was a large white scar.

“Captain Beetle, sir,” he said, bowing before the veteran, seasoned Captain of the royal guard, who bowed in return.

“Has the area been secured?” his deep, gravelling voice carried with it the kind of imposing authority expected from the royal guard. When he spoke, every guard stood at attention, ready to take their orders.

“Yes, sir.”

“And the Princess?”

“They have taken her in for treatment. I… do not know anything on her condition.”

“Very well,” the Captain took out a small scroll and gave it to the lieutenant. “I have new orders for you and your fellow guards.”

The Lieutenant read the scroll carefully. He raised an eyebrow, asking, “Are we permitted to use force?”

The Captain waved his hoof indifferently. “If you think they are a journalist, do as you see fit. I am sure I do not need to explain to you how much the palace wants this whole affair strictly under wraps. Now, excuse me for I must speak to the doctor. But…” He began to walk away from him, but momentarily stopped to lean close and whisper sternly in his ear, “... try to avoid killing anychangeling this time. Now go.”

The two guards bowed each to each other again and the Lieutenant, a sinister grin working its way onto his mouth, made his way out of the room, signalling on the way a group of guards who followed after him.

Captain Beetle stood around for the next ten minutes, waiting for the doctor to return. A nurse came up to him, asking if he needed anything, and he asked for a coffee. She went off to get it for him, and though he stood still and kept a blank face, he made sure he got a good long look at her fine, tight rump out the corner of his eye.

“Captain Beetle.”

He looked behind and saw the doctor entering through the double door and the two bowed to each other. The doctor had small blood splatters on his pristine white coat, but his demeanour remained calm and collected. He had obviously been in the profession for so many years now that the sight of blood, regardless of whose, no longer fazed him. In a way, that was something the two changeling stallions shared.

“What is the news, doctor? But spare me the technospeak. Keep it short and straight.”

“Fair enough,” the doctor sighed, and magicked a clipboard before his vision. “Straight up, not good. Not good at all. The Princess has sustained severe injuries and has lost a lot of blood. We may very well need donations.”

“Isn’t that what you have reserves for? I thought you had tones in the freezer from the royals.”

“We can only store blood for a certain amount of time, Captain. We need fresh blood.”

He looked down on him, unimpressed. “Then you’ll be glad to know the Queen is on her way to the hospital, this moment. You’ll have all the blue blood you want.”

“Excellent,” said the doctor, taking down some notes. “We’ll prepare for the procedure.”

The same nurse from earlier returned with Beetle’s coffee, which the Captain drank slowly so he did not scold his tongue. He then looked around, getting an understanding of those who were within earshot.

“Doctor…” Beetle said, lowering his voice as he took the doctor aside. “Between you and I, what is your opinion, in terms of chances?”

“You mean the Princess?”

“Yes.”

His professional facade began to show cracks for the first time as he sighed heavily, “Nothing can be said for certain at this time, Captain. We’ve only just taken her in, and like I said, her injuries are severe. We have her stabilized but she…” He bit down on his lip, as if fear was preventing him from saying anything else. “We will discuss the rest with the royal family. Strictly hospital policy, I’m sure you understand.”

“Fine,” the Captain grumbled, turning around to leave the lobby. “I will go and prepare for Her Majesty’s arrival--what? Ugh!” He looked down and stepped back in disgust when he saw he had stepped in a large puddle of blood. Normally, it would not have bothered him, except here he had a good idea whose it was. “For the love of the Kami… doctor!”

“You two!” He barked at the two nearest orderlies. “Clean this up before the Queen arrives!”

Both orderlies got right to work, using chemical sprays and wet cloths. But no matter how hard they tried, the drying stains proved difficult to remove, especially where they had sunken into the cracks of the pearly white floor tiles.

The double doors flew open, and a nurse stuck head out, looking flustered and beckoning the changeling in the white coat, “Doctor, quick! We need your help! It’s an emergency!”

“Pardon me, Captain,” the doctor groaned, shoulders slumped and bowing to the Captain. “Duty calls.” With that, he marched out of the lobby and through the doors to deal with whomever’s life depended on his rare and valued skills.


She was drowning in an endless sea of darkness, too weak and crushed under its weight to kick her little legs. She could see nothing but the darkness. Her ears felt like they were filled with water, muffling out the sounds she could best identify as other changelings talking, but. The strangest thing was she could definitely feel something. Something invisible caressing her in a warm, soothing embrace.

She had never felt this way before. She did not wonder where she was or whether something was wrong, she just felt so peaceful.

A glow appeared all of a sudden in the darkness. It looked like the tiny flicker of a bedside candle light, slowly growing brighter. The more she stared at it, the more relaxed she became, and the muffled sounds and the soft caress began to fade.

Then all of a sudden, the glow changed a bright white, flashing over her eyes again and again. Something tight and uncomfortable formed around her chest and legs, much unlike the caress she enjoyed so much. The sound in her ears began to grow, this time clearer and more distressed.

Still, she understood not what was happening or if she was in trouble, until something cold pressed against her lips, and a gush of air blew down her throat, and she knew no more…


For the nurses of King Cocoon Hospital, the sight of the battered and bleeding body of the mysterious Princess Pupa would be enough to make them to do a double take or think they needed an eye check-up at the very best. But to see the Queen, their supreme leader and the face of their nation and their species, slumped down ungracefully in a chair, her legs and kimono smeared with blood, and wearing an expression that read positively catatonic would make them question whether they had completely lost their minds.

Yet there she was, sitting there in the lobby, encircled by Captain Beetle and a platoon of guards to make sure she was safe. Her sister, Princess Danauria was sitting there by her side, doing whatever she could to comfort the older sister, who just kept shrugging her off. The skeletal Princess looked distraught as well; she had already badly chewed on her freshly done hooves and her makeup had started running down her cheeks.

Chrysalis silently stared down into the piping cup of tea one of the nurses gave her. She got a look at her reflection: she was a bedraggled mess. Wet locks of her cerulean mane were still clung to her sore, tear drenched face. Her skin was paled from the blood she had just donated to her poor filly. She forced the cup to her lips and took a draught, the contents slightly scorching the inside of her mouth.

“Your Majesty,” Dr Kemushi, the mare head doctor of the hospital who stood over her spoke calmly, but with a degree of nervousness tinting her words. “Your daughter has been stabilized and we are treating and disinfecting her wounds, but she still remains unconscious. It was a good thing she was brought here when she was, otherwise I don’t think she would have been so lucky.”

“Will she be alright?” Danauria asked on her sister’s behalf.

“If all goes well, she should pull through.” A look of dread came over her face, indicating she knew how the next bit of news would not be well received by the royal pair. “But we can’t yet be sure the extent of internal damage, especially to the brain.”

Brain damage. The prospect her baby was going to be even more permanently damaged than she already was shook the war hardened Changeling Queen’s foundations. She looked down and closed her eyes, fresh tears she had been fighting to hold back now streaming silently down her face. She felt her stomach lurch, like she was going to be sick.

“YOU!”

She recognized that voice. She opened her eyes and looked up just in time to see Cerci leap through the wall of guards and punch her as hard as she could across the face. The others gasped, horrified as the sheer blow sent their Queen to the floor, wailing and holding her face in pain.

“MONSTER! YOU MONSTER!” The nanny, or rather former nanny, screamed in an unbridled rage and leaped at Chrysalis, using whatever energy she had left from this horrible night to thrash the Queen who had hurt the one she loved the most, punching her, scratching her and pulling at her mane. “I’LL KILL YOU!”

“Get her off me! Get her off!” Chrysalis screamed, struggling to throw off the murderous mare. The guards and Danauria were already on her and eventually managed to pry her off their Queen. Chrysalis crawled back, trembling like a whipped dog, trying to get as far away from this mad mare as she could.

“How could you? How could you?! She’s your daughter! And you-- you MAULED her! You-- get your hooves off me!” Cerci flailed wildly in the guards’ grasp, her lashing and kicking now directed at them. One guard got a swift kick to the jaw and Beetle received a mouthful of spit in his face. She was a much stronger mare than she appeared. She continued shouting at the Queen, “She loves you! How could you do this to your own filly?!” At that moment, Chrysalis saw in her eyes the murderous fury she herself had displayed less than an hour ago. “Pupa could DIE because of YOU!”

Chrysalis looked up pitifully at the servant whom she had abused on a daily basis, struggling and screaming profanities at her, too shaken and overwhelmed by everything that had happened. On any other night, she would have had Cerci executed on the spot, but tonight… she knew she had no right, nor could she expect her to give quarter. She had enacted enough wanton cruelty for one night. Chrysalis actually felt like wanting to comfort the mare. She understood her genuine care for Pupa, something she had shown throughout the latter’s brief life; Cerci was showing the raw anger and grief only the mother of an injured filly could possibly feel.

“You filthy peasant!” Danauria snapped outraged, stepping forward and giving Cerci a vicious slap. “How dare you lay a hoof on my sister! Your Queen! And you have the GALL to accuse her--!”

“Yes she did, you stuck-up COW!” She spat, getting right in the gaudy Princess’ face, their horns scraping and teeth bared to the gums. She pointed at the emotionally wrecked Queen on the floor. “You did this to her! YOU’VE KILLED HER!”

“LIAR!”

By now, Cerci had broken free of the guards and she and Danauria were clawing at each other in a wild foray like two savage harpies. It took half a dozen guards and the orderlies to finally separate the two, both of whom had their share of cuts and scratches. One orderly took a small syringe and injected it into Cerci’s neck.

“NO! LET ME GO! SHE KILLED HER! SHE KILLED MY BABY!” Cerci wailed, tears pouring uncontrollably and her body going limp as the guards carried her away and out of sight.

“ARREST HER!” Danauria yelled at the guards, restrained only by two exceptionally strong orderlies. Her attention then turned to her sister, who pulled herself to her weak, shaking legs, back arched and head held low. “Sister! Are you alright?”

“I’m alright,” Chrysalis grunted quietly, holding her throbbing jaw and spitting out some blood and spittle. Cerci certainly had one mean left hook. “I think she may’ve broken my jaw.” That or she chipped a tooth.

Danauria wrapped her forelegs around her sister and pulled her into a hug, only now Chrysalis did not resist her. Right now, she could use some sisterly comfort, even if she did not deserve it.

“Don’t worry,” she hushed, stroking her mane. “I’ll see to it the little peasant is punished.”

“No,” Chrysalis said firmly, pulling away from her. She stammered, "N-No, Danauria. She’s upset.” She turned away, not bearing to look her in the face. “She has every right to be...”

The younger sister could not believe her ears. “Chrysalis, she punched you! You’re the Queen--”

“And maybe I deserved it!”

“Are you even listening to yourself?! That crazy mare said you... that you...” Danauria trailed off midsentence as she took time to process what Cerci said and the look of utter shame that became increasingly visible on her sister’s face. “Sister, you would never do such a thing…" Chrysalis turned her head away again, trying to avert her gaze. The younger sister pulled her back, looking pleadingly into her large, harlequin eyes. "Chrysalis, please, tell me you didn’t--”

“I’m so sorry, Daury.”

Not waiting for her to respond, Chrysalis stepped away from her sister and slowly trekked her way out of the lobby, the sense of guilt and self-loathing hanging over the now broken monarch. Danauria wanted to go after her, but Beetle put a hoof on her shoulder, shaking his head. Only a small group of guards followed after the Queen, only for the sake of protocol.

A dreadful silence filled the lobby. You could literally hear the tiniest of pins clatter against the tiles.

Danauria did not know what to do, what to say. She was still having trouble taking this all in. When she saw Pupa being carried out of the palace, bleeding to death and with the appearance of having been crushed like a cockroach by a large rock, she screamed and would have flown her to the hospital herself if not for Cerci keeping the filly firmly in her legs and beating off anychangeling who tried to take her from her.

The thought that Chrysalis, her beloved older sister, even with her horrid temperament and tendency to act irrationally, could do that to her most favourite niece…

If the things that Cerci said were true, Danauria would surely die on the inside.

“Your Highness, is there anything we can do?” Beetle asked apprehensively, walking up behind her. Danauria looked back at him, and she leaped into the behemoth guard’s legs, permitting a tidal wave of emotions pour into his chest.

Inwardly, Beetle groaned. He did not become captain of the royal guard for this.


“Hmmm.”

Discord lowered his chocolate milked-filled champagne goblet in his eagle claw, his feral yellow eyes firmly shut and frowning supposedly in deep thought. He sat back in his extensively tall throne in his castle throne room, pulling his goat leg over his lizard one.

The yellow pegasi sitting next to him noticed his sudden change in demeanour.

“What… what is it?” she stammered.

He opened his eyes and clicked his tongue, “That’s odd.”

“What is?”

“Trouble’s a brewing in the East,” he stated simply, taking another overly sophisticated sip of his drink. “Be a dear and contact Canterlot castle for me, Fluttershy. Use that little dragon speed dial you and your friends use. I think I need to talk with dear old Princess Celestia.”

“O… okay.” Fluttershy arose from her seat and instead of worming her way through the sea of partying guests, went out through the back door in search of Spike.

Discord released his goblet, letting it hang in mid-air for a moment. He clapped his paw and claw and a gargoyle's mouth, situated above his throne to the left, opened up and a stream of chocolate milk poured down into the glass, not spilling a single drop.

“Oh, DJ?” He spoke, retaking his goblet and holding it up high. “Let’s crank it up, shall we? I can barely feel my throne shake.”