• Published 29th Nov 2012
  • 1,656 Views, 7 Comments

Battalion of Harmony - mcb893



The aliens attacking Earth have arrived in Equestria, causing destruction and bloodshed.

  • ...
4
 7
 1,656

1. Human Contact

Three Years After the Events of "Guardians of the Elements of Harmony"...

Moore pointed his weapon forward, moving silently through the trees. Behind him were Jack, Jacob, and Frank, all three of them training their weapons forward. Over the past three years, their duty to protect Equestria hadn't ended, even with the defeat of the Chaos Bringers. Even then, Griffons, winged beasts that seemed to have growing hostilities with the ponies, changelings, shape shifting equines that despised them, and an assortment of wild beasts still plagued the pony kind. For the most part, the Griffons and Changelings stayed away from ponies, after one unified attack on a town ended in numerous dead. Three days ago, however, a disturbance was detected in the Everfree forest, somewhat like the ones when the Rangers first arrived. However, instead of a white flash, this was more of a sudden burst of light, not a steady growth. A team of Guards and SRTF troops were sent to investigate, but never reported back. Princess Luna, of course, had become worried sick after the first two days, but Princess Celestia remained hopeful until the third day, when she too became worried. Not wanting to risk more lost troops, she sent in them, not because they were expendable (they by no means were), but because they were the best they had to offer. If anyone could get to the bottom of what was happening, and get those ponies back safely, it was Moore and his team. Of course, they hadn't gone alone, Rainbow's SRTF team had also been commissioned, and were not far behind them. Jessica had stayed back, volunteering to keep the ponies safe while the Rangers were away. Derek was still with them, but had set up camp a few miles back, providing overwatch from a ridge he had found. A new scope created from the magic of the unicorns allowed him to magically see through trees, although he could still see the outlines of them. Moore couldn't get over just how well these ponies had managed to adapt to war after their initial shock.

"Heads up, I got movement to the north." Jack said from behind. Moore looked over to him, seeing him crouched down and looking left. His weapon rested on his shoulder, still pointing forward, ready for whatever may be coming. Moore nodded and crouched down as well, ordering Frank and Jacob to follow suit.

"Papa Eagle, confirm visual on your scope, over." Moore said as he checked his weapon. Surely enough, he had one bullet ready to go in the chamber. Even with his training and experience, he was always careful to keep an eye on his ammo. It kept him alive. If he didn't keep these routines in check, he would probably be dead by now. He pointed his gun at the direction Jack had specified, aiming down his sights.

"Negative Alpha, I have zero visual on tangos. All I see is you and a couple of birds. Over." Connors said as Rainbow and her team had caught up to them. The SRTF armor had changed in the past three years, now becoming made of a lighter, more maneuverable protective plating, similar to kevlar. However, their armor was not made to stop bullets, instead focusing on slashing wounds and stabbing wounds. As they were constantly on the front lines, in front of Moore and his team. Of course, this fact also made it clear that while the Rangers were good shots, every once in a while, they would make a wrong shot, nearly hitting a pony. So the development for a bullet proof version of the armor was created, and was produced not long after. The armor still wasn't as good at stopping bullets as kevlar, but it was a start.

"Miss anything?" Rainbow asked as she went into a staling position, facing the same position as the Rangers. Her team quickly followed suit, making sure to stay behind her. Her team consisted of three stallions and two mares, each of them following the same position of Rainbow. Moore shook his head.

"Don't know yet, Jack saw something but Derek can't find out what's there." He said as he shifted his weight, gaining a few cracks of sticks and twigs from below.

"I copy your last Papa Eagle, we're going to proceed forward. Keep your eyes open and call out anything that seems out of the ordinary, over." Moore said as he motioned for his team and Rainbow to get up, and proceed with caution.

"Roger that Alpha. I have visual on you. Stay frosty." Connors said into the radio. Moore stood up, and pointed his rifle forward.

"Copy that. Out." Moore said as he moved along, checking several different parts of the forest. Behind him, his troops remained vigilant, making sure to keep an eye out for what may be lurking in the shadows. Radio contact with the team that went in before went down, even after heading to their previous whereabouts before going MIA. Moore had a bad feeling that something terrible had happened to them, and couldn't help but feel responsible. Even if it wasn't his fault, he still felt like it was. Probably just the fact he was the first guardian, and therefore he felt the most responsibility. Looking back over to his right, he observed the deep, dark shades of green in the forest, where a few different types of wildlife were swinging from the trees, and or carefully watching the squads that intruded on their domain. Nothing severely dangerous, but it still was enough to remind Moore that more than just that may be lurking in the shadows.

"Man it's hot in this forest. What I wouldn't give for a cold bottle of water right now." Frank said. Moore turned to face him, seeing him wipe his forehead, relieving the large amounts of sweat that had accumulated there.

"You have a water bottle with you don't you?" Moore said with a raised eyebrow. Frank chuckled.

"I said a COLD bottle." He said while emphasizing on the cold part. Moore smiled and shook his head, moving back to the task at hand.

"Won't take long Frank. Soon we'll be back and you can have all the cold water you want." Jacob said with a reassuring nod.

"I hear that." Jack said with chuckle in his voice. Rainbow looked up to Moore, raising an eyebrow.

"Aren't you guys supposed to be able to work without that much water, or something?" She asked with a confused tone. Moore shook his head.

"We're not thirsty, we're hot." He said, clearing things up for the mare. Rainbow gave an acknowledged nod and followed him, making sure to keep her eyes trained forward. Moore had to admire how much Rainbow had matured over the past two years, becoming a battle hardened soldier did that to you. She was still her happy, fun loving self, but she had lost her careless nature. Sure she was still a daredevil, but now she was more aware of consequences of her actions.

"Alpha, this is Papa Eagle, I'm detecting heat signatures from my radar, but I still can't see what it is. It's to the west of your current position, over." Moore heard from his radio. He held up a fist, ordering his troops to halt. The cracking of sticks and twigs came to a stop, as the Rangers and SRTF troops froze in place, bringing their weapons forward. The SRTF members readied themselves, going into an aggressive stance, leaving them ready to pounce with large force. Moore looked to the west, and stood with his weapon trained on it's position. He was about to say something when he heard the sudden words:

"Don't move."

...

The voice was unfamiliar, and was clearly meant to be threatening, and by all means was. Moore turned to face his attackers, sure that they were the source of the attack. What he found instead, left him frozen in a combat stance. Standing in front of him were four men in black suits, three with gas masks on. The fourth one, who was pointing a handgun at Rainbow Dash, was instead wearing a ghille suit, allowing Moore to see his eyes, which were a mix of anger and uncertainty. A fifth one, also in a ghille suit, was carrying an unconscious, clearly injured one on his shoulders, but he was wearing a pilot outfit. Moore stepped back, shocked to see more humans. How were they here? Any human arrivals in Equestria were being monitored, that way they could be tacked down and brought to safety. How had they not found them?

"I said don't move. Don't make me pull this trigger." One with an M4 said. From his accent, it was clear that these men were from the UK, although this man in particular had an English accent. The other two, one carry a shotgun, and the other carry what was clearly an MP5, stepped forward with the other one, aiming their weapons at the Rangers. Moore kept his own weapon trained on the hostiles, making sure to keep himself calm. Their serious nature suddenly made him realize that these guys were SAS operators. Moore relaxed slightly, and loosened his grip slightly.

"We're not here to hurt you." He said calmly. The one with the shotgun stepped forward again.

"Is that why you've been following us with those weapons for the past fifteen minutes?" He said angrily. Frank stepped forward as well, causing the soldier with the shotgun to point his weapon at him.

"We're not carrying these things because of you dirt bag. We didn't even know you were here." He said back to the soldier. The SAS operator pumped his shotgun, causing Jack to step forward, and angrily glare at the soldier.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." He said, his voice growing deeper than usual. The SAS operator with an MP5 pointed his weapon at him in turn, while the first one kept his weapon trained on Moore. Moore tightened his grip again, pointing his gun at the SAS trooper. The second ghille suited soldier looked over to the first one.

"We can't risk a firefight, not with Bloodhound KO'd like this." He said with authority in his voice. This one had a thick Scottish accent, unlike the first two soldiers Moore had heard speak. The first ghille suited soldier turned to face him, but the one pointing his weapon at Moore turned his head to face him.

"Shut up Kestrel, I didn't ask for your input. When I need help from the FNG, I'll ask for help from the FNG." He said angrily. Focusing his view back on Moore, the soldier stepped forward slightly, staring at Moore from beyond the lens of his mask.

"Who in the bloody heck are you?" He asked with a growl in his voice. Moore glared at him, keeping his gaze and aim fixed on the soldier's head, just in case a firefight did ensue.

"I could ask you the same question." Moore said with grit teeth. Rainbow stepped forward now, only for the one with a handgun to aim his gun at her again.

"Listen here bub, I don't know who you think you are just pointing those at us, but you better get out of here. Or we will kick you flanks." She said angrily. The first one pointed his M4 at her, clearly freaked out by his discovery of her ability to speak.

"Bloody heck... Things just go from bad to worse..." The one with the MP5 said as he moved his aim from Moore to Jack, Jacob, Frank, and Rainbow. The first one once again aimed at Moore, his mask still making him appear as serious as possible.

"Just answer the stinkin' question. Who in God's name are you yanks?" He asked with the same hostility in his voice as before. Moore grit his teeth, starting to get angry at the man in front of him. All he had done was pester him with mistrust and anger since he found him, not even trying to be civil about all of this. Still, things weren't going to get better if they just kept shouting at each other.

"I'm Staff Sergeant John Moore, 1st Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment. The men with me are Corporal Jacob Hans, Corporal Frank Barns, and Specialist Jack Adams. The pony you are pointing your gun at it Sergeant Rainbow Dash, and if you don't point your weapon away from her, I'll fill your guts with lead faster than you can even blink." He said with a growl in his voice. Moore didn't care about what this guy thought of him right now, if they so much as even shot at Rainbow, he was going to kill them. Even if they were his own race. The SAS operator turned to the one with a ghille suit, and nodded. He nodded back and pointed his weapon as Jack now, still keeping his angry look.

"Our turn, who are you guys?" Moore asked, moving closer to them now.

"Uh... Alpha..." He heard Connors say. He seemed frightened, but he didn't care.

"Not now Connors!" He whispered into his radio. Keeping his weapon up, he looked back at the soldiers in front of him, while Jack looked to his right.

"SAS team Sierra-Echo from the 22nd Regiment. I'm callsign "Predator". The man with an MP5 is callsign "Swift". The one with the Spas is callsign "Apex". Our sniper is "Archer", and his spotter, "Kestrel", is carrying Bloodhound on his shoulders." The first SAS operator said bluntly. There was no emotion in his voice, just mistrust. Clearly these SAS troops didn't trust Moore enough to even give him their actual names, not that Moore cared right now.

"John!" Connors said into his radio, a bit more assertive this time. Moore told him to quiet down again, and focused his aim on the SAS soldiers.

"How did you get here?" He asked, his voice still coated with anger.

"We were chasing some teleporting alien aircraft when an EMP went off. Landed us in this hell hole." He said angrily. Moore lowered his weapon slightly, his eyes growing wide. The aliens? The war was still going on? How could this be right? More importantly, if the men who were chasing the aircraft... Did that mean...

"JOHN! IT'S THEM! THEY'RE HERE IN EQUESTRIA!" Connors shouted in distress. That's when Moore heard the gunshots.