• Published 28th Nov 2012
  • 9,178 Views, 766 Comments

The Mute Octave - HenryAnthonyCourtler



What happens when a mute man makes friends with the most interesting of musicians?

  • ...
50
 766
 9,178

S2 Episode 3: Cold Play, Hard Work

Chapter 3: Cold Play, Hot Work

As Henry drove up the long hill to school, Octavia nervously shifted in her seat. “Oh, I hope the courses aren’t too hard... Are the teachers nice?”

Henry shrugged slightly before patting her shoulder. They pulled into the college’s parking lot and got out of the car. Walking into the building’s main entrance, the two of them passed by a small area with a few vending machines, a lounge area, and the reception counter, before finally reaching a classroom near the back. Of course, this being the music hall, the building was smaller than the others nearby.

Octavia walked into the room. Desks and tables were scattered around the room like wind-blown leaves but most of the area was cleared. Most likely for the convenience of students who wished to practice before or after class. The teacher was an elderly looking lady with a gentle face but carried an air of authority about her. She was playing with her jewelry while sitting on the corner of the front desk. Flashing the teacher a small smile, Octavia approached with an outstretched hand. “Good morning, are you Miss Reynolds?”

The woman glanced Octavia over before shaking her hand. “Yes, dear. And you are..?”

Octavia released Ms. Reynolds’ hand and cleared her throat before speaking. “Octavia Clef, ma’am.” She said with a small smile, tugging nervously at one of her sleeves.

“I’m Miss Reynolds,” the teacher said with a smile, before widening her eyes a bit. “Oh, are you the one with amnesia, Miss Clef?”

“Oh, yes... That’s me.” Octavia looked away, shifting on the balls of her feet.

“Do you mind if I ask what happened?”

Octavia shifted her stance and cleared her throat a second time. “A little while ago I was in a car accident. When I woke up... I couldn’t remember anything at all.”

Ms. Reynolds gave a sympathetic nod. “Well I’m very sorry for you. If there’s anything I can do to help or if you need extra time on assignments, let me know and I’ll work with you.”

“That sounds lovely, Ms. Reynolds,” Octavia smiled. “Thank you.”

“My pleasure, dearie. Now take a seat anywhere you’d like. We’ll be starting soon.”

Before long, the rest of her future classmates began to trickle into the room, many of them engaged in some sort of music related conversation.

“You cannot tell me Carly Ray Jepson has talent! That bitch can’t even sing live!”

“She has more talent than Justin Dweeber.”

“Maybe in bed, yeah, but not on stage.”

“Eww, you like that little dork?”

“Hey, he’s not as gay as Twilight!”

She tuned them out and tried to steady her breathing and ignore the guilt that tried to eat away at her insides. I’m going to be sitting here, lying to my classmates every time we speak to one another. I can’t tell them anything about my past, because of this... ‘Amnesia’ I have. I hope—

“Hi!”

“Gyah!” Octavia lurched up, startled out of her thoughts.

“Oh, sorry ‘bout that, heehee!” Beside her was a girl holding a small rectangular case. Her hair was a light, strawberry red with a mess of curls, and her face was petite, and definitely cute. “My name’s Nikki, Nikki Connors! Well, my first name’s actually Elizabeth, and my middle name’s Nicole, but everyone just calls me Nikki for short!” The young woman gushed out, excited as can be.

Octavia’s eye twitched, as the girl’s antics reminded her of somepony she used to know. “Ehh, Nikki, i-it’s nice to, eh, make your acquaintance...You’re quite... boisterous, aren’t you? Are you anticipating something to make you so excited?” She gave a small, forced laugh as she looked at the other girl.

“Of course I’m excited! I’m starting a new super-fun class with a whole lot of super nice people and I want to make sure I’m friends with all my classmates— Hey is that a cello?”

Finally given a pause, Octavia realized her eyes had widened. She shook the surprised expression off her face and answered in her normal demeanor. “Yes, yes it is.”

“Well I play lots and lots of instruments but I decided to do Viola for this class. It looks like we’ll be seating buddies! Can I see your cello?” Nikki asked, already bending down and reaching for the latches.

“N-no, please, don’t.”

Nikki pulled back her hands and immediately sat down. ”Okie~dokie!” She cocked her head to the side with a curious expression on her face. “Oh, your case opens differently compared to others I’ve seen. It’s rather silly. Since most standard cases are made for right-handed people, I just called it a lefty case because it’s the less common case style.”

The tenseness in her body slowly ebbed away as she smiled at the energetic girl. “Actually, the case is upside down.” She pointed out with a small giggle.

Nikki’s cheek tinted a light pink as she rubbed the back of her head. “Guess I couldn’t tell while being upside down. I gotta practice that more!”

“Yes, of course.” Octavia shuffled her music sheets around, organized them, and pulled her cello out of its case. “So besides the viola...what other instruments do you play, Nikki?”

Nikki held her chin in her hand, looking up at the ceiling as she gave it thought. “Hmmm...well, I play the xylophone, viola, trumpet, tuba, french horn, trombone, harmonica, accordion, banjo, flute, guitar, drums, bass, and my most favorite of all, the tambourine!”

Her eyes widened at the sizeable list of instruments. Would one person be truly capable of not only understanding, but also be proficient at playing such an absurd number of instruments? Most ponies could only play, at most, one or two. “So you’re going to play in a band?”

“Yeah!” Nikki smiled wide, a hand in the air for half a second before she continued. “And that’s why I always carry my drum-chucks!”

Octavia was at a loss for words as Nikki pulled out what looked like a slightly modified pair of nunchucks, or rather, a pair of drumsticks held together by a small chain. “I... don’t understand,” Octavia finally said. “Why would you need, uh, ‘drum-chucks’ if you’re playing the viola?”

“Oh, don’t be silly~” Nikki sang, her voice bubbling with laughter. “No one would sign me on as a band member for playing any of those other silly instruments! No, I play drums, like a real rocker!” She giggled, twirling her drum-chucks around in a grand display of dexterity. “Drummers are always in high demand, because most everybody who learns an instrument either plays a string instrument like a guitar or just does singing! Drummers are rare, and girl drummers are even moreso, probably!” Nikki plopped down in the seat beside Octavia and let her body relax as she gave a long sigh. “Oof, life’s pretty rough though, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it definitely is,” Octavia replied.

“By the way, what’s your name again?” Nikki asked with a cute tilt of the head.

“Octavia Cleff. You may call me Octavia.”

“Sure thing, ‘Tavi! You can call me Nikki!” Octavia closed her eyes and sighed; did everyone use that nickname?

Before either one of them could talk any further— much to Octavia’s relief— their teacher cleared her throat, marker in hand as she stood beside the whiteboard.


Octavia sighed as she walked out of the classroom, almost wishing there was a bell system like at the Musical Arts Academy in Canterlot.

She also wished she could understand a word her new... ‘friend’... was saying. She just would not stop talking! “—And then he just starts wailing on his guitar like ‘dnanananananana-nana-na—nuh-nuh-nooowwww~!’ and the drummer’s all like, ‘duh-doo, duh-duh-doo, duh-doo, duh-duh-da-dooomdananananaacra-pow!’ and the crowd was just going crazy, and— hey, you wanna grab something to drink? My treat!” Nikki skipped over to the vending machine in the music hall’s cramped lobby and plunked in a couple quarters, and practically stuffed a dollar into the slot. “What’cha like to drink?”

Octavia shrugged, not caring, as she looked at the clock on the wall. She still had five minutes before her next class, which was Composition 101. “Elizabeth, I was wondering...”

“Uh-uh, like I said! Nikki~” the other girl sang as she thrust a somewhat chilled plastic bottle into her hands. “Hope ya like strawberry milk, ‘Tavi! They were all outta the mochas!”

Nikki shook hers fast enough that Octavia could’ve sworn she saw friction burns in the air before twisting off the top and chugging away like it was her first drink in weeks.

“So, eh, Nikki, I was wondering... Where would one find the English Composition class?” Octavia scratched her head ruefully. “I, uh... I don’t have a map.”

Nikki beamed and giggled, tossing her empty beverage container into the rubbish bin behind her. “Sure, I can take you there! My next class is in the same wing, anyways!”

Octavia shook her head bemusedly as Nikki started dancing towards the door, her viola’s case swinging along to a song only its owner could hear. ‘Pinkie... Whatever’s happening back home, please; Keep smiling for me.’


Henry walked towards the vending machine. After pulling out a couple of bills, he bought himself some juice and took deep gulp. Feeling instantly refreshed, he sighed to himself and leaned against the side of the machine, waiting patiently for his friend. As he waited idly, he pulled out his slate and checked his e-mail only to find nothing of importance. His notifications tray was empty, and everything seemed to be in order. A rather loud, fast paced voice caught his attention and he looked up in time to see Octavia and a girl with strawberry colored hair walking towards him.

Octavia waved at him with a smile, which he eagerly returned.

“Oooh! Whose is this? The guy you told me about, Tavi!?” Nikki asked with sparkling eyes.

“Yes, this is Henry Westñaire, my close friend and roommate.” Octavia said, approaching Henry and hugging him gently.

“Roommate!? I’m so jealous! I’m still stuck at home until I find a place willing to put up with my drum playing.” She said, crossing her arms with a pout.

Octavia merely chuckled, stepping aside as Henry moved forward and held out his hand in greeting.

Nikki giggled and wrapped her arms around him, hugging Henry tightly. “Silly goose! I only give hugs! Handshakes are way too formal for me!”

Henry merely grinned and shook his head as he returned the hug, patting her back before wiggling out of her hold.

“So how long have you two known each other for?” She asked curiously.

The mute man simply typed away on his phone. “She and I go back some years.”

“That’s so cool! I got a couple of friends that go waayyyyy back! We’re talking Pre-K days, the good old days.” She said wistfully, her eyes staring into space as she went down memory lane.

Octavia looked at her with a tilted face and Henry merely shrugged.

Nikki suddenly gasped in realization, her curls bouncing wildly. “Oh no! I have class! I’ll see you later ‘Tavi and Henry!” She shouted behind her as she ran off towards the nearest stairwell.

“Well she certainly has character.” Henry wrote on his slate, chuckling quietly.

Octavia sighed a bit. “You wouldn’t know the half o—”

“Why hello, Mutey! What’s up man?” An obnoxious voice interrupted. Henry cringed as he felt an arm wrap around his shoulder. “How’s my favorite friend doing this lovely spring day?” The man asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

His shoulders merely tensed, teeth grinding slightly as he tried to ignore the other man’s existence.

Octavia intervened, shoving the guy off with ease. “That was quite rude of you.” She said, eyes narrowed at him.

The man merely laughed. “Where are my manners? Names Kenne, Kenne Tanker,” he said smoothly, grasping her hand and kissing the back of it.

She grimaced and yanked back her hand, only to throw it forward and backhand his bicep with it. “Do not touch me you ignorant twit!” Octavia venomously scorned him.

Kenne looked at her like a hurt puppy. “But what I do wrong? I’m just bein’ a gentleman.”

Octavia scoffed at him. “A gentleman does not insult others as a greeting nor force themselves upon a lady. “

He merely chuckled. “My apologies, Miss. I was just giving my dumb friend here—”

“His name is Henry,” she interrupted with a glare.

Kenne rolled his eyes. “As I was saying, I was just giving my friend Henry a visit. It’s been a while since he and I have chatted, right?” He asked, grinning at Henry as though they were the best of friends. Henry glared at him before standing by Octavia, annoyed with his presence.

“He doesn’t look very enthused to see you. Clearly, you two must be the best of friends, hmm?” She asked sarcastically, crossing her arms with an unamused expression on her face.

He scoffed and wrapped his arm around her, grinning widely. “I’m just wondering to myself... what’s a babe like you doing with a scrubby kid like Mutey? Kid can’t even stand up to bullies; it’s like he’s too afraid to speak up for himself,” Kenne suddenly laughed loudly, much to the annoyance of the other two.

Octavia grabbed his arm and drove her elbow into his sternum while stepping back. She felt his ribs compress under the force and she heard the air squeeze out of his lungs. He folded over and stumbled back a couple of feet, grabbing his chest. “Who the fuck you think you are, you stupid cunt?” he wheezed.

Octavia stood her ground and looked up slightly into his eyes, glaring daggers at him. “I think I am very mature, something you are definitely not.”

Kenne bit his lip, his anger positively boiling as he cocked back his arm and tried to punch her in the face when Mac happened to round the corner. Mac’s eyes bugged and his hand shot forward before Kenne could throw, grabbing Kenne’s wrist. “What do ya think yer doin’ partner?” Mac bellowed.

Octavia looked up in surprise. “Mac?”

Kenne trembled, trying to free his arm. “Let go of me, asshat!”

Mac snorted. “Look here, bud. These two’re friends a mine, an’ Ah’ ain’t gonna stand by an’ let some punk-ass feller like you mess with ‘em.” Mac checked his watch as Kenne continued struggling in his grip.

“I said let go!” He shouted, elbowing Mac’s chest.

Mac grunted and swept his leg beneath Kenne’s, knocking him to his knees. “Ah’m bein’ serious, bud. Ah’ don’t want ta get physical if Ah’ can help it, but Ah’ will.” The last two words were punctuated by a low growl, and Kenne scrambled backwards, rubbing his arm, eyes wild.

“You’re all fuckin’ freaks, y’know that?! Freaks! Go fuck yourselves! Alla you!” He turned around and ran out the door, still calling out less and less intelligible swears as he went.

“Ah’ think that mighta hurt a bit,” Mac muttered as he rubbed where Kenne had hit him. “Looks like Ah’ll hafta get Tara ta look at it, eh, Henry?” He flashed a cheeky grin and Henry busied himself with looking at the wall, cheeks slightly flushed. “Wull, Y’all better get ta class, Ah’ gotta be at the studio soon, or else mah boss’ll rip me a new one.” With that and a wave, he headed out towards the parking lot, leaving Henry and Octavia alone.

Octavia let out a small sigh. “That was... actually quite scary.”

Henry nodded, but made no movement to pull out his slate. “Well, come now, Henry. I still need to know where to find the Gymnaisium. Care to show me the way?” He gave a stiff nod and started heading in the direction Octavia had come from.

’Dammit,’ Henry thought to himself as he lead Octavia to the building two away from the English hall. ’Kenne was... And I...’ His hand trembled slightly as he opened the door, the sound of sneakers on synthetic wood flooring emanating from within. Octavia thanked him and walked inside, a small bounce in her step as if she’d already forgotten the encounter just minutes before. ’Kenne was going to hit her, and I... I couldn’t—’ He pounded a fist against the building’s exterior, still shaking. ’I just... I froze up. I couldn’t do anything. It was just like—’ Henry shook his head, stopping the thought before it could complete itself. He walked away from the gym, and headed towards the Music hall. ’I need to protect her. I need to protect myself. I can’t always rely on others, not forever. I think it’s time I started training again.’

Author's Note:

Hey there everypony, sorry for the extended wait. We are currently doing a new update cycle, but things got busy, so I hope you enjoy the newest episode!

SuperBigMac: This was kinda of a bitch because of planning since it was hard to come up with something better than what we planned.

From Russia with love,

Henry Anthony Courtler & Super_Big_Mac