• Published 28th Nov 2012
  • 9,181 Views, 766 Comments

The Mute Octave - HenryAnthonyCourtler



What happens when a mute man makes friends with the most interesting of musicians?

  • ...
50
 766
 9,181

S1 Episode 4: Holiday Blues

Chapter 4: Holiday Blues

Octavia walked with her arm looped around Henry’s as they approached the “Parking Garage” as the mute man had called it. A large pair of windowed doors glew in the distance as they approached them. Before she could make an attempt to open the door, they slid apart automatically with a near quiet hiss, startling her so bad, that she nearly tripped over herself.

“What is that!?” She yelled in surprise, lucky enough that no one other than Henry heard her.

“That’s an automatic door. It’s controlled by pneumatic pumps, or compressed air. That’s what causes the slight hissing.” he explained with his slate, covering his mouth as he tried not to laugh.

She nervously wrapped her arm around his and approached the entrance, gasping in surprise at the sheer size of the mall and all the floors above it that lead to a large skylight that seemed to cover the entire ceiling. As they walked forward, she froze up again when she noticed the odd stair-like contraption. A tap on her shoulder brought her out of her shock.

“They’re escalators; pretty much automatic stairs.” Was all his slate said as he gave her a small smile and stepped onto it as a demonstration, the escalator carrying him upwards.

Octavia hurriedly climbed on and caught up to him, her squeeze on his arm noticeably tightening as they ascended onto the main floor of the mall, people walking in all directions. People of different taste, culture, and race all interacting with one another in unique and exciting ways that made her head spin until Henry gently shook her.

Holding up his slate she read, “I know it’s a lot to take in...just take it a step a time, ‘Tavi.”

A step at a time, she thought. Nodding to herself, Octavia took a tentative step towards a store with numerous pictures of malnourished humares in differing outfits, the only correlation being how little the outfits covered.

His face coloring a bit, Henry gently pushed Octavia away from Victoria’s Secret. That was a store for a different day, after she could dress herself fully on her own. Looking about, he looked for something else to keep her entertained with when he noticed the pet store he went by every now and then. Tugging on her arm, he pointed towards the store, and they walked over.


“Oh, they’re so cute!” Henry smiled to himself as Octavia busied herself with scratching a kitten behind its ears, cooing at its cute purring and high-pitched mews.

Other kittens in the litter pawed adorably at the glass, each one begging for attention and a new home. Henry however, was playing with a German Shepherd pup who eagerly wagged its tail at a game of peek-a-boo.

Snapping his fingers, Henry pointed at the ground, and the dog sat down. Snapping again, and splaying his hand out horizontally got the dog to lay down. Henry petted the dog happily; this dog was extremely well trained... and well out of his price range. Especially now that he had someone else to take care of. Gazing at it longingly, he scratched the pup’s jawline and smiled as he licked his hand softly, as though acknowledging him as his master.

“He’s a cutie, ain’t he?” an employee asked as she approached him. The first thing he noticed was the smirk on her pink lips, her long brown hair pulled into a high ponytail, the familiar farmer-like employee outfit the staff had and her chocolate brown eyes crinkling in mirth.

Henry smiled as she stood next to him. “Hello, Jackie.” He wrote on his slate.

“How ya been holdin’ up, friend?” Jackie asked cheerfully, brushing aside a stray lock of her dark brown hair.

“Pretty good. Found a girl screaming unintelligibly in my bathroom, and I wasn’t hung over.”

“Oh, so ‘Ah have competition now, hmm?” Jackie punched Henry in the shoulder playfully, leaning back on her heels as Octavia came over, at least three kittens hanging onto her as her deep purple eyes sparkling under the soft fluorescent lights.

“Henry, they’re so cuuuute!” The southern lady chuckled to herself as Henry blushed, another kitten poking its head out from in Octavia’s long hair, mewling contentedly. “Can we take one home? Or all of them? Please? Pretty please?”

Henry shifted uncomfortably on the balls of his feet, not making any attempt to stop his new friend. Jackie placed a supportive hand on his shoulder and spoke up. “Wull, he’s been eyein’ that there pup since he first got here, almost four months ago. Ain’t seen ‘im in here for almost two months, though. That pup’s been trained by the best, but enough about me. Wha’s yer name, Miss?”

“Oh, my name’s Octavia, uh...” Octavia blushed a bit as she tentatively raised a hand.

“Y’all can call me Jackie, ‘Tavi!” Jackie grabbed Octavia’s outstretched hand in a grip almost as strong as diamond was hard, and shook fast enough that surely it caused an earthquake... or maybe that was just Octavia. “ It‘s always a pleasure t’ meet one of Cutie Mutie’s friends!" Jackie gave Henry a wink and an elbow to the ribs, causing him to scowl, even as his face flushed in embarrassment.

“Oh,” Octavia brought her hoo-hands to her mouth, covering a squeal. “Are you two a couple? You do look so cute together!” Jackie flushed and scuffed the ground with one of her boots- actually, she was only wearing one; the other foot had on a... creeper? No, sneaker? Maybe... Octavia shook her head, clearing away the thought.

“Naw, we’re more like siblings...” Octavia sagged a bit, blushing at her assumption. “Oh, I’m sorry, I-I didn’t mean to make a mule out of either of us...”

Jackie looked up, her embarrassment forgotten. “Huh? A mule?”

“Yes; since I assumed...”

Jackie’s mouth quirked into a smile, snorting with laughter. “Oh, yea’. I geddit. Now, let’s get this puppy back with the others; we’ll drop the kittens off first so they don’t get frightened.”

After extricating an impossibly cute calico from her mane, Octavia trotted along behind Jackie as she walked towards the back of the store, the dog obediently walking alongside her.

“Are all the dogs here like him?”

“Nah, he’s special; pretty much bred to be awesome. He can follow complex hand gestures, or even sounds, if you can get the right pitch.”

“That’s amazing!”

“Yeah, if only Henry could be trained like that.” The two girls broke into a fit of giggles, Henry rolling his eyes, lacing his fingers behind his head. “Alrigh’, in y’go, boy.” Jackie opened the kennel, and the pup ran inside, while a few other dogs tried to get out. “Oh, no y’don’t! Git!” Jackie put her foot with the sneaker on it towards the dogs, not kicking them but pushing against their noses. “Shoo, c’mon, now! Ah don’t wanna hafta go chasin’ y’all rowdy pups around the mall again, thank ya kindly!” She said hastily.

One of the dogs, seeming to feel defiant, bit into her shoe and growled adorably as she tried to shake him off gently before yanking her foot backwards. The dog let go, and retreated as she closed the door. “Wull, that’s that, Ah s’pose.”

Jackie noticed Octavia looking at her shoe, and wiggled it around. “Tha’s why Ah wear a sneaker, so’s they don’t bite inta mah boots. It’s bad fer the boot, an’ bad fer their teeth. Th’ saying might say not ta look a gift horse in th’ mouth, but that don’t apply to dogs people’re buyin’.” Jackie and Octavia started back towards the front of the store as Henry lingered, looking in on the puppy.

“Why doesn’t he just buy the dog, Jackie?”

“It’s probably the cost. Even if Ah let ‘im use mah discount, the pup’s a pretty grand, and college life ain’t cheap ya know.” She said sadly, crossing her arms as she saw him play with the pup through the kennel’s wall. “His job don’t pay him much either, if he even still has it.”

“What does he work as?”

“Ask ‘im yerself. Ain’t mah place t’ pry.” Octavia nodded and followed Henry as he waved from the store’s doorway. “Y’all take care a yerselves, now! Ah’ll talk to ya later, ‘Tavi!”


After a brief stop for a meal at the ‘Food Court’ as Henry had explained to her, they left the mall and got into his car before driving back towards his home through the thick early evening traffic.

“Henry?” Octavia asked as she leant against the door.

Henry nodded his head.

The cello player felt a blush kiss her cheeks. “T-thanks for taking me to the mall today.”

A smile tugged at his lips, his hand reaching over and squeezing hers. Octavia squeezed back as she closed her eyes, sighing blissfully as the sounds of traffic drifted in and out of focus.


when it snows, ain't it thrillin'
though your nose gets a chillin'?
we'll frolic and play the eskimo way
walkin' in a winter wonderland!
walkin' in a winter wonderland!

The smooth rhythm of the song carried out through the cafe as the song ended, Tara delivering to large ceramic cups of hot chocolate to Henry and Octavia.

Octavia picked up the large cup with both hands and drank a bit of it, eyes closing in delight at the extra spicing she had requested in hers.

Henry smiled and lifted his cup of white hot chocolate and took a sip, licking his lips at the smoothness of the beverage.

Setting it down, he typed on his slate. “Was I right about the hot chocolate here being the best in town?” she read as a smile grew on his face.

“Well, seeing as how it’s the only one you’ve taken me to... Yes; yes it is.” Octavia giggled as Henry rolled his eyes, snorting at her before pouting playfully.

“Excuse me, princess, didn’t know you suddenly took a tier level in sarcasm. Next time we can go to one of those... classy establishments.” he wrote with a sarcastic sneer that did nothing to stop his body-wide, silent laughter.

“I’ve been here, what, three months? As your kind say, ‘Tis the season!’ Where’s your sense of goodwill towards man?”

“That has nothing to do with my not taking you to a classy restaurant; you’re a pony, remember~?” Octavia stuck her tongue out at Henry as he gave her a roguish look.

“Y’know, the Lover’s Special is still available if you two ever decide to get it; you two get cuter every time you come in here.” Tara chided playfully, pulling up a chair at their table and sitting with them.

Octavia’s face, already flushed from the cocoa’s warmth, became just a tad redder. “Tara, you’re embarrassing me...”

Henry got a thoughtful look on his face, before looking at Octavia. He gave her a small smile with his eyes half-lidded, hands clasped beneath his chin as his smile grew like the Cheshire Cat’s.

Octavia’s eyes widened, and she squirmed in her seat, her heart thudding wildly in her chest. “Henry, please tell me you’re not...”

Henry just nodded, closing his eyes as he continued smiling.She sighed, covering her face. “You are...” Octavia glanced up, only to find Tara missing from her seat. She groaned, knowing that these two were just doing it to make her blush.

Not five minutes later, Tara returned with the large... Calling it a cup would be giving it too little credit, as it seemed beyond words in size. The glass container for the beverage sparkled softly in the fluorescently lit room, the eggnog pushing the whipped cream and cherry every which way.

Octavia’s face was alit with a blush so intense, Henry feared that the shake would evaporate if it came any closer to their table. Fortunately, it stayed frozen, though that might have been due to the embarrassed glare she sent at him from across the table. “.......” The silence stretched on as they stared at each other, Henry with a grin, Octavia with a frown.

The heavy silence remained until Henry stuck out just the tip of his tongue, wiggling it around at Octavia with a wink. The tension eased immediately as she broke into a fit of giggles. “Oh, that is downright cruel of you, Henry, buying something of this size! How is one supposed to eat it all?”

“It isn’t made for one, sweetie~ That’s why it’s called the Lover’s Special.” Tara pointed out from her chair.

“Tara, why must you embarrass me so? Henry and I act nothing like lovers! We are not a couple!” Octavia said indignantly, refusing to back down and swallow her pride.

The waitress giggled like a mad woman before leaning in closer to Octavia. “You two sure seemed to act like one. Don’t think I haven’t see the looks you two send each other.” She said in a conspiratorial whisper.

Henry observed their interactions quietly, a small smirk on his face at his handiwork. Octavia.... This time you’ve given me has been the most fun I’ve had in years... I wish I could thank you for something seemingly so simple, and yet meaning the world. Henry leaned forward in his seat, a spoon dipping down to the giant tub of ice cream and egg nog. He scooped some up, bringing the spoon close to his mouth before lunging forward just as Octavia was opening her mouth to make her rebuttal on how cute her and Henry were together.

“Mmm...” Having never tasted Eggnog before, and getting it spoon-fed to her no less, Octavia couldn’t help the delighted moan, nor the blush that developed almost instantaneously. She covered her reddening cheeks with her hands, closing her eyes as she squirmed in her seat, much to Tara’s satisfaction and Henry’s amusement.

“Okay, ‘Tavi. Once you get out of denial, me and the rest of the Egyptians will be waiting with towels.” With that confusing sentence, Tara got up and returned to helping out the one or two other patrons who were in the diner.

Henry held up his slate. “See, what did I tell you, you’d love it one way or another.”

“Yes, well... fine.” Octavia wrapped her arms around the tub, putting it on the table behind her. “You can eat whatever’s left when I’m finished.” Octavia stuck her tongue out at him, in a not-so-proper gesture, and he picked up his spoon and sat down right next to her, a competitive gleam in his eyes. Holding up his slate, and hit the play button.

The race was on! Gone was refinement! Sensibility had fled the building! Poise had passed out! Dignity was dropping faster than a unicorn in freefall! Pigging out was in this season! Neither was willing to back out as they shoveled large spoonfuls of ice cream with little regard for etiquette, both of them grinning like mad people. Once they neared the bottom, Henry redoubled his efforts, outpacing the slowing musician who couldn’t keep up with him. With a mighty belch, Henry dropped his spoon into the large bowl, leaning back in his self-proclaimed victory.

A victory that was short lived however, as he promptly grabbed his stomach in pain, causing Octavia to snort indignantly. “Really, Henry? Why are colts so competitive?”

Tara walked over, picking up the empty container as she stifled a giggle. “Yes, yes, tell us the ways of the dolts, Henry! Well, I’ll clean this up, and you two give me a holler if you want anything more!”

Octavia gave a little wave of her hand in response. “Oh, no; I think we’re done. I still need Henry to drive, after all,” she said with a snicker as she nuzzled Henry’s cheek.

Henry sighed, pulling out his credit card and handing it to Tara.

The waitress took the card and brought it up to the cash register, going through the notions before returning to the table with the card and receipt.

“Thanks.” he wrote on his slate before pulling out a twenty dollar bill and handing it to her.

“But Henry, the special was on m—”

He merely held his hand out in front of him, refusing to hear her argument as he stood up and put on his coat.

Tara blew a lock of strawberry blonde hair off her face. “Fine, but only because you insist.” She said somewhat haughtily, laughing when Henry pouted and gave her a tight hug. Tara looked over to see Octavia hovering nearby, and rolled her eyes. “Well, come on, now. I don’t want to be forcing you in, but get over here.”

Octavia sighed and let herself be pulled into the hug, the warmth surrounding her and filling a sense of self she hadn’t noticed was empty. These are my friends. I wouldn’t be here without them. A tear trickled down her face as she squeezed a bit tighter, nuzzling Tara before letting go and taking Henry’s hand in her own. “Come on, Henry. I believe that it is high time that we head back home.” She fidgeted for a second, before continuing. “You did say you wanted to talk about some... things of import. College and the like.”

“Oh, will we be seeing you around campus, then?”

“Yes, if my, uh... transcripts got filed correctly.” Octavia smiled nervously, Tara taking notice but thinking different the reason for her odd behavior.

“Oh, don’t worry, hun. You’ll feel welcome. Of course, that’s if you don’t start hanging with Kenne and his tanner crew.” Tara shook her head with a reproachful look in her eyes. “Those boys will just be downright mean to you, and it’s always pretty childish. It’s as if they never learned to swear!”

Henry waved his hand dismissively, not caring much for the group either as Octavia dragged him towards the door. Waving one final goodbye, Tara went back to attending the other customers before the door swung shut behind them.

Octavia sighed in relief. “That was a close one...” She breathed out.

Henry tapped her shoulder.

She looked at his slate. “Yes?”

“I just realized... what are we gonna do about your papers? A transcript is the least of our worries right now.” The words on the slate were no different than any other words that he’d ever typed, but a sudden chill went down Octavia’s spine nonetheless.

“Papers...?”

Henry nodded. “Passport, Identification Card, Social Security Card, Birth Certificates, the whole nine yards.”

“Oh, that’s a lot of papers... In Equestria, you’d have your Birth Certificate, of course, but you wouldn’t even need it. It was just there to keep a record of who was born into which families, and other such drivel.”

Henry scratched his head. “Well, you can’t exactly sign up at any learning institution without proof of residency and identification.” He explained as they waited at the last light leading to his apartment.

Octavia shook her head in annoyance, glaring at the street light as it turned green in the right-turn lane, but not theirs. “Why must humans make everything so complicated?”

He shrugged his shoulders and threw on his blinker, taking a left into the parking lot and parking the car. “To be honest, I have no clue why things are like this. For some reason, everyone here is obsessed with some obscure system to track every living being down, like hunting an animal.”

Octavia sighed. “Yes... hunting. I can understand that humans eat meat as a necessity, but making a game of it just seems... wrong.”

“Some people...just find different ways to entertain themselves, some more cruel than others.”

“Yes... I’ve noticed. There aren’t many like that in Equestria. Sure, some ponies like to fish, but it’s never for anything cruel. We don’t use hooks, we use feeders. We’ve got enough entertainment that we don’t need to delve into... barbarism to have a sport.” Octavia fumbled with the buckle on her seat as Henry pulled the car to a stop in the apartment complex’ garage. “Not even Griffons are that cruel nowadays. They hunt for food, but don’t take lives that are unnecessary.”

Leaning over, Henry helped her with her buckle before getting out of the car. “I suppose you make a good point.” He wrote on his slate as they walked up the stairs.

Octavia sat down in the living room as Henry put his keys on a little hanger and threw his coat into the closet. “What do you think is happening back home, Henry? Is anypony worried? Have they already given up? How long has it been for them? A day? A minute? A year? A century? Celestia herself may have trouble remembering me if I were to go back, or nopony may have noticed my absence. Both thoughts chill me to the core, Henry, and yet I almost wish it so if it means Vinyl can go about her life as she usually does.”

Henry glanced at her sadly, watching the guilt and mixture of emotions eat away at her until he sat down next to her on the couch and merely hugged her. She gasped momentarily before hugging him back, eyes closed as she tried not to think about the worrying aspects of her being away from home.

I’d try to fill this silence, but empty words don’t help anything. Henry gently rubbed Octavia’s shoulder, offering what comfort he could as she once again found herself longing for home. I wish I could help you, I really do. But science can’t do anything, and I have no miracles to offer.

She pulled him down onto the couch, her soft breathing tickling his chest. He laid there for several moments contemplating how he could help ease her fears when he felt Octavia loosen her arms around him. Looking down, he smiled sadly as she slept against him, her magenta eyes shut, a peaceful expression forming as she slept.

We’ll figure something out...a day a time. He thought to himself as he picked her up, quietly taking her into his room, and pulling the covers over her. You’ll see, Octavia. Things can get bad or worse, but there’s always a silver lining. Turning off the light and closing the door, he once again relaxed on the couch, before falling asleep.