• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 4,917 Views, 184 Comments

A Forward Approach - Ahiam94



After confessing to Twilight and getting rejected, Rainbow tries taking a different approach to get Twilight to love her back. One that is much more forward than traditional means.

  • ...
35
 184
 4,917

Spoiling the Mood

Applejack swung her head around and smashed the last nail into the wooden fence with the hammer in her mouth. She wiped the sweat from her face, and smiled seeing the repaired old fence. "There, I'm finished. Can I go now Granny?" Applejack gasped.

"What do you mean go? There are still tons of things to do 'round here." Granny Smith replied, as she rocked back and forth in her chair.

Applejack sighed. "What do you mean? I've already repainted the barn, bucked enough apples to satisfy Ponyville, and I just fixed this here fence. What else is there that I have to do!?" She asked.

Granny smiled. "Don't you worry, we'll find something for you to do." Applejack let out another long sigh. She was going to be stuck on her farm for a while longer.


***

"Okay, that was the weirdest feeling ever." Rainbow Dash said while rubbing her head with a hoof. "Where are we, anyway?" she asked. Rainbow proceeded to take a quick look at her surroundings. She noticed all of the mannequins around her, and turned her head to find Rarity. "Rarity's house? Why are we here?"

Rarity approached the two ponies on the floor. "You are here, Rainbow Dash, because you and Twilight need to sit down and have a long, calm discussion."

"About what?" Rainbow asked.

Twilight glared at Rainbow. "What do you think?" Twilight questioned, angrily.

Rainbow Dash placed a hoof to her chin. "Hmmm... Dunno." She said as she shrugged her shoulders.

Twilight buried her face in her hooves. Rarity sighed. "Rainbow, in case you have not noticed. Twilight has not been exactly happy with the way you have been behaving."

"Oh! That." Rainbow's cheeks grew slightly red. "I was only doing what Blossomforth told me to do." Rainbow said.

Rarity's eyes widened. "Blossomforth? Ugh, I should have known." Rarity put a hoof to her forehead.

"You were listening to Blossomforth!?" Twilight shouted.

Rainbow sunk down towards the floor. "Well, yeah. She gave me some advice that worked with her, so I thought—"

"Rainbow..." Rarity interrupted. "Blossomforth is a bit, um, well, how to put this nicely. She's a little... strange at times."

"What!? What do you mean "strange"? Blossomforth just gave me some advice that worked with her when she was having a hard time trying to get Cloudkicker to notice her." Rainbow explained.

Rarity gave Rainbow Dash a confused look. "Rainbow, "Rarity said. "Blossomforth and Cloudkicker are not seeing each other."

"Yeah, sure Rarity. Then why did she tell me she was?" Rainbow said, thinking that the argument was over.

"Well, Rainbow. She told you that, because Blossomforth is a little untruthful at times," Rarity said.

"What do you mean?" Rainbow asked.

"Ugh! She means that Blossomforth is a liar!" Twilight finally shouted, getting tired of Rainbow's density.

"What!? No she isn—" Rainbow stopped mid-sentence. A door in her head opened releasing a flood of memories with Blossomforth. The time that she said she had taken care of Ponyville's bad weather, when in reality she hadn't even woken up until Rainbow Dash called for her. The other time when she told Rainbow Dash that she was married with sixteen children. The last memory was of the time she said she once beat Celestia in a flying race and became princess for a day. "Okay, Blossomforth may be a liar after all." Rainbow Dash admitted.

"Okay. Now that that's out of the way," Rarity said, trying to get the conversation back on track. "Rainbow, we need to find a way to solve this problem between you and Twilight so that everypony will be happy."

"So, you're going to set me and Twilight on a date? Awesome. While you're at it, can you make it one of those dates that ends with a little bow chikka wow wow?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"No, Rainbow." Rarity replied, simply.

"Well, to be completely honest, that's the only way I'll be happy." Rainbow Dash said.

Rarity sighed and buried her face in her hooves. "Okay, Rarity. How can you do this? The sooner you sort through this mess, the sooner you can get back to work." After a few more moments of silence Rarity finally spoke up. "Okay, I have an idea. Twilight," Twilight immediately gave Rarity her full attention. "Why don't you tell Rainbow Dash exactly how you feel about her? Tell her, why you love her as a friend and nothing more than that."

Twilight sat in silence for a moment. She then proceeded to take in a big breath. She stood up straight and faced Rainbow Dash. "Rainbow, you are a great friend. You are one of the best friends anypony could ever ask for. But just look at they way you are, and then look at the way I am."

"I have." Rainbow cut in.

"What?" Twilight asked, taken back.

"I have taken a look to the way you are. The way you are is the reason that I fell in love with you." Rainbow said as she also stood up straight and looked Twilight in the eye.

A deep red blush spread across Twilight's face. "But, we're so different!" Twilight tried to reason.

"I know." Rainbow said. "I thought it was weird too when I started feeling this way." Rainbow Dash began getting closer to Twilight. "But once I realized how I felt, I knew that I had to find a way to become closer to you."

Rainbow Dash stood within a few inches of Twilight. Twilight could feel Rainbow's breath on her, but she felt motionless. The sweet sincere words that came from Rainbow Dash made her feel powerless. Almost as if she felt obliged to give Rainbow a chance. Right now, if Rainbow were to attempt to kiss her, she didn't feel like she would be able to fight back. "So, what do you say, Twilight? Wanna get down and dirty right here?"

With those words, Twilight snapped back into reality. "No!" Twilight pushed Rainbow onto her back and shot out of Rarity's boutique.

Rainbow lay sprawled out. She rubbed the back of her head with a hoof. "Ouch, Twilight. Why'd you have to go and do that?"

"What is the matter with you, Rainbow Dash!?" Rarity yelled.

"What?" Rainbow asked.

"You had her!" Rarity pointed a hoof out her door. "Twilight was more than willing to let you kiss her. But you!" She pointed her hoof accusingly at Rainbow Dash. "Went and spoiled a perfectly romantic mood with that sleazy line!"

"You think Twilight would have let me kiss her?" Rainbow asked.

"It was obvious that she would have!" Rarity said.

"That means I still have a chance!" Rainbow instantly got back onto her hooves. "Thanks for your help, Rarity!" Rainbow said, as she saluted the unicorn. She then flew out of Rarity's house in an instant.

Rarity stood still. Yet again, left alone in the dust. "I need to leave Ponyville for a few days." Rarity said to herself.

Without another second to herself, there came a knock on the boutique's door. "Please! No more!" Rarity begged. She quickly took a deep breath and put on a very forced smile. She opened the door with her magic. "Hello, how may I help... Oh, Hello Applebloom, hello Scootaloo."

"Hi, Rarity!" The two filly's said in unison as they flew into Rarity's boutique.

"If you're looking for Sweetie Belle she is upstairs." Rarity said, as she gestured to the stairs.

"Okay! Thanks, Rarity!" The two fillies said, again in unison.

The two Cutie Mark Crusaders disappeared up the stairs. "Will I ever get a break?" Rarity asked.

***

Sweetie Belle was laying on her bed. She had been quietly thinking about everything that had happened that day since she got into her room. "Could I really have a crush on Spike?" She thought to herself. Her silent thinking time came to a grinding stop when Scootaloo and Applebloom burst into her room. "Hi Sweetie Belle!" The two energetic fillies yelled.

Sweetie Belle slowly rose up to face her to friends. "Hi, guys." Sweetie Belle replied, in a monotone voice.

Applebloom looked Scootaloo, wearing a worried expression. Scootaloo shrugged her shoulders. "What's wrong, Sweetie Belle?" Asked Scootaloo.

Sweetie Belle smiled, she realized that if there were anypony that she could talk to about her problem, it would Applebloom and Scootaloo. "Well, if I tell you guys what's wrong you have to promise me that you won't tell anypony else."

"We promise." The two fillies replied.

"Do you Pinkie Pie promise?" Sweetie Belle asked further, as she did the several motions that signaled a Pinkie Pie promise.

"We Pinkie Pie promise." Scootaloo and Applebloom replied mirroring Sweetie Belle's movements.

"Okay, we need to be quiet. Come closer." Sweetie Belle gestured her friends closer with her hoof. Applebloom and Scootaloo got closer. Sweetie Belle kept gesturing, and the two ponies got closer. They kept getting closer until Sweetie Belle's mouth was next to the Applebloom's and Scootaloo's ears. "I think," Sweetie Belle very quietly whispered. "I might have a crush... On Spike." She finished.

Applebloom and Scootaloo both jumped back. "What!?" They both screamed.

Sweetie Belle quickly placed her two front hooves on their mouths. "Sshhh! I told you to be quiet!"

"Oh, yeah. Sorry." Applebloom apologized. "So, why are ya all of a sudden gettin' romancey thoughts 'bout Spike?"

"Well, this morning..." Sweetie Belle went on to tell Applebloom and Scootaloo everything that had happened to her that day. "...And then Rarity told me that I probably have a crush on him, and the more I think about it, the more I think she's right."

Appebloom sat still while Scootaloo held a hoof to her chind and squinted her eyes. "I got it!" Scootaloo yelled as she jumped into the air. "You're answer is simple Sweetie Belle. Lets just go ask Spike what he thought of his time the spent with you." Scootaloo beamed, thinking her idea was foolproof.

"No way! I can't just ask Spike that! It'd be embarrassing," Sweetie Belle said as her face turned red.

"Ugh, fine. Then me and Applebloom will go ask him. Right, Applebloom?" Scootaloo looked to Applebloom with a big smile.

"Yeah, Ah think that's a good idea!" Applebloom agreed.

"See, Sweetie Belle! It'll be great! We might even get our cutie marks with this!"

"Yer, right! Let's go!" Applebloom shouted.

"Cutie Mark Crusaders Matchmakers GO!" The two fillies yelled in unison as they jumped into the air and bumped hooves. Then they disappeared out of Sweetie Belle's room.

Sweetie Belle sat in her room alone. "I should've never told them any of that stuff."
***

Spike picked yet another how to organize book and placed it alphabetically on a shelf. He turned to find that there was still a several piles of books placed around the library. Spike knew he should have had this mess cleaned up by now, but he was distracted. Ever since Sweetie Belle fled from him at Rarity's he could not stop thinking about her. He tried to go over as many scenario's in his head as he could, but none of them could explain why Sweetie Belle panicked the way she did.

Spike was knocked out of his thoughts when he heard the library door open. He turned to find Applebloom and Scootaloo standing at the entryway. "Hi Spike!" The two Cutie Mark Crusaders said in unison.

"Oh, hey guys!" Spike replied. "Do you guys need a book?"

"Nope, we came to see you, Spike!" Scootaloo replied.

Spike tilted his head in confusion. "You came to see me?" He asked as he pointed a claw to himself.

"Yup!" Applebloom confirmed.

"Okay well, what do you need with me?" Spike asked.

"We just have ONE question for you." Scootaloo raised her hoof, emphasizing the word one. "What do you think of Sweetie Belle?"

Spike was caught off guard by the strange question. "Why are these two asking me this? Doesn this have something to do with the way Sweetie Belle acted earlier?" Spike thought.

"Well?" The two fillies asked as they got closer to Spike.

Spike took a step back to regain his comfort bubble. "Um, well. I don't know. She's nice?"

"Ugh." Scootaloo hit her face with a hoof. "No, how do really feel? Like, deep down inside."

"Why are you even asking me this?" Spike asked.

"That doesn't matter, Spike." Applebloom interrupted. "Just think about it. How do ya really feel 'bout Sweetie Belle?"

Spike brought a claw to his chin. He squinted his eyes and thought hard for a few seconds. "I don't know. I like hanging out with Sweetie Belle. I think she's cool, and she is a great friend to have. So, I guess I could say, I really like Sweetie Belle."

Applebloom and Scootaloo looked at each other both wearing an ear to ear grin. "I knew it!" Scootaloo yelled.

"Ah did too!" Applebloom shouted.

"Knew what?" Spike asked, confused.

"Let's go tell Sweetie Belle!" The two filles yelled, then they vanished.

Spike stood alone in the library. "I really don't understand fillies."

Author's Note:

It's back! After such a long gap, I was finally able to write another chapter! Hope you guys enjoyed this one and I hope that the wait wasn't too bad on any of you. I doubt anyone actually waits with anticipation for this fic anyway. So no harm done, right? Don't really have anything else to say, so I'm just gonna go.