• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 9,543 Views, 317 Comments

Fear and Trembling - shortskirtsandexplosions



Princess Celestia entreats her apprentice; Twilight Sparkle must make a sacrifice.

  • ...
39
 317
 9,543

three

"You've written her a letter?" Spike asked, holding the scroll tentatively in a pair of scaled hands.

"Yes, Spike," Twilight said. The morning sunlight cast shadows over the bags beneath her eyes. Stifling a yawn, she paced to a bookshelf and put up the last of several manuscripts back into place. "And now that you're awake, I'd appreciate it if you sent it to the Princess without delay."

"What I mean to say is"—Spike scratched the spines on his head and squinted quizzically at her—"you wrote a letter to the Princess without me?" He looked hurt as he hugged the scroll to his chest and bit his lip. "What... what if there are spelling errors or grammar mistakes?"

"I wrote it just fine, Spike. I checked." Twilight dusted off a few more books as she said, "I need your help with making many letters, just not this one."

"But what if the letter's creased along the edges? I know how much you hate it when there are wrinkles in the scrolls you have me send to the Princess!" Daringly, he poked a claw at the red ribbon. "Lemme just open it up and take a look—"

"No!" Twilight shouted.

Spike hopped back, juggling the scroll a few times before clutching it and shivering. "Okay! Jeez! I'm sorry! I didn't realize it was that private!"

"It's a letter that I wrote—me—to the Princess!" Twilight snapped. "What did you think, Spike?"

"I..." He gulped and stared guiltily down at his feet. His voice shook as he managed, "I-I dunno, Twilight. Please forgive me..."

Twilight blinked at him. She sighed, ran a hoof over her face, then trotted over. Bearing a gentle smile, she held his shoulders and said, "Spike, thank you for offering to help. I expect no less from my favorite assistant. But this is a matter of importance..."

"Isn't it always?"

She frowned briefly. "Extreme importance." Her face stretched as she softly added, "I can't explain it, Spike, but only the Princess and I can see this..." She fidgeted. "Th-this conversation that we're having. There's... uh... a lot at stake."

"You mean..." Spike gulped, his eyes twitching in momentary fear. "Like 'Discord-is-back-and-ticked-off' at stake?"

"I..." Twilight chewed on the end of her lip, then smiled. "Trust me, Spike. If it was something truly that severe, I w-would let you know first and foremost."

He gazed at her for several seconds. Eventually, his expression softened and his spines stopped drooping. "Okay, Twilight. I'm sorry for being so nosy."

"Nothing to be sorry for, Spike. As a matter of fact, I'm glad that you're always looking after me..." Her voice trailed off. She couldn't look at him straight anymore.

It mattered little. He was already holding the scroll high up, opening his mouth, and launching a breath of fiery green magic. Licking his lips as if to clean the embers off his face, he pivoted and smiled proudly at her. "There! Sent!"

Twilight breathed easily, as though a massive weight had been taken off her shoulders. Whether her letter was a good idea or not, it made no difference; it had been delivered. It was out of her hooves. "Thank you, Spike," she muttered in a breathy voice as she turned around, teetered slightly, and made for the stairs. "You can go back to your morning business."

"Yeah, but what about your morning?" Spike's voice remarked in a concerned tone. "Did you get any sleep at all last night?"

"Well, no, not really." Twilight fidgeted at the base of the stairs. "I've just been... busy..."

"Well, that much is obvious." Spike folded his arms and nodded. "Would it kill ya to try relaxing today? I mean, you sent that letter to the Princess; maybe an early morning nap or a walk would do?"

"I can't go to sleep, Spike," Twilight muttered. Her eyes blinked lethargically, and a thin smile crossed her lips. "But a walk sounds really, really nice..."

"It's a lot better than pacing!" he exclaimed with a fanged grin. "And you get plenty of summer sights to enjoy! I can't think of a better way for Twilight Sparkle, Ponyville's most powerful magician, to put her mind at ease!"

"Hmmm..." Twilight chuckled breathily. "Somehow, Spike, you always know how to turn advice into flattery."

"Hey, what else do you pay me for?"

"But I don't pay you anything."

"Yeah, well, someday we'll fix that," he stated with a mock snort.

Twilight chuckled again, then fidgeted where she stood. A cold breath overcame her as she turned and murmured toward her assistant, "Spike, do you remember our trip to the Crystal Kingdom?"

"How can I not? It was, like, four weeks ago!"

"I guess what I'm trying to ask is: did you enjoy it there?" She turned and looked steadily at him. "The place? The ponies? The weather?"

Spike scratched his head, shrugging. "Well, it was kind of chilly, but nothing that a dragon can't handle. And the Crystal ponies turned out to be really fun and interesting once they got the depression of King Sombra out of them." He looked up at Twilight, his slitted eyes squinting. "Why do you ask?" His face lit up with a grin. "Are you thinking of taking us back there on vacation sometime?"

Twilight slowly nodded. "Something like that, yes..."

"Well, lemme know in advance before we go! I wanna pack properly this time!" He waddled off towards the far side of the library. "Such a nice place with so many juicy rocks around, and I can't even eat a single one? Brrrrr... I'd better bring some dragon snacks or else I might offend the locals."

Twilight smiled to herself. She trotted up the stairs and entered her room. She noticed how brightly the sunlight was pouring in through her window. The sounds of Ponyville wafted in, complete with birds and chuckling ponies and bustling activity. She had spent the last twenty-four hours under a virtual cloud; she had forgotten the beauty in everyday details. It amazed Twilight just how easily she could have given into despondency. Surely the Princess just needed a fellow mind of rationality to convince her that her missive was misguided. The world was so bright and lively that Twilight couldn't rightly imagine any amount of darkness consuming it. Some way or another, everything was going to be alright.

Yes, a walk would do her good. She had to see more of that brightness—had to fill her eyes with color and life. She grabbed a saddlebag, filled it with a few cherished books, and set out for the town park in north Ponyville.

Just as she was stepping out of her room, however, she bumped into Spike. The breathless whelpling had a scroll in his claws. "Twilight! This... This came for you, just now!"

"I'll check the mail later, Spike," Twilight said. "I'll remember to thank Derpy next time I see her—"

"No, not that kind of mail!" He coughed up a few ashen green fumes, wiped his chin dry, and held the scroll out further. "The Princess—"

"Already?!" Twilight's exclamation was higher pitched than she had intended. She fell back on her haunches, trembling visibly. "But...but... are you sure?"

"Of course I am! I belched it up just a minute ago!"

"It... it..." Twilight snatched the letter out of his grasp with lavender telekinesis, turning it over before a pair of twitching eyes. "Is it my letter, and she just returned it to me?"

"No way! The seal is different. Besides..." He rubbed his throat, wincing. "There was something heavy inside it this time, like a thick pebble or something."

Twilight stared breathlessly at the parchment. She gulped and glanced forlornly at Spike.

Spike saw the look in her eyes. Without protesting, he stepped backwards and made for the bottom of the stairs. "Right. Well, uhm, hope everything turns out alright." He gave her one last, worried glance before disappearing towards the lower end of the library.

Twilight trotted numbly back into her room, shutting the door behind her. She stopped beside her bed and ripped the seal off with one flick of her magic. Immediately, a jagged purple crystal fell out. She caught it in her telekinesis before it could hit the floor. She stared at it intently, unsure as to the sharp prism's purpose. Reluctantly, she turned her attention to the unrolled manuscript. As she read more and more, her jaw dropped and the saddlebag slumped off her spine.




Dear Twilight Sparkle,

Though I had anticipated doubt and uncertainty to vex your spirit upon reading my letter, I had not expected you to respond directly to it, especially without having acted out the command which I had expressly given you.

Yes, I know that the task is grim, even incredibly heart-breaking, but I thought that I had made it clear in the first letter that all of Equestria is at risk and our time is of the essence. Every moment that you and I waste in this secret communication over the leylines of Spike's breath, we risk losing any and all control of the Elements of Harmony. Once the Elements have been consumed by the spreading evil, all hope for Equestria is lost. I cannot pronounce the form of this evil or else malevolent forces may intercept our messages, and then we would lose all chance of restoring balance to this world. Perhaps I was not emphatic enough about this in the original missive, and for that I can only blame myself.

No, Twilight, there is no other solution to cleansing this abominable taint. I had thoroughly considered all options and explored all magical possibilities long before giving you the unsavory command in the first place. If there was a peaceful solution to this, an answer that would not involve the elimination of those whom you've allowed to become so dear to you, I would not have even given you the order in the first place. Alas, too much has been compromised already, and I fear that you—in tarrying to fulfill your necessary task—have come close to risking the security of this entire kingdom.

To make things more expedient, I have provided within this letter a crystal carved from the heart of the Canterlot Mountains, from the oldest and most purified rocks that form the foundation of Equestria's capital. The substance is a pure conductor of magical energy, and it will give your powers a buffer that will multiply your spells by tenfold. If you use this in conjunction with a high level transmogrification spell, you should be able to reduce any matter within a small radius to pure steam, living or otherwise. The evaporation would be purely instantaneous, not to mention painless. I trust you know the purpose of this, Twilight; it is the means to do that which needs to be done as swiftly and mercifully as possible.

I do not expect you to appreciate the nature of this task. I won't be surprised if you come to disrespect me, or even hate me. I do, however, expect you to trust me, my good and faithful student. I knew from the days when you were a little filly that you would grow to accomplish great and mighty things. I did not state that they would all be pleasant things. For the good of the many, the sacrifice of the few is something that must not be disputed, for that is what this is: a sacrifice. Harmony must stay harmonious; our world depends on it.

Take this crystal, and then take your friends someplace quiet, someplace peaceful, someplace where the knowledge of their passing will not spread to other ponies. When they are gone, and the Elements are restored, we can work together on vanquishing the rest of the evil from this land, and then I will take it upon myself to explain to the kingdom what has been done and the sacred reason behind it. Again, you must trust me, Twilight, as I love and trust you.

Earnestly,

Princess Celestia of Equestria



Twilight held a hoof over her face. There was no point to re-reading the letter; the message given to her was clear, concrete. The Canterlot crystal weighed heavily in her magical grip, like a violet dagger waiting to plunge into weak flesh. Every time a gust of wind blew in through the window, the crystalline object resonated with an unearthly ringing noise, piercing Twilight's ears, wringing the shivers out of her soul.

She trotted over and sat on the bed, positioning the crystal beside herself on the covers. She stared out the window into the bright vistas of Ponyville. All of the colors were gone; all joy was drained from the landscape. Just as warmly as the day began, it had been sapped of all hope, so that what remained was a gray, threadbare frame of that which had so briefly blossomed before her desperate senses.

Twilight had contested the Princess' royal authority. She had, for the first time, taken the expressively written words of her mentor and treated them like garbage. There simply was no other way to look at it; her respect for the ruler of Equestria had dwindled to such a low point that she had challenged her integrity by suggesting an alternative to her plan.

But what of Twilight's friends? What of her life in Ponyville, the companions she had made, or the memories that they had formed together? Was all of that nothing? Did the Princess have the right to take all of that away, regardless of the ends that justified it?

Twilight shuddered. Her ears drooped and she lowered her face to her folded legs, trembling.

Of course the Princess was right. She was always right. Her knowledge was infinite; her wisdom knew no bounds. She had asked Twilight to do confusing, alarming, and even painful things before, and they were all worth obeying through acts of absolute faith and trust, for Celestia always had a plan in action that would profit Twilight in the long run. Even if Twilight's friends had to perish overnight, it would only mean a promising future and the opportunity for better learning, better growing, better being.

But what had Twilight done now? She had doubted Celestia, questioned her, even insulted her with her letter of response. She shuddered to imagine the degree to which Celestia had withheld her anger and disappointment, choosing instead to focus her reply on the problem at hand. She even had to resort to hoof-holding Twilight like a foal, delivering her a crystal buffer through which Twilight's necessary task could be made all the easier.

Twilight held the violet prism in her hooves, gently toying with the jagged edges as it reflected her jaded eyes in the noonday sunlight. The piece of Canterlot rock was like a poison pellet, an end to the lives of those she had come to love and cherish.

And, yet, it was also a key to a new chapter in her life. Celestia had always been opening doors for Twilight, ushering her into daunting yet rewarding experiences, evolving her into a masterful sorceress destined to help the ponies of Equestria. Now, just as Celestia was giving her yet another opportunity, Twilight was dragging her hooves, and for what? Sentimentality?

Celestia had lived for countless centuries; surely she knew both the preciousness and frivolity of existence. Was this something she was attempting to impart upon Twilight? Did Twilight have to learn for herself that there were unfathomable sacrifices that needed to be made for the good of the kingdom?

The only thing she was certain of was this: Celestia had given Twilight so much, and Twilight had given back so little. A master was supposed to grant wisdom to a pupil, but the apprentice was also bound to adapt and grow from the knowledge bequeathed her. Right now, there was no growing, there was no evolving. There was only doubting.

And Twilight had delayed enough as it was.

Gripping the crystal hard, Twilight clenched her eyes shut, took several breaths, and steeled herself for what she was about to do.