• Published 27th Nov 2012
  • 4,789 Views, 105 Comments

Steel Apples - Silentpegasus

  • ...
6
 105
 4,789

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Steel got to the school yard early and began to set up his tools. He started a fire and placed a small crucible in the center, he off loaded his anvil with his magic and set it down next to the blocks of metal he brought with him. As he sat there he took out his pipe and began to chew on the end, he only did this when he was nervous. The pipe belonged to his grandfather that he left for him, it was hoof crafted in Gryphonia and very rare to come by. One by one he saw the children enter the school and looked at him with excitement in their eyes. Applejack soon arrived and helped off load the rest of Steel’s equipment. Soon the children began to funnel out into the school yard and circled around Steel and his equipment.

“Okay, my little ponies. Steel Hammer has volunteered his time to give you a demonstration of how to craft metal. Please give him your undivided attention.” Cherilee said as she eyed the students.

“Thank you Ms. Cherilee.” he said as he turned his attention to the little fillies and colts. “Alright kids who here knows what forging is?” Steel saw a familiar white unicorn raise a hoof. “yes Sweetie Belle.”

“I think it’s the art of crafting metal into a different form.” the little filly said with a blush.

“Correct.You see I heat the metal until it is reduced liquid form and then re-shape it into anything I choose.” he said as he dipped a metal ladle into the crucible and took out the bubbling silver liquid. “Now in this form metal is extremely dangerous, if it get’s on anything it will burn and will harden soon afterwards.” he said as he put the liquid back into the crucible. He then saw two fillies starting to leave the group, a grey and pink earth pony. “Um excuse me, where are you two going?”

“Well we have no interest to learn how metal is made. It’s dirty work and why should we take orders from a dirty blacksmith and a farmer?” said the small pink filly.

“Why you two little-” Applejack began but then was cut off.

“It’s alright Applejack.” Steel said as he turned his attention back to the two fillies. “Are you Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon?”

“Yes, why?”

“Your reputations precede you. And I suggest you sit and listen unless you want me to fail you both for today.” he said with a small grin.

“What you can’t do that! Can he Ms. Cherilee?” asked Diamond Tiara

“Yes he can, Mr. Steel is in charge for the day, he and Ms. Applejack have the same authority as I do.” Ms. Cherilee said with a cold stare. The two filly’s returned with a small grumble. Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom let out a small laugh. The rest of the day went smoothy, Steel decided to make some bowls and cups for the kids to take home. As the day wrapped up he saw a small green unicorn with scissors as a cutie mark raise his hoof.

“Yes, in the back?”

“Um have you ever made any weapons?”

Steel bit his lip at the question.

“Yes I have, in the past but I don’t any more.”

“Why, not?”

“Never really much call for it in Ponyville. Plus I had a bad ‘experience’ with forging a dagger one time.” he said as he began to clean up.

“What happened?”

“Sorry, but that’s on a need to know basis. And you all don’t need to know.” he said as he packed up the last of his equipment. “Sorry kids, It’s time I take my leave, good luck and stay in school.” He said as he loaded up his cart and trotted back to the shop with Applejack following close behind.

“So why don’t you make weapons anymore?” Applejack asked.

“AJ, please don’t ask me that.” he said as he opened his shop with a sad look on his face.

“Alright, Ah won’t pry.” Applejack said as she trotted inside the shop.

“Thanks for your help today AJ, those kids were a handful.”

“Don’t mention it, plus you still owe me for helping ya.” she said as she walked past him as she brushed her tail under his chin and trotted up to his home. Steel followed with haste after his mare friend. Steel began to show her around his home. When he came back from the restroom he found his mare friend sprawled out on his bed with her hat off and hair undone. Steels jaw dropped at the sight of such beauty.

“Hey, city boy how about a roll in the hay?” she said with a devilish grin. Steel walked calmly over to her and kissed her passionately.

“Well, I’m not one to deny such a beautiful mare.” he said with a grin as he turned out the light.

Steel woke up to the smell of apples and sweat. He looked over to the orange mare sleeping peacefully next to him. Steel got up off the bed and went to the restroom and washed up. Steel returned to his room seeing that AJ had woken up and was now sitting on his bed with a satisfied grin on her face. “Morning, partner.”

“Morning.” he said with smile. Applejack then got to her hooves and stumbled a bit.

“Great, how am ah supposed to buck apples if I can’t even walk straight.” she said as she tried to regain her balance.

“Sorry.” he said as he trotted over to his mare friend. She then gave him a quick kiss.

“I’m not.” Applejack said as she nuzzled his chest. Applejack then went into the kitchen to make them some breakfast. Steel went down to the store and started to set up shop until he heard a knock at the door. Steel opened it to see Rarity.

“Hello, Steel I have a friend here who-” Rarity stopped as she saw Applejack descend from the stair case. “Oh, I didn’t realize you had company, I’ll come back later and..oof!” Rarity said as Steel grabbed and pulled her inside the shop. “Well I say!”

“Rarity you’d better not tell any-pony about this!” Applejack said with an angry look in her eyes.

“Of corse darling, I wouldn’t dream of it.”

“You said you had a friend with you?” Steel said as he crossed his front hooves.

“Yes, a friend of mine from Canterlot, he claims to know you. You can come in now.” Rarity said to the figure standing outside the door.

“Hello old boy.” said the familiar voice. Steel was shocked beyond belief at who stood before him, his Uncle.

“Uncle Fancy! I can’t believe it!” he said as he hugged the stallion. Rarity’s and Applejacks face were frozen in state of shock.

“Fa-Fancy Pants is your u-uncle!?” Rarity said as she tried to come to terms with the situation.

“Yeah on my moms side! He helped me get out of Canterlot.” Steel said to the white mare.

“Have I ever told you how much I love metal.” Rarity cooed but soon felt a hoof on her shoulder. Applejack was giving Rarity a stare that would make an Ursa Major cower in fear.

“Don’t even THINK about it!” Applejack said with rage in her voice.

“Come now Applejack, do you really think that I would come between you two?” Rarity said with a smile. Fancy’s attention then shifted to the orange mare.

“Ah, so you’re Applejack. My nephew has told me quite a bit about you in his letters. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.” Fancy said as he bowed his head.

“Well, shucks mister it’s nice to meet the stallion that helped my colt-friend.” she said as she trotted next to Steel.

“So, Uncle what are you doing here? Hows Iron doing?”

“I was doing some business with Rarity, when she mentioned a certain blacksmith entered town a few months ago. And I decided that I should check and see if it was you.” he said with a grin. “Iron Sword is doing fine he asks me about you a lot, he’ll be overjoyed when I tell him that I saw you.”

“That’s great! tell him I’ll visit soon.” Steel said with a big smile on his face.

“Who’s Iron Sword?” Applejack asked.

“He was my mentor back in Canterlot he taught me everything I know about forging. He’s the closest thing to father I have. No offense Uncle.”

“None taken. I have an Idea, how about you three show me around Ponyville.” Fancy said.

“Great idea! Is it alright with you AJ?”

“It’s fine I just ned to stop at Sweet Apple Acres to let my family know I’m okay.”

“Perfect that’ll be our first stop. I just need five minutes to get ready.” Steel said as he hurried up stairs.

“I’m glad he found you Ms. Apple, I haven’t seen him smile like that since before his mother died.” Fancy said as he looked at the orange mare.

“What was his mother like?”

“She was a very cheerful unicorn, my sister. Whenever I was down in the dumps she always made me feel happy again. Then she was taken from us and that’s when Steel stopped smiling. He blames himself for her death, he’s had to carry that burden for so long.”

“Why does he blame himself?” Rarity asked. Fancy realized he’s said too much.

“I’m sorry ladies it’s not my place to say.” Fancy said with a sad look on his face. Steel then returned to the group freshened up and with a smile on his face.

“Ready to go?”

“Yes, lets get going.” Rarity said as she turned towards the door with Fancy right behind her. Applejack managed to fake a smile as Steel passed her and trotted outside, she couldn’t help but wonder about Steel’s mother as the group made their way to Sweet Apple Acres. Rarity and Fancy began to talk and gossip about business. Applejack led the way to Sweet Apple Acres, once the group got to the farm Applejack introduced Fancy to Granny Smith, Applebloom and Big Mac, who then pulled Steel inside the barn.

“Can ah talk to you for a minute?” Big mac said to the blacksmith.

“Sure what’s up?”

“Why is my sister walking with slight limp?” Big mac said as he glared at the unicorn.

“Um....well I......oh forget it. We spent the night together.” Steel said as he looked the large stallion in the eye. Big mac then took a deep breath.

“Ah appreciate ya for being honest with me. However I still gotta do this.” he said as his right hoof collided with Steel’s face sending him flying out of the barn. “Sorry about that.”

“WHAT THE BUCK WAS THAT FOR?” Steel said as he clutched his face in pain.

“It was nothing personal, just my brotherly duties. I would’ve had to do it to any stallion that took my sisters virginity, it just so happened that it was you.” Big Mac said as helped Steel up from the ground. “And I’m only gonna say this once break her heart and I’ll break you.” he said as his eyes narrowed on the unicorn who was now bleeding from his nose.

“Wouldn’t even dream of it Mac.” he said as he shook the stallions hoof. “But, I’ll have to get you back one day for hitting me.” Steel said with a grin.

“Ah suppose that’s fair.” Mac said with a chuckle the two friends then trotted inside the farm house to rejoin the others. Applejack rushed to her colt friends side with a worried look on her face.

“What happened?”

“Just stumbled over some farm equipment.” he said to his mare friend.

“Right, I’m pretty sure it was red tool.” she said as she eyed her brother who had started to whistle.

“Well, lets get going.” Steel said as he put a hoof on his mare friends back and led her out of the house where Fancy and Rarity were waiting for them. The group then headed down into Ponyville. They stopped for lunch at Sugar Cube Corner, and then visited Twilight at the library. Fancy was impressed by Twilights knowledge and book collection. When Celestia’s sun started to lower Fancy escorted Rarity back to Carousel Boutique. The trio went back to Steel’s shop.

“Well old boy, it was great catching up with you, but I must take my leave and return to Canterlot.” Fancy said with warm smile.

“Yes it was great to see you too and tell Iron I’ll visit him soon.”

“Of corse, goodbye.” Fancy said as he left the shop and trotted back to the train station. Applejack then began to walk back to Sweet Apple Acres after she kissed Steel goodnight. The black smith decided to go to bed it had been an exhausting day and he had to get up for work tomorrow. He laid down in his bed and drifted off to blissful sleep.