• Published 27th Nov 2012
  • 1,857 Views, 67 Comments

A Second Chance: Fading Memories... - Heavy Rains



A man from the 1920's finds himself in a world full of ponies!

  • ...
3
 67
 1,857

April 17th.

------------Equestria, April 17th. 1921. --------------

THUMP

I awoke from my slumber to find that the cottage was inadvertently upside down. Around me I could see that most of the objects within the dwelling were fastened to the ceiling by intangible bonds. I rubbed my temples as I began to feel light headed. I also noticed an auburn blur start to travel across the ceiling; upon closer examination I realized that said blur was a fox, and that I was apparently lying inverted on the floor of the cottage.

“Danny are you okay?!” I flipped over to face a voice I was becoming very familiar with.

“Dandy as a dewdropper.” I rose to my feet eliciting a few audible pops from my spine as I stretched.

“Are you sure? It sounded like you hit the floor awfully hard…” Fluttershy; always worried.

“I’m sure…” Before I could finish my sentence I felt something brush my legs. As I looked down I noticed the fox pup staring up at me with a quizzical expression. I also noticed that she had a bandaged hind leg. “Where’d you find this little ankle biter?”

“Well…”

-------------------->: ~~Flashback to Rainbow’s Practice Session.~~ :<----------------------

“Your loss, let’s go Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash then soared through the airspace outside my home. As I began to follow I looked back to Danny to which I received a nod. Reassured that he’d be okay I closed the door and followed the signature colors of a certain somepony.

At the end of the rainbow-bricked road was none other than an annoyed looking Rainbow Dash; probably due to the fact that I decided to take my time and visit a patient…

“Sheesh Fluttershy, Did you get lost on the way here?” Oh I knew I shouldn’t have gotten sidetracked…

“I...um… stopped along the way to check up on that otter I took care of last week… I’m sorry.” She let out a sigh and landed next to me. I escaped eye contact by concealing myself behind my mane.

“It’s alright, just try to be quick about it next time…okay?” I dared a peek from my cover and didn’t see the contempt I expected, but rather the warm and vibrant smile I admire. I admire a lot of things in Rainbow. Her boldness, her determination, her resilience, her confidence… If only I could have the courage she displays on a daily basis…

“Okay.”

“Good. Now watch this!” The multi-chromatic Pegasus lifted from the ground with a series thrusts from her wings. Each one causing her to ascend higher and more rapidly above the skyline surrounding Ponyville, before disappearing in the radiance of Celestia’s glow. For a moment all was silent… Then a stream of near sound-breaking air rushed past. As it continued the contrail following the lively mare began to pool around her. She was going to do it… The Sonic Rainboom…

Just before the barricade of resonation was broken; Rainbow began revolving around a plot of land. She wasn’t going to attempt the Rainboom… She was doing something else. Mere seconds after she began a mottled funnel was rising into the air. Her contrail had infused with the rotating air causing a flecked tempest to spawn in her place.

------------------------------------->: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :<--------------------------------

“Wait are you saying she made a Rainbow Twister?”

“She prefers the name Tor-Rain-no but, yes.”

“Okay I just wanted to get some clarification. Continue…”

“As I was saying…”

------------------------------------->: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :<--------------------------------

The Tor-Rain-no began to grow in size; nearly twice the height of my cottage. Rainbow was too engrossed in her display to realize she was beginning to uproot small plants in the gust’s vicinity. One of which nearly crashed into me.

“Rainbow that’s…um…nice but can you please stop now?”

“WHAT?” I should have guessed she wouldn’t hear me at the velocity she was moving.

Before I could ask again; I witnessed an orange blur spinning around the vortex. If I didn’t know any better I’d say that it was howling… Wait… I do hear howling!

“RAINBOW!!! STOP!!!” Thankfully the headstrong mare heard my plea and came hurdling out of the airstream she had created, which almost died down immediately.

“What’s up Flu…” I ignored her and headed straight for the fetal ball of ginger fluff. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be a fox pup.

“You poor little pup! Are you hurt?” I now took notice of the awkward angle its right hind leg was in. It was near completely shattered along the fibula, with hairline fractures across the tibia. Its heel and knee seem fine…

“What the hay Fluttersh… Oh! What happened to that little guy?” Rainbow hovered over as I continued my inspection. Rainbow apparently hadn’t realized the lack of a penis when she assumed her gender.

“SHE got sucked into your little stunt and was launched at a nearby tree. The poor dear…” Rainbow looked at the defunct leg and gasped.

“I’m… I’m sorry Fluttershy…” I sighed inwardly. No matter what Rainbow does, I’ll always forgive her.

“Thanks but I’m not the one you should be apologizing to.” I gingerly grasped the petite form and began to head back to my cottage with Rainbow Dash not far behind. Upon my entrance I found Danny asleep with a book covering his face, and Angel poking him with a ladle. Not wanting to delay, I placed the pup on a table and gathered the materials required to save the mangled leg. Rainbow stood in the doorway observing while I worked.

After an immense amount of time, I was finished. The hind leg was splinted and bandaged, preventing more damage from occurring to the already decimated bones within. As I examined my craftsmareship, Rainbow hovered behind.

“Is she going to be okay?” I turned to look at the mare. Regret filling her eyes.

“She’ll be fine… her leg will heal up just fine as long as she gets her rest.” Rainbow’s entire disposition perked up when she registered the words.

“Whew… That was a close one. I thought I would be responsible for crippling a small animal for the rest of its life.” I couldn’t help but smile at her concern for the small pup.

-------------------->: ~~Back to the present~~ :<----------------------

“So, Rainbow sent her flying at a tree?” I honestly had a very hard time trying to contain the laughter brewing inside me.

“In short… Yes.”

“Well I’m glad she’s alright. It’d be shame for pretty little thing like her to be doomed with a limp for the rest of her days…”

“Alright… I’m off to bed Danny. I would suggest you do the same… If you don’t mind me suggesting.” What?

“Why are you going to sleep so early? I just woke up!”

“Danny… It’s half past midnight… You slept all day.” I slept for 18 hours? That’s a new record…

“Oh… well goodnight then Fluttershy. Sleep well.”

“Thanks Danny, you too.”

I waited until Fluttershy went to her room upstairs before I decided on what to do…

What I decided was probably not my best Idea but I was going to follow through with it nonetheless…

I’m going to go outside…

Author's Note:

So I'm going to let you choose where Danny goes! The options are: The EverFree Forest, Sweet Apple Acres, or Ponyville Proper... Put your vote in the comments section. - HR