• Published 29th Aug 2011
  • 1,795 Views, 5 Comments

Rodeo Gaga - Parchment_Scroll



Rarity follows through on Applejack's dare and enters a rodeo while the farmpony is unable to.

  • ...
 5
 1,795

But You Must!

Rodeo Gaga
But You Must

"Oh dear, dear, dear," Rarity fretted. "I am ever so sorry, Applejack. How... how is your hip?"

Applejack grimaced. "Ah'll be fine," she said. While she didn't actually come out and say "eventually," it hung unsaid in the air between them. "Jes need ta rest up a mite, is all. Now what's got y'all in such a lather, Rarity?"

"Oh," Rarity said, crestfallen. "Oh, I hate to even mention it what with your current condition and all, but... Well, I require your expertise. You see, as I'm sure you're quite aware, the annual Equestrian Roving Rodeo is coming to Ponyville this year..." She looked over at Applejack, hoping the earth pony would infer her meaning.

"Ah'm aware," Applejack said with a wry smile. "Fact is, Ah wouldn't'a known fer a couple'a days yet if it t'weren't fer Applebloom bringin' a flyer by earlier t'day." She cocked her head. "Ah reckon yer the last pony ta care about that sorta thing, tho, Rarity. So what gives?"

"What... gives," Rarity said with difficulty, "is that the Roving Rodeo is, in fact, a major event in the uppermost echelons of Canterlot society. A chance for the nobility to, ah, get their hooves dirty, so to speak."

Applejack nodded. "Well, ah reckon that's good fer anypony. S'all in good fun, after all, and everypony likes good fun."

Rarity nodded. "Everypony," she said, "including Princess Celestia."

The light dawned on Applejack. "Ah git it now," she said. "Y'all want ta make a big splash in front o' th' Princess, but ya don't want ta stand out too much." She grinned. "Ah got just th' thang. Y'all wait right here, an' Ah'll get th' family album." She started towards the farmhouse, then grimaced and collapsed, her off hind leg too injured to support her weight.

"Perhaps," Rarity said, "you should wait here, and I shall go fetch the album, no?"

"Perhaps," Applejack acknowledged ruefully.

* * * * *

The Mayor smiled. Things were going so smoothly for a change. She would have to write to Princess Celestia to thank her for allowing Twilight Sparkle to stay in Ponyville after the Summer Sun Celebration. Winter Wrap-Up had gone off without a hitch for the first time in years. The presentation of the Prize Pony of Ponyville to Applejack had been a major event instead of an impromptu gathering as previous such awards had been. And now, the Roving Rodeo! And it was all thanks to the unicorn librarian's exemplary organizational skills.

Her office had been bustling with activity all day, but the most frequent visitor had been Miss Sparkle herself, coming to personally update her on the Rodeo's status. If there was one thing Twilight Sparkle needed, the Mayor thought, it was a bit more confidence. Ah, well, she thought, that'll come with time and experience. Her ears perked up, and she felt a sly smile spreading across her muzzle. Experience, she thought, like judging an event or two in the Rodeo! It was perfect! The hosting city was allowed to provide two judges to each event, after all.

* * * * *

It hadn't taken long to find the Apple family albums (plural, as it happens, because some ancestor of Applejack's had shown organizational foresight that would make Twilight Sparkle proud and separated photographs by type of event) and still less time to locate the one dedicated to rodeo performances over the generations. Big Macintosh, ever the gentlecolt, had been quite a help, and Rarity made a mental note to repay him. Perhaps with a nice custom saddle? A new harness for his yoke? She'd have to ask Applejack.

In any case, she and Applejack were going over the photographs, and she found them not only an education, but an interesting picture of rodeo fashion changing over the years. "Yes, yes," she muttered to herself, "there's actually quite a bit more to work with here than I'd originally suspected."

"What, did y'all think all us farm an' rodeo types were complete rubes?" Applejack frowned as Rarity's discomfort became apparent. "Don't answer," she said.

"Oh, my, Applejack, you are simply stunning in this spangled saddle and blanket," Rarity said, trying to deflect her friend's ire with a compliment. "And quite the trick roper as always, I see."

Applejack looked at the indicated photograph, then broke into a grin. After a moment, the grin became stifled chuckles, then a full belly laugh. "Well thank ya kindly, Rarity, but ah reckon y'all of all ponies woulda noticed that ain't me in that thar picture." She jabbed a hoof at the picture.

"What are you talking about, Applejack?" Rarity frowned, taking another look at the black and white photograph. She'd seen her friend performing that exact rope trick several times over the years, and recognized the skill and, frankly, perfect posture and control required for... She took a closer look at where Applejack was pointing, and felt horrified. She prided herself, after all, on attention to detail, and a pony's cutie mark was quite a bit more than just a detail. "Is... is that...?"

Applejack grinned. "Eeeyup," she drawled. "Granny Smith, champeen trick roper o' th' Apple family fer better'n two decades, afore she taught me ever'thin' Ah know."

Rarity beamed at her friend. "Look at you, cut from the same bolt of cloth, definitely." Eagerly, she flipped ahead in the book. Once the photographs were in color, it became much easier to tell when one generation moved aside for the next. "Ah," she said. "There you are. I imagine if we took this picture and put it up next to the one of your grandmother, the only difference would be the... well, your cutie marks!"

Applejack smiled. "Eeyup," she said, "Ah do mah best ta make Granny Smith proud ever' time ah go out thar."

Rarity frowned. "And now you won't be able to compete," she said, "and it's my fault."

"Hay now," the earth pony said with a matching frown. "Ah know better'n ta let mahself get all distracterated when Ah'm a-buckin'."

"Oh, now you're doing it on purpose," Rarity said. "'Distracterated'? Really?"

Applejack laughed. "All right, all right, that 'un wuz on purpose, ah admit. Jes' wanted ta see if'n Ah could make ya twitch a bit. Anyhoo, Ah'll be fine. Ah was tryin' ta figure out how Ah could manage the Sweet Apple Acres stall an' compete at th' same time. No conflict now, Ah reckon." She grinned. "Heck, y'all dared me not ta compete in th' next rodeo what comes t' town, anyway," she said.

Rarity laughed. "That I did," she said. "And, as I recall..." Her eyes widened, her grin brightened, and her mane even seemed to take on some of her excitement. "IDEA!" she caroled with glee. "I shall compete on Sweet Apple Acres' behalf! That way, you can mind the stand, and your farm won't be unrepresented at the competition!"

Applejack frowned. "Ah dunno, Rarity. Ah mean, sure, yer heart's in the right place, an' two sizes too large as always, but are ya sure ya won't be all fussed about it? Rodeo folk git dusty," she said, narrowing her eyes at the unicorn. "Dirty, like."

Rarity smiled nervously. "Oh, I'm sure there's something I can compete in where I won't completely shame you, Applejack," she said. "And as for the dust... well, if I do compete, and that is the case, well, it will only serve to demonstrate to you practical farm types that my designs are durable as well as elegant."

"Ah dunno," Applejack said again, but Rarity cut her off.

"Well I do," the unicorn said. "I am dressage trained, so even if I lose, I shall do so with grace and poise."

She did not let her friend know what she was really thinking, which was, What have I just gotten myself into?!