• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 4,392 Views, 30 Comments

A Happy Mother's Daze - Wasabi-beans



Spike wants to confess to Twilight about how he feels about her on Mother's Day.

  • ...
7
 30
 4,392

Part 1

Twilight, with Spike on her back, emerged from the Ponyville Post Office with a slightly beaten up package, and they breathed in the beautiful weather.

"Ah, Spike, I love the smell of fresh air in the morning!" proclaimed Twilight, and excitably pointed at the small package, "Not to mention the smell of studying that awaits us in this box!"

And she turned to Ponyville's famous cross-eyed, mailmare, who stood outside the Post Office, "Thanks for sending us Princess Celestia's valuable artifact, Derpy!"

Derpy saluted at a job well done. Spike felt around the box, which had a few dents around it, "Eh, could be worse,"

And Twilight happily trotted back to her treehouse. She saw Rainbow Dash in the sky.

"Hey there, Rainbow!" yelled Twilight, "Look what we got from the-"

"Can'ttalknowmustmakereservationmymomiscomingtotown!" verbally blazed Rainbow Dash in a frenzy, and flew off.

"Usually you can understand what she's saying when she's in a hurry," commented Spike.

"I wonder what's gotten her so frazzled up?" said Twilight.

And before she could take two steps, a huge brown and pink mass ran right onto them, causing the screaming two to land onto the brown mass.

Turns out the brown mass was a wagon filled with flour and the rider was their baker friend.

"GAH! PINKIE!!" yelled Twilight, "Why are you in such a rush!?"

Pinkie creepily turned her head at a one-eighty-degree angle and yelled back, "Can't talk! Must send bags of flour! Big day coming up! Must look straight on so to avoid unnecessary collision!"

Which she did, and then with amazing strength, tipped her body to the right, which tipped the wagon just enough for Twilight and Spike to slide off and land on the ground safe and sound, if not more confused then ever.

"What the hay is going on!?" exclaimed Twilight, then she felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Oh, hello there Derpy!" said Twilight, "What's this? A telegram?"

And Spike helped to pluck the letter out of Derpy's smiling mouth and opened it.

"Heh! Maybe it's our answer to all the rushing!" Twilight said sarcastically.

Spike quickly scanned the letter, and his eyes widened, "It... it is,"


Dear Twilight,

I hope this letter gets to you on time, as I am going to pay a visit to Ponyville to see how you and Spike are doing.

Hope to see you soon on Mother's Day. Please give my warm regards to that little baby dragon.

With much love from your Mother,
Twilight Velvet


"Spike?"

"Yeah, Twilight?"

"Mother's Day is in two days, right?"

"Yep,"

"Feel like screaming at the skies?"

"Yep,"

And so they did.

"AAAAARGHHHH!!"


Rarity was busy decorating her store with an assortment of Mother's Day-related decorations: photographs of her, Sweetie Belle and her mom, matching mother-daughter dresses, etc.

She heard her bell at the entrance and she instinctively answered, "Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where for this week everything is motherly and unique! Oh! Hello my little Spikey-Wikey!"

"Hey Rarity," he said, his mind clearly somewhere else, "Umm, what did I come here for again? Oh yeah, Twilight would like a roll of purple ribbons,"

"Oh but of course!" And she took a roll and gave it to him, but noticed he wasn't looking too happy, "What's the matter, Spikey-Wikey? You seem awfully glum,"

"I am? Oh, err, nah!" he said in defense, "It's just that I've been running ragged from Twilight sending me off on errands! We've been so busy in our research that we completely forgot about Mother's Day!"

"What, the two of you forgot about Mother's Day??" Rarity exclaimed in shock, then laughed, "Oh course it would be the two of you! What with Twilight's nose stuck in her books all the time, and you not having a mo... mother... OH MY GOSH!!"

"Here we go again," Spike muttered to himself.

Rarity scooped him up and hugged him tight, "Oh Spikey-Wikey, I'm so sorry! All this buzz on Mother's Day must be so confusing on your cute widdle head!"

"No it's not!" he said, annoyed, and pushed off, "It's just, everyone's been bugging me about it every-time I go out on an errand the entire day! Pinkie Pie, the Quills and Sofas guy, everypony! I'm fine okay, I'M FINE!!"

He crossed his hands and sulked, and slumped on the ground, "In Canterlot, no one would bug me about it, but here..."

"But... do you have a...."

"I don't think so," said Spike, "You guys already know I was hatched by Twilight, and then she, Princess Celestia, and the Castle staff were the ones that raised me,"

Rarity pulled him in close for a hug, Spike would've pushed away again in frustration, but simply laid his head on her neck.

"But not having a mother, I hope it's not bothering you?" she asked,

"It's not! Well, I don't know!" he exclaimed in frustration, "Everyone else has one, and I don't..."

He sighed, "Now I remember why I don't like to think about it,"

Rarity hated to see her favorite dragon look so down, "Spike, you should talk to Twilight about it,"

"Twilight? Why Twilight?"

"Well isn't it obvious? You said yourself you were raised by her, and though she calls you her assistant all the time, it is perfectly obvious that the bond you have with her is something very special,"

"Oh yeah, I guess you're right," he said, cheering up a bit, "Hmm, and with that logic, Twilight is my-"

Sweetie Belle entered the store with a light-bulb on her horn, "Rarity! Spike! Look what I can do!"

Spike looked up and a light-bulb lit up above his head.

"Sweetie Belle! Don't stick appliances in your horn! It's dangerous!" Rarity said in disapproval.

"Yeah... she is! SHE IS!!" said Spike in increasing excitement, "Aww, I gotta' tell Twilight! Thanks for the ribbon, Rarity! High hoof, Sweetie Belle!"

And she gave him a high hoof, "Yay! Bye Spike! Wait, why'd he high hoof me?"


Spike jogged back happily, "Oh, how could I not have seen it before! Of course Twilight would be my mom, it makes perfect sense! And that would make me her son!"

And his internal cogs were moving, "Hmm, Mother's day is tomorrow, so I'll have to make a present for her pronto and tell her there and then! Tomorrow is gonna' be the best day ever! Nothing could ruin it!"


"Well, almost nothing could ruin it," muttered Spike when he got back in the library.

Twilight was in her frantic multitasking zone again.

"Decorations! Gifts! Wishing Bone! Decorations! Gifts! Wishing Bone! DECORATIONS! GIFTS! WISH-"

"TWILIGHT!" yelled Spike, which stopped her tracks.

"Spike! Great! You got the ribbon!" she said still frantically, and magically snatched it from his claw, which she used to tie up two identical boxes with.

"There! My gifts for Princess Celestia and Mom are finally done!" she squeaked proudly, "Wait, which one is for who again?? AARGH!!"

Whilst she unwrapped the boxes to check, Spike asked, "Why'd you have a gift for the Princess?"

"Because, Spike," started Twilight, "Princess Celestia is the one that practically nurtured me in all things magic! She's like my second mother!"

This brought a smile to Spike's face, "Really! That's cool! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a few things I need to do myself!"

"Spike, there's still so many things to do!" exclaimed Twilight, "We still need to make a reservation, I haven't planned a schedule for tomorrow, this gift needs to be mailed, and worst of all, I haven't sealed in the Wishing Bone's magic yet!"

She pointed to the silver-colored wish bone. "Can't that wait?" asked Spike.

"Spike, the Princess has sent us a magical item far more powerful than I thought. If I don't lock its powers in, anypony, even those with little or no magic, can just touch it, say their deepest, darkest wish, and it will come true!!"

"Wow," said Spike,clearly impressed, "Well! My suggestion is that you just store it away safely for now and get on with the other stuff!"

"That's a great idea, Spike!" complimented Twilight, giving him a quick hug, which made Spike smile again, "Now, I'll just tie these bows in a different way..."

"Yeah, you do that, while I-"

"-while you deliver this box to the Post Office! Extra Express!"

"Aww, Twilight! I've got things to do!"

"And did you tell me what these things were before we got started preparing for Mother's Day?"

"Well, no..."

"Then priorities first, Spike! I taught you better than that! Oh, and then you can make a reservation in that swanky cafe, purchase more flowers, clean up the library..."

And Spike said under his breath, "Lemme' rephrase. Twilight Sparkle could ruin it,"


It was nighttime and Twilight was sleeping soundly, left hoof wiggling.

And Spike was at the reading room, making his gift over candlelight.

"Ah, finished!" he exclaimed triumphantly, but quietly, showing it to an observant Owlowiscious. It was a beautifully painted picture of Spike joyfully hugging a quietly happy Twilight. At its corner written with elegant cursive, said, 'Happy Mother's Day, Love, Spike,'

"Hoo," said Owlowiscious.

Spike looked at it, and his smile turned to a frown, "Yeah, it's dumb,"

He tossed it aside, and sighed, "What am I gonna' do? Tomorrow's the perfect day to tell her, but she's got so much planned out with Miss Velvet already! Oh, anything could happen if I tell her I'm her son!

"Would she overreact? Would Miss Velvet freak out? Would it make things between me and Twilight awkward forever and ever!? Would Twilight send me away and to never come back!??"

"Hoo," said Owlowiscious, which snapped Spike out of it.

"Oh, thanks Owlowiscious," he said and scratched his chin in thought, "I need to reduce as many variables as possible to get the best results, so what can I do?"

And a devious thought came, and a devious smile followed.

He tiptoed quietly all the way to the bookshelf under the letter 'E', and pulled out an unassuming flat parcel. He opened it to reveal the Wishing Bone.

Owlowiscious flew to him and hooted.

"I know this is a little extreme!" whispered Spike defensively, "But desperate times call for desperate measures! And it's not as if I'm wishing for anything bad, or anything that will point the evidence at me. I'm just gonna' wish for Twilight to understand what it's like for me to be a dragon in a pony world, that way, she'll accept me as her son for sure!"

He twiddled his fingers, and picked it up. Immediately, the Bone began to glow a ghostly silver.

"Okay, here goes," said Spike, "I wish that Twilight would understand what it's like for me to be a dragon in a pony world-"

"Spike, you down there?" asked Twilight groggily from a distance.

"AARGH!!" screamed Spike in a fright. He placed the box back in its slot and hid the Wishing Bone behind his back just in time before Twilight came out.

"Oh, sorry Spike," apologized Twilight, "But what are you doing down there? It's way past a baby dragon's bedtime,"

"Umm, err, I couldn't sleep!" lied Spike, "I am just so excited for tomorrow!"

Twilight chuckled, "I can understand that. There's plenty for us to do with Mom tomorrow. But get to bed, Spike, or you'll be worn out,"

And with a yawn, she headed back to bed.

Once she was at a distance, Spike breathed a sigh of relief, and let his hands down. Then his eyes widened. Then he raised his paws up. And there were two separate pieces of the Wishing Bone in his claws.

"Uh oh," he squeaked.

He rushed to the table, picked up a stick of glue and very carefully glued the two pieces back together.

"Stupid-stupid!" Spike hissed, "Must've broke it when I hid it behind me!"

And he raised it, and it looked almost as good as new, and placed it back in the box and hid it. He was still hyperventilating.

"Alright keep calm, Spike! It's fixed, you already made the wish before you broke it, that means it should already be made without consequences right?" And he began to slowly calm down, "Yeah, and my wish wasn't a big cosmic one, it should be alright!"

And he headed back to his basket, still a little jittery.

And in the box, where the Wishing Bone was cracked, a silver energy surged.


Spike muttered in his sleep, mumbling in fear.

"No... no Twilight... I don't... forgive... mean..."

"Spike! Spiiiike!" yelled Twilight from downstairs.

"WAAARGHH!" screamed Spike in a jolt.

"Spike?"

And he ran down as quick as he could to meet Twilight.

"I'm-here-morning-ready-to-assist-nothing-wrong-is-there??" he rushed, with a salute to boot.

Twilight chuckled at his silliness, "No silly! Nothing's wrong! It's just that you slept in a little!"

"Oh no! I did!? I'm so sorry Twilight-"

"There's nothing to be sorry about! I just wanted to wake you up! It's early in the morning, so I'd thought I'd go to the edge of the Everfree Forest to pick some exotic flowers, which I'm sure she'll love!"

"Oh, umm, okay?"

"We should be expecting her pretty soon, so I'll see you later!" said Twilight as she exited the library.

And when the door closed, that's when Spike finally breathed a sigh of relief.


Twilight happily trotted at the edge of the Everfree Forest as she picked the flowers, which were near Fluttershy's, while she drank through a straw from her bottled soda.

She took a big sip, and let out a satisfactory, "Aaahhh...!"

But she noticed her straw, "Huh, I don't remember biting onto it..."

She used to her tongue to check her teeth, and she yelped in pain.

"Yow! What in the...!"

She ran to a small puddle and opened her jaw. She was shocked to find that her blunt teeth were now razor sharp.

"What!? How did this happen?" she exclaimed before she realized her right hoof felt funny. And that was when she knew something was horribly wrong.

Her right hoof was now a clawed hand. She looked to her left hoof, and it was clawed as well.

And she felt her tummy rumbling something fierce.


Spike was dancing like a goof in his pink apron, dusting everything clean in preparation for Miss Velvet.

He was on one tiptoed foot, cleaning the edge of the shelf when he heard a very familiar, and very enormous roar.

"ROAAAAAARRRRR!!"

His pupils shrank. He took off the apron, and ran out as fast as he could to the source of the roar.

A dragon's roar.