• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 11,075 Views, 971 Comments

My Little Civil Activist: Equality is Magic - GrouchoMarxDisciple



Never did Twilight imagine the inequality that grips Ponyville (pre-season 3)

  • ...
65
 971
 11,075

The Athlete

"According to this survey, when compared to this census, the main voting population is divided by race, Pegasus, Unicorn, and Earth Pony. Earth Ponies represent the largest subgroup, while Pegusi are the smallest. This is largely due to the fact that the inhabitants of Cloudsdale do not vote directly, as they do not actually own land, but as a result Cloudsdale is allowed to take care of their own affairs with "city commissions."" Twilight's head was stuck in a book read on Ponyville Politics, written by Doctor Whooves back before he was politically active. "These commissions carry the same weight as law in Cloudsdale jurisdiction, unless they are repealed by either The Mayor or the Ponyville City Council, though in practice this is a rare sight. In fact, many times Ponyville will accept into its own books the laws for which Cloudsdale Commissions are a prototype."

"The members of the Cloudsdale Council are as follows, each having the ability to present and vote on commissions, Magistrate (appointed by the Mayor), two Cloudsdale Representatives (Elected), the Chair of Academics (Appointed by the Magistrate), the Captain of the Weather Patrol (Appointed by the Magistrate), and the CEO of the Weather Factory (Privately chosen by shareholders)."

That means... Rainbow Dash is on the council! She could propose a commission...

"Furthermore, it is the custom of Cloudsdale to officially 'endorse' one candidate for Mayor. Though this technically has no weight, in practice whoever Cloudsdale endorses has won the Ponyville Pegasus vote."

Hmm... I wonder when the Cloudsdale council's next meeting is. If I can get Rainbow to fight for the Stallion's Rights movement there, we are in a good spot to start.

---

Rainbow Dash was sleeping. She wasn't napping or dozing, she was sleeping. As in, she was exhausted.

It had been a really long day, with the majority of the Stallion's on strike, and most of the Pegasus mares not strong enough to do the heavy lifting, the majority of the grunt work had fallen to the weather team's Captain. It was not an easy day, and thank Celestia for the fact that there were no major storms.

It was late in the afternoon when Twilight found Dash, in a tree. It took several attempts to rouse her from her slumber, as Dash stubbornly held on to her time in Luna Land. It was only when she magically shook the impromptu bed that Dash was so fond of that she got any sort of intelligent response.

"Uh, wha- I'm up!" Dash said, still somewhat half asleep. "Wait... it's still the middle of the afternoon! Why the hay would anypony wake me up? Whoever you are, when I get a hold of you..."

"Rainbow Dash!" Twilight called. "I need to talk with you."

Rainbow, looking down, smiled at her friend. "Oh, hay Twilight. Say, did you see someone shake this tree just now? I swear on Celestia's mane, when I find them..."

"That's not important right now, I need to talk to you." A hint of gravity infused her voice. "It's important."

"Uhh, no can do, Twi. I'm still" *yawn* "Recovering from the last few days. Maybe tomorrow." And she turned back over, trying to sleep once again.

"I'm sorry, but this can't wait. You know that the Cloudsdale council meeting is tomorrow, at sunrise, right?" Twilight approached the tree, so her friend could not try to ignore her.

"Duh! Why do you thing I am trying to catch some shut-eye! If I don't sleep now, I'll sleep through the meeting!" She said, and then jokingly added, "Though I probably will anyway. It is usually a snooze-fest. I'd rather listen to you talk about egghead stuff than sit through another one of those things."

"Rainbow Dash, are you familiar with the laws that govern Cloudsdale? You are one of the most powerful mares there. You also have a bit of a cult of personality around Ponyville, especially among the Pegusi."

"If what you just said means that ponies think I'm awesome, I agree." She smiled.

"So have you ever considered putting that 'awesome' to good use?" Twilight cut to the chase. "Like helping the stallions gain the right to vote?"

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. This is about Carmel and his guys?" At this point Rainbow Dash flew down from the tree and looked Twilight square in the eyes. "That's like, not cool. Those guys are crazy!"

Twilight was taken aback. "Rainbow, you work with stallions all the time! Why would you be against them being treated just like us?"

"Well... I dunno! I just am!" And with that, Rainbow turned away. "Besides, if I got behind something that negative, ponies might think I am... less cool." she said with a shudder. "Believe me, Twilight. When you want to become a Wonderbolt, popularity means a lot. If no one likes you at home, how can they expect people to like you on the road?"

And so the truth comes out. Twilight thought for a moment. So, how do I approach this? It looks like if I can convince her that she won't be losing her shot at fame, or the bit of it she has here, she might be willing to listen. So how do I do that?

At this moment it was as if a light bulb went off in her head. I don't need to! There are things more important to Dash than popularity, like...

"Rainbow Dash, I have a question for you. Who is the hardest working member of the Weather Patrol?" Twilight said, abruptly.

"Uhh... I dunno. Roid Rage has been doing more than his share recently." But then she flared her nostrils. "That is, until he up and ditched me! What the hay is wrong with him?"

Uh-oh. "But think of the other times. Would you say he was always behind you? Would you say he was your wingpony?"

"I guess." Rainbow said with a waiver in he voice. "What are you trying to say, Twilight?"

"Would you say he's been... loyal?" Twilight played her trump card.

"Of course! He was next to me when I needed him the most, like that tornado last week when everypony else ran away! Before this whole mess happened, he was the most trustworthy guy on the team!"

"Then, why do you fight to keep him, and others like him, from chasing their dreams? How many stallions do you think have aspirations outside of Ponyville? You wouldn't want to stay here forever, so why would he?" Clincher.

It was Rainbow's turn to pause. ..."He did tell me that one time he wanted to fight in the Equestrian Wrestling Federation..."

"But he can't. He can't leave here. Now, tell me this, Rainbow Dash, how have you repaid him for his loyalty?"

There was certainly a waver in her voice now. "B-b-but I... I mean... You can't just..."

"Who do you think the Wonderbolts want, somepony who betrays their wingpony for popularity, or somepony who stands up for them no matter what the cost?"

"..."

"Do you see what I mean, Rain-"

SWOOSH! And she was gone. Rainbow Dash had flown off at top speed, just like that. Twilight Sparkle paused, looking at the sky. "Hopefully I got through to her."

---

Carmel sat in his cell, throwing his favorite ball across the wall, and catching it as it came back. There wasn't much else to do, at the time. That is, until the guard walked in.

"You have a visitor." He said gruffly, and unlatched the door. It was at this point Carmel smiled.

"Carrot Top! Doc! Good to see both of you." Carmel stood up. "How has it all been going?"

Golden Harvest laughed. "Better than last time, I assure you."

The Doctor spoke up. "How are they treating you?"

"Eh, same old, same old. The food is still terrible. Alright, down to business. What have you two been up to on the outside?"

"I have a fascinating development..." The doctor started, only to be cut off by the mayoral candidate.

"Things are going great! I'm ahead in the Unicorn polls, but it looks like Cloudsdale is going to endorse the Mayor. My first debate is tomorrow night, but of course you'll be unable to attend, but I trust you and your group will be there for moral support afterwords!" Carrot Top smiled. "With your help, I can win this."

"Thank you. Now, Doctor, about your development..."

---

Knock knock

...

POUND POUND

shuffle shuffle

Creeeeeak

"YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES?" Roid Rage opened the door, and was surprised to see his boss standing there. She looked at him for a second, her eyes a bit teary.

"I'm sorry. I won't betray you again. I promise." She said, and flew off.

---

Excerpted from the Foal Free Press

Cloudsdale Council endorses Golden Harvest!

In what is considered a major victory for the Stallion's rights movement, Cloudsdale has endorsed Moon Party candidate Golden Harvest for mayor.

This is largely due to the campaigning of the Weather Team's captain, Rainbow Dash. When asked why she suddenly changed her mind, she said simply,

"I just thought about what was the most important to me. And I realized my friends, both Stallion and Mare, mean so much to me that I had to do something like this.

The Cloudsdale council has also announced plans to draft a bill to allow Pegasus Stallions the right to own clouds.

Author's Note:

Hey, something actually happened!

Thanks to Exilio for volunteering to check it, but I got a friend to do it for me. :twilightsheepish: