• Published 29th Nov 2012
  • 7,350 Views, 500 Comments

Geoverse Part Six: A Season Of Adventure - GeodesicDragon



Geo and Twilight deal with more stuff in Equestria — all of it leading to a big surprise for both of them...

  • ...
33
 500
 7,350

B1. Spike At Your Service (1st Draft)

"Twelve?"

"That's what I said."

"Come on Twilight, even you can't read that many books in such a small amount of time."

"Watch me Spike."

Twilight sat down at her desk and opened the book in front of her. Almost immediately she was lost in a trance, her pupils dancing over the pages while the rest of her body remained still. Spike rolled his eyes and looked over to where Geo sat on the bed. The human simply shrugged and smiled sheepishly.

"Oh I almost forgot," Twilight said as she suddenly snapped back to reality, "you can have the day off Spike. These books are going to keep me very busy, so it wouldn't be fair on you sitting around the library doing nothing. Have fun!"

With those words she retreated into her own little world. Spike let out a small cheer and pumped his fist. He jumped up next to Geo and the two of them looked at where Twilight sat, unmoving, with her back to them.

"She looks weird when she's like that," Spike whispered, "it just looks so... unnatural for anypony to not move. She's like a statue."

"I've seen weirder." Geo replied. "In fact, just the other day I saw Rainbow Dash sprawled out on the ground in front of the library. I ran out to see if she was okay when I heard a gasp from the branches. I looked up — and I swear I saw Twilight and Rarity looking back down at me! I asked them what they were doing up there and Twilight screamed 'Oh my God, I sent us to another dimension!'. Then she grabbed Rarity and Dash and vanished. Suddenly the door opened, and there she is!"

"Then what happened?" Spike asked.

"I'm not sure," Geo said hesitantly, "because I kinda passed out."

Spike laughed uproariously and fell off the bed clutching his sides as a soft knock resonated throughout the library. Leaving the dragon to his devices, Geo got off the bed and walked downstairs to answer the door. Spike quickly recovered from his fit of the giggles and followed, if only to listen in on the conversation he could hear.

"So yeah," a voice said, "that's the story. Snowflake has the feather flu, and I need somepony to cover his afternoon shift. You game?"

"I could kiss you Vinyl," Geo said eagerly, "if I wasn't already married that is. Twilight is studying and as a result I was bored stiff. So for offering me a way out of that, of course I'll help you!"

Vinyl squeed in delight.

"Great!" she said, "Now grab your gear and get your flank over there before the afternoon rush starts!"

"Got it!" Geo said with a mock salute, "Hey Spike, will you be okay on your own?"

Spike snorted dismissively and waved a hand.

"Uh yeah!" he said, "I've got the day off, so it will be my chance to do the things I've always wanted to do! You go to work... ya mug."

Geo chuckled as he went over to a cabinet and pressed some buttons on a keypad. The cabinet opened to reveal a solid metal baton and a vest. Geo took both, placing the vest over his t-shirt and the baton in his belt.

"Right," he said as he made for the door, "I'm off. Have fun!"

"I will!" Spike called out, "Because I've got a list of fun things that I plan to start right now!"

He produced a roll of parchment and looked at it, furrowing his brow in thought. After a moment, he jabbed a finger into the page.

"Might as well start from the top." he muttered, "Okay, so the first thing on the list is... lick my nose!"

With no effort, Spike's long tongue left his mouth and curled up to his nose. Bringing it back, Spike grinned.

"Just as well Rarity didn't see that," he said, "otherwise she would have made me li— oh sweet Celestia, I'm turning into John!"

He quickly shook his head to clear his mind and moved onto the next item on his list.

"Right, number two on the list is... play my belly like a set of bongos? Pfft, that's easy!"

Lying on his back, Spike proceeded to slap his stomach. Within a few seconds he had a melody going and a large smile on his face.

"That's enough of that." he said as he got up, "What's next?... Smell my feet! Oh yeah, I'm gonna enjoy this!"

After looking around to make sure that nobody was watching him, Spike lifted one of his feet towards his nose and took a deep breath. He sighed contentedly and smiled.

"Oh man," he said, "that was great. I never realised my feet were capable of producing such a heavenly sent of cheese. But as much as I would love to do this all day, I've got other things to accomplish on my list."

As he looked at the parchment he held his face fell.

"… a list which only had three things on it, which I've done. Either I thought that was going to take longer than I thought, or I'm just not as good as Twilight when it comes to making lists."

"You're not!" Twilight's voice chimed from upstairs, "Everypony knows that I am the undisputed list master of Ponyville!"

Spike rolled his eyes and tossed the parchment into the trash before heading out of the library and into town.

***

As he trudged aimlessly along Ponyville's main road, Spike wished he had pockets to stick his hands in. The boredom was getting to the young dragon, and he was getting desperate for something to keep him occupied for the rest of the day. His attention was soon caught by a hot-air balloon in the distance. A small smile came to his face and he ran over.

"I've always wanted to go on a hot-air balloon ride by myself!" he said eagerly, "At least I won't have Twilight lecturing me on the different kinds of clouds, how the balloon works, the history of ballooning and various other boring things."

As he approached the balloon he watched in dismay as the pilot tethered it down and trotted away towards a diner.

"What?" Spike groaned, "Oh come on! Just a few minutes!"

His pleas fell on deaf ears as the pilot entered the diner. Spike stood next to the balloon and let out a huff.

"Oh well," he said as he leaned against the basket, "I might as well wait for the pilot to get ba— whoa!"

Losing his footing, Spike fell on the ground with a soft thud. The momentum from his fall transferred to the balloon, and soon it had become separated from its tether. Spike watched in horror as the object began to float away.

"Oh no. No, no, no! Wait, come back!" he yelled as he took off after the renegade balloon, "Oh well, at least I can't say I didn't do anything fun today..."

Spike ran through Ponyville with his eyes firmly fixed on the balloon above him, ignoring some of the shocked gasps and angry shouting from the various townsponies.

"Watch where yer going, ya little varmint!"

"Sorry Granny Smith, but I gotta catch that balloon!"

"Hey, I just buffed that dent outta there!"

"Sorry Ace, but I gotta catch that balloon!"

Spike followed the balloon as it drifted over the Everfree Forest. It finally slowed down enough for him to jump up and grab the rope, tethering the balloon to a nearby tree. Panting heavily, Spike smiled at a job well done.

"Phew," he muttered, "I thought I was going to chase this thing all the way into the... Everfree... Forest... oh, no."

Realisation hit him hard as Spike finally got his bearings. He looked around frantically as he searched for a way out. His search soon became more desperate as the sound of guttural growling filled the air, followed by the sight of a pack of Timberwolves.

Spike gulped as the creatures advanced on him, licking their lips and narrowing their eyes at their prey.

Author's Note:

This was my original first draft of Chapter Ten. As you can see, this is as far as I got before I decided that I hated what I had written, and promptly abandoned it in favour of the chapter you read earlier. I think I made the right choice.

Right, now that you've finished reading this, why don't you have a look at this little one-shot I wrote, which is based on something this guy said? It's Geoverse related, so you might like it, if you enjoy random stories which don't make any sense. Be sure to read the rest of the collection as well!