• Published 29th Nov 2012
  • 7,358 Views, 500 Comments

Geoverse Part Six: A Season Of Adventure - GeodesicDragon



Geo and Twilight deal with more stuff in Equestria — all of it leading to a big surprise for both of them...

  • ...
33
 500
 7,358

A Lesson In Responsibility

CHAPTER TWELVE

A Lesson In Responsibility

The train pulled into the station, announcing itself with a piercing whistle which cut through the silence and jarred us from our slumber. We looked blearily through the windows and saw that we were in Ponyville.

"It was good of them to give us a wake up call." I muttered as I got out of the bunk, "We would have missed our stop otherwise."

Twilight climbed off the bunk as well and stretched her legs while the rest of our friends groaned and yawned, John doing his best impersonation of a hippopotamus in labour.

"Come on everypony," I said as we all stepped off the train and into the cool morning air, "I don't know about you but after all that happened in the Empire I could use a drink."

Twilight jabbed me in the side.

"We can do that at home," she replied, "which is where Spike is, along with everypony's pets. I want to make sure that the library is still standing."

"Twilight," a voice groaned, "I thought you had faith in me?"

We looked around to saw Spike standing on the platform. Standing with him were all the pets as well as Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. The three fillies had an innocent air around them — which made me wonder what they'd done.

"Hey everypony!" Apple Bloom said cheerfully, "We saw tha train comin' and decided ta come and meet y'all here, so we could... er... give ya a proper welcomin'!"

As if on cue, she and her fellow Crusaders shouted.

"WELCOME HOME!"

"Thanks girls," John said as he stuck a finger in his ear to clear the ringing, "it's good to be home at last."

"Oh my darling Spikey-Wikey!" Rarity squealed as she grabbed him in a crushing hug, "It's wonderful to see you again."

"Jeez Rarity," Spike gasped out, "it's not even been a day."

Rarity's eyes widened and she relinquished her hold, blushing sheepishly as she tossed her mane aside with a forehoof.

"Er, yes..." she mumbled, "... well at least you have done a good job in taking care of the pets. Hello Opal, did you miss me?"

Opal responded to the question by turning her nose up and licking a paw indignantly. Rarity smiled and patted the cat on the head.

"I'll take that as a yes." she cooed.

Fluttershy walked over to Angel, who turned around and waggled his tail in her face. At least, I hope he was showing her his tail.

"Oh my Angel," Fluttershy gasped, "your tail looks amazing! Spike, you did an amazing job!"

"Ahh, it was nothing really." Spike said, "I'm just happy to help. Although I will say that it was a lot of hard work. I learned that when you take on a lot of responsibility, you need to make sure you're ready to handle it."

Twilight beamed from ear to ear.

"That's a good lesson Spike," she said, "and hopefully you'll be writing to the Princess about it?"

Spike groaned.

"Do I have to?" he muttered.

Twilight raised her eyebrow at him, as if to say 'did you seriously just ask me that question?'.

"All right," Spike sighed, "I'll write a letter when we get back."

Twilight grinned and nuzzled him affectionately.

"Glad to hear it Spike." she said, "And I'm proud of the way you've handled things while we've been gone. Now let's go home."

Everyone started walking while Dash went over to Tank. The tortoise looked up at her expectantly. Dash sighed and flicked her head around. She then leaned in and nuzzled him with a large grin on her face. Looking up, she saw me watching her and blushed.

Knowing how she is about this sort of thing, I mouthed a silent 'I won't tell a soul' to her. She visibly relaxed and went off to join the others. I followed close behind and Tank soon bumped into the back of my head, shearing a few hairs off in the process.

"Seriously pal," I said to the hapless tortoise, "you need to watch where you're going."

Tank responded by flying into my face. I groaned and took a hold of him, putting him onto the proper flight path.

"All these things hitting me..." I muttered, "it makes me feel like some kind of comic relief in a bad story."

I began walking and soon I had caught up with the others.

***

Back at the library, all was quiet. Everypony had gone home, leaving just Twilight and I with Spike, Owlowiscious and the twins, who had been dropped off by their grandparents. The two foals lay sound asleep in their cot. The temptation to wake them up and play with them was overwhelming, but I resisted.

Spike entered the room with Twilight, the former carrying a tray of drinks and assorted snacks. My stomach rumbled in anticipation.

"Here we are," Twilight said as Spike set the tray down, "freshly made by my number one assistant. We've got fake ham sandwiches and chocolate chip cookies. The perfect end to a perfect day."

"And a gemstone salad for me!" Spike said with a lick of his lips, "So, how did it go for you guys today?"

I took a sandwich and bit into it, savouring the taste. I began to wonder if the ham I was eating was in fact real, but my tastebuds couldn't tell the difference.

"Today went rather well," I said after swallowing, "all things considered. It started off good, got worse, and then got good again. It's just been hectic."

"Tell me about it." Spike muttered.

"Okay," I replied, "I'll tell you. But first of all I have something I've been wanting to say to you, Spike."

He looked at me blankly. I leaned in closer to him and grinned.

"Do you honestly think," I said quietly, "that Twilight and I don't know what your rumbling stomach sounds like?"

He looked between the two of us. Twilight was munching on a daisy sandwich, but the grin on her face was blatantly obvious.

"Don't worry Spike," I said as Twilight giggled, "we won't tell anypony that you and the pets were on the train."

He sighed in relief.

"But in the meantime," I continued, "I believe there is the small matter of telling you about our day..."

Author's Note:

I know I said I wasn't going to cover this episode, but I felt I should write something. Even if it is really short. A lot of people I know complained about the fact Spike didn't seem to learn a lesson in this episode. Hopefully I have addressed this issue.