• Published 24th Nov 2012
  • 2,040 Views, 18 Comments

Eternal Sunshine of the Spikeless Mind - UtterlyLudicrous



It's easy enough to erase somepony from your mind. Getting them out of your heart is another story.

  • ...
10
 18
 2,040

Chapter 4

Creeeeak.

Damn that squeaky door. I should've fixed that weeks ago, Spike said to himself.


Spike gently closed the door behind him so as not to wake up Twilight. He sat down on the couch with far too much on his mind. The events of this Hearts and Hooves Day had really overwhelmed him, and the only things he noticed more than his unexpected ecstasy were the unanswered questions that refused to leave his mind: when would he see Rainbow Dash again? What would happen between the two of them? What would happen between he and Rarity? And for Celestia's sake, how did his Hearts and Hooves Day turn out like this??

With the questions still on his mind, Spike picked up his phone and looked at the scribble Rainbow Dash had written on his scale. As the ringer buzzed, a flood of doubts washed over Spike. What if it's too late? What if she was just pranking me? What if... The ringing stopped. Spike stood stock-still in the darkness of the library, waiting for Dash's voice. It cut through the silence and the darkness like a ray of light.

"What took you so long?"
"I just walked in."
"Mm-hmm. You miss me already?"
"Hm.. Yeah.. Oddly enough I do."
"Ha! You said I do! I guess that means we're married!"

Spike smiled in spite of himself. "Yeah, I guess so," he said through his grin.

"Tomorrow night? What do you say we have our honeymoon on ice?"
"Sounds..."
"..nice."

The receiver slammed down with a clang.


"The ice is really tough this time of year. I should know, I helped freeze it."
"Whoa.. I don't know..."

Spike crept nervously across the Ponyville River, completely frozen over. He looked around. Through his nerves, he could really admire the beauty of Ponyville at night. It wasn't a big city, like Las Pegasus, but it wasn't a little town, either. Just the right size. And boy, when Luna's moonlight shone down on that ice, it created a sight like nothing Spike had ever seen. A fresh snow had taken hold of Ponyville that day, and it coated everything in soft white. Everything except the river. The snow reflected off the moonlight and lit the night in an eerie blue light. He looked over at the cyan-colored rainbow pegasus, knee-deep in the spirit of adventure. This mare was special. There was no doubt in his mind. She was different. She was adventurous. She was tough. And boy, was she beautiful in the moonlight.

"Come on, Spike!" The purple and green dragon, in his coat and beanie, walked unsteadily onto the deep ice. "It's so beautiful," he exclaimed quietly. "Isn't it?"

Rainbow Dash looked over at him and giggled. She let go of his hand and began to trot towards the center of the river. "Uh.. Wait, don't go too far!"

"Whooo!" Rainbow Dash half-responded, and continued trotting across. Suddenly she slipped on a wet part of the ice and went tumbling down to the ground. Spike cringed at the sight of her rear connecting against the ice

"Are you okay??"
"Ouch.. Fuck it! Ohh, my ass!"
"I think I should go back.."
"What? No, no no no, come on! Come on!" Rainbow Dash interjected.

Spike couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Well, what if it breaks?"
"What if? Do you really care right now? This is an adventure, don't you like adventures?? Come on, this is fun!"
"Uh.. I don't know about this.."

"Come, here.. Please." Rainbow Dash reached her hoof out and walked closer to Spike. "Come on. Live a little. Have an adventure."

Spike paused for a minute. Was it worth the risk? It was time to decide.

He slowly took one claw out of his jacket pocket... And before he could decide what to do, Rainbow Dash decided for him; she grabbed his hand and the two began shuffling across the ice.

"Here, I wanna show you something." Rainbow Dash said. As they approached the center of the river, she let go of Spike's hand and lay down on her back on the ice and began to make a snow angel. After a few seconds, her hooves stopped moving and she beckoned Spike to come down, too. Warily, he crept down and lay down next to her. "Think I heard a crack," he said with concern.

Rainbow Dash let out a giggle. "It's not gonna crack," she said. "It's not gonna crack, or break, or anything. It's way too thick, I made sure."

The two lay silent for awhile, hoof in claw, next to the crack in the ice. Rainbow broke the silence. "What constellations do you know?"
"Oh.. Well, um... I don't.. Know any. My friend Twilight is the big astronomer."
"Oh, come on, you don't even know one constellation? Show me which ones you know."
"Okay, well, Twilight did tell me about one or two... Oh! There's Ponydius."
"Where?"
"Right there. See? Kind of like a.. Swoop and a cutie mark. Ponydius the Tolerant."

Rainbow Dash let out a laugh. "Pff.. You're full of shit, aren't you?"
"Nope. Ponydius is right there. Swoop and cutie mark. See?"
"Haa... Shut the front door!"

Spike looked over at Rainbow Dash, and the two met eyes. Hold yourself together, Spike, he thought. But his heart and his mind weren't agreeing, and his head began to lean closer to hers. Don't you do it. Don't you mess this up, Spike, his mind scolded. But his heart won. The pair locked lips, and the ice began to melt.


"Psst. Hey.. Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash.. Cock-a-doodle-doo."
"Mmm.. Wha.. What is it.."

As Spike pulled up to Rainbow's stop, he nudged her shoulder and pushed her hair out of her eyes. The morning sun glared in Rainbow's eyes, and she sleepily pulled a hoof in front of her face while the other held her blanket close.

"Rainbow... Rainbow Dash.."

Rainbow took the hoof in front of her face and grasped Spike's claw, slowly opening her eyes and smiling at him. "Hey," she said. "Hey. Sorry to wake you.. We're, uh.. We're here." Rainbow looked over towards her house, with her blanket still over her body. She stretched and looked back over at Spike. "Can I come over to your house? To sleep? I'm so tired..."

"Umm. Yeah, okay.. Sure."
"Let me go get my toothbrush."
"Yeah, no problem. I'll be here."

Rainbow shoved the blanket off her and walked towards her house and shut the door behind her.

Spike let out a deep exhale and rubbed his temples. What in Celestia's name did he do last night? And why did his head hurt so much? And why was he so tired? He decided to save those questions for later.. He let out another deep breath and leaned his head back against the seat, closing his eyes and getting some well-deserved rest.

Before he was able to catch more than a few seconds, a stranger knocked on the window. He jumped, and rolled it down. The unicorn was a bit of a pitiful sight. He was about Rainbow Dash's age, with a short mane and a small beard. At first sight, he looked like he might be more of a lost puppy dog than a unicorn. His eyes were sad, and he looked confused to see Spike there. Upon further inspection, he saw that his cutie mark was a picture of a brain. Whatever that means... Spike thought before greeting the strange unicorn.

"Yes?" Spike rolled down the window and asked.
"Can I help you?" the strange unicorn responded.
"What do you mean?"
"Can I help you with something?"

Spike paused for a minute. Can he.. What? What is this pony talking about?

"...No."
"What are you doing here?"
"I'm not really.. Sure what you're asking me."
"Oh..." The strange pony looked at the cart, a curious look on his face.
"Thanks," he said and walked away.

What a nut.. Spike thought and rolled up his window. Oh, well.. At least I'll never see him again...