• Published 24th Nov 2012
  • 3,952 Views, 265 Comments

Princess Luna and Luna's Lunatics - TheNocturnalLoner



Luna has returned and she needs to adjust to the times, and restore her former royal legacy. As well as the reputation of her once glorious Lunar Corps.

  • ...
19
 265
 3,952

Chapter 7: Disturbance

Weeks passed as the Lunar Corps, and the entire army was trained in the art of countering airborne opponents. Tensions with the griffons were no less strained, and the media was having a boom with it.

Stories of griffon dignitaries becoming incensed and demanding the crown to go to war were commonplace. All non-essential ponies from the Equestrian embassy were evacuated and an additional force of two platoons were added to embassy security. To top it all off, there were reports that like Equestria, the griffons were mobilizing and preparing their army for war.

The stage was set, and it seemed that the two powers would clash. Tensions were the highest they had been since the last pony-griffon war, which was about 500 years ago. The colossal powder keg was primed and ready, waiting for the match that would set it all off.

After some time of this high tension, the griffons stirred and did what was least expected. They backed down. The griffon crown ceded most of the territory it had illegally claimed over the past thousand years, and withdrew all military units from the formerly occupied territory.

The world was shocked, but not as much as the Princesses were. They were thrust even deeper into disbelief when the griffon king asked for nothing, save an assurance of peace. Happily accepting these circumstances, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, signed and ratified the agreement. Equestrian soldiers landed on the newly reacquired territories to establish order for the coming integration, much to the cheers of the thousands of pony residents.

Canterlot, and indeed all of Equestria, was ecstatic about the recent events that had occurred. The griffons gave back what they had taken, and peace between the two countries was solidified by a treaty. Celebrations lasted for days and carried on through the nights. For the first time in a very long time, ponies called upon the name of the Lunar Princess with reverence, for her work and actions. She even made a new constellation, to celebrate this grand occasion.

After all of the parties and festivities had subsided, things returned to normal for the most part. These somewhat recent events faded from the immediate memory of the populace, as well as the knowledge of Luna’s contributions. Those who didn’t hear to begin with, assumed Celestia did it all, as was the general consensus amongst those who never knew or had recently forgotten.

Upon hearing this, the Lunar Princess grew disheartened once more. She would have moped as she usually did, but this time was different. She remembered the words of wisdom that Nightmare Moon had surprisingly shared with her a short time ago. Taking this advice, Luna resolved to stop being such a bleeding heart. She turned a blind eye to the thoughts of her subjects about her, and took pride that she had helped insure the stability of the country. She knew it and so did her sister, that was all that mattered.


DarkFury sat perched upon one of the numerous chandeliers in the main hallway of the castle, looking for trouble or suspicion down below. The clip-clop of hooves was heard as he saw Princess Luna walk beneath. She did not look up or stop, for she did not know he was there. Luna carried on at a brisk pace to whatever her destination was. DarkFury silently glided from chandelier to chandelier with pegasus precision and lightness of hoof, following her.

He stopped for a moment, waiting for her to get a little ways ahead as he looked down. A slight shimmer caught his eye, and he blinked. He continued staring and was awarded with another glimpse of the shimmer as it passed by a moonlit window. Normally DarkFury would not have been able to see the shimmer, but thanks to the transformations that Luna had given to all members of her corps, his eyesight had become sharper. There was no doubt in his mind now, the shimmer had erased it. Somepony was following Luna, but who and why remained to be discovered.

Resuming his surveillance, DarkFury saw to it that Luna arrived at her destination without harm. She entered the royal archives and closed the door immediately behind her. He caught another glimpse of the near invisible sheen as it stopped in front of another window. It stood there for a few moments doing nothing. Preparing to pounce, DarkFury tensed his muscles and homed in on the floating shimmer.

Just as he was about to launch himself into a dive, he heard the faintest of pops, similar to the sound unicorns make after completing a teleportation spell. Cursing, DarkFury leaned back to prevent himself from falling as he chastised himself for not acting sooner. He began to belittle himself before remembering that hindsight was twenty-twenty. He had no idea that this pony was going to teleport, or that he or she was a unicorn to begin with. But he at least knew something about this phantom now, which was a good start he thought, considering his quarry was near-invisible and silent.

Many minutes were passed on the ceiling fixture as DarkFury sat there contemplating. His past couple days of paranoia had payed off, as he now knew for certain that Luna was being followed. What troubled him was the lack of information. He had no motive, no suspect, and only one concrete fact. DarkFury decided that his best course of action would be to monitor this strange unicorn’s ghosting after Luna. He could potentially learn more about this individual. Whoever they were, they didn’t seem openly hostile, otherwise they would’ve already tried to attack Luna. It was as if this pony was trying to scout out Luna’s habits and make notes of them, but why?

Perturbed, DarkFury could only resolve to himself to continue this investigation of his. He would watch and wait, and try to learn more about this stranger. He felt uneasy, as he was sure the intentions of this pony were less than stellar. Come what may, he would react appropriately and take the necessary actions to move forward. If this pony had to die, or even if he had to die, the oath of loyalty he swore compelled him to do his duty without fail.


“Princess Celestia! A matter of utmost importance requires your immediate attention!” A guard cried out as she burst into the main chamber where Celestia held her day court, disregarding the fact Celestia was currently holding an audience for her subjects.

Alarmed, Celestia hurriedly apologized to the ponies whom she was hosting as they were deftly ushered out of the room by another pair of guards. She turned to the guardsmare now, who was panting heavily.

“Guardsmare, what news do you bring?”

Between gasps and pants, she managed to reply, “I have a message from the owlery. It concerns the southern settlements.” The guard stated as she proffered the scroll to Celestia.

Celestia grasped the scroll with her magic and brought it to herself so she could read it. As Celestia read, the guard elaborated.

“We have received news that one of our outlying outposts has been attacked and razed.”

“Razed!?” Celestia asked in alarm.

“Yes, Your Majesty. It was burnt to the ground, and there is no sign of the 20 or so service members stationed at the outpost. All have been declared MIA, or at least most of them.”

“Most of them?” Celestia’s expression and voice turned stern. “Explain.”

“Two bodies were found, and they were I.D.’ed as our own. Both were decapitated and had their heads impaled upon spears that were stuck upright in the ground. That leaves the tally at 23 MIA, and 2 KIA.”

“Who would dare to do such a thing!?” Celestia asked, her tone frothing with a hint of rage.

“We have no idea. We’ve had ponies looking into it since the incident.”

“When did this happen? Why wasn’t I informed sooner?” Celestia snapped, sounding almost angry.

“Your Majesty, please understand, we found out only minutes before you, no thanks to the sheer distance from the southern outposts. News travels slowly, and we’ve had to wait on runners, the rare train that travels that far south, and messenger birds. Central HQ is scrambling, trying to make sense of the data they’re getting. All units in the southern desert are on high alert, keeping a vigilant watch over the region.

As for when the incident occurred, it happened 11 days prior to today. The outpost was silent for a week before a team was sent to re-establish contact. It was assumed the large amount of sandstorms in the area was the reason for lack of a runner or messenger bird. They were mistaken, as they found the week old site of the aftermath from the attack.”

“Is there any other news about this incident?”

“None at the moment, Your Highness. We are sure our colleagues in the south have accrued all the data and evidence needed, but it will take some more time before it reaches us.”

“How much longer?”

“A few days, give or take.”

Celestia gave an exasperated sigh and sat into her throne deeply. “That is all. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.”

The guardsmare bowed and left the room.

“Typhoon.” Celestia called out.

A dark grey pegasus emerged from one of the darkened corners. His bat-like wings flitted as he shifted in his purple armor.

“Princess.” He replied.

“Please inform my sister of this immediately. Wake her if you have to, and tell her to come speak with me.”

“Of course. She will understand.” He said as he slinked his way out of the room and headed toward Luna’s tower.


The next couple days in the castle were panicked debates and meetings with military staff, as news came in by the hour regarding what had happened in the south. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna both sat at the head of a long table, in a conference room. Sitting at the table, were numerous officers of varying ages, ranks, and branches of the military. Large piles of papers were strewn across the table, with small heaps in front of everypony present.

Little progress had been made over the past few days, and Luna’s irritation was beginning to show. Celestia was also irked, but managed to conceal it better than her sister. As two senior officers got into a heated debate, Luna rubbed her hoof against her temple and groaned. A large sigh came from Celestia, showing that she too was exasperated.

A guard burst into the room, and it became quiet as all eyes immediately fell on him. The soldier deposited a small stack of papers on the table, gave a prompt salute and bow, then hurriedly left the room.

Like ravenous wolves, the group of ponies descended upon the papers, eager to discern what new information had been delivered. Celestia managed to grab two copies with her magic, and placed them in front of herself and her sister. Luna rested her head on her hoof staring blankly at a wall, not wanting to look at another trivial piece of paper.

As the chaos settled down, and some semblance of order was restored, everyone began to examine the new paper save Luna.

“It appears to be a picture of the aftermath, particularly the corpses of the deceased and the message.” Called out an old tan earth pony, who happened to be the top general of the army.

Her interest sparked, Luna looked down to examine the image. A grisly sight greeted her, as she saw the two decapitated ponies mentioned so much before. Their heads were impaled on spears, which loomed above the two bodies. One was a mare, the other a stallion. On the bodies, painted with their own blood were small runes.

Luna’s eyes widened as she saw the runes. She would recognize those symbols and characters anywhere. Immediately knowing who was responsible, Luna cleared her throat loudly to grab the attention of all present. It did no good, as by now the officers had entered into another fierce debate. This one about the origin of the runes, as about half claimed they were buffalo, whilst the remainder said it was otherwise.

“SILENCE!” Luna boomed in her Royal Canterlot voice.

Everyone jumped in surprise, and were forced to let Luna have the floor.

“Thank you.” She said. “I know the ones who have so unjustly attacked our own soldiers.”

“Was it the buffalo?” A pegasus officer in his mid-thirties asked.

“No.”

“How can you tell?” An old unicorn croaked. “Them look like buffalo runes to me.”

“That is a misconception, the Buffalo do not use runes. Their written language is more akin to pictures, pictoglyphs, to be precise. No, these are actual runes, scrawled in short, harsh strokes with rough and grating pronunciations. These are the runes of the desert dwellers, the nomadic tribes of the badlands.”

Silence filled the room, as the stunned ponies tried to process this data. Even Celestia was off-put by this revelation.

“It’s impossible.” Said a young officer, who had a large scar running down his face. “Those nomads haven’t been seen in any large quantity in centuries. All that are seen is the occasional lone pony or a small group numbering no more than five. It’s very unlikely they’ve congregated under one banner, the chances are too remote.”

“Too remote?” Luna said, rolling the question in her mouth as she repeated it. “It wasn’t ‘too remote’ a little over a millenia ago! Nomads or not, they banded together against us to protect their way of life. Peace was only attained after they realized they could not continue to sustain the amount of casualties that were being inflicted upon them. They are tenacious, ruthless, and above all, reckless of life or limb.

“Never underestimate your opponents, for that is the first rule of combat. I would elaborate further, but it seems that scar across your face taught that lesson better than I could’ve ever possibly hoped to.” Luna finished with a stern expression.

The officer’s eyes flickered with the smallest hints of anger, but he merely retook his seat without a word.

“Since you know the origin of these runes, can you read them?” Celestia suddenly asked.

“Indeed sister. Roughly translated, the runes say; Broken pact, broken promise. Fear the sand, war comes.”

Numerous gasps filled the room after this bombshell had hit. A stunned silence followed, before somepony asked, “Is this a declaration of war?”

“It would appear so.” Luna replied.

“But why?”

“They mention a pact, most likely the Nomadic Peace Pact formed over a millenia ago. They must believe we have violated the pact, most likely by territorial expansion. Truth be told, such a thing wouldn’t be so far-fetched since old borders and agreements tend to become forgotten.

“Still, I need one of you you to dig up a copy of that pact and inspect it for every term, condition, and detail. We need to know if we are in the wrong.”

“Regardless of being wrong or right, an attack such as this is not justified!” Shouted a young general.

“Their customs are different than ours. Many of the nomads believe much of their land to be sacred, and they punish those that dare to defile or impose upon it. They have every right to be angry, if we have violated the pact. If however, it is they who are in the wrong, they shall pay the toll for their grievous mistake.” Luna finished, her tone heavy as iron.

“Now that the culprits are revealed, how should we go about removing this threat, should we have need to?” Celestia asked.

A mare stood up, her chest adorned with many ribbons. “Use the Equestrian Airforce!” She proclaimed. “We’ll bomb those nomadic primitives back to the stone age.”

“Is the airforce capable of such an operation so far from the capital?” Celestia questioned.

“It most certainly is not.” Luna interjected before the mare could speak. “Our airships are primitive and still untested prototypes. They are slow, and the amount of explosives they can carry is extremely limited. Besides, sandstorms in the area of the badlands would hinder, if not outright destroy the aircraft. I strongly advise against using the airforce in this operation.”

“Princess, please.” The mare protested. “Yes, our vessels are still new, but I’m sure they could…”

“They could what? Struggle to get airborne and slowly lurch at a walking pace at building level? I’m sorry general, but you know better than me on this situation. The airforce is still in it’s infancy, as well as the craft we have being questionable at best. Your branch will not conduct any combat operations until suitable airships have been developed and tested, as our current force is vastly underwhelmed.”

The mare sat down, crestfallen. She looked down at the papers before her and would not look anywhere else.

“What options do we have left?”

“Only one, sister. Since the navy cannot provide support to a land-locked area, this falls to the sole responsibility of the army. We will have to engage them directly and beat them in the traditional manner. Sword against sword, spear against spear.”

Celestia gave a long sigh. “As unpleasant as it is, there is no alternative, is there?”

“No, sister. Negotiations failed in the past, and we cannot even imagine where the nomadic camp would be currently. We have no choice.”

“Unfortunately, I must concede. But if this attack happened almost two weeks ago, how can we be sure another won’t follow, or that it hasn’t already happened?”

“Fret not, for such a thing shan’t happen. Trust me, the nomads are a cautious bunch. They won’t go on the offensive, it’s not their style. All they’ve done is poke a sleeping bear, and now the bear is awake and angry. The ball is in our corner now, and they await to see what we shall do.” Luna stated.

“What do you suggest, Princess?” The old unicorn croaked.

“I suggest we mobilize, then we engage. What units do we have available to be deployed in such short notice?”

“Not much I’m afraid, Your Majesty.” The officer with the scar replied. “Most of our quick-ready reserve units were deployed in the territory we reclaimed, so very few units remaining are capable of doing so in a timely manner.”

“What about the 1st Solar Infantry division?” Celestia asked. “Are they capable of rapid deployment?”

“Negative, Princess. About half of the 1st is currently on leave, and recalling the soldiers who are on leave would take time we don’t have.”

“What about the 29th? The 33rd?” Luna cut in. “Surely there must a large body of troops available for deployment somewhere.”

“Unfortunately not. All nearby units either have a significant amount of troops on leave, or are severely under strength due to a recent troop redistribution. We could create hodge-podge units from various regiments or battalions, but it would be messy.”

“And the troops stationed in the south?”

“Thinly stretched and unable to spare anything.”

Upon hearing this, Luna began laughing hysterically. Everypony looked at her as if she had gone mad. Even Celestia was concerned with Luna’s behavior.

“What’s so funny?” Celestia dared to ask.

Calming down somewhat, Luna managed to speak between short gasps. “This whole situation! It is so similar to what happened over a millennia ago, it’s utterly humorous!” Luna cackled.

Keeping a stern expression and tone, Celestia replied. “And I suppose the solution you’d propose is the same as a thousand years ago?”

“You know me too well, sister.” Luna smiled. “I do indeed volunteer the Lunar Corps to take on the task if needed.”

“BWAHAHAHAHA!”

Roaring laughter filled the room as most of the officers burst into laughter. Celestia did not stir, nor did Luna, although a look of irritation crossed her face.

“Our deepest apologies, Princess.” A younger mare spoke up for the group as they began to regain their composure. “Surely you jest, I mean, the Lunar Corps consists of only enough troops to barely scrape together two small battalions. If history is repeating itself, wouldn’t your force be severely under strength for the duration of the campaign? Especially due to their tenacity and the fact there could be untold thousands of them waiting in the desert?”

Luna retorted harshly. “I would not recommend a unit for combat, regardless of affiliation, if I thought it was unsuitable! Besides, they have the best training in the army, and they comprise mostly of tested combat or guard veterans. One lunar soldier is worth at least five or six standard troops, that I can assure you.

“Still, numbers are a valid concern. It will do no good to fight as hard as six soldiers if you’re being hacked and slashed from all sides. So with my sister’s permission, I would like to request a battalion from the 29th to act as a reserve.”

“Granted. Do what you deem necessary to secure the southern settlements.”

“Thank you sister. The troops shall depart in two days time and travel by train. With any luck, they shall arrive at their destination four days from now.”

“You are all dismissed.” Celestia called out to all of the military officials and officers. After much rustling of various stacks of papers, the room was empty of all but the two Princesses.

Celestia moved to reach out to her sister, but like wisps of smoke, she had vanished into the shadows. Staring at the spot where Luna had been only moments before, Celestia fidgeted nervously. In her mind thoughts churned and swirled, as these dark machinations made her consider unpleasant things. After a minute of grappling with these feelings, Celestia felt resolute.

“Come what may. It will all work itself out for the best in the end.” She whispered to herself as she too, left the now ghostly and vacant conference room.


Pale, blue, torch light illuminated a simple stone passageway that stretched for several dozen yards. Every yard or so, a pair of the spectral, blue-flamed torches lined both sides of the passage. A royal blue carpet stretched down the length of the hall, providing the only decoration, save for the rare small tapestry.

Princess Luna briskly walked down this hallway, her hooves pulling her towards her destination. The same familiar and comforting presence of magical wards, barriers, and locks greeted her as she moved along, passing through and unlocking them. When the hall had run it’s length, a single oaken door sat before the Princess.

The door was painted a dark blue, similar to her coat. Intricate silver carvings and engravings decorated the front of the door, culminating into a large crescent moon in the center. Despite the age of the door, it was not faded or worn. The magic enchantments had seen to that.

Gathering her breath, Luna closed her eyes and channeled the type and frequency of energy to unlock the door. A loud metallic clang resounded through the air, indicating her success. Pushing open the door, she stepped inside the dark room.

After entering, the door slammed shut behind her and relocked itself. Not concerned in the least, she calmly conjured a controlled wave of blue fire that flowed near the ceiling, igniting every ancient torch it could find. The large room glowed in the soft and cool-blue light, providing adequate lighting for every nook and cranny.

The sight that greeted the Princess could not help but make her smile. Trophies and treasures from her youth lined the walls and numerous stands and shelves in the room. A large bookshelf to her left contained hundreds of books that were precious to her, some of which were the only surviving copies left in the world.

All of that paled in comparison to what sat upon a small stone pedestal toward the back. This artifact was undeniably her most valuable, and treasured relic of all. A sword within it’s sheath sat there, having awaited its master’s return for over a millennia. Standing before the pedestal, Luna stared down at the weapon, recalling the battles she fought and the foes she’s slain while wielding this deadly extension of her body.

Reaching out with her magic, she grasped her sword, Argent. Pulling it out of its dark sapphire sheath, she examined the beautiful blade.

The silver sword shone brightly as Luna could clearly make out the intricate details lining its length. Her cutie-mark was engraved at the base of the blade on both sides, while runes of the Lunar language stretched down almost all the way to the tip. The cross-guard and handle were also a dark sapphire, matching the sheath. While the pommel of the sword held a smooth and polished sapphire, shimmering with the rest of the weapon.

Argent was a unique weapon, worth well more than a dragon’s hoard in terms of value and usefulness. It was a gift, from the most ancient and powerful of all dragons, for the services she and her sister provided for them. Forged by the ancient dragon-smiths with their secret magical techniques, Argent would never dull, break, or corrode for any reason. Magic also had no effect on the weapon, making it perfect for deflecting or repelling harmful spells.

On top of these superb traits, Argent had one more trick up its sleeve. A trick so powerful, it had to be bestowed by a deity. That gift was the power of healing. The magnitude of which, tested the boundaries of what is believable and what is logical.

The sword also held other powers, but Luna mentally cringed and shivered upon recalling them. Some were unutterable, being devastatingly destructive and evil. Others were more benign and good, but the toll for their services was high and sickening. Argent served as a proficient teacher as much as it served as a sword, and it was not to be trifled with lightly.

Still holding the blade in her magic, Luna spoke as she stared into the silver metal. “It would seem that the time has come. Argent will break its millenium long fast, and once more taste the bitter drink of blood.”

Argent shimmered in the blue torchlight, as if it was shuddering in anticipation. Giving a snort, Luna sheathed the blade. Taking it with her, she delved deeper into the room.

Delving deeper, Luna came upon the farthest section of this trove of artifacts. Suits of armor stood erect in their stands, appearing like ghostly knights of the days of old. Some suits were full-body, while others were little more than a chestplate and helmet, looking more like the modern armor that was used in this day and age.

Luna’s gaze was not held up by the armor of long dead knights and guards however, as she strode past, focused upon two particular sets of armor in the rear. One was a full-body set caked in dust and cobwebs, yet it shimmered like the silver surface of the moon itself. The other was a familiar light blue, and comprised of only a helmet, chestpiece, metal shoes, and some detachable extensions to protect the neck and legs.

A terrible tremble grasped Luna within its embrace, as she shivered whilst looking upon the armor she wore during her uprising against her sister. The armor of Nightmare Moon. The empty helm seemed to stare into her soul, drawing forth a terrible feeling of dread and despair. Losing her focus, Argent fell out of her magical grip and clattered to the ground beside her. There she lay, covering her head with her fore hooves, trying to block out the horrible thoughts, feelings, and memories swirling within her mind. During which, an all too familiar and unwanted presence resurfaced.

My, my. Even after defeating me, you shake like a leaf in gale-force winds just from looking at the armor we wore. Pathetic. The evil voice taunted.

“The armor you wore!” Luna shouted, squeezing her eyes shut tightly as she cradled her head.

“We! We wore it! We shared the same body, the same consciousness, the same drive, the same desires! It was your will that manifested my being!

“Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!” Luna screamed at the top of her lungs, trying to block out Nightmare Moon’s words.

Do not lie to yourself! You know better than that! You created me, you gave in to your selfish feelings of inadequacy and jealousy, you hurt those around you and yourself! You know this to be true, now face the facts! Do not blame me for your mistakes and shortcomings! Nightmare Moon howled into Luna’s mind.

“I know… I KNOW!” Luna yelled as she began to sob. “Why can’t they see that I’m sorry!? Why can’t they praise me for the things I’ve done? Why must I live in the eternal darkness that is my sister’s shadow!?”

Switching gears, Nightmare Moon changed her tone into one of understanding and compassion.

Oh, Luna, you cannot blame them for not knowing. Nightmare said soothingly, like a mother calming a child. Creating the infrastructure for a country, while important, often goes unnoticed by the public. Your deeds are numerous and great, but that doesn’t matter if no one knows about them... she trailed off with a hint of sadness.

“What… what do you mean?” Luna asked with a sniffle, pulling herself into a sitting position before the armor.

Celestia, she has altered history, Nightmare Moon spat venomously. not literally of course, but figuratively. Those texts on history that are circulated among those ungrateful peasants are heavily edited and altered. They barely mention you, before we failed to usurp Celestia, anyway. They give credit to Celestia for everything, even the things you did all by yourself.

“Now who is lying!?” Luna angrily retorted. “Celestia would never —”

Never what? Allow you to feel so depressed and meaningless that you would create a dark being out of your own sorrow and despair? Tell me I’m wrong. Nightmare stated knowingly.

Luna was speechless. All she could do was stare at the cobblestone floor beneath her.

Celestia is cunning, manipulative, a chess master secretly pulling all the right strings at the exact moment needed. She knows how to bend others to her will without their knowledge, how to rewrite history, and how to deceive even those that are closest to her. Nightmare Moon paused, before continuing in a hushed whisper, as if she could be overheard by another. Celestia is dangerous, Luna. She tried to get rid of you once, she’ll do it again.

“This is all so surreal… you must be lying.”

Am I? Disprove all that I have said. Don’t try to hide it, you still distrust Celestia to some extent. Nightmare Moon said with genuine understanding. Ever since you’ve returned, you’ve been hiding the fact that you hold doubt in the words of your sister. You feel as if she is never completely honest with you, as if she has something to hide.

Luna was struck mute. Nightmare Moon had hit the head of the nail dead on.

I can help you, Luna. I can make you strong, I can help you break your sister’s lies. Nightmare Moon cooed.

“How?”

It is simple. All I ask is for you to wear our armor. It will give you the strength you need.

Luna timidly stepped forward and sat before the light blue armor set. She grasped the helmet and held it between her two fore hooves, gazing at it.

Put it on. Then we will become strong, we will become one. Nightmare finished with a smug tone. One too smug for Luna’s liking.

At that moment, it all clicked into place inside Luna’s mind. “No, never!” She shouted as she tossed the helm as far away from herself as possible.

Nightmare immediately exploded into anger. Fool! You incompetent imbecile!

“Wretch! She-devil!” Luna cursed back at Nightmare Moon. “You dare to twist and bend my thoughts, doubts, and feelings against myself and my sister!? When the time comes to rid myself of you, I shall be all too glad!”

Burn in Tartarus, whorse! You cannot deny all of what I have said, mark my words Luna, mark them! Nightmare screeched. Nor can you deny the truths so blatantly in front of you that have hit far closer to home than you’d like! Use your own eyes, and be thine own judge! Nightmare called out before being forcefully submerged deep into Luna’s subconscious once more.

Panting from the ordeal, Luna stared at the armor with disdain and hate. She swatted the stand with her hoof, knocking it over and sending the pieces sliding and skidding along the floor with several loud, metallic clangs. In a fit of rage, she charged her horn and blasted the light-blue armor, destroying all the pieces making sure they were completely destroyed.

Calming down somewhat, Luna approached her old, silver, full-body set of armor. She placed a hoof upon the cool metal and sighed.

“It seems another old friend will have to do, after I get you cleaned anyway.” Luna said to the armor.

Turning to reclaim Argent from the floor, Luna had regained her calm and cool demeanor, but her mind was anything but. As she prepared to move her armor and leave her room of antiquities and wonders, she could not shake the words that Nightmare Moon had said. But what really shook her was the fact that Nightmare was right. Some things were indeed a bit too true for her comfort, and Luna’s mind was heavy with her thoughts as she exited the room, armor and Argent in tow.


Later that night, Celestia laid in her bed, sleeping fitfully. Her dreams were filled with unpleasant memories and nightmares. She tossed and turned while mumbling incoherently.

Deep in her sleep addled mind, she hoped Luna would appear and calm her, and remove the horrible thoughts and ghouls plaguing her sleep. Instead, the frightening ghost of Nightmare Moon tormented and terrorized her, making her shudder and weep upon recalling the horrible events of Luna’s fall.

As this dark phantom ran rampant throughout her dreams, doubts swirled about her like a dense fog, making her question everything since Luna’s return. Had Luna truly forgiven her? Did Luna place any stock of trust in her? Was Nightmare Moon vanquished from Luna’s mind yet? Was there a divide between them? Could history repeat itself?

“NO!” Celestia shouted, bolting upright, wide awake after the last thought crossed her mind.

She sat upright in her bed, breathing rapidly as her eyes wildly looked about her room. Finding nothing, Celestia slowed her breathing and calmed somewhat. She closed her eyes and rested her forehead on her hooves, the nightmares and thoughts still dancing before her mind. Collecting herself, she opened her eyes to gaze at the sheets below.

“Luna… I… I need to talk to you…”

Pulling herself out of bed, Celestia made for her door. She did not bother to fix her appearance, as her mind was focused elsewhere. Her mane was matted and untamed and she wore nothing other than the sheet she took with her, which was now draped around her form.

Celestia headed towards Luna’s room, after she absentmindedly dismissed the concerns of her guards about her state. The walk seemed to take forever, as if the hall kept stretching itself longer to emphasize the distance between the two sisters. After what seemed like a decade, Luna’s door became visible.

As she approached, the two black-clad lunar guards in front of the doors became distinguishable from the shadows. They nodded their heads and did not obstruct her path. Grabbing the handles with her magic, Celestia opened the doors and entered.

Luna’s room was dark, as it usually was. The small amount of available light was pale and soft. The moonlight and stars outside, and from the ceiling, gave enough illumination to see the interior of the room easily.

Luna was standing in front of a mirror, which stood a short ways away from the end of her bed. The sound of metal scraping against itself, and the fastening of clasps and buckles echoed quietly in the room. Curiously, Celestia approached. The sounds were coming from Luna, but what were they?

Getting closer, Celestia’s curiosity turned into alarm. Before the mirror, Luna was half-dressed in a full set of silver platemail. Not just any silver plate armor, it was the very same set Luna used centuries ago, used in every great conflict she served.

So this was why that Luna was not in deep meditation as she usually was, entering and calming the dreams of others. For some reason that escaped Celestia, Luna was trying on her old armor.

“Luna…”

“I was expecting you.”

“What?” Questioned Celestia.

“I sensed you weren’t sleeping well, so naturally, I’d thought you’d come here.” Luna elaborated as she levitated a piece of her armor over and fitted it onto herself.

“Then you know why I’m here…”

“No.” Luna said abruptly. “I know your dreams are troubling you, but I do not know what about. But I suppose that’s why you’re here.”

“You are very perceptive, sister.”

“When it comes to shadows, dreams, and the night, I reign supreme.”

“Listen, Luna, we need to talk.”

“Then speak. Speak whilst I’m still here.”

“Wait, still here? What… what do you mean?” Celestia asked, fearful of the response.

“Exactly what I’ve said. I depart in two days.”

“Two days? But that’s when your troops depart. Surely you can’t mean…”

The cogs of Celestia’s sleepy mind started to mesh and work. Putting it together, Celestia could only gasp in shock as Luna turned back to give her a quizzical glance.

“No… no… You can’t be serious… Oh by the power of the sun, you are!” Celestia exclaimed as she slumped onto the foot of Luna’s bed.

She sat on something hard, and it was also long and flat. Hoping it wasn’t what she thought, Celestia pulled it out from under her to examine it. Before her levitated Argent in it’s dark sheath.

“E-e-even A-a-argent is here…” Celestia stuttered as she began to shake, not wanting to believe what was plainly in front of her.

Luna had said nothing. She only fitted more plates and pieces to herself, occasionally stretching and moving to make sure the armor wasn’t inhibiting her movements overly much. By now, her legs and torso were fully encased, leaving only her head, neck, and wings free.

“Luna… why?”

“‘Tis my duty.” Luna answered plainly, not bothering to turn towards Celestia.

“Duty!?” Celestia shouted incredulously. “The duty of a princess is to govern her country! Not march off to war!”

With a sigh, Luna turned to her sister. “Sister, please, calm thyself.”

“Calm? Calm!? How can I be calm?! My only sister is preparing to march into a battlefield!”

“Tia, we have both experienced the harshness of warfare. We are both still here. You know I am more than capable of holding my own.”

“But Lulu, it’s been over a millennia since either one of us has gone into battle. Not a day goes by where I don’t recount at least one frightening memory from those dark times.”

“I know Tia, I know.” Luna said sadly.

“Why!? Why must you do this? Do you have such little faith in those you command!?” Celestia cried out as she began to weep.

“I have the utmost confidence in them. I just merely wish to observe them in action, to ensure things function smoothly.”

“You… you aren’t going to fight? Only command from the rear?” Celestia asked tearfully.

Luna began pawing the ground with her hoof and looked away. “I did not say that…”

“Luna!” Celestia shrieked like a banshee.

“Leading by example is one of the most effective ways!” Luna countered sharply, her words like the edge of a blade.

“No! This is lunacy! I will not permit it! You will not leave the castle!” Angry tears flowed freely down Celestia’s face as she screamed at her sister.

Becoming enraged, Luna went off as well. “Who are you to order me about!? We are equals! I will be on that train when it departs, and you won’t stop me!”

“I will stop you, even if I have to rip up every single railroad track in the kingdom! I won’t let you make such a stupid decision and get yourself killed!”

“You are over-reacting, listen to yourself! I am capable, and Argent shall protect me should my own prowess fail me! You have no say in this matter! You aren’t mother! Why in the name of Tartarus won’t you leave me alone!?” Luna finished, as moisture began to accrue in her eyes.

Upon hearing the last part, Celestia stopped dead. It looked as if she had been struck.

“I… I just…”

“What!? Out with it!”

“I just want to protect you. To keep you safe.”

Luna cringed from Celestia’s statement, before continuing her own verbal assault.

“And I want you to leave me alone! I know you still have a guard tail me occasionally, I’m not stupid! You’re not mother, you worry too much, and you should stop concerning yourself with me! Haven’t you done enough!? You’re not helping, only smothering and suffocating me! Get your own life! Just leave me alone and get your own life!” Luna finished, her voice hoarse after that outburst as she stood, panting as if she was about to cry. She turned back to her mirror, and began fitting the plates that would cover her neck.

Celestia just sat on the foot of Luna’s bed, looking like a blubbering nervous wreck. Only a thin strand of composure held back what was sure to be a gushing dam waiting to burst.

“You don’t mean it. You don’t mean it! You don’t mean it! Youdon’tmeanit! Youdon’tmeanit! Youdon’tmeanit!” Celestia said, trying in vain to hold back the small rivers coming from her eyes.

“Did I hesitate!?” Luna thundered, wheeling towards her sister.

A stifled whimper was the only reply she got.

“I meant exactly what I said.” Luna stated, heavily enunciating every word of the sentence. “Why are you still here!? Get out! GET OUT!” Luna clamored, with tears escaping from her eyes.

Finally unable to hold it back any longer, Celestia gave out a wail as she began bawling profusely. Too distraught to teleport herself, she ran out the door, sobbing all the way to her room.

After Celestia was gone, Luna took several quick, deep breaths and began to cry silently herself. She felt terrible for what just happened, but she knew it had to come out eventually. The tears streamed down her face and fell to the floor below. She sat on her bed, sobbing and heaving as she buried her face in her fore hooves. While sobbing quietly, Luna angrily cursed war, conflict, and herself. She also begged her sister for forgiveness, as she buried her face further as she continued to shed innumerable tears.

Princess Celestia lay weeping upon her bed. Troubled immensely since Luna didn’t tell her sooner that she was leaving, and the fact she was going to lead her troops into battle. Garish images and scenarios played through her mind, haunting and taunting her mercilessly. Celestia wished she could fix everything between her and Luna, but knew in the back of her mind that not everything was forgivable.


Two days later, the entirety of the 13th and a battalion from the 29th boarded a train that would take them south. As Luna climbed up on the train during the pre-dawn dark, she looked back to the platform, half-expecting to see someone there to see her off. Instead, she only saw the bare and empty platform.

Luna’s mind was heavy with the memories and thoughts from two nights prior. She was not surprised that Celestia wasn’t there, but was surprised that Celestia had isolated herself in her room for the past two days. She wouldn’t allow anyone in, nor would she exit for any reason. Luna didn’t blame her, for she knew she had wounded her sister.

Twice did she converse with Celestia since she retreated to her room, crying heavily. Once through the door, the other in the dreamscape. Neither ended well, and only more shouting and hurt feelings were had by both parties. It was too soon, and the subject too raw. Maybe time apart would do them both some good, Luna told herself repeatedly.

Feeling as if she was being watched, Luna pivoted her head towards the source. Her eyes locked onto a pale figure on a balcony from the castle. Shivering, Luna looked down and away. She could not bring herself to look back at her sister. Not yet, not after saying those hurtful things.

Another concern was what ponies were saying around Canterlot. News of the two sisters having arguments and disagreeing had spread rather rapidly, and it would only continue to spread further. Luna had heard the wild fears of the commoners due to this news, everything from the diarchy losing stability and possibly collapsing, to rumors that she would turn into Nightmare Moon once more.

The train whistled loudly as it lurched forward, dragging the cars slowly behind it. Luna was shaken out of her thoughts as she was pulled further away from the castle. Giving one last fleeting glimpse at the pale figure, Luna turned and entered the train car. Celestia saw her sister vanish into the car, and she too, vanished from sight as she left her balcony.

Author's Note:

Chapter 7 has arrived at last!

Pre-reading was once again done by the amazing Auramane!

Thank you all for being so patient! I thank you all for your continued support and patience with my slow updates.

-Nocturnal