• Published 24th Nov 2012
  • 3,952 Views, 265 Comments

Princess Luna and Luna's Lunatics - TheNocturnalLoner



Luna has returned and she needs to adjust to the times, and restore her former royal legacy. As well as the reputation of her once glorious Lunar Corps.

  • ...
19
 265
 3,952

Chapter 6: New guys

It had been a while since Luna had conducted her cross-country recruitment campaign, and during this time, the first few rounds of trainees had been processed. Not all had passed the rigorous standards of the 13th, but enough had passed so as to swell the number of the Lunar Corps considerably. The 13th was now almost 1,500 strong, with double that number currently in various stages of processing and training.


The large amount of new recruits were still trying to adjust to their new sleeping pattern as they were abruptly awakened by their NCO’s. A gathering of all Lunar Soldiers was occurring tonight, as mandated by Luna herself. As the soldiers grumbled and shuffled their way towards the gathering, one colt could be described as anything but tired.


Quicksilver hurriedly donned his new purple armor, and raced to the gathering area, nearly knocking over or running into several fellow soldiers on the way. As he reached the gathering area in one of the training fields, which was already starting to fill with troops, the white colt trotted around incessantly. Lacking any friends among his fellow kin, he moved about constantly, letting his thoughts distract him as he killed time. Unfortunately, he lost focus of where he was going and bumped into somepony from the side.


“Eh!” The mare cried out, startled.


Wheeling towards him in a fury, Quicksilver was able to see every detail of the mare he bumped into. She was an earth pony, just like him, and her coat was a very light gray. She also had a two-toned mane containing the colors of blue and green, which was visible since she was not wearing her helmet. Her angry, brown eyes were focused on him along with the angry scowl marking her face.


“Watch where you’re going! You little piece of…” She trailed off as she realized she was facing a pony much younger and smaller than she expected. “Try not to bump into me again, alright kid?” She continued, turning away from him while mumbling to herself.


“I’m not a kid!” Quicksilver countered.


“Whatever pipsqueak, now scram.”


“What’s your problem?”


“Something with four legs, is white, and has a bright orange mane and glasses. Now beat it!” She angrily growled.


“Sorry.” Quicksilver muttered, walking away from the mare. “What’s the deal with her?” He asked himself.


A short while later, after all the soldiers had assembled, Princess Luna herself appeared before the large group. Luna began to address them and stated that they would all be learning advanced combat techniques to counter airborne opponents, namely griffons. As she elaborated about this further, a group of five soldiers came rushing in. Luna’s eyes tracked the group as they came in and meshed with the other members, but she did not stop her explanation.


Upon finishing her elaboration, Luna pulled out a pair of long, and graceful blades. Showing them to the crowd, she explained they were wing-blades, ancient weapons used by pegasi warriors long ago. The fact that the griffons had imposed a ban on their usage about a thousand years ago, had rendered them to be useless heirlooms sitting on hearths to be forgotten to the sands of time. Now however, would be the time of their revival as military weapons. The said ban was nullified and the Griffon Empire looked as hostile as it had ever been in living memory.


“In addition to the advanced anti-air combat techniques that everypony shall learn, the pegasi will also become familiar with the usage of wing-blades. I would like to demonstrate their use, but I require a volunteer for my sparring partner.” Luna finished as she swept her gaze over the large group.


Several hooves shot into the air at once, giving a host of ponies to choose from. Donning wooden mock-ups of the blades, Luna engaged her first opponent. After a short session of the pegasus trying in vain to evade Luna or attack her, he was swiftly beaten and earned a few bruises to show it. A second contender fared no better, and she too walked away with some new bruises.


By now, the amount of hooves in the air had dropped to zero. Upon seeing Luna’s speed and agility, just about everypony there knew they were far outclassed.


“Afraid are we?” Luna mockingly chuckled. “Very well, I shall choose my last opponent then. You, sergeant, is who I choose.” Luna stated as she pointed with her hoof toward a pegasus stallion with a light blue-purple coat near the front.


As he fitted his webbed wings with the wooden mock-ups of the wing-blades, Quicksilver could not help but notice that this pegasus seemed excessively nervous. Sure, he was going to spar against the most beautiful Princess ever to grace the face of the world in front of about two-thousand ponies, but he didn’t seem like he was all there. It was as if his mind was focused elsewhere, and his body was free to fidget as nervously as it pleased. Maybe he has stage-fright or performance anxiety? Quicksilver thought.


DarkFury flitted his wings continuously, trying to get accustomed to the new weight on them. Worried, his mind raced faster than that one mare who did a sonic rainboom, as he started sweating profusely. Staring down Luna, who was a mere five yards away, he gulped nervously.


Why am I here doing this? Is she punishing me? Does she remember what happened, and if so, was it bad? I hate alcohol.


“Begin!” Luna shouted as she leaped into the air.


Spreading her wings, Luna began to climb and circle quickly around their starting positions, as if she expected DarkFury to do the same. To her surprise, he was still on the ground, still staring straight ahead, lost in thought.


Is something wrong, DarkFury? She projected her question into his mind.


No! I mean yes! No, I’m just… He replied, a little too quickly.


Tired?


Yeah… sorry.


Withdrawing from his mind, she found he was facing her now, yet still rooted to the earth. She thought he looked half-terrified, but discounted it due to the fact he said he was tired.


“Why does thou stay bound to the earth? Winged creatures do combat in the sky, not the ground.” Luna called out.


“You have already proven that you own the sky, Princess, but can the sky bend the earth to its will?” DarkFury cryptically challenged in response.


Luna gave a small smirk, surprised by his bold statement. Just one surprise after another. I can really pick students I suppose.


“Brace yourself sergeant, the full wrath of the sky is about to crash upon you!” Luna shouted as she dived straight for him.


Luna lashed out with her wings as she just barely flew above him, but she connected with nothing but air. DarkFury had waited until Luna was completely committed to her approach and rolled out of the way at the last moment. Now he sat lithe as a cat, lightly poised on his legs with his wings spread slightly. Waiting to attack or dodge when the opportunity presented itself, while Luna had climbed and began circling once more.


Trying her luck from different angles of approach, Luna’s dive-bombs were still unsuccessful. DarkFury kept dodging every attack, always rolling or using his wings to propel himself out of her range. The other two recruits weren’t this challenging to deal with.


That’s when it clicked. Luna realized her first two opponents were greenhorns, having little to no experience with combat besides training. DarkFury on the other hand, was displaying skilled techniques learnt from actual experience. It was unsurprising he knew of some basic techniques to counter airborne opponents. After all, he had served at least one tour in the Griffon Highlands, during which he apparently engaged some foes. That, and Luna had fallen into a pattern. Her strikes were too predictable, and an experienced soldier would be able to pick up signals that would alert them that she was starting a dive.


Chiding herself for being so careless and overconfident, she decided to take control of the engagement. Diving once more, Luna put more speed and a steeper angle into this dive.


As DarkFury patiently waited for Luna to get close, he noticed she was coming in faster than previously. Suspecting nothing amiss, he waited until the last possible moment before using his wings to propel himself to the side. Expecting her to be long gone, he was dumbfounded when he realized she was in front of him. She had made a hard landing and was rushing him with wing-blades swinging.


Caught completely off-guard, he tried to propel himself backwards before he was ready. As a result, his hind leg dragged on the ground and caused him to fall on his back, falling just below the mock blades.


Luna swung at the ground where he was a moment before, him having already rolled to the left. Righting himself, he tried to get a running start while getting back up on his hooves. Before he could, he fell flat on his stomach. Luna had used her magic to grab his leg and pull, causing him to fall.


With incredible speed, Luna was atop him again, slashing downwards. DarkFury kept doing short rolls to either side, narrowly missing each strike. He tried using his wing-blades to get her off of him, but she deftly sidestepped every swing he made at her underbelly.


With both parties becoming increasingly frustrated, DarkFury planted his hooves beneath himself and pushed with all his might. His back slammed into Luna’s underside as she gave a gasp of shock and was thrown up into the air a short ways. Pivoting, DarkFury lashed out with his left wing, hoping to get her in the side while she was stunned. Luna managed to regain her senses and block with her own blade, as the sound of wood hitting wood met his ears.


Both opponents faced each other again, staring each other down. DarkFury looked different, Luna thought. His eyes were filled with intense concentration, as he was only thinking about how to win, how to counter attacks, and how to launch his own. That and his wicked grin made him appear as if he was enjoying this, like he lived for combat. Like somepony else that Luna had known centuries ago…


Bellowing, DarkFury charged, swinging for Luna’s head. She effortlessly blocked his strike and the two exchanged blows. The cycle repeated with no end in sight. Block, attack, block, attack. Finally, Luna decided to end this fight. It had dragged on a bit too long she thought, but she had learned a lot about her student from this mock battle.


After blocking one of DarkFury’s attacks, he was beginning to launch another one when Luna acted. She suddenly flashed him bedroom eyes and blew him a kiss. His focus shattered like an icicle hitting stone. He stopped dead in mid-swing while he blushed instantly, stuttering like a nervous colt on his first date.


Acquiring the desired effect, Luna acted swiftly. She swung her wing-blades into his legs, hard. Knocking them out from under him and laying him out on his side. Luna smirked with triumph, her victory complete.


DarkFury laid on his side, dazed. “Ow.” He said, trying to comprehend what exactly just happened in those last couple of seconds.


Luna extended her hoof out to him. “On your hooves sergeant, you fought well.”


DarkFury shook his head to clear his thoughts, and reached for Luna’s hoof with his own. She pulled him upright as easily as she might pick up a piece of paper, which led DarkFury to wonder just how strong Luna really was. Not to mention it revealed to him that she could have ended the fight anytime she wanted to. The only reason their fight lasted longer than the other two was because she let it.


DarkFury just stared at the ground, embarrassed, while Luna addressed the crowd of soldiers.


“As you can all see, deception, surprise, and being unconventional can be just as essential as strength or tactics in battle. Your new training regiment shall begin tomorrow. I expect to see some stellar results if tonight was any indicator of the potential you all have.”


Luna glanced toward DarkFury, who had begun to raise his eyes. He quickly looked down and to the side, blushing slightly with embarrassment.


She continued, “Until then, you all have the remainder of this night off and are free from duties. May you all flourish under my moon and my sister’s sun.” Luna finished, as she began charging a teleportation spell.


Before she teleported, she gave DarkFury another mental message. I’ll be expecting you the night after next for your lesson. You fought well, and should be proud. Few can claim to have locked blades against the moon.


DarkFury was about to reply with a question of his own, namely about a night two days ago. But… Luna was gone, having already teleported. Still paranoid, he once more began to fret about what he thought could have happened that night. The nightmarish thoughts and apparitions tormented him greatly, and he did not think he would make it until the night after next.


After Luna’s demonstration, the large group of soldiers dispersed. Some went into the streets of Canterlot, to find entertainment and spend their free time. While the others returned to the barracks and mess hall, to either hang out with their fellow soldiers or try to get some more sleep.


Coaldust, DarkFury, Frostburn, and FireMane were groggily shuffling back towards their barracks. The four ponies trudged in a silent line, only noticing two new tag-alongs when they started bickering between themselves.


“You again! What do you want now kid?” A mare’s voice called out.


“I’m not a kid!” Replied a young colt, sounding as if he only just became of age.


As one, the four soldiers stopped and turned towards the two new voices. A bright white colt with an orange mane and glasses met their eyes, as well as a light gray mare with a two-toned blue and green mane. Both were earth ponies, and they had the purple armor of the Lunar corps upon them. Upon seeing them and the duffle bags they each had, the group gave an inward sigh. FNGs They all thought.


The four of them stared as the two earth ponies argued between themselves about directions or something similar. Seeing no one else bothering to move, Coaldust gave a sigh and approached the arguing duo.


“Can I help you?” Coaldust asked, trying not to sound tired as he asked the question.


The two stopped their bickering, looked at each other, and then turned to Coaldust.


“Uh yeah, could you please tell us how to…” The colt started to ask.


“Get to the bucking barracks, specifically A building.” The mare interjected and finished, impatient.


Coaldust raised a brow upon her impatience, and replied, “Why do you two want to know? Got a date or something over there?”


“No. That’s where we’re both supposed to be quartered.” The colt answered timidly.


Great, just great. We have to share our barracks with them. Fan-bucking-tastic.


“We’re on our way there.” Coaldust replied. “Just follow us and you’ll get there.”


With that, Coaldust rejoined the group and they continued on their way, the two earth ponies in tow. During the walk, Coaldust told everyone where the two new guys were being quartered, and a couple of glances were thrown in the earth ponies’ direction. After which, a couple of sighs could be barely made out, and a few snickers erupted from the four as a couple of jokes were exchanged.


Incensed, the mare became angry. Without warning, she yelled at the group.


“Hey! Assholes! What’s so bucking funny!?”


The group stopped and turned to face her, their faces emotionless.


“I’m sorry… What warranted that?” Coaldust asked.


“You assholes did. You think it’s funny that we’re earth ponies or something?”


“No, we didn’t say that.”


“Not to my face you mean!” She angrily countered.


“Ah… I get it now.”


“Get what?”


“You’re one of those earth ponies who thinks all pegasi and unicorns are racist pricks, aren’t you? News flash, we aren’t.”


“Bullshit. You think we’re lesser than you, just because you’ve had a posh upbringing and that you have horns or wings. I’m surprised you can all handle military life, shouldn’t you all be clutching your mothers back at home?”


Frostburn almost lost it. An angry scowl lined his face while his eyes burned with intense hatred. He was about to make a rush for the mare, but DarkFury jumped in front of him, blocking his path. FireMane did as well, saying, “Calm down Frostburn, she doesn’t know what she’s talking about. Just forget her.”


Coaldust also grew angry, as he grabbed the mare with his magic. He tossed her against the side of the C barracks while he leaned in close to her, pinning her in place.


Quicksilver sat there, stunned. He could do nothing but watch this scene unfold before his eyes.


“Oooh, I made you angry. Are you going to beat me, rape me for my transgression? Hmm? Going to put the filthy earth pony in her place?” She challenged, her voice venomous.


“As much as your sick mind would like that, no, I’m not going to rape or beat you. What I am going to do, is try to get something through that thick skull of yours.” Coaldust angrily growled.


“Like what? I don’t need to hear anything from you. I’ve led a dark life filled with horrible shit that I’m sure you’ve never had to do or live with.”


“Try me.” Coaldust replied, gritting his teeth.


“You know nothing of loss. I had a decent life, before my overbearing family pushed me too far. I needed something to relieve my stress, and provide myself with an escape from the pressures of my parents. I turned to drugs. At least they would listen when my parents wouldn’t.”


“Boo hoo. If that’s all, that’s not much.”


“Buck you! My parents were assholes, always holding me up to high expectations that I could never quite reach. They went easy on my siblings, but being the eldest apparently meant living out the perfect life they never had. They tortured me, emotionally and mentally if I failed to perform.”


“Still not convinced.”


“After I turned to drugs, I flunked out of school. Rather than tolerate failure or try to help me, my parents disowned me. They threw me out and would have nothing to do with me. I lived on the street, doing what was needed to survive and get my next high. My life was an endless cycle of drugs and sex. Drugs to escape the shitty reality that had become my life, and sex to acquire the drugs I needed to get high.”


“You were a prostitute?”


“Yes, I was. A bucking drug addict who solicited herself for her next meal and her next high. My life was a living nightmare, and I’m glad I’m free from that now. I highly doubt you have anything that can compare.” The mare finished, trying to stare down Coaldust.


Coaldust stood down, leaving the mare free from the position he pinned her in. “Alright, you’ve seen and done some serious shit, I suppose I can level with you.”


“You have nothing to compare! You had a privileged life, you wouldn’t understand.”


“Still holdin onto that racism? Fine. But listen to what I have to say, then we’ll see if your opinion has finally come down to earth.” He paused, gathering his memories.


“Well, get on with it!”


“Impatient aren’t we?” Coaldust cleared his throat. “I’ll give you the simple version. I was born into poverty, with my family faring pretty badly. Living out near Ghastly Gorge and barely scraping out a living, it wasn’t pretty. Family had to come first, so I started working in our private mine with my pa as soon as I could swing a pick. Long days of hard labor and scraps to eat did quite a toll on me, but my pa fared worse. He wouldn’t admit it, but I saw him cut his meager share of our food every day, adding most of it to the daily ration of my siblings and myself.


“We were hungry, always hungry. That ravenous feeling held us captive constantly. Some days, when food was really scarce, we’d hallucinate. See food where there was nothing to see. Thinking that the dirt we stood upon was chocolate or stew, while the boards of our shack turned into loaves of bread. Many were the nights I was scared of sleep, for fear I might not wake up the next day.


“After a couple of years, we finally had some luck. We hit a large vein of gems, not the occasional few here and there, but a mammoth underground river of the precious objects. We took some to market, and were able to finally buy ourselves all the food we could eat. With our food problem resolved sufficiently for the time, we had another problem. We sat atop a vast amount of wealth, but had no buyers. Ponies in our area were either gem miners as well or had no use for gems. So, I decided to travel. I packed a huge saddlebag full of the jewels and moved from town to town, selling individual gems while always searching for somepony in need of a gem supplier.


“I saw and did many strange and questionable things while out on the road, but I wouldn’t have traded it for anything. I eventually found the buyer I was lookin for in Fillydelphia. He was a rather rich fellow, and he was trying to found a gem and enchantment store. Apparently both were in high demand out east, as I discovered. I met him and we talked. He practically danced with joy when I told him the amount of gems we had. So happy in fact, he bought it all, hired my pa and myself, and had my pa and siblings moved to Fillydelphia.


“I worked in his shop for a year or two, but grew bored of the same old scenery every day. So one day, I bid him and my family farewell. I can be content now, knowing that my family will be safe and secure in their new lives.”


“Huh.” The mare replied. “I suppose you all aren’t privileged bastards, but that only explains you, not them.” She said, pointing her hoof at the group of three pegasi.


“FireMane led a normal life, same as his brother. DarkFury, the blue-purple one, lost both his parents at a young age. While Frostburn, the one you pissed off, well… he’s just one sad story after another.”


“Like what?” She snorted.


“Imagine, that you actually loved your mother. So much so, that she was the light of your life, the only pony you knew who loved and cared for you. Now, imagine seeing her brutally raped and murdered before your eyes, while being powerless to stop it. That is what he had to live through, and it haunts him to this day.”


Quicksilver sat there stunned, with his mouth agape upon hearing this. The mare on the other hoof, looked down at the ground, wordless.


“What’s your name?” Coaldust suddenly asked. “Both of you.”


“I’m Quicksilver.” The white colt said.


“Snapdragon.” The mare quietly replied, her tone subdued.


“Well, Quicksilver, Snapdragon, I think we’ll all get along just fine. Just tone it down a notch and keep an open mind Snap, not everypony you meet will be a racist bigot. Some will, but hey, they were assholes to begin with, right?”


“My name is Snapdragon! Not Snap!” She suddenly roared, as Coaldust began to laugh heartily as the group cantered over towards A barracks.


Back in A barracks, there wasn’t much to do. It was rather empty, save the six ponies who had entered a short while ago. Coaldust and FireMane sat on their bunks reading, while Frostburn also sat on his bunk, grinding a whetstone against his sword to sharpen it. The noise reverberated throughout the room, with a steady pace and eerie sound. Meanwhile, Snapdragon and Quicksilver had laid claim to an empty bunk nearby, and were trying to settle in. DarkFury was at the end of the room pacing. He was muttering under his breath and his folded wings were flitting and bouncing constantly against his back.


Bored, Snapdragon broke the silence. “Don’t you guys do anything fun around here?”


“Normally.” Coaldust responded, not looking away from his book. “But we can’t for a while.”


“Why?” She asked.


“Did you hear about the drunken spree a couple days ago? Involving five lunar soldiers and the Princess herself?”


“Of course. I’m sure guard units throughout the country have heard about it by now.”


“That was us.” Coaldust grinned.


“No way.”


“Yes way. We were all drunk off our asses, and following a debatebly more drunk princess. By the goddess, she could sure pack away the moonshine. I’ve seen heavy drinking, but she put every pony in that bar to shame by at least tenfold.”


“So that’s…”


“Why we’re stuck here, and not currently in the city itself.” Coaldust finished. “We won’t be having any fun for a long time.”


“You said there were five, but I only count four of you.” Quicksilver interjected.


“Indeed. FireMane’s brother is currently absent. Dunno where he went. Hey, FireMane!” Coaldust called out.


“What?”


“Where’s your conniving brother?”


“I don’t know. He said something about going “hunting” after the demonstration. Anyone’s guess where he is now.” FireMane replied, somewhat irritated.


“Hunting?” Quicksilver asked, confused.


“Chasing tail.”


“Huh?”


“I’ll explain.” FireMane replied, looking away from his magazine and over towards Quicksilver. “He’s chasing after mares. You know, either trying to form some misshapen thing that’s supposed to be a relationship, or trying to score. My guess is the latter.” FireMane finished, returning to his magazine.


“Oh.”


Just then, one of the doors to A barracks was flung open as a pegasus entered the room. He looked like FireMane, but his tail was a fiery combination of two shades of red instead of his mane. He was obviously disgruntled as he made his way to the bunk FireMane was in, his head looking down while he muttered all the while. Several red marks were also visible upon his face.


“Back already?” FireMane asked, not bothering to look up from his magazine.


“Yup.”


“Any luck?”


“Nope. Can’t you see the hoof-marks on my face?”


“I can, but I’d thought I wouldn’t mention them so as not to embarrass you.”


“Ugh.” FireTail grunted.


Still downcast, FireTail passed by Quicksilver and Snapdragon and muttered something resembling “hey” to them. Snapping to his senses, he quickly stopped and turned toward the two newcomers.


“Who are these guys?” He asked, pointing at them. “And when did we have such a majestic mare quartered here?” He finished, giving Snapdragon a heavy-lidded gaze. In response, Snapdragon gave a disgusted snort and narrowed her eyes at him.


“Just now.” Coaldust replied. “These two newbies are fresh from training, and they had the misfortune of being put in the same building as you.”


“Aah. What’s your name white-out?” FireTail asked.


“Um, Quicksilver.”


“Nice name. Now how about you, beautiful?” He questioned, moving closer to Snapdragon.


Shifting her stance to put more distance between them, Snapdragon replied with a strained voice, “Snapdragon.”


His eyebrow raised upon hearing her name. “Snapdragon? As in, like the flower?”


“I guess…”


“Do any gardening?” FireTail asked as he began to circle her.


“No. What kind of question is thAT!” Snapdragon suddenly screeched, as FireTail lifted up part of her armor that was covering her flank.


“So that’s your cutiemark? A cute pink flower superimposed on a rock. A heart-shaped rock. Nice.”


Snapdragon punched FireTail square in the jaw and he hit the floor.


“BUCKING PERVERT!”


“Ow. I like a strong mare, shouldn’t expect less from an earth pony. You have beautiful eyes by the way.”


Despite causing the slightest of blushes, this only enraged Snapdragon further. Bellowing, she picked up FireTail, held him above her head, and then threw him at the nearest wall. A loud crash sounded as his chest plate hit the wall and he landed in a heap.


“H-holy shit!” FireMane laughed out as he jumped up and ran over to his brother.


Coaldust began laughing hysterically. Quicksilver sat there, quiet, unsure of how to react. While Frostburn stopped his sharpening for a moment, looked at the scene before him, and merely shook his head as he went back to grinding the whetstone. DarkFury was still pacing a rut in the floor, seeming to not have noticed.


“You okay?” FireMane asked as he stood over his brother, trying not to laugh.


“Bro?”


“Yeah?”


“Call me a doctor, I need to verify this diagnosis.”


“And that would be?”


“I think I’m in love.”


“Oh, good grief.”


“UGH!” Snapdragon shouted in disgust as she slammed her fore hooves on the floor. Cursing under her breath, she stepped outside of the barracks.


“Will you ever learn?” FireMane asked.


“Probably not. Now… I feel really tired. I’m gonna take a nap now.” FireTail said as he fell asleep right then and there.


Hoisting his brother up onto his back, FireMane brought him over to the bunk and threw him onto the bed.


“Geez, you would be wearing full armor except your helmet.” He grumbled.


“So… what’s your story?” Coaldust asked Quicksilver, who was looking at FireTail.


Grabbing his attention, Quicksilver turned to Coaldust. “Uh, well… it’s not much of a story. I just live in Ponyville.”


“Ponyville? That small town we went through? Seems like a quiet place.”


“More happens there than you’d think.”


“Any family?” FireMane suddenly butted in.


“My dad, twin brothers, my sister, and my friend Ash.”


“Ash? What kind of name is that?”


“He’s a phoenix I found when he was an egg. I raised him after he hatched, and was my only friend until I moved to Ponyville.”


“A phoenix? I hear they’re good luck to have around. Sounds like you got really lucky there.” Coaldust said.


“I suppose.”


“Is your sister of age?” FireMane asked.


“Why do you want to know!?” Quicksilver declared, becoming extremely defensive.


“Woah, woah. I was just curious, calm down. If you don’t want to tell us about her, then just say so. This colt’s got some pep in him.”


“I do, actually.” Quicksilver proudly stated. “In fact, I am one of the fastest runners in all of Equestria.”


“Pfft. And I shoot flames out of my eyes.” FireMane retorted sarcastically.


“It’s true, I’m fast! Few can match my speed!”


“He’s not lying.”


The three ponies turned to who had spoke. It was Frostburn.


“I’ve seen him run. He damn near shamed everyone while the recruits were running laps yesterday.”


“Well, if he’s vouching for you, there must be some truth to your claim.” FireMane admitted.


“Wait a second, we were all still asleep yesterday. Frostburn, how did you see this?” Coaldust inquired.


Frostburn just shrugged. “I woke up. Didn’t think you guys would want to be woken, so I let you be. I just walked around for a bit, then went back to sleep.”


“If you say.”


With that, Frostburn returned to his task.


Quicksilver now turned his attention to DarkFury, who was still pacing around in the back.


“Why is DarkFury over there?”


Coaldust shrugged. “Him and Frostburn aren’t very social ponies, and they prefer to keep to themselves. Even with us, they are a bit aloof. Frostburn has his reasons, but I think DarkFury’s reason is the hedgehog’s dilemma.”


“Hedgehog’s dilemma?” Quicksilver curiously asked.


“If two hedgehogs are cold, they want to get close to each other to share warmth. However, if they do get close, they are likely to hurt each other with their quills. In short, it means he is afraid to form close relationships with anyone, for fear of hurting others or being hurt himself. We’ve tried to get him out of his shell, and we’ve had some success. He’s pretty laid back and casual with us, although don’t be surprised if he’s a bit mistrusting of you at first. It takes a while for him to get used to new ponies he meets.”


“That sounds like how I was a year or two ago.” Quicksilver stated.


“Then maybe he’ll warm up to you faster as you can relate.”


“Maybe, but that doesn’t explain why he’s pacing a circle into the floorboards.”


“Ah, that. Well… to be honest… we have no idea why he’s doing that. He’s been doing it nonstop since we got back, in case you didn’t notice.”


“Yeah, what’s he muttering about?”


“Dunno.”


A few more minutes went by, as the two silently watched DarkFury pace about. Without warning, he suddenly began shouting.


“I can’t take it anymore! I have to know! I need to see her now!”


Galloping at full speed, he rocketed out the door and took flight, nearly bumping into Snapdragon as she cursed heavily.


“Well well, it was about a mare. That’s surprising. I didn’t know he’d even met any.” Coaldust wryly chuckled.


DarkFury flew as fast as he could. He had to get to Luna’s tower, he had to know what had happened that night. He prayed to a higher power that he had not done what he thought he did, otherwise Luna’s life and his own would get very complicated very quickly.


He flew high in the sky through most of the clouds, to avoid the aerial sentry sweeps that he knew were occurring above and below him. The cold water of the clouds chilled him to the bone as the droplets clung to his fur, but he pressed on regardless. He was unsure how the guards would react to seeing him flying about, so he made it his business to avoid being spotted. After a short while, he broke through the clouds and found he was a short ways above Luna’s tower. DarkFury descended silently, gliding to the balcony below him.


As he landed, gusts of wind blew over his body, making his wet form shiver almost uncontrollably. Scarcely making a sound, his hooves met the stone balcony and he folded his wings.


“Princess?” He called out quietly.


No response.


Gulping, he decided to risk it. Stepping towards the curtains that separated the balcony from her room, DarkFury expected to pass through easily. Banging his head against a wall of some sort proved him wrong. He clutched his head and hissed from the pain, trying not to vocalize his discomfort.


Blindly groping with his hoof, he tried in vain to find the curtains and force them open, so that he might see the wall he hit. Upon reaching for the curtains, he found his hoof could not touch them. He could see the curtains clear as day, yet some invisible force-field prevented him from touching them. Growing angry, he wondered why in the world Luna would need a magical force-field protecting her balcony.


As he cursed and grumbled he noticed something odd about the force-field. In the center, there were two protrusions, two handles. What he was actually looking at was a set of glass doors. Balcony doors were traditionally solid wood, but it seemed that Luna transformed them into glass for her aesthetic pleasure. Face-hoofing for his own stupidity, he grabbed one of the handles and pulled. Nothing happened. Sighing, DarkFury tried pushing the door open. Still, it would not budge.


Legitimately confused, DarkFury stared at the doors stupified. They were not push doors, nor were they pull doors. What kind of doors where these things? Trying the other handle, DarkFury had no luck. Exasperated, DarkFury turned around and bucked the doors with his hind legs. Only after doing this, did he realize his mistake. Thankfully, the doors did not break, they didn’t even suffer a scratch. However, a loud thud was heard and he grew concerned. The doors had opened slightly, and since he had no other way to open them, he prepared to do it again.


As he shifted his weight onto his fore hooves again, he heard the sound of rapid hoofsteps and the sound of what he assumed were the doors opening.


“DarkFury!? What are you doing?” Luna demanded with a stern tone.


Hearing her voice was unexpected and it caused him to lose his balance. Collapsing into a heap, he tried to turn himself to address Luna.


“I-I-I-I w-w-was, I-I-I m-m-mean…” DarkFury started sputtering, wrapping his hooves around himself as the cold night wind blew against his wet fur once more.


“Oh my word!” Luna exclaimed, her tone changing into one of care upon seeing DarkFury’s pitiful state. “You look as if you’re absolutely frigid! Come inside, you may warm yourself here for a while.”


“B-b-b-but…” DarkFury tried to protest as Luna grasped him within her magic and carried him inside her room.


Sliding the doors shut behind them, Luna placed him down near her old fireplace as she lit it simultaneously. The yellow and orange flames cackled gleefully as Luna went to her bathroom. DarkFury sat in front of the fire, chastising himself for his failings with the sliding glass doors and trying to muster enough courage to ask Luna about what happened a couple of nights ago.


Soon enough, Luna returned carrying a towel in her magical aura. She draped it over DarkFury’s back as he sat there shivering. The towel was dark blue, almost the same hue as Luna herself, and it felt incredibly soft.


“T-t-thanks.” DarkFury said as he wrapped it tightly around him.


Luna wasted no time before launching an investigation as to why he was here.


“How did you get so wet? It’s dangerous to fly around so high with all this wind while wet, you could catch pneumonia. I highly doubt you flew through the waterfall below the castle before flying all the way up here.”


“I-I flew through t-the clouds.”


“The clouds? Why on earth would you do that?”


“I d-didn’t want to be seen. A-afraid of what the guards w-would do if they saw me so high up while alone.”


“DarkFury, you’re part of the Lunar Corps, I don’t think they would stop you. After all, you’re a soldier just like them.”


“I k-know. I didn’t want to take a c-chance though.”


Clucking her tongue, Luna simply shook her head. “You younglings never seem to learn. Always being stubborn, adamant, and overly cautious. But then again, traits like that ensure you survive. So, I assume there was a reason for your visit?”


“Yes. I had a question…”


“Oh?”


“Did… did we…”


“Did we what?” Luna asked. Her brow furrowed as a quizzical expression plastered itself upon her face.


“At the bar a couple nights ago… did we… you know…” DarkFury gulped. “Did we… do it?”


Luna looked shocked upon hearing this. Her mouth hung open slightly as she thought for a moment. Her face soon turned into a smile as she started laughing. DarkFury sat rigid, looking as if he was trying to pass a brick from the strain his expression was showing.


After a few seconds, Luna said, “That’s a good one sergeant! Hahaha!” She stopped laughing upon seeing his strained expression however. “Are you actually serious?”


“I am. After you… ah well… kissed me,” DarkFury said whilst blushing, “I can’t remember anything until we started romping around the castle. Please Luna, tell me what happened.”


“Nothing.”


“Huh? What do you mean?”


“Nothing. After I kissed you, that was it. We had a couple more drinks then we left after rousing Frostburn and Coaldust.”


DarkFury gave out a sigh of relief big enough to fill a hot-air balloon. “Oh, thank Faust for that. I was worried that I screwed up our lives.”


Luna looked saddened to the point she might start crying. “Are you saying that you wouldn’t want to bed me? That I’m too ugly to consider?” She finished with a sniffle.


DarkFury started panicking, hating the thought of what would happen to him if he made Luna cry. “What! No! You’re lovely! I think that any stallion who would pass up a relationship with you for anything would be a damned fool.”


“So… you’re saying you would want to bed me?”


“Uh… I… um… What I mean is…” DarkFury started turning red rapidly.


Luna shifted gears, becoming aggressive and seductive. “Mmm. Somepony is a naughty boy. I’ve seen your dreams, they’re just like all of the others’. Fantasizing about laying with one or even both of us princesses.”


DarkFury turned even redder, not wanting to admit he had dreamt about Luna.


“I can make all your dreams and fantasies reality” Luna cooed, advancing towards him. “All I would ask of you is to give me a foal.”


His jaw moved, but no sound came from it. Trying to back away from Luna’s advance, he became tangled in the towel around him and he landed on his back. Luna was above him now, and he could only gaze in terror at the seductive gleam shown by her.


Throwing his eyes shut, DarkFury called out, “P-princess, please! Do I need to even say how unprofessional this is right now!? I know I’m supposed to protect and serve you, but I don’t think this is what the oath of loyalty meant!”


A few moments of silence passed, before Luna broke it.


“Sergeant?” She spoke in a plain tone.


“Princess?” DarkFury replied, afraid.


“Open your eyes.”


Swallowing nervously, he slowly opened his eyes. As he did so, Luna darted forward and gave him a quick peck on his cheek. He began blushing profusely once more.


“Gotcha.” Luna said as she stepped away from him, letting him up.


DarkFury began hyperventilating as he propped himself up, taking large rapid breaths.


“Princess… please… don’t do that… ever again… I beg of you. Do you know... how afraid I was?”


“Absolutely terrified.” Luna confidently stated.


“Yes! I know you must need to find novel methods of entertainment but, isn’t that a bit too risque? You could get in trouble for that… and why do you keep kissing me!?”


“Isn’t it obvious? You’re so adorable when you start blushing and stuttering, besides, you like it.”


“ I do not!” He defiantly declared, still with a slight blush.


Luna merely rolled her eyes. “We’re friends aren’t we? Isn’t this something that friends do? Teasing each other?”


“They can, but usually not in such a straight-forward manner as that. When friends tease each other it usually isn’t sexual, unless they’re ‘friendlier’ than most friends are. While you’re my friend, you’re also my mentor and ruler. I can’t believe you’d drop all composure like that.”


Luna looked down, realizing he was right and feeling bad about her actions. “You’re right DarkFury, I’m sorry for my behavior. It was unprofessional and inappropriate of me to put you through such a thing. I apologize for abusing our friendship like that, I hope you can forgive me.”


“I do. It must still be a bit hard for you after being gone for so long, trying to adjust to everything new. As your friend, I’ll always be here for you.”


“Thank you, DarkFury, that means a lot to me.” An awkward silence fell upon the room, and Luna tried to change the topic. “Was there anything else you needed to discuss, or was that it?”


“I think that was it.”


“Alright, you should probably get back. Your friends are probably wondering where you went.”


“Yeah.”


“I’ll see you the night after next, for your instruction.”


DarkFury opened the sliding glass doors and hopped up on the railing of the balcony, preparing to launch himself off.


“Sergeant.” Luna called out.


“Yes, Princess?”


Luna started smiling. “Try not to fly through any clouds on the way back. If you do, I won’t be waiting down there with a fire and a towel for you.”


“Will do.” He said as he gave her a quick salute.


Returning his attention to the sky, DarkFury jumped off the railing. A few seconds later, Luna saw him climbing to the height of the tower as he soared away. She watched him until he disappeared from view, then closed the doors and curtains. Sighing, she decided to pass the remainder of her night reading.


Grabbing one of the hefty tomes from the library, she sat upon some pillows near the fire as she read. An annoying and malignant presence surfaced in Luna’s mind, drawing her attention to it. She was surprised it did not try to attack her, but rather it talked instead.


He doesn’t look half-bad. You really know how to pick them. He has strong wings too, a good flier.


“Oh, it’s you. Got out of my subconscious already?”


After sharing a mind with you for 1,000 years, you learn about most of the back doors.


“Hmpf.”


You’re not trying to shove me out yet? This is new.


“You’re also not trying to attack me, which is new in of itself”


Touche. You know… he wouldn’t have said no.


“What do you mean?”


You know exactly what I mean, unless you’re more dense than lead.


“I… I… wouldn’t have… I couldn’t have…”


You could’ve, and you would’ve. I saw your intentions as clear as day. You submitted to your lust and your selfish desires. You were willing to go through with it right then and there to satisfy both. There’s no sense in denying it. You only stopped yourself because you saw the terror in his eyes and how he said it was unprofessional.


“...”


I know what you’re thinking, and no, it’s not unnatural. You are a flawed being, just like any other pony. You have hopes, dreams, desires, and urges... just like anypony else. The only reason you are held up to such a high standard is that the simpletons you rule over put you on that pedestal. They think that just because you’re immortal and have god-like powers means that you’re a perfect being that they see as an ideal that they can never achieve themselves.


It’s sad really, it’s as if these pathetic mortals are trying to impose their hopes and ideas of perfection upon you. What’s worse is that you’re letting them. What happened to the old you? The you who didn’t care what others thought about her, or let the commoners dictate her actions?


“She turned into you. She was too arrogant and proud for her own good. She took offense that most creatures and the land used the night to rest, instead of accepting that it was how things were. She let bitterness and hatred consume her heart until she committed the most atrocious crime in the history of Equestria. That is why she isn’t back, and why she won’t come back.”


Well, this new you isn’t working either. Now, you’re too sensitive. You let their opinions hurt and sadden you when they shouldn’t. You need to find a happy median between being sensitive and being indifferent. You have not found it yet, but you better find it soon. Else, you will become nothing more than a doormat walked upon and manipulated by the populace at their leisure.


“You’re right, but I must ask… why are you helping me? You’ve never done such a thing before.”


Does there have to be a reason? It’s not like impending death can make somepony have a change of heart or anything. Nightmare Moon said as she faded away from Luna’s mind.


“Wait!” Luna called out.


It was no use, Nightmare Moon was gone. She had vanished into the deep recesses of Luna’s mind and no amount of searching could unearth her. Luna sat deep in thought, contemplating what Nightmare Moon had said, and what DarkFury’s friendship meant to her.


“I need to meditate.”

Author's Note:

You all thought I died, didn't you? Don't lie, just say it if you thought so.

Well, another chapter is here. Rejoice! Chapter 7 shouldn't take as long as this, provided that I stop procrastinating like the big dumb oaf I am. Anyway, I hope you guys got to know the cast a bit better and enjoyed this chapter.

Pre-reading was done by the amazing Auramane! Thank you very much good sir.

As always, thank you all for your continued patience and support. You guys rock!

-Nocturnal

*The character known as Quicksilver, is copyrighted to his creator, Colt in the Moon, and is used with permission.*