• Published 23rd Nov 2012
  • 760 Views, 4 Comments

Star Walk - Miles Traveler



A story about Twilight's adventure in pursuit of greater magic and it's effects on her life.

  • ...
 4
 760

Prelude

Starwalk Prelude: Thoughts

"There is the sun, it's might warms our hearts, gives light to our eyes, and lifts the spirits of the broke.

There is the moon, it's dreamy glow to rest weary eyes, it's gentle tug to guide us like the tides, it gives way to otherwise relentless shadow.

But then there are the stars, specks of hope, glittering like dreams, twinkling like the eyes of wonder.
Celestia is the sun, Luna the moon, am I?" The mulberry coated Unicorn asked herself aloud, all the while adjusting the lens of a rather obnoxiously sized telescope, nestled neatly on the library balcony. The library itself was a tree, although hollowed out to be built inside, it somehow still lived, possibly by some master craft or work of strange magic.

She allowed herself a rather deep yawn, though her wide eyed face made the event rather adorable. She was tired, but restless all the same, her mind in thoughts of magic. She wandered in thoughts of something she once had seen, a power not of raw destruction, but attempted understanding. It had been her as a filly, frightened by the thunderous shock of an explosion, she tapped into something deep within her, something deep in her that reached far out there, to the stars.

A violet spark jumped circles around her horn, soon joined by another, then a few dozen. Within the frame of a second the spire upon her head went from a dull mulberry matching her coat, to a shimmering sea of light. She could feel the power from within her soul well up like the warmth of a growing flame, tingling her every nerve from heart to horn. The magic itself made a soft hum, the power from understanding the world she lived in. It was immense this feeling, with more raw ability in that harmless little body than even her goddess of the sun had seen in any other Unicorn.

"Do I really deserve this?" She questioned, unsure if she was worthy of such responsibility, especially after repeated emotional and mental collapses. "Deserve or not, it is the blessing I have, I just hope I never let her down." She silently prayed, one familiar with her would think she was speaking of the motherly teacher and guide of her life, the white coated, chromatic maned mare who ruled their land. But she meant another, the one she loved, a beautiful sapphire coated mare who had a silver mane that flowed like the arms of the galaxy.

"What made that moment special?" She wondered, thinking back to the filly who somehow tapped what felt like infinity. "Normally it is merely a matter of conveying thought with power through the horn, linking yourself to the source of magic, which flows like many streams through the stars. From there allowing the manipulation of matter and energy on a quantum level, by way of the magic fields formed, allowing effect on the world around us, and the control, creation or destruction of the objects and entities which lay within it." She recalled from her years of study. "But that... It was something quite different, as if I became part of something, as if I was magic."

Twilight Sparkle realized how much time had passed, morning was only a matter of minutes away, and she had not taken so much as a wink of sleep. However her plagued thoughts were to much, and she decided it was no use bothering with sleep at this point. What brought this all on to begin with was a discussion with Rarity Belle the previous day, the topic had been Twilight’s magic, she was so methodical and scientific about it. While Twilight’s raw energy was of such great magnitude, and her knowledge of spells more extensive than any Unicorn since Starswirl the Bearded, she completely lacked artistic beauty in it. Unlike Rarity who controlled her fashion magic as well as telekinesis through feeling, studious young mage had always thought through the entire actions of everything leaving no room for emotion, only cold calculation. She gained from this the ability to learn spells at a glance, but if she truly wanted to move beyond and revisit that wondrous feeling of pure magic again, she would either have to think on such a high level that she could calculate the very processes of the Universe, or let it all go and just feel the flow around her.

“I cannot just let the numbers slip, and the calculations run free though.” She argued as she rose slowly to her hooves, stretching lightly from a long night sitting in the same position. After a another deep yawn, probably the tenth of the night, she rubbed her tired eyes and turned to the balcony door. With a casual stride she trotted inside, met by a darkened room still in a mess of books left from afternoon studies. “The second magic is allowed complete freedom it becomes dangerous, obviously that is why I could not control myself. I turned my own parents into houseplants, permanently if Celestia had not intervened.” Her words said with frustration, she made her way to the small kitchen in the back of the library. It had a small sink under a window, counter space on either side. Opposite to it was the stove, and on it’s right the fridge, on it’s left more counter.

A slight illumination of the horn and two cabinets and a drawer opened, the drawer by the stove contained the silverware, in here her magic found a spoon and levitated it over to her. Out of a cabinet hanging high to the left of the sink, a cup floated to her and the spoon nestled inside. “Still, the things it let me see, hear, smell taste and feel. Being at one with the power of magic, there was no greater feeling.” Letting go a light sigh as in the third cabinet a paper package labeled ‘Hot Chocolate Mix’ cut cleanly along the tear line, her magic of course filling the place of hoof and mouth work. As the powder from the package pour in the cup, her mind wandered into the small plume of coco dust coming off of it.

When she was not studying or distracted by the musings of ponies daily trifles, her mind would view everything from the stars to the simple household item as a wonder of the Universe, because she truly understood the complexity and possibilities everything contained. Those little specks of dust were made of molecules, those of atoms, which contained elementary particles, beyond that was the quantum fabric of the world, the very thing her magic worked in. At the surface the world looks harmonious to the average pony, Equestria such a peaceful land, but even Celestia herself was at the core made up of chaotic chances, an odd irony is that even the elements of harmony fell under the control of the odds.

The line of thought suddenly halted, all seemed rather average and normal again, she had exited her deep focus and now was merely filling the rest of the cup with water. But a different feeling set in, a lazy morning peace. She could feel the warm rays of Celestia’s sun entering the window over the sink, very welcoming to the new day after a chilly night of stargazing. Her horn again powered up, this time it pulled in some of that light and warmth, this caused her magic to turn orange like that of the rising sun. She then focused her magic onto the bottom of the mug, after a moment the water steamed and bubbled lightly, the spoon began swirling little circles to mix the water and powder together. The comforting smell of the coco quickly overtook her, and her weary expression gained a lively smile, it was like being wrapped in a warm blanket. A small sip was all that was needed to bring her to a more full and cheerful state, the tasty mix washing over her tongue and reaching her core where it brought a cozy feeling to her entire body. A new day had begun, and her thoughts of high magic would have to wait until after she made the daily checklist.

Lightly sipping her coco, Twilight Sparkle was preparing for the day. Combing her mane into it’s usual straight styling with the mane iron pressing it flat, all while her magic controlled a quill scribbling the days task onto a long scroll. She glanced over to the bed, still laying in it sound asleep was a certain blue coated show pony. She felt bad that she never made it to bed, a certain cold feeling of regret took her heart, and would probably hold it for the entirety of the day. Twilight was this way, a small frustration or mess up would never let her mind rest until corrected, over corrected, then set straight again. All the same she set the mane iron aside and trotted to the bed, sliding onto it’s soft surface she almost felt the longing to remain there, a long night would feel much better with some rest. Trixie would most likely not wake until noon, but Twilight moved to her side anyway, as she wrapped a hoof around her and snuggled against her coat to coat. A light kiss to the cheek was suppose to be a parting kiss, as Twilight had so many things to get done. However this time her strict nature melted as her lips met the soft sapphire cheek, it’s comfort truly ending the night. Within a second she found herself thoughtlessly defying her nature and slipping the blanket over herself, wrapping her cold body around the warmth of her beloved and beautiful mare, who reacted with a slight moan at the chill but then a peaceful yet sleepy smile as she secured her tired little ‘Bookworm’ against her. Within moments Twilight ended up drifting into off sleep.

End Prelude.

Comments ( 4 )

Once approved I welcome critics, however I do not welcome ragers and flamers or trolls either. Helpful suggestions, complements and corrections I will read. "OMG you n00b yu grammar is fail" or "You is teh bad writer because I know like teh shipping yo did thar" I will skip. Aside from that enjoy ^_^

Watch, favorite, and like. Your day can not break anymore Miles. I simply can not wait to see the next chapter. ~Rarity

Thank you Rarity *Hugs Tightly* I will get to reading yours right after dealing with some CSS issues and lunch x3

1668718 *hugs tightly back* You are welcome my dear. And take all the time you need my dear.

Login or register to comment