• Published 23rd Nov 2012
  • 1,412 Views, 33 Comments

Silent Past - Speedy



Sccootaloo starts to see everything turn into a nightmare around her

  • ...
1
 33
 1,412

Chapter 1: The orphan

Silent Past

Today was a special day for Scootaloo, it was her birthday. She was turning nine and her birthday wish was to be adopted today. Yes Scootaloo is an orphan, but she tries her best to hide it from everypony. The only ponies that knew of her secret were her PFF’s, Applebloom and Sweetiebelle, and her teacher Cheerilee.

Scootaloo was nervous, she saw many foals get adopted over the past few months and even though that made her happy for them, she remained in the orphanage constantly meeting new orphans and saying goodbye to the old. She hated where she lived and she just wanted out. She wanted a home, a mother and father or at least just one. And since this was her birthday her hopes were unusually high, maybe too high...

"Now little foals, remember if you don't get adopted today there's always next time." the Orphanage owner, Sugar Snap, said.

Scootaloo followed the other foals into the meeting room. This was her least favorite part, the adoptive couples would usually show interest in her, before crushing her dreams by choosing another. With so few foals up for adoption today, Scootaloo hoped she could impress a family enough for them to adopt her. Sitting in her normal spot, she waited. It was her birthday, she just had to get adopted.


As the hour passed Scootaloo finally finished her chat with a couple families and was sent back to her seat. Normally every foal got a chance to talk with at least a few families, after a little bit of waiting for the families decide who to take home, the foals chosen are called and meet their new family. But if you're not chosen by anyone then you're just left sitting, until Everyone has deserted the remaining foal. Scootaloo hoped to avoid this for once.

Scootaloo was getting nervous as there were just one family left, and there was only her and another foal left. They both knew only one would get adopted, as they sat nervously glancing at each other. Finally the orphanage owner walking away from the family and towards them, this was it, last chance. They both crossed their hooves and wished and hoped very hard.

"Our last family had made their decision." he said, Scootaloo wished as hard as she could, wishing they chose her.

"They chose to adopt..." Scootaloo was ready to jump up, she just knew it has to be her.

"Archer."

Both Scootaloo and Archer's heads shot up, Archer smiled happily and jumped down and ran towards the family, hugging them. "Wait wha..?" Scootaloo asked, still getting over the shock.

"I'm sorry Scootaloo, but you won't be adopted today. Maybe next month." he told her trying to be comforting, but Scootaloo's eyes just watered up.

"Just forget it!" Scootaloo said to him as she jumped off her seat and started to walk away.

"Now Scootaloo, there's always next time.".

"You always say that." Scootaloo yelled, as he followed her out of the meeting room. "but I’ve been here longer than anyone else.”

“When will it be my time to get adopted?When!?"Scootaloo said, finally breaking down and sobbing into his chest.

Placing a foreleg around the emotional filly, Sugar Snap slowly rocked her back and forth as she cried.

"Please calm down Scootaloo, just because you didn't get adopted this time doesn't
mean..."

"But it was my birthday! My birthday wish...why does nopony want me. I...I try to be so nice and, and cheerful bu...but they simply act like I’m invisible every time." Scootaloo said, looking up at the elderly stallion

“I’m sure that’s not true Scootaloo. You are a very special filly and don’t you ever forget that.” he said to her, wiping a tear from her muzzle. “Forget about all this for now. Two fillies dropped this note off today for a certain special, birthday-filly.”

Ears perking up, Scootaloo looked as a small smile crept on the old stallion’s face, like he had shared a delightful secret. Feeling excited she quickly looked over the note before retrieving her helmet from a peg,and giving Sugar Snap a hug before rushing out the door. So lost in her excitement she barrelled into somepony just outside the doorway.

"Ow!" She cried a bit, she looked up to see a stallion wearing a brownest jacket and hat. Like a old detective.

"Please forgive me... seems like you're in a hurry?" the stallion asked.

"I’ve got someplace to be." Scootaloo replied, while getting up and dusting herself off. "Excuse me sir." Scootaloo told the stallion.

Before he could ask another question, Scootaloo grabbed her scooter from beside the doorway
and took off. Standing outside the open doorway, the stallion watched as the excited filly zoomed off into the distance.

"Oh, are you the one that sent the letter?" Sugar Snap asked, as the stallion slowly nodded


Zooming along on her scooter, Scootaloo headed over to Sugarcube Corner. After such a disappointing morning she could really use the support of her friends. As she neared the bakery the lights inside started to flicker before shutting off completely. Playing along Scootaloo parked her scooter outside of the bakery doors. As she neared the door she made out the sound of giggling fillies and somepony making lip noises.

“Anypony home. I found this note at home saying to meet-up at Sugarcube Corner.” Scootalo said trying to act confused as she opened the door.

“SURPRISE!” Applebloom, Sweetiebelle, Cheerilee and Rainbow Dash yelled as the lights turned on.

“Surprise!” Pinkie Pie shouted as she jumped out of hiding “Shoot, missed it by that much.”

“Wow. Thanks everypony.” Scootaloo exclaimed as she looked at all the colorful party decorations and games.

“Enough talking time to par-tah!” Pinkie Pie said as musicstarted to play and confetti rained down from party poppers.

It didn’t take long for Scootaloo to forget her troubles and join her friends in one of her best birthday parties ever. Her and Applebloom bobbed for apples, Sweetiebelle and Cheerilee danced to the music, and Dash helped Pinkie organize the presents. The fun made the time pass quickly as the sun started to descend.

“Scootaloo time to blow out the candles on your cake” Pinkie pie called from upstairs.

“A real cake. This definitely is the best party ever... If only I’d been adopted as well” Scootaloo whispered as a dark shadow passed through her thoughts.

With the sound of tinkling glass, Scootaloo’s surroundings suddenly started to take on a frightening appearance as the wallpaper slowly began to rot and fall away. The sight of it brought forth a primal fear in her as she backed towards the stairwell

“Hurry Scootaloo the candles are melting all over the place.” Sweetiebelle’s voice called from upstairs.
Rushing up the stairs in a panic, she nearly tripped over herself when she looked back at the trailing rot.

“Do any of you see that ro...” Scootaloo's voice disappeared at the macabre sight that greeted her. Her cake, was made from the Cakes and all of her friends were messily eating chunks they had torn from the bodies.

“Come join us Scootaloo. Applebloom and Sweetibelle helped Pinkie ice this beautiful cake for your party.” Cheerilee said wiping a spot of blood from her muzzle with a napkin.

Scootaloo didn’t know what to say, what to do. Her idol, Rainbow Dash, bore stitches running down her stomach, Pinkie was happily cutting off various parts of the bodies and the three ponies she trusted most in Equestria were eating the Cakes.

“Not this... anything but this.” Scootaloo choked out as she felt her way back to the stairs.

“That’s a bit rude, looking down on the effort your friend’s made to make you a birthday cake.” Rainbow dash said as the stitches on her stomach started to pop open.

Scootaloo couldn’t take it anymore, she bolted. Using all of her adrenaline fueled strength she rushed down the rotting staircase and forced the front door open. Grabbing her scooter she zoomed off faster than ever. She headed back to the only place she could think of, the orphanage.

“This is just a dream, there’s no way any of this is possible. I just need to go back. Yeah! I must have fallen asleep in the meeting room again.” Scootaloo said before being sent flying, as a upraised stone stopped her scooter.