• Published 22nd Nov 2012
  • 1,675 Views, 43 Comments

Derpy Delivers a Pizza - DouglasTrotter

  • ...
3
 43
 1,675

Chapter 2

“O so gooey, cheesy and chewy. Deep dish, deep dish… “The pony merrily hummed to herself, singing a few verses under a quiet breath. She flew towards Canterlot, and closed her eyes to imagine those magnificent prizes for her hard work. Three if she counted her current pizza on the house. It would take thirty minutes to get to Canterlot Castle, luck prevailing. Yet the mail mare maintained her happy attitude, humming the melody she created as she continued her journey. “O so gooey and perfectly right, nothing better for a cold bitter night. Deep dish, deep dish.... “

With her eyes closed, the grey pony plowed through several clouds, letting out a quick sneeze. The cold weather never really agreed with her, only a few days passing since Nightmare Night. Derpy remembered she had packed a scarf, and landed on a nearby, undamaged, cloud. However, as the pony opened her saddlebag’s left pocket she found the scarf inside to be her thinnest one. It was only useful for early fall weather.

A chill wind blew across the mail mare’s light hued mane while she sat on top of the cloud, shivering. She held her hooves close to her mouth, repeatedly blowing hot breaths onto them. Thankfully, the pony found a thicker scarf inside the other pocket of her saddle back. Tenderly, and carefully, wrapped around a small letter.

“Thought it might get a bit chilly today and packed your thick scarf. Stay safe and warm. Love Dinky”

Derpy gave a slow, gentle smile towards the red scarf, her favorite scarf. She always liked the three snowflake shaped tassels on the end. The glitter, imbedded into the white fibers of the tassels, shined in the beautiful light of the full moon. It was urgent to deliver the dessert pizza as quickly as possible. But the dutiful mare couldn’t help marveling at the night sky, and the moon. She leaned back, putting her front hooves behind her.

“It really is a beautiful night. Maybe I should bring Dinky along next time. She always has fun watching the sunset from the clouds -- Huh? What the hay? Where’s the pizza box!”

The grey pony looked over the side of the cloud to see the pizza box rapidly falling to the ground; its white cover only visible due to the full moon’s light. A horrible image of the beautiful pie smashing on the hard ground bellow entered Derpy’s mind. Her happy thoughts of getting a free week’s worth of pizza rapidly dissipating faster than a pegasus pony destroying a cloud.

Derpy leaned back even further and calmly stretched out her hooves over her head, diving off the cloud. Each exercise had been expertly drilled into her from flight camp. The grey pegasus swiftly flew towards the pizza box, grabbing it before gracefully pulling out of the well executed maneuver.

“Why do these boxes always fall through clouds? I thought they would have made a cloud proof one by now. We have the magic. I saw those two earth ponies and that unicorn walking around in Cloudsdale that one time,” the pony grumbled to herself. Her pounding heart calmed as she opened the box, its contents safe. A familiar voice broke the calm silence of the night, interrupting the pony's train of thought.

“You know, if you collapse your wings another half inch or so in that power dive you can get more speed and stability."

The mail mare looked up to see Ponyville’s premier flyer following her.

“Heya Derpy.” Rainbow Dash said while she relaxed on her back, calmly flying above the grey pony. The sky blue pegasus turned around, ready to ask a question but quickly answered it herself after spotting Mr. Calzone’s Pizza Perfection insignia, stamped in red, on the box’s white cover.

“You gonna share some of that with me? I could use a late night snack.” The athletic pegasus grinned, causing the mail mare to suddenly stop and secure the pizza box. Derpy calmly floated in place as she promptly held out her hoof. She recited the oath of the delivery pony to Rainbow Dash, ending her speech by saying the pizza needed to be delivered “to Princess Celestia in Canterlot,” urgently and untouched.

“Hey Derpy, I got it. My friend Twilight has a great assistant that could get your pizza to Princess Celestia in ten seconds flat.” The sky blue pony reassuring her friend this idea would work. Derpy raised an eyebrow at the pegasus, remembering her tricks from flight camp. “Dash, come on. I know there’s no way a pizza can be delivered that quickly. Even at top speed it takes you nearly ten minutes to reach the gates of Canterlot Castle. It is my duty to deliver this pizza. I certainly won’t trust a unicorn to teleport this thing either. That incident in Ponyville with the unicorn and that banana… “

“Whoa! We promised never to speak of that again.” Rainbow Dash said, quickly interrupting the grey pegasus. “My friend said she was sorry for teaching a teleportation spell like that to another unicorn who hadn’t properly trained in magic. Anyways, this is completely different. I promise you. Better yet, I double Pinkie Pie promise you it is completely different.”

The mail mare slowly descended to the ground, carefully placing the pizza on a nearby rock. She listened to her sky blue pegasus friend as the mare detailed her accounts of seeing Spike, the faithful “dragon” assistant of Twilight Sparkle, sending letters to Celestia. It would be a cinch to send the dessert pizza this way, probably safer.

“It’s really simple. The little guy belches on a letter, and then ‘poof,’ the scroll is on its way. Spike’s trick is pretty nifty if you ask me. It should get that pizza there faster than by hoof. Though he does set the scroll on fire…”

Derpy’s eyes widened as she heard the word “fire," quickly imagining a dragon turning the dessert pizza to ash. She darted for the pizza box, secured it for travel, and wrapped her favorite scarf around her neck.

“NO! YOU’RE NOT DESTROYING MY CHANCE AT A WEEK’S WORTH OF FREE PIZZA!” the pony exclaimed, dashing into the night sky with her words echoing behind her.

Rainbow Dash fell onto the ground, laughing as her hooves twitched in the air. She could barely imagine the sight of the poor mail mare’s face if Spike actually tried to teleport the pizza to Celestia. However, the athletic pony realized that Derpy, at her current speed, might beat the record she held for traveling to Canterlot.

“Guess I’ll just have to set a new one later on.” Rainbow Dash happily smiled. The sky blue pegasus saw her mail mare friend vanish from sight, on a direct course for Canterlot. “Good luck to you Derpy Hooves. You’ll make it in time. I know it.”