• Published 22nd Nov 2012
  • 6,278 Views, 138 Comments

End of her days - Berry Punch



Rainbow Dash took Scootaloo flying, but there was an accident. Now Scootaloo is in hospital dying...

  • ...
17
 138
 6,278

Why me?

Why me?

The lights blurred past as Rainbow Dash sped down the corridors of the Hospital, she took a sharp right turn and bashed through the doors of the Emergency Room. 'I have to find her' she thought to herself, 'she will be fine' Rainbow Dash sped to the receptionist desk looking frantically at the mare behind it on the phone.

"Please, you have to tell me what room Scootaloo is in!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed as she thumped her hoof on the counter top impatiently.

The mare pointed a hoof at the adjacent hallway "Down there third door to your right." The mare replied calmly and returned to her conversation on the phone.

Rainbow Dash didn't stop to think, she sped down the hallway frantically looking for the door. She spotted the door and flew straight through, looking around when she entered with a look of pure guilt and fear, she spotted the bed at the corner of the room and sat down on a conveniently placed stool by Scootaloo's bed.

"Oh, Scootaloo..." Rainbow Dash sobbed into the bed "What have I done to you?" she cried. She sat in silence with only the sound of the heart monitor and her own quiet sobbing. "Why... Why did I push you harder than I needed." she looked at the peaceful sleeping filly lying in the bed.

Rainbow Dash looked back on the events that occurred earlier that same day.

________________________________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash soared into the air with the small filly following slower in suit "Haha, C'mon slow coach!" Rainbow Dash shouted jokingly at Scootaloo who was trying her best to keep up.

Scootaloo broke her concentration to laugh in delight "Haha, I will get you one day Dash!" she shouted up to Rainbow Dash who had slowed down to let the little filly get closer to her.

Rainbow Dash smirked "Hmph!" she smiled with pride "Sure you will!" she said sarcastically with with a wink "C'mon I have an idea follow me to that dark cloud over there!" She shouted over the raging winds that were beginning to seep in.

Scootaloo looked up worried, worried that she wouldn't be able to last these winds "Ok, Dash! I'm coming!" she said with fake confidence "Only for you Dash." she whispered to herself.

Rainbow Dash swooped up to the cloud and landed with ease "What's taking you so long squirt?" She laughed out and looked over the edge of the cloud to see Scootaloo struggling her way up to reach her.

________________________________________________________________________________

"If only I didn't try make you do something I knew you couldn't do." she cried softly "I just wanted to push you, to make you better. I wanted you to succeed me when you get older!" she exclaimed.

Rainbow Dash sat in silence for what seemed like hours, no maybe even days. She hated sitting in one place for so long. But for Scootaloo? She would give up flying forever for that sweet young filly.

Later the Doctor came in with some test results for Scootaloo's condition. Rainbow Dash's ears perked up at the thought of more news on her condition she flew off her stool so quickly it knocked over and she rushed for the Doctor to get some information.

"Pl...Please. Please tell me there is good news!" Rainbow Dash pleaded him, looking up at him with tears running down her cheeks.

The Doctor sighed and asked Rainbow Dash to have a seat "Look, I know how this must feel for you. But that fall was bad, critical even. Her wings are not made for flying at such altitudes never mind in such weather conditions." As the Doctor continued he noticed Rainbow Dash tearing up even more "Please Rainbow Dash don't blame yourself for this. You didn't know."

Rainbow Dash let out a sob and the Doctor gave her a small but comforting hug "Th...Thanks Doc." She looked up to him with a small sad smile "Just, please come to me when there is any more information." She looked at him with pleading eyes.

The Doctor gave a small nod "Of course Rainbow Dash, you are the only pony even close to family for her." he gave her another sympathetic smile and he left the room to continue his tests.

________________________________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash watched as Scootaloo struggled against the winds as she made her way up to the cloud "C'mon Scoots hang in there!" She shouted down to her.

Scootaloo scrunched her face in concentration "Just a little more to go!" she told her self as she neared the edge of the cloud, to safety.

Rainbow Dash grinned as Scootaloo reached the edge of the cloud but suddenly a strong wind hit her and knocked her balance. Rainbow Dash panicked and looked over the edge of her safe cloud and saw the entire thing.

As the strong wind hit, it knocked Scootaloo's flight pattern and her wings locked up, Scootaloo managed to get to the edge of the clouds safety only to have her fall to her death.

Rainbow Dash screamed "NO!" and she dashed off the cloud to catch Scootaloo, she watched as she bounced off a rock sticking out of a nearby cliff and fall for the ground. She caught Scootaloo just before she hit the ground ordering the killing blow.

Scootaloo looked up to Rainbow Dash and gave a small smile "I... Tried." she then slipped into unconsciousness.

Panicked, Rainbow Dash screamed for help "HELP ME!" No answer. There was only one thing for her to do, she bolted off the ground with Scootaloo in her forelegs and created the first Sonic Rainboom in recorded history to occur from a take off. But Rainbow Dash didn't care, no. She soared through the sky faster than she has ever flown before.

In her arms was the only one Rainbow Dash truly ever loved, her sister, she thought of her as. not her apprentice. Not her friend. Her sister, her small sister who was now dying in her fore legs and it was all her fault.

________________________________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash had sat in silence by Scootaloo's bed, with only the occasional sob from herself or a nurse coming in to check the monitors.

Rainbow Dash hated herself for what she has done to the small filly dying on that bed. But she knew she would pull through, she just knew it. Nothing bad ever happens to her, she would pull through.

But these thoughts melted to tears as she watched the young filly, broken and bloodied lying in the Hospital bed "Please Scoots, please wake up." she sobbed and kissed the young fillies head.

Rainbow Dash fell into a light sleep leaning over the edge of the bed.

Some hours later there was a sound of panic and rushing, the Heartbeat monitor was beeping so fast it was unreal.
Rainbow Dash panicked and her eyes darted down to the still sleeping filly " PLEASE!" she shouted "Please wake up!" she exclaimed panicking and staring at the monitor.

The monitor went flatline. Rainbow Dash broke down in tears "NOOOO! HELP HER!" she pleaded crying her eyes out. She looked at her little sister and sobbed hugging the frail, dead body.

Rainbow Dash was pushed out of the room by some nurses, so the doctors could try revive her.

________________________________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash burst through the Hospital doors at high speed and screamed for help "HELP ME!" doctors and nurses came running in her direction. They saw Scootaloo and took her away instantly.

The nurses told Rainbow Dash to wait in the waiting area for her to be called. "But." She began to object but didn't want to make a scene which was unlike her in every way. But she complied and went and sat in the waiting area to gather her thoughts

"I did this." she whispered to herself "I got my little Scoots hurt." she sobbed silently and waited for her to be called.

About three hours later Rainbow Dash was called. The nurse told her she could go visit Scootaloo now, but she was still unconscious and was in a critical condition. Rainbow Dash jumped off her seat and zoomed through the hallways to get to her. To Scootaloo. To her sister!

________________________________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash sat for about an hour crying non-stop in the waiting room of the Hospital when a nurse walked in. The nurse walked over to where Rainbow Dash was sitting. There was a sad, sullen look on the nurses face. It was enough to tell her that she hadn't made it. She didn't need the nurse to tell her.

Rainbow Dash stopped crying and sighed, she cried softly into her hooves as the nurse trotted over to comfort her. She shrugged the mare off of her and spoke in a shaky voice "W...Where? Where is she?"

The nurse gave a slow, sad sigh "She is back in her normal room, she is being held on life support... But we will have to take her off from it. It's too late, I am so sorry." The nurse's eyes began to water at the distressed state Rainbow Dash was in.

Rainbow Dash slowly turned to walk down the corridor to the room Scootaloo was previously held in. She passed many nurses and doctors who had been trying to save Scootaloo, they all had defeated, angry and sad looks upon their faces.

As Rainbow Dash neared the room she chocked back a sob as she entered to see the little filly 'sleeping' peacefully there on the hospital bed. She struggled forward towards the edge of the bed, as if she was trudging through a swamp. She didn't want to get any closer, she didn't want to believe her little Scoots was gone.

As she reached the edge of the hospital bed Rainbow Dash collapsed into a sitting position. She leaned over to Scootaloo's fragile frame and kissed her forehead. Rainbow Dash broke into soft sobs into the edge of the bed. It's all my fault, Scoots. she thought to herself.

Rainbow Dash sat alone for hours on end, just sitting there sobbing into the bed with her hooves wrapped around Scootaloo. She needed this time alone with Scootaloo, she needed to use this time to apologies to the now deceased filly. She had gotten Scootaloo killed, it was her fault, she would tell herself.

After a while Rainbow Dash's friends, the other five elements came to see the young filly, along with the last two of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. The five mares came to give their respect to the young filly, but to also try and comfort Rainbow Dash.

"Please, leave me alone..." she sobbed, talking to her five friends. She needed this time to mourn, she needed to collect her thoughts and accept what has happened. Rainbow Dash didn't need nor want her friends comfort at the moment. All she wanted was to be left alone to collect her thoughts.

"You okay Dashie?" Pinkie Pie asked, her mane was straight. For this was no day for a party. Pinkie Pie crept closer to Rainbow Dash, who was still crouched over the small filly.

Rainbow Dash growled "I said LEAVE ME ALONE!" she shouted enraged, she didn't need this. She wanted to be alone , why didn't they understand that?

Pinkie Pie recoiled and tears came to her eyes, Applejack put a hoof round her back and shushed her, calmed her down. "It's aight sugarcube, Rainbow's jus' upset is all." she whispered quietly into Pinkie's ear to calm the mare.

Pinkie Pie nodded with a sniff. Twilight coughed to get attention from Rainbow Dash, "Rainbow? Are... Are you okay?" Dumb question Twilight... she immediately thought to herself. Rainbow snapped her head around, fury in her eyes. Twilight took a step back in fear of a possible outburst.

Rainbow Dash was furious, her 'friends' wouldn't leave her be to mourn the death of the small filly which lay in front of her. She breathed out, frustrated "Just... Just leave me alone OKAY!?" she fumed, "I need time alone, I need to be alone with her." Rainbow Dash gestured to the small limp, lifeless filly which lay before them.

Fluttershy creeped forward slightly to speek up in her timid voice, barely above that of a whisper "umm... I think maybe you... You should let us, help?" she curled into a ball in fear of Rainbow Dash lashing out.

Rainbow Dash finally snapped, she stopped crying and let out a scream of rage, grief, stress and betrayal. Her 'friends' were not giving her, her space. She needed to be left alone, why couldn't they understand that?

Beside Rainbow Dash Sweetie Belle and Applebloom were crying hysterically, both for the loss of their great friend and fellow crusader, but also in fear of and sympathy for Rainbow Dash, who was clearly killing herself inside, shouting at her friends who were nothing but kind and caring towards her, and for the loss of Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash was frustrated, scared, sad and unsure of what to do. She just stormed past her friends and flew out of the hospital as fast as she could, she needed to be away for a while. She soared through the air, looking for a place to mourn over Scootaloo's death in peace.

From the air she saw Sweet Apple Acres and more importantly she saw that small tree house in which Scootaloo and the other CMC planned out their crazy crusades for their Cutie Marks. She drifted down through the air to reach the enttance of the small clubhouse.

She looked through the window, tears filling her eyes and with a sad sigh she pushed through the entrance of the wooden hut. She looked around, sadly she saw drawings by Scootaloo, her beloved scooter, helmet and her CMC cape. Rainbow Dash grabbed the small cape and sobbed silently into it.

She needed this alone time, she needed to get over this by herself. After sitting for an hour crying into the small cape there was a distinctive 'pop' sound just outside the clubhouse, Rainbow Dash's eye twitched. Anger boiled inside her, Twilight had come to 'comfort' her.

The only comfort She needed was to be alone for a while, "UGH!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed, "I TOLD YOU! I NEED TO BE ALONE!" She screamed, turning towards the door of the clubhouse, surprise, surprise there stood Twilight Sparkle the apprentice of the Princess.

"Look Rainbow, we want to help you!" Twilight tried reasoning with the hysteric mare. Intimidated Twilight took a small step back, she had never seen Rainbow Dash this angry before. After staring at the angered mare for a few minutes there was the distinctive sound of her friends nearing the clubhouse.

Rainbow Dash's eye twitched, anger boiled within her, first Twilight had to come and interrupt her in her time of grief and now the others were audibly close to the clubhouse, obviously coming to try comfort her.

"Darlings, are you up there!?" Rarity shouted up, Twilight kept herself faced towards Rainbow Dash but turned her head to call out the door.

"Y...Yes, we're here..." Twilight gulped looking at Rainbow Dash, she was scared, she noticed her eye was twitching uncontrollably. "Rainbow ar... are you o" she was interrupted by a sudden outburst.

"RAAAAAAAAH!!!" Rainbow Dash screamed, she went to dash for the door to escape her friends. Twilight instinctively reached out with her magic to grab onto Rainbow Dash's tail.

"We only want to help you!" she steamed, holding Rainbow dash in her magical aura.

"NO!" Rainbow Dash screamed "I don't WANT your 'HELP'!" she struggled more against Twilight's magical grip, "If you want to help me. LET ME GO!" she boomed in a loud voice.

"No Rainbow Dash, we don't want you to hurt yourself, that is why you need you to let us help!" Twilight tried to reason with her. Rainbow Dash struggled more, but she spun around and smacked a hoof across Twilight's face.

Rainbow Dash flew up as fast as she could, she needed to get away, she needed to be with Scootaloo. There was only one way to be with her Scoots though, but was she that selfish? Would she end her own life, just to be with her? Scootaloo is probably alone and afraid where ever she is, and she needed somepony to be there for her, to be with her.

Rainbow Dash continued flying for another few minutes, till she found a lone cloud to sit on. She needed to decide what to do. Cause an act of selfishness and end her own life to be with Scootaloo? Or stay there for her friends. She had to go over this on her own for a while, perhaps a few days just to go over her thoughts.

As she sat to seriously consider her actions, in the distance a small yellow and pink blob closed in to her location on the cloud. Twilight had sent Fluttershy to try coax Rainbow Dash to come down to let her friends help her in her time of need, and it was no way to do it by sitting around on her own.

Fluttershy neared the edge of the cloud now, scared, she timidly tip-hooved her way over to Rainbow Dash sitting looking out in the opposite direction. Slowly she raised a hoof to touch Rainbow Dash's shoulder. As she did she whispered in a small voice "um, Rainbow..."

Rainbow Dash felt the hoof make contact with her shoulder, this was the final straw. Rainbow Dash finally snapped. She didn't say a word, she didn't turn around and she had finally stopped crying. Empty of any emotion Rainbow dash stood up and took off into the sky at sonic speed.

She flew straight through the air as high as she could, her friends wouldn't leave her be to mourn over Scootaloo and think over her decision whether to end her life or stay with her friends. They had obviously made her mind up for her.

Rainbow Dash reached the peek of how high her wings would take her, at this height pegasi wings would lock up and make it hard for them to regain their composure, Rainbow Dash knew this, it had happened to her many times during her daring stunts.

But this time she wasn't going to try regain balance. Her wings locked up. She fell and fell and fell.

"I'm coming for you Scoots." She whispered as a single tear left her eye.