• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 704 Views, 35 Comments

My Special Rose - Yellow_Quiet



Trailing Ivy's life mostly consisted of waking up, eating, tending to his garden, sleeping and occasionally venturing for food. It was only when he discovered a special rose of his own that he brought variety back into his garden.

  • ...
0
 35
 704

Chapter 3

Reading a book. Really, it was quite simple. You sit down, look at the words, imagine the setting, and let your imagination do the rest.
For the tenth time, Ivy snapped the book closed, glaring at the television, which stared blankly back at him.
“If inanimate objects could laugh, I'd be telling you to shut it...”
He sighed, finally giving up the battle and let the book enjoy a bit of respite from its violent openings and closings.
Ugh.
Ivy massaged his temples with his hooves, not understanding why his brain refused to dwell on a specific topic, and a specific few seconds.
A hug.
A simple hug.
He wasn't one of those touchy-feely ponies, and appreciated his personal space (unlike a certain pink terror that lived in the town...)
Yet that simple gesture of affection from Rose had set into motion a tumult of feelings that he still didn't understand.
Even the thought of just spending TIME with her was enough to kick his heart into overdrive. That blasted warm feeling that seemed to emanate from somewhere around his heart started to spread. Finally, his mind admitted defeat.
He had fallen head-over-hooves for this mare, no question about it. The question, at this point, was what he was going to DO about it.
Ivy got up, and out of reflex began to pace back and forth. He wasn't the most socially adept of ponies, hence why he enjoyed the company of his plants.
Unfortunately, this meant he had NO idea what to do when there was a mare he was crazy about.
He looked over to a few vines of ivy that grew along one of the windows, wishing his knowledge of horiculture could help him. What did one do to a plant? First you dug a hole for it...
Ok. Not helpful.
Water it?
Also not helpful.
…..
Made sure it was cared for.
Possibility...
Spend time with it?
Getting there....
Go visit Rose!
Bingo!
Quite satisfied with his train of thought, Ivy turned-
WHACK
He rubbed his forehead with a hoof, glaring at the protruding corner of his house. His pacing had taken him right next to the nearest wall, and protruding support beam.
With his forehead, and what little ego he had still smarting from the blow, he made his way out the door, wondering where Rose would be at this hour.
His ear twitched as he heard a noise from next door, and he glanced over-
Oh.
Settled on a simple mat was Rose, nestled among some of her more vibrant flowers, apparently reading a book.
Thump.
Not now. He had to act at least somewhat coherent.
He trotted over, hoping to catch a glance of what she was reading. Rose was angled slightly away from him, and the sun was such that she didn't see him approach.
She really was beautiful....
“Hey Rose.”
With a yelp, she sprang to her feet, sending a few flowerheads flying. She turned around to look at Ivy-
and the two burst out laughing.
“You scared me half to death Ivy!”
Ivy did his best to feign innocence, but failed rather miserably.
“Oh...erm....whoops?”
Her wide grin settled into more of a shy smile, one that sent pleasant shivers from his spine to his hooves.
“I...umm....hope I didn't interrupt your reading.”
She shook her head, and Ivy couldn't help but noticed a slight blush on her cheeks. It wasn't warm outside, was it?
“Not really. Couldn't get into the book.”
He nodded, hoping the conversation wouldn't get as awkward as he felt it would.
“Erm, same here. They said this one Daring Do novel would be....how did the rainbow pegasus say it? Un-put-downable. Well...I put it down. Just not the day for reading I guess...”
Rose nodded, glancing to her book.
“Hmm. I was just reading up on better ways to garden, or trying to read at least.”
There it was. That awkward silence that eagerly swooped in to fill the conversation gap.
“I was wondering if you were doing anything later today....maybe for lunch?”
Sweet vines Ivy....that was actually rather smooth!
“Nope! Is...that..umm.....
a date?”
As she spoke the last two words, the blush became more pronounced on Rose's cheeks, and she couldn't meet Ivy's gaze. If she had looked up, Rose would have seen a completely joyful expression on the stallion's features.
“Yep! Umm.....maybe see you at eleven thirty? Just meeting out front here...and then we can figure out where to go?”
Rose nodded quickly-perhaps too quickly.
“Sure! That sounds good! I'll see you in a bit!”
Things would have ended rather smoothly, but somehow Rose's back left hoof got caught in a watering can on her short walk to her front door. By the time she had shaken the offending object from her hoof and gotten inside, she was fairly certain her cheeks matched the color her name implied.
Ivy walked, but with a bit more bounce, back into his home. He bowed comically at the ivy vines near the window.
“Thank you for your advice my friends!” He then turned to walk upstairs, just to make sure he looked alright for the date.