• Published 21st Nov 2012
  • 3,604 Views, 147 Comments

A World Apart (Old Version) - Star Scraper



The Mane 6 are accidentally sent to an alternate world in turmoil.

  • ...
16
 147
 3,604

A Little Honor

Do not be afraid, young heiress.

I created this world. Nothing in it is beyond me.

I'm so scared. Please help me!

You will not go astray,

Though shadows fall,

Still the stars find their way.

* * *

There was a small puddle lying in front of Twilight Sparkle. She wasn't sure how it got there; there didn't seem to be any kind of leak from the ceiling, or any water anywhere else. It was there, regardless; a small, clear puddle with a bit of moss on its edge that paid no regard to its own impossibility.

The guards were talking on the far side of her cell's bars, but she wasn't listening. Her imagination was exploring the small, mysterious sea in front of her.

She had thought about escaping, shortly after Clockwork had spoken to her, but soon the entire guard had returned, and her hopes and plans had withered. She wasn't going to repeat the earlier event with the rifles, and since the wrap on her horn stopped her magic, she knew they wouldn't hold fire if it came off; they had hardly spared her when just her gag had come off. So instead, she only hoped that Rainbow would still somehow save her. She knew it was unlikely, but she couldn't plot escape anymore, her mind simply refused to think about her situation. She tried, but it always went somewhere else.

So she stared at the small puddle, her mind lost in its depths, the tiny bit of moss becoming an oasis of lush green in her imagination.

She could see it. She was lying on a hammock strung in-between two palm trees, reading about astronomy and mathematics, while Rainbow was next to her, on her spread, sunbathing in a relaxed, half-asleep state, next to Rarity who was doing the same. Fluttershy and Applejack were out swimming. Pinkie Pie swung from a vine and splashed into the sea, destroying the puddle. Twilight looked up.

Her prison door had been opened, the soldiers were gone, and Rainbow Dash – Governor Spectrum – stood in front of her in her regal dress, her hoof in the tiny puddle.

Cloudchaser stood on her right, wearing a military uniform and stuffed saddlebags. In the back stood two guards in ornate armor, wielding more rifles. She felt cold as dread washed over her. Cloudchaser took off Twilight's gag. Forgotten thirst scratched her throat once more as her mouth came free of the rope. The trigger had fired; one by one, subsided pains returned.

“Evening, unicorn. It is time,” the governor started.

“Rainbow! I-”

“Governor,” Dash corrected.

“Governor, are you going to really take me back... Or are you...” Twilight couldn't bring herself to put the words on her lips.

“Your fate is outside your control, now, unicorn. I suggest you accept that,” Rainbow replied as Cloudchaser began unpacking her bags.

“What are you going to do to me?” Twilight asked. “I just want to know...”

The governor took a step forward and inspected the prisoner. Her mane resembled a demolished birds' nest, dirt covered her face and body. She was hog-shackled as she had been since yesterday morning, completely immobile and diapered. The earring-tag still hung from her sore ear.

“How do you feel, Twilight?” The governor asked as she started removing the tag from her ear.

Twilight was taken aback. “How do I feel?... I... I'm tired, I'm hungry, I'm thristy, I have a headache...” she started forcing back sobs, “I feel like throwing up, I want these shackles off, they hurt, my legs hurt at this angle, I want this – this – this diaper off! I want to go home! I want to go home, take a shower and get in bed. I want to be treated as a real pony!” She was visibly shaking.

“High Guard.” The governor called and motioned to one of the two guards, who approached with rope. He tied Twilight's forehooves together, then her back hooves. Twilight moaned. “This is what I'm talking about! I want to stop being handled like!-”

The governor produced a key from her pocket, reached down, and turned something on Twilight's shackles. She felt them fall away.

“like...” Twilight continued, shocked. She moved her legs apart, tidal waves of relief coming from moving them out of the painful, unnatural position they'd been in. “Governor?” she asked.

“Guard, change her clothing.”

“I!-”

“This is the first thing I want you to learn about The Order, Twilight,” Full Spectrum interrupted; “We are civilized. We do only what we must to survive. For example, as disgusting as that diaper is, it is the only acceptable option when we have a unicorn as yourself, who must be rendered completely immobile for our safety. As unsavory as it is, it isn't half as disgusting to us as innocent blood. But as I said, we're civilized, we contain and control the spilling of blood as much as we can. We only do what is necessary and civil. We are The Order.”

Now in clean clothing, and her legs partially free, Rainbow reached down and helped Twilight up. Only now, Twilight realized truly how incredibly sore her legs were from the unnatural position they had been forced into for two days. She felt light-headed and dizzy as she was pulled up, and her legs failed to support her weight, but with Rainbow's help, she was able to sit on her haunches in a relatively comfortable position. She breathed a deep sigh of relief.

“But – what are you going to do to me?” she croaked, her voice weak.

“For now, you will have a much-needed dinner,” the governor told her. Cloudchaser handed Full Spectrum a water canteen from the pile of things from her saddlebags.

“Governor! Just tell me! What is all this about!? What are you going to do to me!?”

“Drink,” Rainbow ordered, pressing the canteen to the unicorn's lips.

Her burning throat convinced her to chug the sweet, cool water instead of arguing further. But when it was empty, she exploded; “Rainbow! Why the hay won't you answer me!? What are you!-”

The governor put a hoof under her jaw and pushed it up, shutting her mouth, glaring at her. “Twilight. You've been given the ability to speak. Don't make me take it back.”

Twilight sighed, and faced the floor in dejection. She thought about her ear, now free of the painful weight, her clothing dry, her thirst quenched and legs comfortable, and her strength slowly returning.

She had never felt so small, so undignified, helpless, weak and scared, but when Rainbow had taken the weight from her ear, her entire body had been relieved. She continued calmly, remembering she was talking to Rainbow Dash; “What can you tell me, governor? Why did you take my earring off? Why am I still shackled? Can you answer me that?”

“Tell me about where you come from, Twilight.”

She sighed, holding back a scream of frustration. A wrap still blocked her horn, and her hooves were still tied. She was relieved from some of her pains, but she still felt small and helpless, and knew those feelings were true. So she obeyed and started talking about home, as she was fed a few biscuits and more water.

The governor answered little, and Cloudchaser, who the governor called 'Colonel Icewind', said nothing at all.

Finally, she produced a small box, and opened it to unwrap a small shot glass and a bottle. She poured half the contents of the bottle into the shot-glass.

Terror fell over Twilight. “Rai-Governor! I... You... But, no!” she sobbed.

“Drink it.”

“But – doesn't this mean!?...” But she took my record off! So I can't be executed! But the drink!

“I told you we would have a drink, so drink,” the governor forced her to drink the liquid as she had done with the first canteen. “It sounds like a beautiful place you're from, Twilight... Good evening.” Spectrum waved.

“What!? But – Aagh!” She moaned, then stomped her forehooves as the colonel blindfolded her. Her voice was shaking; “This isn't making any sense! What's -” she froze as a collar was placed over her neck, and she felt the tingling of magical enchantment coming from it. “What is this? What is this collar!?”

“Bad question,” Colonel Icewind said. Twilight was swiftly gagged. She yelled into it in frustration. The collar lifted off her neck, and she could hear the door to the prison open, followed by hoofsteps and somepony's gagged protests. She heard shackles locked onto hooves to the sound of more muffled struggling.

Another collar fell over her, only this time she felt her entire body buzz as it rested on her, a more powerful magic.

Her head spun, and she felt an outstretched hoof keep her from falling to the ground. The hoof guided her back onto her haunches, where she was quickly flanked by two large guards who pulled her onto her hooves.

She barely stood, her weight leaning on the guards, and was carefully led forward, out of the prison, screaming into her mind, confused and dizzy beyond any sense.

* * *

“Astilbe! There you are! There isn't much time. We're all here, ready to go,” Rosewing greeted Astilbe as she climbed stairs in-between displaced floorboards into a living room filled with a small number of other ponies. “Clock is running, all the other ponies are set and the show's about to start, we can't do this without our star, so get out there!”

Rosewing's pink mane was a mess, her vanilla body shivered under a bathrobe and her face was flushed.

“That's great! I'm ready to go. Looking sick, Rosewing,” she returned with a wink behind her deeply shaded spectacles.

“Thanks. I wish I could say all of it was only acting.” Rosewing sniffed. “Now get going! I'll be ready when you get here!” She gave her pink friend a nudge to the door.

“Alright, alright. C'mon, everypony, as we've planned.” Astilbe started trotting out the door. The small group moved around her, stopping as she took the phony fencepost off her back, and put it in a wagon full of miscellaneous supplies. Two stallions from the group trotted up and started pulling the wagon as the band of Cerullean operatives took to the street.

Astilbe's heart started to race as they set off on the cobblestone. Four blocks away she could see a small crowd around the prison. Overhead, pegasi police and infantry patrolled the black sky.

“So, Astilbe, how's the gardening?” Fiddler asked. Astilbe realized she had been conspicuously solemn, while the rest of the group had engaged in light-hearted conversation.

“Business is very good. I'm worried Roseluck will want me to become her regular gardener!” she said with a grin.

“What's wrong with that?” Fiddler feigned curiosity.

“You know, I just don't like it... I like things to get mixed up.” Of course Fiddler knows I don't want to go regular because it might conflict with one of my assignments! But, still my public excuse really is true. I just can't stand the thought of a regular schedule, either.

The band of spies were hardly a block down the street before a small troop landed in front of them.

“What is this? You!” an orange soldier called out to Silverwing. “Who made you work during a Spectacular?”

“We're not working – or, rather we're not being made to work, sir. We're just very busy and we've got some supplies to take to General Electric – the Harvey building, and we thought we'd take them there on the way to the Spectacular.”

The two soldiers glanced at eachother. “General Electric?” the other commented to the speaker.

“Who's your employer?” the orange one pressed.

“Mr. Hawkeye,” Silverwing replied confidently.

“Very well, be on your way.” The soldiers took off.

The group began rolling forward again. Astilbe turned back to her blue-maned friend.

“Fiddler, I'm worried. I just found a homeless, injured pony, and I've taken her in-”

“Can she help with the watch business?” Fiddler excitedly piped as she went wide-eyed.

“No, she can't.” She's not a unicorn. Fiddler really likes that codespeak, though. “But she looks exactly like me. The only difference is her mane is curly, and she acts like an excited little filly. But I'm worried, she's still badly injured and I'm having to leave her home alone for so long...”

“Oh, Astilbe!” Fiddler's eyes sparkled. “You need a foalsitter!? Or – rather, a sort of nurse, I guess?”

“What do you know about nursing?” Puzzlement spread over Astilbe's face.

“Well, I know a few things. Just tell me what to do and I can keep an eye on her. Better than nothing, right?”

“Are you really having that hard of a time? What about your job?”

Fiddler sighed. “The theater might be closing down. They've been cutting my pay! Things are just going downhill, Astilbe...” Her gaze turned to the cobblestone as her ears flopped back.

Astilbe set a hoof on her shoulders; “What are friends for, Fiddler? Of course you can be my foalsitter-nursepony. It's not like I could hire a real professional nurse. Do I look like I have a slave's healthcare?” They giggled.

“Astilbe!” Silverwing snapped. She almost jumped. She took in her surroundings only to realize they were already outside the garage door to the Harvey Building, pulling the wagon in. “I'll catch you later, Fiddler.” She trotted towards her item in the wagon, only to be stopped as a hoof caught her.

“Please do, Astilbe.” Fiddler pulled her tight into a hug, her voice quaking, repressed fears boiling to the surface. “Please don't die. I don't know if I can take it again. I don't know-...”

Astilbe gently returned the hug, then pulled her away to look her into her lonely friend's eyes. She could see tears. “I'll be okay.” The entire group was facing their pink ‘star operative’. She turned to them. “I'll be fine, everypony, if anypony can do it, it's me, right?”

“That's just what she used to say...” Fiddler lowered her gaze again.

“But I mean it.”

Silverwing handed her the fencepost heavier than the rest, the only one with a shoulder strap. Astilbe put it on her back. “I really mean it. I have a good feeling about this. I promise you I'll be back. This is our biggest show yet, but I’m the best darn pony in the business!”

Fiddler faced her, wiped her eyes, but stayed silent.

“Do return.” Silverwing simply said, with a small nod.

Astilbe returned it. “Carry on, friends. I'll be back shortly. For a cerulean sky!” She trotted away.

“To a cerulean sky...”

* * *

Applejack stood next to Big Mac at the back of a large crowd that filled a public square. Vendors carrying their stock on large saddles went through the crowd selling concessions and stones. Ponies that bought the stones rushed to the streets where the unicorn would be brought in from. Two copper for a smooth one, four copper for a sharp one, and five copper for a slightly larger one.

Patriotic banners of The Order and propaganda hung from enormous poles that ran the length of the area. At the end was a band playing festive music, a small squad of infantry and a large elevated platform, on which sat a gallow and more armed guards. Infantry patrolled the streets, stood on rooftops and flew overhead.

AJ was shaking. She felt sick, and the festive mood all around her only made it worse. She stomped the ground. I'm stayin'. Even if she doesn't know I'm here, even if I can't do a darn thing, I have'tah be here for her... Nothin' else matters. Ah' just can't let her die alone.

Big Mac looked over at her. “Are you sure you're okay, Gold Will?”

“For the hundredth time, Crimson, I'm stayin'!” she shouted.

He simply nodded and patted her back with his hoof.

“Is this your first time?” An eager-looking yellow colt asked her. “It's kinda amazing to see a real, live unicorn! Really scary, too! Don't worry, though, I'm sure glad they got all these guards around! Sure makes me feel much better and you, too, huh?”

She ignored him. General Crimson Fire glared at him, wearing his uniform. The colt noticed. “Woah. Uh-Good evening, sir!” The colt disappeared back into the crowd.

Applejack was facing the ground, her arm over her eyes and shaking. Her brother patted her back again and held her close. He tuned out the loud ruckus of the crowd as he looked at her, and could hear her sobbing. The hot tears pouring down her cheeks couldn’t be stopped. She dearly wished she could bury her face in her long-gone hat. “It's some kind of sick festival to them... She's not a pony at all to them...” she whimpered in-between sobs.

The noise of the crowd became alarmed. The general looked up and saw a wave of air infantry rushing away. Messengers rushed to squads and relayed orders, and the squads immediately shot off. “Stay here,” the general told Applejack as he left the crowd.

She felt shorter than any pony around her, and wished she could only disappear into the crowd even more. Her side felt cold and her back bare without her brother's hoof. She finally managed to stop herself from crying. She wiped her cheeks and faced the distant rope tied into the horrible knot. It looked nothing like her own beloved lasso.

“There's been an explosion just north of the palace,” Big Mac told her as he re-appared.

She turned to him and moved next to him. “Is it a resc-” An alarmed look exploded onto his face, and his hoof flew up to stuff her mouth. She realized she was about to make it publicly obvious she wanted Twilight rescued.

“No. It is nowhere near the path of the unicorn's travel. But something odd is happening. That's twice today. I don't like this,” he said.

She looked at him and bowed her head slightly.

He simply acknowledged with a small nod.

“Can we...?” she asked.

“No. We're staying here. Whatever it was they were after was probably just an easier target today, with all our forces focused on the unicorn. It's not what you might think.”

She faced the ground for a moment, then looked back at him, “Let's get closer,” she said.

“Are you sure?” he asked with surprise.

“Absolutely.” She pressed into the crowd.

They were almost halfway through when a wave of overhead pegasi delivered messages to the surrounding guards. In moments, the entire square was almost devoid of soldiers. The noise of the crowd faded away from celebratory cheer and into murmurs of wonder and fear.

What sounded like thunder rumbled in the distance. A few moments later came gunshots. The crowd became loud again and began breaking apart, moving away from the noise, threatening to pull the Apple siblings apart. “Crimson Fire!” Applejack shouted, and grabbed him as the crowd flowed around them.

“Look!” He pointed above the city. “We should leave with the crowd!” he said. “This isn't safe! Something terrible is happening!”

She looked up and saw pillars of thick smoke, lit gold by the city's lights. She knew he was wrong. He was wrong about the rescue attempt and leaving.

The crowd was thin around them, all rushing away from the noise while soldiers flew over and directed them away from the distant smoke while trying to keep ponies from panicking.

“We gotta stay! I have to find Twilight! Where did all the guards go!? She did it! But she definitely needs help! There's no way she's gettin' through all these guards on her own!” Her heart raced. There was hope, and there was something she could do!

“APPLEJACK!” He shouted firmly. “Nothing but death for you lies that way!” he warned.

“No, Big Mac, home lies that way!”

“What about Applebloom!?”

“I!... Well... What about you!? Why can't YOU take care of her!?...”

“What about me?” he asked, more gingerly, putting a hoof on her back, holding her from running. “What about me, AJ? What if I need you, too?” His voice shook; “Nothing but danger and death lies up there! I can't lose you again, and neither can Scarlet – Applebloom! We need you, here.”

“What about my home in Equestria, Crimson Fire!? What about Sweet Apple Acres!? That's my home, and Twilight's my friend! I have to be there for'er, gal'darnit!” she stomped the ground again, and stepped forward, glaring into her brother's eyes half a head above her own.

“And what about your home here? You already made your choice Applejack! You decided to stay here! You promised on your honor not to risk your life! Maybe you're not Gold Will, but you are Applejack, and Applejack is a pony of integrity. Live up to who you are!”

Applejack groaned and stomped the ground again. “And what!? Let my friend die!? She means more to me than that, Big Mac!” her glare only became more piercing.

The hardened general's strong look failed him. His eyes softened. “Does she mean more to you than me, Applejack? Does she mean more to you than Applebloom, and your family that needs you? I don't expect her to survive, but you don't have to die with her. You can live, with us, and we need you, I need you. Either you both die, or only she dies.”

She continued more softly, but firmly; “Big Mac...” She paused. “Big Mac, she's my only sure way home. I have a family in Equestria that needs me, too. I don't belong, here. I never should've come. It was all because of an accident.”

I don't believe in accidents, Applejack. You belong wherever you choose to be, and I'm asking... begging you to stay here with us.” He grabbed one of her forehooves, and put it to his chest. “That's my heartbeat that you feel, Applejack. I'm alive. I breathe, I think. I know this is a strange place to you, maybe it doesn't feel real to you, but we're just as real as your family in Equestria, and we need you far more dearly.” Her eyes went wide as the realization came over her. He isn't just some kinda mirror image'a Big Mac... He is Big Mac... And Applebloom's here, too...

There were no more civilians around them. Two guards approached. “You have no time left, Applejack. You've already decided you'd stay with us. Are you going to live up to that, Gold Will?”

She looked at him, and slowly put her hoof down from his chest. He was right, and it made her angry. She turned to the smoke rising in the distance. But Twilight needs me more'an he does. She closed her eyes, and her ears pulled back as she thought; but he's right. There's no way Ah' can face off all those guards alone. I'd die for sure if I go that'a way. She opened her eyes and looked again.

But she needs me. It's the right thing t'do... But is it? I made a vow. And Applebloom needs me, too... The thought of staying terrified her. She faced her brother, as a realization came over her. I hate this world! I've never really hated anythin' like this before! But... I really, really hate this world. I want t'go home. I wanna blue sky, an' I want the quiet, shy Big Mac I grew up with, and I want my friends back. I want to go applebuckin', I want my delicious apples and beautiful orchard under the warm summer sun and blue sky. I want my sweet home. She bowed her head again in his direction, defeat drooping over her face.

Is that it? That's my reason fer wantin' to help Twi? Because I can't stand to see Big Mac so different, an' I can't stand to be here? Shame on you, Applejack! You got a family that needs you. I hate this place, I miss home, but I'm needed here, jus' for now. And I made a promise. I have an Element of Harmony to represent! I have an obligation to be true to my honor. Maybe Twilight said the Elements aren't here, but darnit, I'm bringin' them here! This world needs honor, an' it begins with me an' the Element I represent...

“It's goin' to be harder than Tartarus for me, you know, Crimson Fire,” she told him. “I hate every moment of this place. But you're right.” She sighed. “You need me. My family here needs me. I have a family in Equestria, too, but they're better off, there, and I would probably – who'm I kiddin'? I'd just plain die if I tried to go back with Twilight, at least if I tried to go after her right now. No, Crimson Fire...”

She slouched and began walking towards him slowly, dragging her hooves, facing the cobblestone. “You're right... Let's go,” her voice quivered. She'd never felt so defeated or weak. She could barely move. She wanted to cry, but couldn't summon the energy to bring tears. Yet, something inside of her felt warm. She was leaving Twilight, her dear friend, behind, but she was walking home to her little sister and big brother, and most importantly, living up to her element.

Then, something happened. In the midst of her despair, she felt a small spark of warmth inside of her. She had done what was right, and that was all that mattered.

She felt Big Mac's hoof wrap over her. The approaching guards saw the pair leaving, and the general's rank, and returned to their post instead of investigating, leaving the sister and brother to walk home in peace.

* * *

“Okay, we should be far enough away that they won't hear us,” Astilbe declared as she trotted down a dark tunnel, her mane and tail both puffed up with pink life. A certain dark blue-maned lavender unicorn was wrapped around her back. Unable to free her of her shackles, Astilbe had slipped her on like an uncomfortably tight saddle. The unicorn's hooves met underneath Astilbe's belly, while she rested across her back. The 'saddle' wore a gas mask, diaper, collar, and ear-tag in addition to her shackles. The horn-wrap and gag had long been removed by the cerulean heroine.

“Wohoo!” she let out, “That was totally amazing! And I hope they like mustard – 'cause I sure left them with a lot of mustard gas! And you know, they really got on my nerves! - I guess that'd be funnier if I had nerve gas grenades. But then again, nerve gas really isn't funny. But that was totally great!”

“Eh err wooing ab uf!”

“What, Twilight? - Oh, I guess I should take your gas mask off, hehe!” She obliged and stored it away in a saddlebag. “But it's actually MY gas mask. Though I guess it's yours if you were wearing it. Or it could be yours! Do you want a gas mask?”

“The shooting, and the rocks, and – the running! Why were they throwing rocks at me? What are you?”

“I'm a pony, silly goose. Or I guess silly unicorn!” she cheerfully answered.

“No... You're some kinda monster! You were laughing and – and – we were getting shot at, and you just... Boom! Jump! It was crazy! You're nuts!” Twilight's voice sounded woozy.

“I'm not nuts! I just take a great deal of joy in causing anarchy to The Order.” Her tone became sad for a single line: “Life is normally so boring,” cheer returned to her voice; “But there's nothing to get your blood running and mane poofing quite like a little havoc-y fun!”

“The boom! The bazooka and boom and the jumping... THE JUMPING!”

Astilbe laughed. “Yep! Well, after I popped the flashbang and the smoke and ran off with you, they totally had that building totally surrounded, in like, ten seconds flat! There was no way we'd get out at all! They had every exit blocked, and the exits to the alleyway blocked, but not the third floor window over the alleyway! But there was no way into the next building, so I made a doorway!” she musically chimed the last four words, “All according to plan!” She squee'd. “Though then we had to jump to it, and we almost didn't make it! Landing with you on my back was hard! I'm a really strong pony though, when my mane gets poofy I'm like – zoom – zoom, rawr! I think it's the adrenaline!”

Twilight was silent.

The pink pony was about to ask why Twilight hadn’t used any magic, when sniffing and sobbing sounded from her back. Surprised, she stopped walking and gingerly slid her passenger off. “Twilight, are you okay?”

“NO!” she wailed through tear-soaked eyes. “I'm not okay! Why was everypony throwing stones – and shooting – and explosions – and all the running and I'm – I'm – I'm SHACKLED and – I just hate this!”

“Well, uhm... You know... Well, I guess you don't know... That's just what The Order does, Twilight, they kill unicorns... But don't worry, you're in safe hooves now!”

She fell into sobbing again.

“Oh, uh - I'll just uh – I'm sorry I don't know how to get the shackles off! But, uhm...” Astilbe's expression softened. She leaned in and hugged the unicorn gingerly. “There, there, it's alright, now. You're safe now, and you'll never be – never have anything like that happen again. It's over, okay?”

She just held her hug for a few minutes as the sobbing died down, then finally backed away just enough to talk to her.

“Pinkie Pie told me about you, Twilight. How you're so smart, and cute, and such an awesome book-pony and talented unicorn.”

She sniffed. “I'm not a unicorn! You're a unicorn!” she finished angrily.

“Wha-?” It suddenly clicked in Astilbe's head. I could hear it in her voice, and she seems kind of... out of it, but I just thought that was the shock of everything... “Why do you think I'm a unicorn?”

“Because... You're a unicorn! A monster!”

“I just saved your life!”

“But you were laughing, and jump – with me on your back, and the explosions!”

“I just... Had some fun, saving you. Are you thinking alright? I don't have a horn, you see...” As confusion replaced her excitement, her mane slowly lost its puff.

“But... You're a unicorn, you – you... Unicorn!”

“You're hammered, aren't you?”

“I haven't had a drop!” At this point, it was beyond doubt. The unicorn was drunk.

“Well, Twilight... Let's get going.”

“But I'm not Twilight! What's a 'Twilight'?”

Astilbe chuckled. “Yeah, and I'm a unicorn.” She gave the poor thing another little hug, and slid her on her back again, noticing, to her horror, that Twilight had made use of the diaper. She was definitely in something other than her right adult mind.

As the Cerulean operative carried the rescued passenger down the tunnel, she felt the unicorn put her cheek against hers. “You know, unicorn-monster... I kinda like you. You're 'Pinkie'! All pinkie-pink!... Pink all over...”

“I'm sure you do, Twilight... I sure hope you do, since I just saved your life.” She squee'd a big grin. This is what I live for.

But what if this really isn't Twilight? She's lavender, cutie mark of a star, blue mane with purple and pink stripe bowlcut... It's gotta be her, right?