• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 1,788 Views, 26 Comments

The Journal of Sombra Lucent - JitterbugJive



The journal entries of a crystal unicorn of his journey and discovery of a new magic

  • ...
2
 26
 1,788

The Discovery



Entry 2

Long have I searched and found nothing of our crystal’s origins. However, on my journey I have learned many new magics and I am confident that I can at least return home with some further knowledge beyond what anypony in the kingdom has achieved. This could be my chance to prove my own capabilities to them, to show them there is so much more than relying on festivities and an object to keep us alive and well. The things I have seen beyond the mountains, the lands I have traveled, everything out there is so much more brilliant than any of them could ever dream.

I pity them.

Entry 3

I found something. Finally, after all this time I’ve stumbled on an ancient artifact in a lost temple, buried in ruins that were long forgotten. I only happened on these ruins because I was using a magic detecting spell, which picked up a shocking amount of energy beyond even the crystal in its dormant state. Impossible, I thought, but perhaps not so much. Naturally, I followed this magic signal, hoping to find another crystal. Oddly enough, the signal seemed to dull down the closer I came to it, as if the signal was made for the sole purpose of attracting my attention.

I wont deny the disappointment I felt when I cleared the rubble of a small tomb only to happen upon a pile of old dust and nothing more. The tomb itself was odd, so tucked away from the world that not even cobwebs dared to venture inside. There was nothing but the dull smell of old. No other way to explain it. Just old. But the signal was still there, coming from this rather ordinary dust-pile, and that perhaps is what drove me to dig.

And there I found it, old, rustic, wondrous… A book, somehow completely unharmed in the rot and decay, not even stained from the dirt or pages warped from the dampened air… A perfect book, as fresh as a newly scribed scroll.

Now that I am clear of the ruins and have set up camp, I can examine this strange book. The cover is pitch black, not exactly flattering in the least, and only a few symbols litter the front with no full indication of the contents within. A sun, a moon, a six pointed star of magical unity, and the one thing that caught my interest most… A crystal heart. I have tucked this book safely in to my saddle-bag for the time being, I have a long journey ahead of me if I wish to return home to thouroughly study this artifact, and I will need all the rest I can get.