• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 758 Views, 5 Comments

Ponyville Confidential - Doctoroctagonapus21



Type Writer, a journalist pony, reports on the strange goings-on around Ponyville...

  • ...
 5
 758

Summer Sun Celebration Spoiled and Saved

"'A Day at Sweet Apple Acres.' Another boring story." said a gruff brown earth pony named J.J. head of the Ponyville Express. "This is why nopony reads our paper, Ty."

Sitting on the other side of the desk was Type Writer, a blue pegasus with a black mane with red stripes, yellow eyes, a pair of sunglasses, and a typewriter cutie mark. "Sir, it's not my fault! Nothing ever happens around here."

"You can't write any stories about Pinkie?"

"Everypony's already bored of those stories. You said it yourself."

"You realize that I should let you go."

"Please just give me another chance."

The earth pony considered it. "... Fine, one more chance. The Summer Sun Celebration's tommorrow and being held here. See if you can't get an interview with the Princess. That'll get some readers."

"Yes, sir!" Type Writer said enthusiastically as he bolted out the door to prepare.


That night, the celebration was under way. The city hall was full of ponies ready to see Celestia.

"Okay, an interview with the princess. I can do it... More like I HAVE to do it. My whole career depends on this." As he looked around he noticed that Pinkie Pie was talking to some new unicorn. She always was able to make new friends pretty quickly, but the strange thing was this unicorn was accompanied by a dragon. "Gotta remember to make a note about that."

"Fillies and Gentlecolts!" the Mayor began.

"This is it!" Ty thought to himself.

"As mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the summer sun celebration! In just a few moments our town will witness the magic of the sunrise and celebrate this: the longest day of the year! And now it is my great honor to introduce to you, the ruler of our land. The very pony that gives us the sun and the moon each and every day. The good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria: Princess Celestia!"

As the fanfare played, the curtains pulled back to reveal the Princess missing. At seeing this, Ty's jaw dropped and his heart nearly snapped in two. Their ruler had disappeared, he had no interview, and he would be out of a job. Just then, a sparkly purple smoke arose from where the princess was supposed to be and from it a dark mare had taken their princess' place.

As he beheld this mare, his eyes grew wide and sparkled. Things were finally getting interesting. Finally a story worth writing and reading about: Celestia's dissapearance and the mysterious new mare. Not only would he keep his job, this might even skyrocket him to bigger things. As he was thinking, the new unicorn piped up and revealed the identity of this new mare as Nightmare Moon.

"Nightmare Moon? The pony who inspired Nightmare Night? The one everypony assumed was just a legend?!" Ty thought, smiling so big he felt his face might break. "I JUST HIT THE JACKPOT!"

All of a sudden, Nightmare Moon became a wisp of smoke and disappeared. He looked around for the purple unicorn, but was having no luck. "I saw her talking to Pinkie Pie, so I'll ask Pinkie about it later. For now I got some ponies to interview."

He walked up to the stage where Mayor Mare was trying to calm everypony down.

"Everypony just calm down! I'm sure the Princess will arrive soon and everything will be alright. Until then, just talk amongst yourselves."

"Miss Mayor? Type Writer for the Ponyville Express. Could I ask you a few questions?"

"Uh, I suppose..."

"Thank you." Ty says, pulling out a pencil and notepad. "First question: What are your thoughts on the situation?"

"Well, frankly I don't know what to think. We put so much time and preperation into this celebration, and now everything just goes wrong. Not to mention a neverending night... who knows what'll happen?"

"Second question: The mare that appeared instead of Celestia was identified as Nightmare Moon. Growing up, did you think she was real or just a legend?"

"Well, as a filly I always thought the legend was just some mumbo-jumbo to explain our costumes, but I suppose every legend 'has some kernel of truth,' as they say."

"I see. Last question: the pony who identified Nightmare Moon as a purple unicorn I'd never seen before. Any idea who it was?"

"The Princess had sent a letter asking the library to be prepared for Miss 'Twilight Sparkle'. I suppose that could've been her."

"Really? Interesting. Anything you'd like to say?"

"Not at the moment, no."

"Alright. Thank you very much." Ty said as he slipped into the crowd to get statements from as many ponies as he could.


That night alone felt like it really was lasting forever, but at least he had gotten plenty of statements to use in his story. As he stepped outside for fresh air, he saw a glorious sight: the sunrise. He spent a minute to take in the beauty of the rising sun before shouting to the other ponies, "THE SUN! IT ROSE!" He had barely finished saying it before everypony inside came out to see it. For a straight minute, everypony watched the sunrise in total admirable silence before somepony started yelling like a maniac, with the others following suit.

Eight ponies returned in total and Ty was determined to get an interview with each of them. Afte all, this was the story of a lifetime. As Celestia finished addressing Twilight he carefully flew up to her, pencil and notepad in hoof. "Excuse me, your majesty. My name is Type Writer and I work for the Ponyville Express. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions..."


Summer Sun Celebration Spoiled and Saved

As we all know, the Summer Sun Celebration takes place every year to celebrate the longest day of the year and is one of the few chances a normal pony gets to meet Celestia herself, but who knew that this year would be a special one? Well, one pony did: Ponyville's new librarian, Ms. Twilight Sparkle. Before coming to Ponyville, Ms. Sparkle had spent much her life in Canterlot as Her Royal Highness' personal student. When asked how she knew all this would happen Ms. Sparkle replied, "Thorough and dedicated research." Princess Celestia also commented saying, "In all my years, I'd never seen a pony more dedicated to the puruit of knowledge." Our divine ruler saw the signs so she sent Twilight to Ponyville in order to deal with the threat.

"What threat?" you may ask. Remember the legend of the Mare in the Moon? Well, that mare appeared in our Princess' place and threatened to bring about eternal night. However, Ms. Sparkle and her new friends set out to bring back the day, braving many dangers in the Everfree Forest like a raging manticore and crumbling terrain, all brought on by Nightmare Moon. Local weather captain Rainbow Dash was quoted as saying, "Good thing I came with. Otherwise who knows what might've happened." Resident fashionista Rarity also commented, "It turns out there are creatures in the forest with a sense of style. Who would've guessed."

In defeating Nightmare Moon and bringing both Celestia and the day back to Equestria, Ms. Sparkle managed to revive a long forgotten part of the legend: the Elements of Harmony originally used by Celestia and her sister. "There are TWO princesses?" Yes! Nightmare Moon, it turns out, is actually Princess Luna, the princess in charge of night all those years ago. "WE ART VERY GRATEFUL TO TWILIGHT SPARKLE AND HER FRIENDS!" the princess said. She was also quoted as saying, "TO ALL WHO USE MAGIC, BEWARE DARK MAGIC!" When asked to elaborate, she declined saying, "WE DOST NOT WISH TO SPEAK OF IT!"

Now day and night in Equestria is again balanced with the arrival of a new unicorn in Ponyville and the return of a princess. When there's something strange in the neighboorhood, we know who to call.


"Great job, Ty!" J.J. said. "A legend coming true on a special celebration. Get me more stories like this and you're getting a huge raise!"

"WHOO-HOO!"