• Published 8th Jan 2012
  • 1,649 Views, 33 Comments

Waking in a Strange Land - Gray Valentine



My first story written for fimfiction.

  • ...
7
 33
 1,649

Chapter 2: Making New Friends

A/N: Sorry about the long wait for this new chapter! Google Chrome has been acting up, and apparently doesn't like the site too much. Wouldn't let me do a thing. Hopefully the problem is solved now, and I can update more frequently!

Chapter 2: Making New Friends

As me and Twilight are walking through Ponyville on our way to meet her friends, she points out a few places she thought I should remember, like Quills and Mattresses, Sugarcube Corner, and the Book Store. “First off we will go to Sweet Apple Acres. I'll introduce you to Applejack's family.” said Twilight.

“Alright.” I said to Twilight. After what seemed like only 5 minutes, we walk up to the gate of Sweet Apple Acres. The first thing I saw when we got there was the rows upon rows of apple trees. “Wow. That's a lot of apple trees.” I said, thinking out loud.

“Yes, there is a lot. Applejack and her big brother, Big Macintosh, run the place, as their names imply.” Just as she said this, a red pony with orange hair, only slightly taller than me and Twilight, walked past the gate.

“Eeyup.” Was all he said, in a low monotone voice, before he continued walking past us and into a row of apple trees. Twilight opened up the gate, and I followed her onto the property. We walked up to a large red barn 20 feet away. There, sitting in a rocking chair was on old pony, with an unkempt white mane, and matching tail.

“Well howdy there Twilight. You lookin' for Applejack?” Said the old pony. She seems a little off to me. But, who am I to judge.

“Yes, Granny Smith. Is she inside?” Twilight asked her.

“Yep. You go on in.” Said Granny Smith.

“Thanks Granny.” Said Twilight. I followed her into the barn, to find it was actually a pretty nice house. For some reason it seems a bit bigger on the inside than it did on the outside. Probably just the wallpaper. When we walked in, I saw Applejack coming out of the kitchen followed by a small yellow filly with red hair and a pink ribbon.

“But Applejack! I'm old enough to help you and Big Mac! I just no I am!” said the filly.

“Applebloom, I've told you before, and I'll say it again. You are too little!” Said Applejack. She was too busy arguing with me, she didn't see me there and bumped into me. “Oh, sorry. Hey, I remember you!” She looked at me and then Twilight. “I see you took my advice and went to see Twilight. So, have you found out how to fix your little problem?”

“No, but Twilight did send a letter off to the Princess. She said she want's to see me in a few days time, and until then, Twilight is to show me around town and find a place to stay.” I said to Applejack.

“Well, that's good! Maybe the Princess can help you. Since your new here, I'll introduce you to my family. This here filly, is my little sister Applebloom. Big Mac is probably out buckin' some apple trees. Maybe you saw him on the way in.”

“You mean the tall red pony with the low monotone voice?” I asked. “Yeah I saw him.”

“Good, good. And I see you met my Grandma, Granny Smith.” She pointed her head in her general direction. “And that's about everyone. Well, unless you count everyone who lives outta town.”

“It was nice to meet your family Applejack. I don't mean to rush you at all, but the daylight's burning and I'd like to meet everyone and go to bed. This whole experience has left me a little sleepy.” I said, trying to sound as nice as possible.

“Well then, why don't I just go with ya? I got nothin' else to do today, and I haven't visited our friends in quite a while!”

“Sounds great!” Said Twilight. “I'm sure everyone would like to see you.” After Applejack said goodbye to Applebloom and Granny Smith, we all headed out. “Next stop, the Carousel Boutique.” We exited out the same gate we came in from, and headed towards carousel boutique. Along the way, Twilight, Applejack and I were chatting, nothing worth mentioning in the story, when 10 feet ahead of us I saw a rainbow blur zoom past. I stopped in the middle of the path, and looked towards where the blur had stopped. There stood a blue pegasus with a rainbow mane and tail.

“Hey! Twilight! Applejack! Over here!” Yelled the pony. Twilight and Applejack both looked towards the pony, and started walking towards her.

“Hey there Rainbow Dash! Whatcha' up to.” Applejack said the the new pony.

“Nothing really. Just trying out my new Rainbow Barrel Somersault. I almost have it down, but I mess up a bit on the landing. Hey, whos this?” She said looking at me.

“I'm Lucas.” I said to Rainbow Dash.

“Strange name. So what are you guys up to?” She asked us all.

“Lucas is new in town. I'm showing him around town and introducing him to all our friends. Good thing we ran into you here. We were just about to go see Rarity.” Twilight said.

“Oh yeah?” She said. She looked at me, and said, with a grin on her face,“Be careful around Rarity. She might bore you to death. Well, you guys have fun. I'm gunna try to perfect this move.”

“O.K. See you later Rainbow.” Twilight said. As soon as Rainbow Dash took off into the sky, me, Twilight and Applejack returned on our path to Carousel Boutique. We finally reached the store, which looked, like the name suggest, a carousel. The only thing I didn't like about the place was there was too much pink. We walked up to the door and Applejack knocked on it. When the door opened, I saw a white unicorn with a perfectly brushed purple mane, wearing a pair of glasses, and some ribbon around her neck.

“Oh, Twilight. Applejack. How can I help you?” said the pony.

“Hi Rarity. I'd like you to meet Lucas. He's new in town, and I'm showing him around.” Twilight said.

“Oh. Hello Lucas. Say, you seem to be the perfect model for my new suit. Would you mind?” I didn't enjoy the idea of being a model, but since Twilight is helping me out, I decided to be nice and go along with it. I nodded, and followed her into the shop. Lining the floors were rolls of fabric, and ribbons. Laying on one of the multiple tables in the room was a white cat with a bow in her (I'm assuming her) hair. On one side of the wall I noticed a mirror. This piqued my curiosity. I haven't seen what I looked like yet! I walked over to the mirror and saw a dark blue unicorn, with a black mane and tail, both of which had a white stripe. Hm. I don't look too bad.

“Over here Lucas.” Said Rarity. I walked onto the stand she was standing by and allowed her to put the suit on me. “Hm. It's missing a little something. Ah! I have just the thing.” She then proceeded to levitate a pair of golden cufflinks onto the wrists of the suit. Once they are attached she seemed satisfied. “Not too bad. Makes you look good Lucas.” I thanked her and stepped off the stand, after she removed the suit.

“Well, we still have to introduce Lucas to Fluttershy. We should head there next.” I heard Applejack say to Twilight.

“Good idea. Come on Lucas! We should get going before it gets too dark. We'll see you later Rarity!” Said Twilight. After walking out the door, I heard Rarity yelling after us.

“Lucas! If you ever need any clothes made, don't be afraid to stop by and see me!”

“Alright! Bye Rarity!” I yelled back. We started heading towards a forest I could see in the distance. After walking for about 15 minutes, we reached a cottage on the edge of the forest. Outside was a cream colored pony with a pink mane and matching tail. I couldn't help but stare at her as she talked to the animals outside her home.

“Now, you eat that all, little birdy. You will need your strength if you want to feel better. And Angel Bunny. You need to finish eating your carrot before you can play.” She said in a quiet, soft voice. When she noticed us coming up the road, she stopped.

“Hi Fluttershy!” Applejack said. “Angel not co-operatin' again?”

“Um. No.” She said. She seemed like she was shying away from her a bit.

“Oh right. The new guy. This here is Lucas. He's new in town.” She said pointing at me. I couldn't keep my eyes off her. I don't know what it was, but something about her just made me feel so... warm. “Um, Lucas? You okay?” Applejack said waving her hoof in my face.

“Wha? Oh yeah. I'm alright.” I managed to say when I snapped back to reality. “Hi Fluttershy. Nice to meet you.” She shied away a bit more as I moved closer to her, and I heard her say something, but I couldn't quite make it out. “I'm sorry?” I said.

“ -eet you.” She said a little louder. I only caught the tail end of her sentence.

“I didn't quite catch that.” I said

“Nice to meet you.” She said just barely loud enough for me to hear. After a few seconds, I decided to break the tension a bit by starting a different conversation.

“So. You like animals I see?” Her reaction was almost immediate. Her attitude changed so quickly I was shocked.

“Oh yes. I love all animals. Rabbits, birds, squirrels, weasels. Just about anything. Except dragons. They scare me.” She said, sounding more confident.

“That's good. So do I.” I said, finding common ground with this breathtaking pony.

“Well, it's good you two found something in common.” Twilight said. “We were just about to head to Sugarcube Corner. Would you like to come Fluttershy?”

“Oh I don't know. I'm kind of busy.” Fluttershy said. I didn't want to quite leave yet.

“Please Fluttershy? I would like to have more friends to walk with.” I asked her, hoping she would say yes.

“Well.. alright. Let's go.” We all started walking back into town. When we were about to reach Sugarcube Corner, Fluttershy stopped. I noticed she stopped, as I had been talking to her the whole way there.

“Fluttershy? What's wrong?” I asked her.

“I just remembered. Your new in town.” She said.

“Yeah. So?” I said.

“Well, the thing is...”

“Lucas! Fluttershy! Come on!” We heard Twilight say, already at the door to the shop.

Fluttershy just shook her head, and said, “Nevermind. You'll see.” We caught up with Twilight and Applejack, waiting for us at the door to Sugarcube corner.

“Come on. You still have to meet Pinkie.” Applejack said as we were walking in the shop. Pinkie? Why does that sound familiar? As we walked in, the room was filled with ponys who yelled, “SURPRISE!!”.

“Hi! Remember me?! I saw you walking into town, and I was all GASP and ran away, because your new here. I knew you were new here because I know everypony in town! So I figured, why don't I throw you a party so you can make some friends, since because your new here, I figured you didn't have any friends in town! So, here you are at your party, I threw for you, so we can all be your friends!” Pinkie said all in one breath. Oh yeah. Pinkie. I remember now.