• Published 19th Nov 2012
  • 3,164 Views, 69 Comments

A New Beginning - Mr101



Ratchet was an earth pony on his way to a new beginning far from his home to a town called Ponyville

  • ...
4
 69
 3,164

The Canterlot Fair


Ratchet knocked on the door taking a deep breath as he waited patiently for a reply, the door opened and Ditzy smiled greeting him. The two headed off towards the train station to catch the train to Canterlot, Dinky was staying round a friend’s house for the day whilst Ratchet and Ditzy had the day together. As they arrived at the station they noticed Spike and Rarity the latter wearing an expensive looking outfit.

“Hey Spike, hey Rarity good morning” Ratchet said to them in a cherry tone as he and Ditzy approached them “Didn’t know if you two would be coming”

“Well Spike made dinner last night for me and Sweetie Belle and I thought it was the least I could do” Rarity smiled giving Spike an affectionate nuzzle. Spike grinned and blushed.

“But wait, does Twilight know you’re coming?” Ditzy asked tilting her head.

“I’m coming as well” Twilight called from behind them, Ditzy and Ratchet turned round “I need to visit the Princess personally anyway so I thought it would be nice to let Spike and Rarity spend the day together.”

The group talked amongst themselves as the train pulled into the station with a slow chug and came to a halt with a loud hiss as it let off steam, the doors of the carriages opened and a few ponies stepped off and onto the platform as the group and other ponies that were waiting stepped into the carriages. They sat down at a nearby table with Ratchet and Ditzy on one end, Rarity and Spike on the other, Twilight opted to sit in the seat beside them as not to be a third wheel, she pulled out a scroll ink and quill from her saddlebag and began to scribble away a smile on her face as the others conversed with each other.

“So Rarity, I take it you had a good time yesterday?” Ditzy asked with a smile.

“Why yes Ditzy dear, Spike was just simply excellent” She patted a white box next to her smiling “He helped me with this design which is just fabulous!”

“I-it was nothing Rarity” he replied

“Nonsense Spikey Wikey you were such a big help! Not only did you help me with my design but you cooked me and Sweetie Belle dinner. A true gentlecolt!” she gave him a kiss on his cheek with an added ‘mwah’ sound as Spikes whole face just went red.

“Spikey Wikey?” Ratchet said stifling his snickers as did Ditzy, Spike shot the two a glare as Ratchet got off his seat “I’ll get us some drinks, anyone want one?”

“Lemonade for me please” Ditzy smiled

“Tea please if they have it darling” Rarity asked

“Tea for me to Ratchet” Twilight said lowering her quill.

“And what about you Spikey Wikey” Ratchet grinned as Ditzy and Twilight held in another wave of snickers. Spike shot him another glare

“Lemonade as well please”

Ratchet left the carriage and began to snicker off into the food cart leaving the girls and Spike alone, Twilight looked down the carriage waiting for Ratchet to be out of earshot before turning her attention to Ditzy.

“So what do you and Ratchet plan to do at the fair?”

“Dunno, just have fun I guess and stuff”

“You’re not nervous?”

“Why would I be nervous Twilight?”

“About spending the day together…alone”

Ditzy tilted her head in confusion.

“We hang out nearly all the time why would I be nervous about today?”

Twilight looked over at Spike was shaking his heads and chuckled nervously herself.

“Oh…no reason” she returned her attention to her scroll as Spike let out a sigh of relief that Twilight hadn’t ruined Ratchet’s plans. Ditzy looked puzzled and was about to ask Twilight what she meant before Rarity, sensing the tension, turned her head to Ditzy.

“So Ditzy dear, how is that lovely little filly of yours doing?” Rarity asked her smiling changing the subject. Ditzy beamed and proudly puffed her chest out.

“She’s doing fantastic; she just got a part in the schools play”

“I heard that she’s doing a duet with my dear Sweetie Bell”

“Mhm I’m so proud of her”

The two continued talking about Dinky and Sweetie as Spike slipped from his seat to go and find Ratchet, he came across him as he was returning from the dining cart a tray balancing on his back holding their drinks.

“Hey Spikey Wikey what’s up?” he snickered as Spike scowled at him.

“Shut up, we have a problem”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s Ditzy, Twilight asked her if she was going to be nervous today and I think Ditzy thinks something is amiss so thought I’d give a heads up”

“Wait she suspects something” Ratchet’s eyes began to show the panic now building inside of him.

“I think so yeah”

“Crap…”

Ratchet sighed and followed Spike back to the seats, the girls thanking him and collecting their drinks and Ratchet returned to his seat. The rest of the journey was relatively normal with the group talking about various subjects and what they plan to do for their day as the train came to a stop inside Canterlot station, they got off the train and made their way through the busy crowds of Ponies coming and going from the trains and the station building before coming out of the building and standing to one side.

“Ok well I’m going to go and meet with the Princess now so say meet back here at the end of the day?” Twilight said to the group.

“Sounds good darling, me and Spikey Wikey” Ratchet and Ditzy held back snickers “Need to bring this order to the client who ordered it and then we shall take lunch and have a look around the fair, come along Spike” Rarity smiled as she levitated the box and was closely followed by Spike.

Ditzy and Ratchet said their good byes to Twilight Rarity and Spike before heading off straight towards the fair, they walked in silence as Ratchet’s heart beat increased as he tried to think of ways to express his feelings without screwing up. Ditzy caught wind of Ratchet’s silence and tilted her head at him.

“You ok Ratchet your kinda quiet…”

“Huh? Oh y-yeah I’m ok”

“You seem a bit…nervous”

“Me? Nah I’m j-just…”Ratchet paused for a moment “Excited about today”

“Oh…ok then” Ditzy turned her head to take in the view of the fair, her face turned into a massive grin as her wings gave a couple of flaps at the sight. The square was filled with different stalls and tents each with a variety of games and foods ranging from simple sweets to extravagant looking cakes, Ditzy had been to fairs before but they were the ones held in Ponyville but compared to this she had never seen anything like it before in her life. Ratchet took a chance and pointed with his hoof at stall nearby with a ‘knock the cans’ down game, it was filled with a few of Canterlot’s locals nobles from what Ratchet could see then remembered what Twilight had told the group on the train.

“The fair was created by Princess Celestia so that the nobles of the town as well as the lower classes could interact with each other and enjoy a shared and equal time of happiness and fun”

‘And enjoy it I shall’ Ratchet thought to himself as he and Ditzy went over to the stall, Ditzy suddenly gasped and her wings flapped as she spotted a medium sized teddy bear plush dangling from the tents roof turning her head to Ratchet she grinned.

“My little Muffin would love that teddy!”

“Then why not win it young miss?” the unicorn behind the stall’s table called to her grinning “You only need to knock all of the cans down “he indicated behind him the triangle tower of cans that was five cans across.

“Ok let me at em!”

Ditzy gave a determined grin as she placed her bits on the counter and picked up the first ball and closed one eye, she let her tongue lop out as she carefully tried to visualise hitting the cans. She launched the first ball which sailed past the cans missing them and hitting the wooden panel at the back of the tent with a thud, Ditzy frowned as she picked the second ball up and launched it again however she missed the cans and it hit the back of the tent with another thud. A noble couple next to them started to titter; Ditzy sighed and launched the third ball which missed the cans again sending the couple into a round of taunting laughter.

“Such a bad shot, what fun” The stallion sniffed as the mare chuckled.

“Indeed my dear and those eyes are just…creepy you should really see a specialist dear” he shuddered as they continued to laugh.

“Quite, and that coat and mane dear honestly, what WERE you thinking?” the mare looked down at Ditzy as she turned to walk away tearing at the eyes and sat at a nearby table. Ratchet angrily gritted his teeth as he jabbed his hoof into the stallion.

“I say!” the stallion said startled

“You think you’re better than her? She’s better than both of you put together!”

“My dear boy you are deluded, she’s nothing more than a country bumpkin she will never be as good as us” the mare snorted at him

“At least her beauty is real unlike your with your make up” Ratchet smirked as the mare gasped and stuttered, the stallion stood in front of his wife.

“Now see here!”

“And as for you, so what if she missed the cans most ponies miss their shots as well not everypony wins on these things, in fact” Ratchet placed some bits on the counter and smirked” I bet you one hundred bits I can knock those cans down in less hits then you can”

The stallion snorted in anger as he placed some bits down on the counter grabbing a ball.

“I shall enjoy taking those bits of you”

“I’ll have you know my husband is the greatest shot in Canterlot simply the best out of the Gentlecolt’s lodge” the mare sniffed

Her husband lined his first shot up and closed one of his eyes to take better aim, he threw the ball as hard as he could taking out half of the cans in an instant his wife clapped her hooves.

“Good shot my dear”

He turned to her nodding his head as he threw his second ball, the ball took away the other side of the cans leaving only two remaining in the middle at fair distance apart carefully he lined up his third shot taking his time to angle it correctly before he launched it. The ball slammed into the left side of the can on the left sending it spinning into the right can sending both to the floor, the mare clapped once more as the stallion sneered at Ratchet.

“Beat that urchin”

Ratchet picked up his first ball and looked at the structure of the cans before aiming for the wooden panelling that encircled the entire tent; he threw his ball of course from the cans at the panelling as the Stallion burst into laughter. But he soon stopped when he heard a loud crash and saw all of the cans had been knocked over, he stood there with his wife mouths agape his left eye twitching as he tried to find words. Ratchet snickered and took the bag of bits the stallion left on the counter and tutted.

“You really shouldn’t have your mouths open like that; it’s bad for the noble image”

The two nobles shot an angry glance at him before storming off with their heads up high, Ratchet turned to the unicorn that ran the stall, and the unicorn grinned at Ratchet.

“Good job kid, sometimes the nobles forget were all equal, oh and here” he levitated the teddy bear off the hook and placed it on Ratchet’s back “For knocking down the cans, I’m sure your marefriend will love it” Ratchet blushed slightly

“T-thanks for the prize”

“You’re welcome kid” the unicorn snickered as Ratchet walked off before turning his attention to clearing the cans up. “Ah young love…”

Ditzy was at the table sniffing as tears slowly trickled down her face when she felt a hoof on her back starling her, she turned round to see who it was and was greeted by Ratchet smiling at her with soft eyes and he wiped the tears of her cheek.

“Hey…you ok?”

Ditzy sniffled and nodded “Y-yeah...”

“Well I know something that wants to say hello to you”

She looked up at him confused as he reached back and held out the teddy to her, she gasped and pulled him into a tight embrace.

“Oh thank you thank you thank you! Dinky’s going to love it!” she looked over to the stall and saw the two nobles had left “Where did they go?”

“I put them in their place, don’t worry about it” he held her chin up to his face and smiled “Ditzy, don’t ever let any pony tell you you’re lower than they are. You are an amazing mare and don’t ever forget it” Ditzy blinked as a light blush covered her cheeks.

“T-thank you Ratchet…”

The two carried on the day with their spirits rising higher playing many of the games and stalls that were around the air each enjoying the others company. They purchased some food before finding a table to sit at and began to eat their meal.

“Don’t ever let any pony tell you you’re lower than they are. You are an amazing mare and don’t ever forget it”

Ratchet’s words still played over and over in her mind; she didn’t understand why some pony would say those things to her. She had never received any hearts and hooves day letters from any pony but that never really bothered her too much, she had only ever thought about a coltfriend when she would see the couples collecting their children from school and envied them slightly. The only real colt she had spent a lot of time with in the time she had spent living in Ponyville was with Ratchet and she was happy to be around him, he made her laugh and cheered her up when she was down. He also was good with Dinky who also liked it when Ratchet was around. She paused for a moment to think and smiled softly coming to a conclusive thought about Ratchet.

“Whatcha thinking about?” Ratchet said brining her out of her thoughts.

“Oh nothing just…how I feel about some pony”

“O-oh I see…and who might that be?”

“Some pony we both know” she giggled as Ratchet blushed slightly.

“W-well…cool I guess…I-is he handsome?”

“Y-yeah he is…” she looked up at him blushing slightly as Ratchet swallowed hard.

‘Now or never…’

“Ditzy…will you be my marefriend?”

Ditzy blushed more and was about to reply when they heard Rarity call over to them, they turned to see she was walking with Spike who had the biggest grin Ratchet or Ditzy had ever seen in their lives.

“Hey guys” Ditzy giggled “How’s your day been?”

“Well” Rarity began “We arrived at the address of the client and delivered the dress which she LOVED” Rarity dramatically lifted her hoof up as she said the last word. “Then my darling Spikey Wikey here took me to lunch at the most gorgeous restaurant and treated me like I was Princess Celestia herself!” she pulled Spike into a tight hug which he gladly returned still grinning, Ratchet and Ditzy both noticed he wasn’t blushing this time.

“So all in all a good day then?” Ratchet asked.

“You bet! It got better when I well…you know…got it off my chest” Spike replied

“Wait…you asked her?” Ditzy gasped as Spike nodded.

“Rarity is my marefriend” Spike grinned as Rarity gave him a kiss on the cheek smiling happily.

“Congratulations you guys!” Ditzy said as Ratchet and Spike high hoofed. As Ditzy and Rarity giggled and spoke together Spike took ratchet to one side.

“Hey man did you ask Ditzy yet?” he whispered.

“Yeah…but you guys turned up before I got an answer” Ratchet sighed as Spike rubbed the back of his head.

“Oh…sorry man”

“It’s cool…just gotta wait I guess”

“Watch were you’re going you dumb bitch!”

The two spun round to see an angry looking stallion standing near Ditzy and Rarity with two others next to him, a blue Pegasus on his right and a light grey unicorn on his left. Ditzy was on the floor and Rarity was trying to help her up.

“I-I’m sorry mister I didn’t see you-“

“With eyes like that I can see why” the white stallion growled as his to cohorts laughed.

“Why you brute!” Rarity glared at him helping Ditzy up.

“What the hay do you think you’re doing?” Ratchet shouted angrily as he ran over with Spike standing between him and Ditzy ”No pony talks to Ditzy like that!”

“What are you going to do about it boy! Maybe if your little marefriend had better bucking vision she wouldn’t have walked into me like the dumb bitch she is!”

“Maybe you should open your eyes and watch out for other ponies” Ratchet shouted back, by this time there was a crowd gathering of ponies some muttering to themselves

“Some pony better get a guard this looks like it’s going to end nasty”

“Ten bits on the big guy”

“Nah twenty on the lil on”

Ratchet ignored this and kept his eyes on the three in front of him.

“Apologise to her”

The stallion snorted and smirked “I’ll apologise…if the bitch comes back to my place and gives me a ‘reason’ to”

Ratchet snapped, turning his body around he suddenly bucked hard with his back legs into the Stallions face. Startled the Stallion fell onto his flank holding his face roaring in pain.

“GET HIM” he shouted at the other two

The two were about to charge Ratchet before the sounds of ponies being pushed aside were heard and they turned to see two armoured guards holding their spears up with their magic glaring at the group

“What’s going on here” one of them demanded.

The stallion Ratchet kicked stood up and smiled at the guards. “Nothing sirs…just a ‘disagreement’ between friends is all…we’ll be on our way, come on boys”

The stallion pushed his way out of the crowd followed by his two associates leaving the guards with Ratchet.
“What was that all about?” one of the guards asked him.

“I’ll tell you what it was!” Rarity snapped “Those brutes shoved my dear friend Ditzy here down and insulted her, all Ratchet was doing was protecting her!”

“Is that true sir?” the guard asked Ratchet, before Ratchet replied some pony in the crowd called out

“It is we saw the whole thing!”

“The guy had it coming officers”

“Yeah…and you owe me twenty”

The guards took note of it and nodded.

“Very well…would you like us to arrest them Sir?”

Ratchet shook his head “No thank you…think I gave him something worse than being arrested.”

“Very well, carry on” the guard nodded as the crowds dispersed one pony happily holding a bag of twenty bits in his mouth.
Ratchet turned to Ditzy and was taken by surprise as she wrapped herself around his neck in a tight hug and sniffled.

“Thank you Ratchet…no ponies ever stood up for me like that…and you’ve done it twice today…”

“It’s fine Ditzy…that guy had it coming he had no right-“He was cut short by Ditzy.

“Yes”

“What do you mean?”

“I will be your marefriend…”

Ratchet was about to say something but was interrupted by Ditzy kissing him on the lips, he blinked a couple of times as Ditzy giggled. Rarity clapped her hooves and Spike gave him a grin, the group noticed it was getting late and headed off to meet Twilight at the train station. When they arrived Twilight was waiting there reading a book she had picked up and looked up to see them, she smiled seeing Spike on Rarity’s back with her smiling and Ditzy and Ratchet walking very close to one another who were both also smiling.

“I take it todays been a good day?”

“And how!” Spike grinned as he kissed Rarity’s cheek.

As Rarity Spike and Ditzy brought Twilight up to speed and boarded the train waiting at the station Ratchet had the feeling he was being watched and turned around to scan the area, he didn’t see anything and got onto the train, as he did a hooded figure ran from the station onto the streets before slowing to a quick walk and looking up to see two stallions looking like they were searching for some pony. The figure stepped to one side and followed them for a while before one of them spoke up.

“Damn we lost the little brown guy and his crossed eyed bitch”

“The boss is gunna be mad at us”

“Come on we better go tell him”

Under the hood of the figure unseen to any pony an evil smile was etched on its face as it followed the two Stallions, after a short while the two came to a building in the lower parts of the streets of Canterlot and looked around before entering it. They climbed up the stairs and knocked on a door before entering, inside was the same white stallion from the fair holding an ice pack his expression angry. The blue Pegasus spoke first

“Sorry boss…we lost him at the train station”

The stallion leant back in his chair and growled placing an ice pack to his cheek.

“Your both complete bucking idiots…” he swivelled the char to face the window “Now I can’t pay that little bucker back for injuring me!”

A mare’s giggle made the three in the room turn to face the doorway, standing there was a cloaked figure that started to approach.

“Hold it there you don’t come any closer to the boss!”

The figure stopped and lowered the hood of the cloak.

“I know where he lives…” she said with an evil smirk on her face

“I see…and what do you want in return for giving me this info?” The stallion asked

“Exactly what you want” the blue mare brushed her light blue mane from her face and smirked again "Revenge..."