• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 5,157 Views, 97 Comments

Alternate Geoverse #1: To Learn Is Human - GeodesicDragon



A human is transported to Equestria after a near-death experience. His first contact is with a certain teacher and three of her students. From there a friendship blossoms into love. Part of the Alternate Geoverse.

  • ...
22
 97
 5,157

Fruition - Part One

CHAPTER EIGHT

Fruition - Part One

For a whole fortnight after our encounter in Sugarcube Corner I didn't see hide nor hair of Time Turner, thus allowing Cheerilee and I to enjoy our holiday in peace. We spent as much time as possible together by having picnics, going for walks, stargazing... anything which allowed us to appreciate each others company.

We even decided that it was time to advance to the next stage in our relationship, which was an experience all in itself. But as we lay in bed together, my arm draped around Cheerilee's shoulders as she snuggled next to me, I still wondered just what that jealous son of a bitch was up to.

The first day of the new term was now upon us, and I was eager to get back to work. I had enjoyed my holiday, but I had missed working with the foals. I was looking forward to hearing their stories of what they did in their time off — because writing an essay about it was to be their first assignment.

As I lay awake with my thoughts I felt Cheerilee stirring. She looked up at me and a warm smile crossed her lips. I smiled back and gently kissed the top of her head. However, she didn't fail to notice the sullen expression which graced my features before.

"Don't pretend like I didn't see that." She said sternly. "Something is troubling you, now tell me what it is."

"It's nothing." I sighed. "I was just thinking about Time Turner and what he's up to. I just... I just know he's planning something. You heard what he said to me in Sugarcube Corner, he's hell-bent on getting me locked up for the rest of my life."

"Don't talk like that." Cheerilee tightened her hold on me. "Time Turner is nothing but a jealous fool. His words mean nothing to me, so they should mean nothing to you as well. You're forgetting, Geo, that it's been two weeks since that day in Sugarcube Corner. So if he was going to do anything he would have done it by now."

"I guess so." I paused for a moment. "But what if he's being meticulous in his planning? What if he's putting together something so great, that it will surely lead to my downfall? What if—"

Cheerilee interrupted me by bringing her lips to mine. The resulting kiss was passionate, and worked very well in making me forget about my worries.

"What if..." Cheerilee said as she pulled away from me. "What if you are worrying over nothing? Time Turner knows that the majority of ponies here approve of our relationship, so with that fact in mind he won't do anything to ruin it. Because if he does, he wouldn't be a very popular stallion."

I tapped my chin in thought. She had a point, and the smug grin on her face told me that she knew it.

"You're right." I said, returning her grin with one of my own. "I need to stop fretting over nothing."

"Good man." Cheerilee giggled. "Now come on, we need to get ready for work."

As I dragged myself out of bed I repeated what I had said over and over to myself, hoping that I was right.

***

The classroom was quiet, save for the scribbling of quills on parchment. The Crusaders were bunched together, as usual, and appeared to be writing a small novel. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were writing slowly and methodically, Snips and Snails were plodding along and the rest of the class were working at the pace which suited them best.

As Cheerilee and I watched them work, there was a quiet knock at the door. I got up and went over to answer it when I saw who was on the other side. I quietly motioned to Cheerilee to come over, which she did with some concern.

"Who is it?" She whispered. I told her and she stifled a gasp. "Really? Well then... I guess we'd better talk to him." She turned to the class. "Geo and I are stepping out for a moment, please continue writing your essays."

The foals nodded as we both stepped out into the corridor — where a sheepish Time Turner stood, scuffing a forehoof along the floor. He greeted us both with a small smile, but seemed reluctant to maintain eye contact. After a brief period of awkward silence, he finally decided to speak.

"I know I'm probably the last pony you want to see." He said. "But please hear me out. I'm here to apologise for my behaviour. I've been thinking a lot over the last two weeks, and I've finally seen sense. It is not my place to question who you are with, Cheerilee. You rejected me, and I couldn't accept that. But now I see that you are happy with Geo, and he is happy with you. What kind of heartless monster would I be if I ruined that?"

I looked at him blankly. I had been expecting him to try something... just not this. He looked back at us, waiting patiently for either of us to respond to his little speech.

"Um..." Cheerilee replied at last. "Thank you? I... I really don't know what else to say besides that."

"Me neither." I added. "Other than I accept your apology."

"Oh, thank you!" Time Turner looked relieved. "Now, as a way of apologising even further, I have arranged for the two of you to enjoy a lovely picnic under the stars tonight. There is a beautiful area not far from here where the view of the sky is just perfect."

"That sounds wonderful." Cheerilee simpered. "What do you say, Geo? Can we go?"

I looked at her, knowing that I had no way of refusing the pleading gaze she was using against me. I nodded once and smiled, much to Cheerilee's delight.

"Wonderful!" Time Turner said as he produced a piece of paper from his mane. "Here are the directions you need. Everything you need – food, drinks, blanket, and so forth – will be ready for you by the time you get there, so you don't need to bring anything... except for your wonderful selves of course."

He passed the paper to Cheerilee, who passed it to me. I glanced at it and saw that the directions would take us near the Everfree Forest, but thankfully not into it. I put the paper in my pocket and held out my hand.

"Thank you for your kindness." I said. "I hope that we can become good friends now, and put the past behind us."

"Likewise." Time Turner shook my hand. "Now, I'll let you both get back to work. Have fun tonight, and tell me how it went!"

With a wave he left, allowing Cheerilee and I to re-enter the classroom, which was full of idle chatter between the students. The rest of the day was spent listening to the Crusaders reading their essay — as nopony else got a chance to read theirs.

***

Following Time Turner's directions later that night led Cheerilee and I to a small clearing surrounded by trees. True to his word we found that a picnic had been set up, and there was even a telescope to allow us to gaze at the magnificent sky above.

We sat on a blanket and snuggled up together, content to bask in the serenity of our surroundings. But as I opened the basket to check what had been prepared for us, the faint snapping of twigs caught our attention.

Followed closely by a foul smell and a feral growl.

Author's Note:

Yeah, it's Timberwolves. Original, I know. But I promise I am going somewhere with this.